Not so settled

UnsureGC

Question

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and been living in Australia for 3.5 years now.

I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there considering moving back to SA? If so please tell me your story... I have been living overseas for 8 years in total now and I still miss my family and SA terribly. I have been home every year since leaving to travel so I am fully aware of everything changing and happening there.

Please don't reply to this message if you are going to try and convince me that SA is a terrible place, I just really want to hear from other people that may be feeling the same way as me and how they are dealing with it.

Look forward to hearing from you :blush:

There is no easy way out of this, you both have to work this together and operate as a team, you will not survive if you don't do that. 10 Days is way to short, you at least would need to stick it out for 2 years before making a call to go back. Change is difficult, immigration even worse but I CAN PROMISE YOU THIS IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT, NOT ONLY FOR YOU BUT ALSO FOR YOUR KIDS!!!! We have done this as well, did not have a job but were determined to make it work. Be prepared to work hard at it, nobody ever said it was easy but as sure as hell, it is worth it!!!!

You can not give up after 10 days, just take one day at a time, try to apply for more position and go for interviews, PM me and I can provide you with info on how to prepare for interviews, what to wear and etc. Don't give up, your future is in Oz, otherwise why have you done all the effort to be here?

Going back after 10 days in my opinion will be a mistake---a costly mistake. Nothing happened in SA in the past 10 days that made it any better than before you left, a couple of people got murdered and rape perhaps...….

Hi Sam, good to see you back on the Forum. Been a long time since we had that get together back in Pretoria, how are you going?

Edited by Leon

Lurinda en gesin

Ons is vandag 5 maande in Oz. En glo my, ek is deur presies dieselfde ding. Ek het gevoel of ek doodgaan. Het heeltyd getwyfel of ek die regte ding gedoen het en wou met alle mag net teruggaan. Dis moeilik, maar soos almal vir julle se, byt net vas, dit vat net tyd! Ek het na 3 maande begin voel of ek "belong" en nou wil ek nie teruggaan nie. Ons mis die familie, maar jy gaan hulle weer sien, en probeer net onthou hoekom julle gekom het!

Ek het news24 gelees en probeer om myself te herinner aan die dinge wat my daar uit gedryf het. Nou gaan ek nie eers meer op news24 se website nie, ek weet hoekom ek hier is. In die begin moet jy jouself herinner hoekom jy nie moet teruggaan nie, en later kom jy agter hoekom jy wil bly.... Daars 'n verskil!

Praat net oor alles en huil as jy wil al is jy 'n man....maar moet nie opkrop nie!

Sterkte, hoop dit gaan sommer gou beter!

Dear Nats123, Elizes, Heymanse,

I couldn't help to burst out with laughter.

I am in the exact same boat (what is your cabin numbers :ilikeit: ), share the same experiences.

Been here 3 months and also still do not have permanent work.

I have applied to roughly 100 jobs (no Joke) posted on seek.com and various newspapers.

I have recieved dear Johnnies by e-mail, telephone and even by post.

I think the only way i did not recieve a dear johnnie is by african drum ( bos telegraaf) :rolleyes:

I do odd jobs as they come along, currently providing for jam on the kids sandwiches, maybe have an interview next week which can provide Avo on the samies and eventuly aiming for something that will provide the Enterprise.

I now have fun with the applications, keep the family positive and try and get the kids to learn something from the curve balls that life throws at you.

When i send a cv the kids already ask if its for Avo or Enterprise and when its declined, its back to jam. :ilikeit:

On a more serious note.

I have full sympathy with your husbands.

I also had a good job in SA, excellent relationship with my colleagues, decent salary and lived very comfortable.(house was paid for, very cosy)

Through the years you build up skills, knowledge and respect in the company you worked for and here nobody knows you, you are a foreigner/outsider and you have to start all over and right from the bottom again.

Tough to say the least.

But it is important to know that it won't last forever.

As long as you keep on searching and applying for work you will find something eventuly, just don't give up.

Oz is the most regulated country in the world, you need a licence, certificate for anything you want to do - thus get into the Ausie way of doing things.

Attend a course in your line of work if it will help you gain easier access to a job.

If it will take to long to complete, do some research through the various websites, newspapers etc.

Try and find something that there are a demand for and go do the training.

(an example, if you can drive a car, you can drive a forklift or learn how to drive it.There is always of work available for licenced forklift drivers)

It might not be the best paying job but you will have an income untill you find the position that will provide the Enterprise.

