New Citizenship Rules

TeeTMI

Prime Minister Announces new Citizenship requirements including:
- Requiring all applicants to pass a stand-alone English test, involving reading, writing, listening and speaking);
- Requiring applicants to have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least four years (instead of one year at present);
- Strengthening the citizenship test itself with new and more meaningful questions that assess an applicant's understanding of - and commitment to - our shared values and responsibilities;
- Requiring applicants to show the steps they have taken to integrate into and contribute to the Australian community. Examples would include evidence of employment, membership of community organisations and school enrolment for all eligible children.
- Limiting the number of times an applicant can fail the citizenship test to three (at present there is no limit to the number of times an applicant can fail the test);
- Introducing an automatic fail for applicants who cheat during the citizenship test.

http://www.minister.border.gov.au/peterdutton/Pages/Strenghening-the-integrity-of-Australian-citizenship.aspx

• Like 3

Hi @TeeTMI,

I am confused.....we are here on 190 VISA'S. Would we have to write the English tests again before applying for citizenship?

Thanks

G

You mean to tell me that we could have applied for citizenship 3 years ago and no one told us. Either that or no one told Malcolm Turnbill the real facts before he made his speech.

And about the English test, do we seriously have to re-write an IELTS to be citizens and who is going to pay for that? 

Oh and to end the rant (apologies in advance from someone who has worked their ass for the last 4 years, contributed to society, enrolled my daughter in school, not lived off the doll, paid my taxes, works at an oppshop and has generally accepted and participated in the spirit of mateship) what the hell happens to our current citizenship application that was submitted almost 2 weeks ago now? 

Malcolm, are you going to reject it and make us apply all over again and take our application fee to fund the other insane policy changes you're making in the shadow of the Trupinator?

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju

@GeiteYou're not the only confused one, I think Turnbill is confused about how long we need to live in Aus as permanent residents before we can apply for citizenship.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju

@TeeTMI, thanks for the info, the rant was not aimed at you. Just frustrated that now we've reached the goal posts, Turnbill has decided to move them.

• Like 3

I understand how frustrating it is - we were caught up in one of the major changes when we were migrating (and sat waiting for 6 months wondering if we would still be eligible for a visa -  before the changes were  implemented and luckily we were able to jump a few extra hoops - no everyone could).

The announcement was only made this morning.  My understanding is that some aspects will be immediate - others will be consulted on and implemented later.  With the 457, Skilled Occupation Lists changes and the impact on Employer Nominated changes I have not looked at the Citizenship changes in any detail yet.

Edited by TeeTMI
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, HadEnoughofJuju said:

You mean to tell me that we could have applied for citizenship 3 years ago and no one told us. Either that or no one told Malcolm Turnbill the real facts before he made his speech.

And about the English test, do we seriously have to re-write an IELTS to be citizens and who is going to pay for that? 

Oh and to end the rant (apologies in advance from someone who has worked their ass for the last 4 years, contributed to society, enrolled my daughter in school, not lived off the doll, paid my taxes, works at an oppshop and has generally accepted and participated in the spirit of mateship) what the hell happens to our current citizenship application that was submitted almost 2 weeks ago now? 

Malcolm, are you going to reject it and make us apply all over again and take our application fee to fund the other insane policy changes you're making in the shadow of the Trupinator?

I think that you had to be in country for 4 years before citizenship, of which at least one year had to be on PR.

So if you had 3 years of 457 then PR, one only needed one year of PR before citizenship.

But if we were to get PR now, we would have to have it for 4y before citizenship. The 457 time would not count anymore... :cry:

• Like 2

So as all of you know by now, the 457 visa is getting a major shake up in Australia with heaps of jobs previously on the lists now being removed. These changes to the 457 will only affect new applicants, not people already in Australia apparently. But there's more than just one visa changing.

While reading through everything I saw that they are also changing the way we will now be allowed to apply for Australian Citizenship. E.g. you will need to show IELTS levels of at least 6 or higher and you will have to be a permanent resident for 4 years or more before you can apply. Additional tests such as proving you have integrated into the community will also be set somehow. You can read more here: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/malcolm-turnbull-is-planning-more-changes-australias-citizenship-rules-2017-4

These changes spark a list of questions such as: How on earth did you get to Australia without having an IELTS score of 6 or higher? And if the citizen test requires IELTS of 6 and higher, would I have to go write again at my time of application? And how could you apply for citizenship in less than four years? How will you prove you have integrated?

All I know after reading all this is firstly, if there is a way to apply for citizenship earlier than four years I would most certainly like to apply as soon as possible! Secondly, I am definitely looking at ways of how to buy stock in the IELTS company.

13 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

I think that you had to be in country for 4 years before citizenship, of which at least one year had to be on PR.

So if you had 3 years of 457 then PR, one only needed one year of PR before citizenship.

But if we were to get PR now, we would have to have it for 4y before citizenship. The 457 time would not count anymore... :cry:

At least PR means they can't kick you out. So it might be longer to wait for the Kangaroo Passport, but you will no longer worry that you might need to move back to RSA. (silver lining...silver lining...)

• Like 8

Family members of main visa holder could come in without functional English in the past, the visa just cost more. So not everyone did an IELTS

As an IELTS is only valid for a certain period, it seems to suggest that one would have to it again!

You couldnt  apply for citizenship before 4 years, But not ALL 4 years had to be on a PR visa, only one. So one could do 3 years on the old 457 and only one on PR and still have your 4 years. Now someone may be on temp visa for 2 or 4 years and then after that have to do another 4 years on PR BEFORE allowed citizenship...

• Like 2

"Mr Dutton outlined the four key aspects of the overhaul:

• The current residency requirement to be eligible for citizenship will increase from 12 months to four years;

• Applicants will be required to pass an English language test equivalent to IELTS level 6 equivalent, or a “competent” English language proficiency level."

