"See you in the Under Down" - our journey of arrival after drifting

Toitjie

If it comes to it look nationally, they cant keep us in Canberra, soon as I can I'm heading coastal, speak soon .......

• Like 2

If it comes to it look nationally, they cant keep us in Canberra, soon as I can I'm heading coastal, speak soon .......

Agree with Mike here Toitjie, it's not in anyone's interests (yours or the country's) for you to be living under difficult conditions without a job. If you need to move earlier than your 2 years because you have a job opportunity in another state, just notify DIBP of the situation and make the move. Sending positive thoughts your way!

• Like 2

Holding thumbs for you, hopefully we are there soon. Would be happy to give any support we can, we will surely need yours!!!

T

• Like 1

I know how you feel. The job hunt certainly takes it's toll on ones mind. I am in the same boat. Apply for many jobs and not even a call back. Thinking of you. Seems as if Melbourne is not much different than Canberra when it comes to landing the elusive first job.

• Like 1

Thank you kindly for all the replies, it does mean a lot to me. I was so grateful for the support I received.Yesterday I received a beautiful bunch of flowers that a wonderful forumite sent me, and right after that another wonderful forumite phoned me and gave me the pep talk I needed. I realise that I should not hide out in my house all day :) and should get out there, as there are so many wonderful people, who cares. From the bottom of my heart am I thankful for these ladies who supported me, even though they have not known me for very long. :hug:

I honestly dont know what I would have done without the support system offered in and through this forum.

• Like 4

I think the market is tough all over.....reading the forum it seems people are finding it tough from one side of Australia to the other. I can tell you Perth doesn't seem to have much going for it at the moment either from a newcomer's perspective!

I'm sure we'll all get there though.....time and perseverance is all!

• Like 1

Sending huge huge hugs!!! Hoping that you find the perfect job soon.

• Like 1

2 March

Today we had our first social with ozzies. Hubby invited the guys who works with him from Big-W, since one of them is going to Ireland, like a farewell or something.

So I decided to make a mutton potjie because the guy leaving is originally from South Africa although he doesnt sound like it. He lived in Ireland for 10 years before coming here. They were all about 10 years younger than me, about half hubby's age, so it was going to be interesting.

First mistake was having men arrange something like this. Hubby invited them and informed me that it was around 12pm. So I planned the potjie to perfection. I put it up around 10am so that it would be ready by 2pm or thereabouts. I also inquired as to the number of people that would be coming. Anyone making food regularly would know this is critical. How much food should I prepare? Did he invite 3 or 6 and would the 3 or 6 bring their girlfriends/wives? Big difference. No he says, he thinks there is about 4 that would be coming.... And girlfriends I ask? I dont know he says..... So I am preparing for a large number, just in case...

At 12:30 I asked him what EXACTLY did he say to them? He said well...twelve.....ish. *sigh* So eventually they came around 2pm by which time it was mutton stew and sticky rice :)

Two forgot to bring beer but we got them sorted out. And they weren't really hungry they said...eat a little later? Now Im thinking, it's ok, but you're getting mutton soup!

Anwyays...we had a lovely afternoon. They were perfect gentlemen (most of the time anyway), we made lots of jokes and we laughed until our tummy's hurt. I could listen to them telling stories about the work and colleagues all day..it was really fun

And when finally I dished up, they didn't stop eating until the nr 3 potjie was empty. And remember, I made a lot of potjiekos...I started with 2kg mutton and a lot of veggies and stuff. It was pretty good I have to say, they each had 3 servings!

I will admit, though Im young at heart and still listen to rock and rave music, I felt a little old. They have been partying since Friday, every night, for his farewell :) not really my scene anymore...by 5pm I would rather have been napping :)

But they are good kids, I really liked them...I think all in all our first ozzie "tea" was a great success.

• Like 3

Glad to hear the potjie was a success!!!

I think as far as "guy" planning goes you were given more than enough info to work with :)

• Like 1

:P @ Brad.... you guys are something else. I realise you would be happy with a pack of pretzels and a beer, but you would miss us girls and our planning! Don't deny it :)

Sounds like a successful get together!! Yum...you made me crave potjie kos now!!!

5 March

On Monday hubby had an incident at work. A colleague insisted they carry a heavy box of stuff down some stairs and he sprained his hand badly. Next day, he was not allowed to work, his supervisor took him all the way up north (where we stay) to our own medical practice of doctors, and also paid for the visit, the brace he now has to wear etc.

I'm really impressed with the injury on duty procedure and how they take it so seriously. Now he is not allowed to lift anything heavier than 2 kg and has to be back at the doctor next week. They are not messing around.

On the job front for me there has been a flurry of activity. I don't want to get my hopes up like I did with my first interview. I was so ecstatic that first time that I literally spent my first paycheck after the interview :)

So I have been for an interview at a great company, and I have been asked for a follow up interview next week. I have also met with 2 recruitment agencies that I was introduced to by a friend who knows them and the one has forwarded me a job that I might be interested in as well as a temporary recruitment consultant job in their agency, for which Im also being interviewed next week.

So it seems things are moving. I feel a lot better, having been to a couple of interviews, firstly it set my mind at ease that I can still converse with professionals (being with children for so long had me believe that I cannot speak adult anymore :) ) and secondly it gave my self confidence a much needed boost because it seems they are all impressed with my CV. All are unanimous though that Ozzie experience is so crucial.