But(another but) it all depends on you, if you are willing to do whatever work there is.

There is honour in any position/job, does not matter what you are doing, just my opinion.

The picture of the frog that has his hands around the neck of the bird that just swallowed it, comes to mind.

Never give up.

And as Hendie always says - "hou jou oog op die bal" stay focussed not matter what.

Edited by Willie P

I just want to say THANK YOU for all your messages. Yes, I had hubby read it too and guess what, finally a laughter broke through. Yeeeaaahh!!

Hey "Heymanse"

Sounds like you going through a tough time.

I can go on about what you have left behind but you know all that.

I am just repeating what all the other folk have said. 10 days is not enough. You have spent alot of money getting there.You planned this for like 3 years.You have to give it more time.

SA is not floating to another universe-it will always be here and things wont be better here then when you left.

Its hard to prescribe how much time you should give OZ as we all different but i reckon atleast a year-all four seasons as my grandpa used to say.

I dont know if you have read my previous posts,basically i dont want to leave either but i have no choice.One cannot live a normal life in these conditions.

You there now so make the most of it.You probably saying its rich coming from someone who has not experienced what you going through,but just think,you can offer me the same advice when i land in OZ.

Vasbyt

Patrick

For all those out there who have doubts

My family and I were attacked in our home, Tuesday 4 Dec 2007, 8:15 pm, 5 guys, armed with guns, tied us up (my kids too - 11, 8, 5 and 3 years old), pillow cases over our heads, trashed my home and left with our bakkie and all our clothing and electronic appliances when the power went out an hour later - Eishkom!!!

People keep telling me that we are "lucky" - to be held hostage in our own home, tied up and beaten with the butt of a gun ? Ja, I suppose we're lucky......

We left the home that we had built and paid for, on the plot that I had grown up on, planted every tree and blade of grass, my babies were born in, and which we valued and loved. We just did not feel safe anymore. And don't get me wrong - we had beams in the garden, sensors on every door and window, razor wire, dogs, and ADT armed response (who responded 2 hours later on the night in question).

We are now renting in a golf estate that we can't really afford but need to be safe while processing application (heard today that South Australian sponsorship has been approved !!!!)

I love this country, its in my blood. But I need to live in a country where its ok to be middle class. Where its ok if you can't afford the 10ft wall and security guards.

Don't be too hard on those of us who vent on this forum - ITS OUR THERAPY ! and it helps !

Stats released on monday - murder rate down so now only 50.6 people are murdered in this country per day

40 family's are attacked in their homes everyday !!!!! What chance does that give you of becoming a statistic ......!!!!!

Don't let it touch you, YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the inspiratioon and chuckles hehe

Its not an easy thing but it just tkaes time!

Hang in there and just shout out for help or a shoulder!

Nats

i know this is not the forum for this question...but do i need my birth certificate over there for anything?

Like applying for citizenship etc etc...

Yes, bring an unabridged birth certificate with. You will need it for your citizenship application.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and been living in Australia for 3.5 years now.

I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there considering moving back to SA? If so please tell me your story... I have been living overseas for 8 years in total now and I still miss my family and SA terribly. I have been home every year since leaving to travel so I am fully aware of everything changing and happening there.

Please don't reply to this message if you are going to try and convince me that SA is a terrible place, I just really want to hear from other people that may be feeling the same way as me and how they are dealing with it.

Look forward to hearing from you :rolleyes:

G'day UnsureGC!

It is only 'normal' to miss your family and friends and yes i have had days like that but then i just hit them an email and say: hey i got the kettle on, join me for a cuppa! It works! We have been here for just over 2 years and we love our new carefree lifestyle. Life is full of ups and downs - everybody deals with it in their own way. Cheer up mate! :ilikeit: Think about the good times still to come! You live on the Gold Coast?

cheers and have a good day!

I'm not in Australia, but in Canada and can relate to many who posted here. The first few months are terrible for everyone. I remember lying in bed and thinking: "I'm trapped! This is a foreign land, they don't know my language and they think I talk funny."

At first I constantly listened to South African radio on the internet, played my South African music and tears streamed down my cheeks when I read the beautiful poetry that I grew up with.

It takes time. Hang in there. Many find that things gradually change after about three years, and the longing slowly decreases. You start talking to the family on Skype, stop reading the Beeld and Sunday Times as often as you used to and actually become interested in local news and politics. You know you're "home" when the local politicians START to irritate you. :rolleyes:

Then suddenly one day you discover that this new strange national anthem is also yours, and you stand with a lump in your throat when you yourself sing it for the first time. You see how everyone work together, volunteer in the community and are proud of their country, and suddenly you find yourself doing it and feeling the same. You become part of your new country.

