Continental Drift - Our Journey

Toitjie

26 July

I have been offline for a couple of days...been in hospital and going stir-crazy. I requested dear hubby to please swing by this morning and bring my laptop so I have something to distract me.

Monday evenings I ride (horses) and this week, my dear horse, named Rewa, decided that she wanted to test my clinging abilities and threw me off. I landed so hard I instantly knew I was going to die right there (this is the first time I ever fell so that I was "winded" - "val jou wind uit"). Literally I couldnt breathe. But alas, I survived. Next day I went for physio and x-rays and here is where the fun started.

First they said I broke my spine...then they came down to broken vertebrae...later it was called fractured. So it left me quite bewildered....went to see an orthopedic surgeon who said its a compression fracture and I have to be hospitalised and get a brace.

Me, not being a medical doctor, asked what a fracture is. Is it broken or just cracked...I mean...I have to know. His answer was "A fracture is a fracture". So none the wiser I pitched up at hospital yesterday, saw the ortotist and physio today and they explained that a compression fracture sounds worse than it actually is. The 2 vertebrae in question physically compressed or compacted so in order to keep my back straight, I now have to wear the brace for 3 months, but other than that, Im fine and will heal 100%.

My only question was, will I ride again and when?

But this experience made me realise that Im not invincible as I thought I was. I thought nothing will ever happen to me. And 1 fall changes everything. My shoulder took most of the impact. If it hadn't my spinal injury might have been totally different. Had it been, we would possibly have missed our booked flights for November. So many things can change in an instant.

So now I am utterly and completely bored out of my mind....lying on my back and being still is not part of my DNA.

Its interesting to observe hospitals, personnel, the medical etc. Firstly, I am thankful for a medical aid because without it wouldnt have been able to get an MRI and a brace (both costs R 7000)

Im not a regular hospital resident but the level of care is, albeit better than state hospital, not of the standard I experienced 8 years ago when baby was born. The nurses are ok but not very knowledgeable about things that I ask them about. The personnel who took me for the MRI bumped my bed into every single doorway they went through, after being told to be careful as its a back-injury. You are totally at the mercy of strangers and I was a little miffed with them.

One roommie had a few magazines in her drawer and when the nurse saw them she immediately took them and told the lady she wants to read them and will bring them back tomorrow morning when she is done. Uhmmm.....aren't you supposed to be working??

anyway...I should probably stop typing, I can go on forever. :)

Geez Toitjie! This is the last thing you need right now! I hope you make a speedy recovery. You have to get to Canberra in one piece!

lol....if that's the last thing I do...I WILL ride a Brumby :)

• Like 1

I think I have a dirty mind because when I read your reply above I immediately thought of the rugby union team the ACT Brumbies. Sies Kurkprop get your mind out of the gutter!

• Like 3

ha ha ha...Kurkprop..dont feel bad...when I read it myself I had the same thought, but I thought, bugger it, Im not changing my post now :)

Ouch Toitjie, hope you get better soon........that is a serious injury, take it easy, as for the bashing into the walls I think it is the universe just convincing you for the final time that its time to goooooo, if all goes well we will fly early November......would realy like to meet you and Family, thank you for all your help in our journey........

Kurkprop you bad girl. But thanks for the chuckle. Aren't the Brumbies in Pretoria at the mo ? Maybe Toitjie ...............

Toitjie, I'm so sorry you took such a nasty tumble, but I'm glad it's not as bad as first predicted. At least this shouldn't make you have to change your plans for November. But take it easy. And hope your stay in hospital isnt too lengthy. Especially with nurses that are clumsy and take your reading material !!

This week I have heard good news - well I think so anyways - that crime rates are down in the ACT and that we have the second strongest growing economy in Australia after WA.

So that surely is some good news for you all that are going to be calling Canberra home.

Speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Im sore as hell and I look like a tellytubby ;)

The doctor said I was not to take the brace off ever, I have to bath with it, you get the idea...but I simply cant. Its too uncomfortable, and I cannot sleep with the damn thing. I can lie only on my back and it gets very painful lying like that, so I take it off somewhere in the middle of the night when I cant take it anymore

but during the day, when I am upright, I almost don't feel anything, if I keep still. I think I was very lucky, the fractures aren't deep enough for them to fuse the vertebrae together, so hopefully it will mend soon.

Mostly Im just bored, Im not used to sitting still and reading is nice, but I dont think I can do this for 6 weeks. I have decided to see how I feel after 4 weeks and then maybe go back to work :) we'll see....

