New Citizenship Rules

TeeTMI

1 hour ago, Pell said:

@RedPanda , that citizenship wizards doesn't seem to work for me.... Do you perhaps have a link, maybe I'm not accessing the correct one? Thanks!

I know that they took it down from the website after the changes were announced in April, but I didn't know they'd put it back up.

The one I used was this https://www.border.gov.au/Citizenship/Pages/CitizenshipWizard.aspx 

I'm not sure what the date of their 'latest update' is for that. But I think the info actually got better since I looked at it originally, a year ago. Not sure.

• 2 months later...

HOT-OFF-THE-PRESS UPDATE

"Migrants rejoice as citizenship bill is struck down": http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2017/10/18/migrants-rejoice-citizenship-bill-struck-down

• Like 1

Fantastic news.  Applications now lodged since 20 April will be processed against the current legislation - as they always should of been until the legislation was passed.

Regards

• Like 2

Hi there...we were just about to apply on that day the rules changed in April. Is this new ruling open to those who want to apply now or only those who applied prior to changes?...Thanks

10 hours ago, KallieGriz said:

Hi there...we were just about to apply on that day the rules changed in April. Is this new ruling open to those who want to apply now or only those who applied prior to changes?...Thanks

This is not a new ruling. It means that what had been announced in April, has failed to be passed / endorsed.

Here's some details of this that I received in a newsletter from the agents that we used, Hitchcock and Associates, that may answer your question:

We are delighted to advise our clients that the Government’s proposed changes to the Citizenship Act has failed to pass the Senate yesterday. Last night Immigration Minister Peter Dutton announced that applications lodged after the changes were announced will now be processed and we encourage all clients who were eligible prior to the changes announced in April this year, to lodge their Citizenship applications without delay. Essentially if you have been a resident of Australia for four out of the five years prior to making your application, you currently hold a permanent residence visa and have been a permanent resident for one year, you can apply. The proposed changes wanted to disallow time spent on temporary visas such as 457 or 188 visas and also wanted to introduce very stringent English testing. That has all fallen away thanks to the Senate not allowing the changes to the Act to pass. If you would like to discuss your eligibility or need assistance with your application, please contact us.

Edited by greggle

Following the Citizenship Bills failure to be approved the government have announced that :

• - they intend to make some further changes to the Citizenship Bill and will then aim for this to come into force in July 2018
  • - that the Dept of Citizenship is to again start processing applications under the current legislation, very basically:
    • - have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
    • - must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.
  • - there is currently a large backlog of applications within the system (Department is currently stating timeline wise that 70% within 10 months and 90% of citizenship applications are processed within 14 months)
  • - if you apply before 1 July 2018 (subject to the passage of legislation), your application will be assessed against the current eligibility criteria.
Edited by TeeTMI
adding 70% details.

Far out - 14 months! 

Once again a reminder to not put things off... You never know when they pull the plug on something.

• Like 1

@Eyebrow some good news for you :D (they make noise, then don't do everything they say) Hope you get your PR soon!

This is what the government are currently stating that they will be aiming for as of 1st July 2018 (assuming the legislation passes).  

Australian citizenship

On 20 April 2017, the Australian Government announced it is strengthening the integrity of Australian citizenship. The Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment (Strengthening the Requirements for Australian Citizenship and Other Measures) Bill 2017 (the Bill) was introduced into Parliament on 15 June 2017. On 18 October 2017, the Government proposed amendments to the Bill.

What are the new requirements?

As a result of the proposed amendments and subject to the passage of legislation, the new requirements for citizenship will come into effect on 1 July 2018 and include:

• increasing the general residence requirement, which means applicants for Australian citizenship will need to have a minimum of four years permanent residence immediately prior to their application for citizenship with no more than one year spent outside Australia during that period
  • completing a separate English language test, where applicants will need to demonstrate English language listening, speaking, reading and writing skills at the modest level before applying for citizenship by conferral
  • strengthening the Australian values statement to include reference to allegiance to Australia and requiring applicants to undertake to integrate into and contribute to the Australian community
  • strengthening the test for Australian citizenship through the addition of new test questions about Australian values and the privileges and responsibilities of Australian citizenship
  • a requirement for applicants to demonstrate their integration into the Australian community
  • strengthening the pledge to refer to allegiance to Australia, and extending the requirement to make the pledge to applicants aged 16 years and over for all streams of citizenship by application, including citizenship by descent, adoption and resumption.

Hi RedPanda

thanks for thinking of me! :D

Unfortunately even if we got PR today, we will still not make the 1st of July 2018 cut off for the citizenship application. ..:(

Ahw..yes that's true. At least PR is inching closer?

On 29/10/2017 at 8:42 AM, RedPanda said:

Ahw..yes that's true. At least PR is inching closer?

Time to application is inching closer. -_-

• Like 1