Continental Drift - Our Journey

Toitjie

I remember my husband finished work a month before departure and was going to do all rhese things and pack up etc. and then promtly got a epic bout of flu and was flat on his back for over a week. It was like his body just collapsed in a sigh of relief. I on the otherhand (being a workaholic) worked up to the end (I think 2 days defore departure)! Take care of yourself in this last stretch, take extra Vit C or echeanacia (spelling?) or what ever boosts your immunity.

• Like 1

Yip and 2 a.m. Here I sit paging through the forum, I also finnished work today T. Odd feeling to be giving up a good job in todays economy, 4 weeks till we fly, got the jitters..........

Yip and 2 a.m. Here I sit paging through the forum, I also finnished work today T. Odd feeling to be giving up a good job in todays economy, 4 weeks till we fly, got the jitters..........

Mike - Im so excited for you guys! I cant believe this is happening, and its coming like a freight train bearing down on us :) I cant wait to hear your thoughts on Canberra and Amaroo though

• Like 1

shew exciting stuff! So close now...

6 October

Just a note of caution to those bringing animals over. I have received an invoice for Eastern Creek Animal Quarantine Station - $1305. Lucy is supposed to fly out 10 December and be released to us around 10 January 2014

On the invoice it states that all fees need to be paid before the animal can be released, so I always thought that this payment at least we can do when we are in Oz, with the funds from my pension fund that unfortunately only pays out days before we fly out.

Well this seems not to be the case. I have spoken to the station directly and they have made a tentative booking for Lucy and expect full payment within 14 days of invoice. Should I not pay, they cannot hold the booking.

Also - until they have received the full payment, they will not give the airline authorisation to load the animal for flight

$#%%$&&%^%$# this was not part of my budget...I am unemployed :) and our funds need to be allocated to survival for 2 more months, container cost and pocket money. This was a little unexpected to say the least!

Oy Toitjie, what a nightmare. Can you talk to someone at the shelter over the phone and explain the situation?

:( :( :( I really hope you can work something out.

Thanx McCabes - I decided to pay a deposit (it shows intent) and then hope for the best. I told him I will pay all of it end November so I dont see why the fuss...but anyway...what would this process be if not challenging :)

I guess there's always going to be something isn't there?

hugs - hang in there, I really hope they keep the spot and let you pay in November - I don't see the problem either but I guess they've had enough bookings fall through that they need to be careful...

• Like 1

I just wanted to give you a huge huge hug!! It must be so frustrating to deal with these sudden unexpected things. This too shall pass!

• Like 1

8 October

Sometimes, in between all the stress and challenges, some things work out splendidly right?

We have 2 cars to sell but for hubby's car we still owe a lot of money, and the dealerships are offering us about R 60 000 below its book value and what we owe...so its a tough one.

My car on the other hand has been paid off so I have a little more flexibility. Two days ago I searched the internet and sent a few emails. Got a couple of calls yesterday, one specifically is a dealer from Joburg who viewed the car today and bought it right there on the spot. I got R 1500 less than the book value so I am thrilled with that. Still dont understand why with hubby's car they wont get near book value.

But he went to the bank, did an EFT...I had a few heartstopping moments imagining he is going to try to reverse the transaction etc...but the money is still there.

So my car has been sold, without me really even trying, and now I can pay for Lucy's final passage in Sydney before they get their knickers in a knot :)

• Like 2

Glad that worked out and Lucy still on her way to Aus - then again I'm sure you would have moved heaven and earth to get her here.

Thanx Lyn...yes I am so happy...I would have made it one way or another... :)

Im so happy that you are on the forum again...I REALLY missed you!

Didn't realise anyone would really notice if I was here or not. :hug:

In my absence I got hooked on pinterest ! So I was never too far away and I did check in to see you and Mike were doing ok.

Well not too long to go now, Christmas is fast approaching meaning your time is nearly up in RSA. On the 25th of Nov its the kids and my five year Oz Anniversary, hubby already had his on 3 Oct. Nov was a good time for us, and I hope that as you are coming the same time you and your family will be just as blessed as we have been.

• Like 1

seems Im asking a lot of dumb questions lately :) but what is pinterest?

No such thing as a dumb question Y, its an online pinboard - Where I live out my dreams in sun drenched Provence in my stone chateau surrounded by lavender fields and then head to my beach house on the weekend. LOL Have a peek sometime, but be warned, its like the forum, you can get hooked and spend your life pinning.

seems Im asking a lot of dumb questions lately :) but what is pinterest?

A very addictive, mobile data hungry moster that distracts ADHD people like me from doing real work. :P

please send me a link or something so I can check it out...I am intrigued....this is just what the doctor ordered for an insomniac like me :)

Woooohooo!!!! Great news :)

thanx...it looks very interesting...its almost like a tumblr?

17 October

As of today I am the proud owner of a Nissan X-trail..waiting for me in Canberra.

I know that we should probably have bought a smaller car first, but I have weighed up the pros and cons and our specific needs and the X-trail won! We are planning to travel around a lot, especially to the coast and I think its just better having a safer and higher car than a small city car.

I am extremely excited..I never had a Nissan before, never a car or rather SUV like this :)

• Like 1

Yeehaa, wonderful, please send me the details of who you got it through, looking for similar........Should I test drive it for you......;), congrats !!

Mike - I worked through Lennock Motors in Phillip. Lyn and Orion on the forum gave very good testimony of their excellent service, and I personally worked with Jimmy, who was incredibly patient, good humoured and nice with me. Another FB forumite who is an auto-mechanic went to check it out for me.

Did you get the white one for 12ish ? Remember seeing one advertised, PM me if you want to chat how much etc, Def going to use them, been scouting their stock on Lyns advice too, realy nice to know that theres a reliable service component attached to a deal thanks