The one agent was honest with me and said if it wasn't for my volunteering at an Australian place and the reference given I would not stand a chance of gaining employment through them. So I'm grateful for the opportunity, and would urge anyone coming to arrange for volunteering in your line of work if you are not landing with a job already.

Interviews here are so much different from what I was used to. Its much more informal, but also more personal. In SA it was very structured and formal since we were in such a unionized environment. One step wrong and there would be a grievance from the union. Here they don't have a pre-prepared set of questions and answers. They talk to you about your CV and experience and achievements. It feels like friends talking more than a real interview, which is good for the nerves :) Most times I met with one person, not a panel of 7!

Edited by Toitjie
  • Like 1

Hi Toitjie, I'd like to add my name to the list of people loving your thread and journey. Welcome to Australia !!! Hope hubby's hand is ok...good luck on the job front.

• Like 1

Fish! Where have you been? Thank you for the kind comment above and welcome back. Did you take a sabbatical like OBD did? :)

• Like 1

When I went for the interview, I didn't know I went for one... If that makes sense.

I sent an expression of interest, and they asked me to come and see first if I would like the environment, before I officially apply.

So I went for a day and shadowed the person who was offering the job (remembering that I came all the way from south Africa for that day!). And at the end of the day he said I would fit right in, and the job is mine, after which I replied that I hadn't even applied yet. And he said he knew that, but that the job is mine anyway.

Weirdest interview/ non-interview ever.

I rang my OH that afterwards and said I got the job that I didn't apply for!

Was very friendly!

None of this - where do you see yourself in 5 years, and what would you do in a conflict situation with a co worker etc - that we are used to...

Fish! Where have you been? Thank you for the kind comment above and welcome back. Did you take a sabbatical like OBD did? :)

No, it's just the internet ran out of new pictures of Brisbane so I had to take a break and let it catch up ;)

Glad someone noticed I was back...and I always thought this forum had the nicest people....ag shame <- did I use it right...I didn't did I ? :(

No, it's just the internet ran out of new pictures of Brisbane so I had to take a break and let it catch up ;)

Glad someone noticed I was back...and I always thought this forum had the nicest people....ag shame <- did I use it right...I didn't did I ? :(

I did notice...there are a couple of "oldies" (no pun intended of course) that are less and less on the forum. I miss all of them. I always enjoy your nice pics. Cant wait to see what you have in store for us! :)

• Like 1

I also wondered where you went, Fish. You've got plenty of catching up to do :D

• Like 1

Toitjie, that all sounds very positive. As so many have said...the wheels of employment seem to turn very slowly here. Holding thumbs that you find the right job for you :) So glad you did the volunteering! Def sounds like it has made a difference for you job wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Toitjie, nice to meet you and the hubcap and the sprogs .....

Sorry I chatted so non-stop. Also sorry your 3rd-world money wasn't any good ;)

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

• Like 1

Hi Toitjie, nice to meet you and the hubcap and the sprogs .....

Sorry I chatted so non-stop. Also sorry your 3rd-world money wasn't any good ;)

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

It's me that has to say thank you. We enjoyed it immensely and will def to so again in future. Remember the deal - my treat when I find that elusive job!

Thanx for inviting us, I always appreciate invites especially when it's such good company!

• Like 1

It's me that has to say thank you. We enjoyed it immensely and will def to so again in future. Remember the deal - my treat when I find that elusive job!

Thanx for inviting us, I always appreciate invites especially when it's such good company!

Well, I AM marvellous, aren't I? :o

It's a deal.

Hope something pops up on the work front, and as I said at lunch, I admire Renier for just going out and getting a job, even if there are no hot and cold running footmen, and the secretary hasn't been in for months. He's done the right thing.

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 1

20 March

There isn't much happening in my life right now. It's a little frustrating..I'm used to no brakes, I just missioned and worked and now I'm idle most of the day. I do enjoy however, the opportunity this is giving me to work a little more in the garden, to read books, to experiment more with cooking and to generally be there when the kids get home (which isn't always such a joy - especially since they are 18 months apart and fight like tigers)

I had my sights on an awesome job and was invited for a second interview, but after I inquired, the MD phoned me and said I didn't get it but to a lady that has 25 years experience in Canberra government. Who can beat that right?

So since Tuesday I have been trawling all the websites again, and applying like crazy. I'm doing all I can, I tailor my CV, I volunteer and I try hard. but somewhere along the line I have to set a goal. If I don't get a job by ??? then I will have to start looking elsewhere. But when the "when" is I don't know. I really and honestly don't want to move, I love the house, I love the city and the kids love their school. What more can I ask for. But at some stage our money will run out and I have to take action before that happens. This is a gamble that our lives depend on and I never saw it quite in this way. I always thought we will wing it...no worries.

Life in Canberra is good. We attended the balloon spectacular, which was awesome. We got there really early and could stand and watch as they inflated the balloons. One of them is called the Skywhale or something like that...supposedly representing Canberra but I swear it is the ugliest darn thing I have ever seen. It looks a little indecent :)

Then there was Sky-Fire that we attended - they had a fighter jet doing a couple of fly-by's which was terrific. It was amazing to see on the other side of the city all of a sudden a huge swarm of bats went up into the air because of the noise and the air vibrations I guess. Then there was an awesome fireworks show that lasted about 20 minutes, really nice.

• Like 1

Hang in there Toitjie!

• Like 1