Does this mean when those who have already been here in Aus come up for their citizenship have to do IELTS again or does it apply only to those on working visas?

I did not know the current citizenship eligibility period was 12 months?

Click here for the full article.

We came here on PR. We both got through our IELTS.

So does this mean we have to do IELTS all over again when our citizenship comes up?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zamunda said:

We came here on PR. We both got through our IELTS.

So does this mean we have to do IELTS all over again when our citizenship comes up?

Yea, this is the question I've been wondering as well. But it's going to be some time till we can apply for citizenship anyway, so I figured: Nothing we can do to change it, just wait for your time, and ask then. It will be sorted by then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CyberJoe said:

So as all of you know by now, the 457 visa is getting a major shake up in Australia with heaps of jobs previously on the lists now being removed. These changes to the 457 will only affect new applicants, not people already in Australia apparently. But there's more than just one visa changing.

While reading through everything I saw that they are also changing the way we will now be allowed to apply for Australian Citizenship. E.g. you will need to show IELTS levels of at least 6 or higher and you will have to be a permanent resident for 4 years or more before you can apply. Additional tests such as proving you have integrated into the community will also be set somehow. You can read more here: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/malcolm-turnbull-is-planning-more-changes-australias-citizenship-rules-2017-4

These changes spark a list of questions such as: How on earth did you get to Australia without having an IELTS score of 6 or higher? And if the citizen test requires IELTS of 6 and higher, would I have to go write again at my time of application? And how could you apply for citizenship in less than four years? How will you prove you have integrated?

All I know after reading all this is firstly, if there is a way to apply for citizenship earlier than four years I would most certainly like to apply as soon as possible! Secondly, I am definitely looking at ways of how to buy stock in the IELTS company.

Hi @CyberJoe, I just merged your thread with this one, since it's about the same topic. I think @TeeTMI has answered some of your questions already, so just read it through from the top ;) 

• Like 2

So I'm guessing that if we've already applied for citizenship, done the test and interview, and have already received the approval letter, but not yet attended ceremony (according to DIBP a few weeks ago we have a tentative date for 30/5) that we're not affected by the new changes...?

• Like 4

There is a document on the border.gov site, but it's very confusing. 

It says the changes will be implemented by the end of the year, but it also says changes will affect any applications received on or after today. 

I was was about to (like in 2 weeks) send in my paper application, but now I might have to wait until next August to meet the 4 year PR requirement. And I might have to re-do IELTS? For the 4th time.... as they keep expiring for each stage. ?

Do I wait over a year? Do I risk sending my application & not meeting requirements??

3 hours ago, C&GJBay said:

Do I wait over a year? Do I risk sending my application & not meeting requirements??

Ahw man...that's a tough one.

I always thought they phase these things in? Like make an announcement today that there will be changes coming into effect on "whatever" date. I've heard they can change things fast like this, but I've never actually seen it happen.

Good luck!

I would suggest reading the post relating to this on the "Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection" Facebook page & also see the comments ... they respond to a lot of similar questions (note I didn't say 'answer similar questions').

They do state that this is just a proposal and you can give feedback to Malcolm on his idea ... or preferably to them. 

• Like 1

I WISH citizenship was my major worry ?.  I know redoing IELTS and having to wait additional years is a pain in the butt, but at least you're IN.  With these visa shakeups, and vetasses putting a hold on assessments, my whole immigration journey is thrown into turmoil ?

I'm trying so hard to remain positive, but it seems like it's not a good time to be trying to gain access to Aus.  

Hi @JulesR

I hear you. My closest friends have just had their entire lives turned upside down. They were waiting any day now for their 457 visa to be granted. They had sold their house, cars, furniture, etc, both resigned from EXCELLENT top management jobs. They have just confirmed that their dreams of moving to Aus with the prospect of future PR are OVER!!! :(

My heart is truly bleeding for them and everyone else going through similar stresses. I know how much we invested emotionally in the posibility of living in AUS. 

Be strong everyone! 

• Like 1

I'm just relieved I went straight for PR instead of 457 -> 189/190, citizenship can wait, its on my list of concerns at the moment. As @Redpanda said - silver lining!

11 hours ago, JJDLmoving said:

Hi @JulesR

I hear you. My closest friends have just had their entire lives turned upside down. They were waiting any day now for their 457 visa to be granted. They had sold their house, cars, furniture, etc, both resigned from EXCELLENT top management jobs. They have just confirmed that their dreams of moving to Aus with the prospect of future PR are OVER!!! :(

My heart is truly bleeding for them and everyone else going through similar stresses. I know how much we invested emotionally in the posibility of living in AUS. 

Be strong everyone! 

It is not all doom and gloom. The new rules (from what I understand) does not say "NO PR on 457". Just more hurdles to cross as compared to the former rules.  It's best to get hold of their agent and get advice on the new rules.

• Like 1

@zamunda maybe their occupation is not on the lists anymore.

12 hours ago, JJDLmoving said:

They were waiting any day now for their 457 visa to be granted. They had sold their house, cars, furniture, etc, both resigned from EXCELLENT top management jobs.

I know I'm stating the obvious and it doesn't help your friends, but for people still making their way to Oz, DO NOT sell everything and resign until you have the visa in your hands.  

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, RYLC said:

@zamunda maybe their occupation is not on the lists anymore.

If they had already applied for their 457, then they should not be affected by the new rules. The new rules only apply to new applications. That's my understanding. 

15 minutes ago, RYLC said:

I know I'm stating the obvious and it doesn't help your friends, but for people still making their way to Oz, DO NOT sell everything and resign until you have the visa in your hands.  

That's very true. We did not to do anything until our visas came through. Can't count chickens before they are hatched.

• Like 2