Thanx for asking :) I appreciate it. Cant wait to meet all my Canberrie friends

Poor Toitjie ! Maybe your horse sensed you're going to leave. Sitting still is not always a bad thing to do - I've been a 'runner', a performer for too many years. Some time ago God forced me to be still, to rest more. Somehow I learned that 'doing nothing' has a way to be amazingly productive ! :) I have a friend that started visiting weekly, she has the ability to 'do nothing' for a whole day without being bored, feeling guilty or stressed. I sat the first few visits with always 'something to do' in my hands, frustrated at the 'loss of time'. Since I was forced to do nothing, the days she visits, became a wonderful 'oasis day' for me in the middle of a busy week. Now I look forward to Wednesdays and ENJOY the chat, the sitting about 'doing nothing' ! Maybe invite someone over for a cup of coffee and a nice chat !

• Like 1

Alida, such good advice! I have to learn to not feel guilty, I think that's it. Not going to work makes me feel guilty for being at home while Im actually ok..... I will try your advice...

Your penny dropped - we often think that 'doing something' gives us worth. Not so. Our worth is in that we were planned, birthed, loved, accepted by the One Who made us. Then we can rest. Welcome to the sweetness of guilt-free rest !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

8 August

Today I officially resigned! :) Although dated 1 September....

But it was an anti-climax. Im not really sure what I expected, but hubby took me to the office where I thought my colleagues and supervisor would be happy to see me, ask how things are, and chat a little.

They were too busy to talk to me, said I should wait in my office, they will make a turn but after waiting for 1.5 hours I decided stuff them, these people are not my friends as I thought.

The support services lady to whom I was supposed to give my resignation also told me to wait a little, then wait a little more. In the end I put my resignation under her door.

At that moment my whole professional career with this employer was summed up as "we will take from you what we can, when we can, but give nothing back"

I felt really lousy that after 18 years of faithful loyal service, I had to resign by placing my resignation letter under someone's door.

But its over now, I have had a momentary lapse and feeling of feeling sorry for myself.

But Im passed that...they could kiss my *** ;)

• Like 4

Shew , 18 years is a long long time with one employer. Must have been a great job.

Was this your first time back after the fall ? If so you would think yr colleagues would be a little concerned and be happy to see you back, not tell you to wait in your office.

Anyways, look on the bright side, not too long and you'll be in Canberra. Good luck to your soon to be ex employer trying to replace you. That's when they will realize their loss.

• Like 1

Well done, you're free, makes you realise what's important in life...........

• Like 1

yes Lyn...first time back...so I thought they would like to see my robocop outfit :)

anyway...good riddance

but 18 years is long. Apart from a job I did when I was 21 years old for about 5 months, this is the only job I ever had..I grew with the company and the post and this is my first resignation from a permanent job, so I thought there would be thunder-crashes and lightning when I resigned...lol :)

• Like 1

lol....if that's the last thing I do...I WILL ride a Brumby :)

Only read this today - but be careful - after all Christopher Reeve was Superman one moment and a paraplegic the next.

Only read this today - but be careful - after all Christopher Reeve was Superman one moment and a paraplegic the next.

OBD - true, but I dont believe in playing it safe. I dont want to live my life thinking about what can go wrong all the time..all the risks. I mean...its far riskier to drive on any South African highway than riding a brumby. With a brumby you just have to hold on :)

We all have to die, and true, I dont want to be a paraplegic but horses is such a passion of mine, I cannot imagine not riding again. risks and all.... ;)

• Like 1

OBD - true, but I dont believe in playing it safe. I dont want to live my life thinking about what can go wrong all the time..all the risks. I mean...its far riskier to drive on any South African highway than riding a brumby. With a brumby you just have to hold on :)

... and bring him a beer afterwards? ;)

We all have to die, and true, I dont want to be a paraplegic but horses is such a passion of mine, I cannot imagine not riding again. risks and all.... ;)

Sure - hang on till you get here, the hospitals are better ...... :)

• Like 1

Just wanted to share, I only recently found this out but you may have heard -

I was at the arboretum for brekkie, and saw people riding their horses along the paths thru the newly planted trees. This is obviously something that is done there as there are street signs alerting you to riders. I know if I was a horsey person, this would be a lovely spot for a leisurely ride - never mind all the other amazing places around Canberra.

• Like 1

I cant wait Lyn...although hubby says I should rather take up ice skating with you as its a little safer than horses :)

Your husband is right - skating is safer - I stop when I want to stop - horses stop when they want to stop.

I cant wait Lyn...although hubby says I should rather take up ice skating with you as its a little safer than horses :)

Beware of ice skating. I cracked my coccyx a couple of years ago doing some ice skating. Was off work for 6 weeks and still, from time to time have a lot of pain due to inflamation in the area.

Beware of ice skating. I cracked my coccyx a couple of years ago doing some ice skating. Was off work for 6 weeks and still, from time to time have a lot of pain due to inflamation in the area.

Jou gat afgeval as we used to say - we're not that crude any more ..... ;)

• Like 1

Behoorlik my gat afgeval en kry nounog partymaal 'n kramp in my $&@?!

• Like 1