We left South Africa after retirement and followed our children to North America (your parents can do this too!) We have been in Canada for the past seven years and became Canadians in 2005. The road was extremely difficult at times, but the end result made it all wortwhile. A little piece of us will forever remain in South Africa, but our future will now be elsewhere.

Never stop praying for South Africa, but put your own family first. They depend on you to keep them safe, and it's easier to do so in Australia.

Cathy Kotzé

All I can say.After living in the USA(4 years) and been back in SA for 5 years. Leaving for Australia permenantely next year(can't wait and neither can my wife or kids). When you are in SA you are giving up certain things and when you move to another country(no matter which) you are giving up certain things. Each person is different and has different priorities, needs etc. Only you yourself can decide what you are prepared to sacrifice and give up. Make a list of pro's and con's and make your dicision based on this. And alsways go back to that list when emotion overtakes you.

Thanks and good luck.

Mark

Thanx Mark,

My husband is feely much better but are still getting anxiety attacks at time. I suppose its normal with him not having a job yet and feeling that he, as the man in the house, should be able to provide for his family. We've been sitting here applying left right and centre for anything and everything that comes up on search for job sites.

We are a bit stressed but at this point, going back is definately not an option anymore. We'll tough it out here, everyone else has done it and gotten through it, so I suppose we can too. At least he's got 2 interviews lined up for this week and there might be a few more, who knows?

Thanks for all the uplifting posts and reply everyone! We wouldn't have made it through if it wasn't for all of the advice and guidance? Now if someone can just explain to me exactly in plain English Centrelink is and if we would be able to apply for it? I'm totally confused about this?

Thanks

Lurinda & Wicus

Tell me, anyone on this forum, who tell me that SA is crumbling, after 14 years has there ever been a racial uprising?

Has your view changed since you made this comment?? Just curious!

Another crime stat-R200M got stolen over a period of couple of years by 4 people.

Mbeki knew about it and did nothing.

We have not heard anything since and i doubt the culprits will be punished.

But when there is no more money left to waste they will blame apartheid in some way or form to the poor people for lack of delivery-not corruption by themselves.

I think the hard part is understanding the way africa thinks because it lacks reason and thought.Any person with common sense would know that all this corruption results in the poor not getting basic services. But its the self same poor people that will vote for the ANC again and again...

Its really frustrating....

A question for those in OZ.

How have the Aussies accepted all the South Africans over there?Have you managed to integrate pretty well?

Plus,are there any other deep problems that the aussies face or have to deal with in their politics?Are they not struggling with a huge influx of people from Asia?How they dealing with that?

I know no country is perfect hence my questions above.

Feel free to list any other things that come to mind.

Thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I can't speak for other cities as I only know Perth, but I never for one day felt that the Aussies are shifting us aside. If you look at their history of immigrants, you'll find that it has always been a huge part of their history. I think it's more strange for us than for them.

The Asian influx is visible in Perth but still a huge minority. I do believe Sydney is flooded with Asians but that's all "hear say". But you can't compare the percentage of Asians in Aus to all the "other" nations represented in SA. Darwin is also flooded with Asians due to their location close to the Asian islands.

We have only been here a few days, but we have found the people really nice. They get excited when we tell them we are plannign to settle her permanently :ilikeit: No negative comments so far. When they hear you are an immigrant, they seem to want to help even more.

Hi Everybody.

You can say what you want, things are different here, and sometimes things arent all better out here, BUT you are safe, your kids are safe, your living standards and working standards are better, the people are really friendly, and I can go on and on. So what if you have to pay for medicine here and there and so what if you have to pay for your dentist. At least you don't have to pay for your docter. You don't have to pay for school. If you don't have a job, you get subsidised by the government.

It took us only three weeks to settle in. Yes I miss my family, but I have never once wanted to go back.

Debbie

Hi Debbie May

Welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post?

as you have arrived recently it would be much appreciated if you could high light some of the differences that you've experienced.

it really helps to be forewarned.

regards

Antoinette

as you have arrived recently it would be much appreciated if you could high light some of the differences that you've experienced.

The link below was meant as humor, but has plenty of truth about Aus. Might help on the experience sharing.

www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=14993