"See you in the Under Down" - our journey of arrival after drifting

Toitjie

Toitjie!!!

Your journal is such a good read. Feels like I am watching a series and when i reach the end I am left wanting for more!! Lapping up every word you write. So nice, this is inspiring me to start blogging to somehow preserve the memories, cause 2 years down the line, looking back at all the struggles, it would be nice to fall back on it. We are still in the application phase, so it will be short for now.

Anyway, Go get 'em tiger, you will do great. All the best and holding thumbs for you to get the job.

PS: We are leaving our Scottie and Black Cocker Spaniel behind in SA with family, we haven't even reached any application stage and I am already welling up with tears thinking about it. There just isn't any money to bring both of them over, so we rather keeping them together at my parent's..

Edited by Bigvan07
  • Like 1

Good luck! !! Will be thinking of you! Holding thumbs

• Like 1

21 January

The interview went extremely well.I wish I could say the same of my morning... :)

I thought I had clothes and fitted a few yesterday but decided to check some more this morning. But the more pants i put on, the less I liked them and they were not fitting properly. Months of planning the move, holiday and staying at home with the kids have somehow shrinked all my clothes ;)

sooo...off to Westfield just after 8am, and fortunately I found nice black pants and a jacket at Target instead of Meyers :) saved a few dollars there and I did the whole dressing thing, bit of make-up etc. for those who know me, Im a jeans girl, preferably knee-high jeans with flip-flops and a T-shirt. Why cant we work in those?

And i studied real hard, all about the company, the regulations that regulate nurses, shifts, allowances etc.

In the end, the interview was with only one person, extremely nice girl. We discussed my career so far, what i have done and achieved, where Im from, and she explained what the office would be about. It was like an informal chat. So so nice!

One friend of mine said to me that if a recruiter interviews you but say "We still have other people to interview, but will be in touch" it usually means they would prefer to look further and not appoint you immediately. She said that to me though, so I am curious to see if that premise is true or not. I did get the impression that they really do have other interviews lined up, but i will know on Friday.

I am really excited, this job is perfect for me. I would be running an office on my own, which I like. I would do everything, including seeing hospitals and other facilities for new business. I was made for this! I dont want to get my hopes up though.....i will still apply for others but I am so grateful for this opportunity.

I have seen how good an interview can be. From my days in local government doing interviews, there is such a big difference! Those interviews were extremely intimidating, with the line manager, his sidekick, me and the 2 trade unions. I could see when a candidate walked in and saw the big panel, they started stressing even more. Not good.

• Like 4

So excited for you Toitjie! By the sounds of it they would be lucky to have you!

LOL on the 'shrinking' trousers story - this happens to me a lot as well. :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

"We still have other people to interview, but will be in touch"

This is a line that all recruiters will spin you whether there are other people lined up for interviews or not. Australians in general don't like to offend or ruffle feathers at all, they try to keep everyone happy all of the time. Which I love by the way, it makes for a far less aggressive society. We'll be holding thumbs that all goes as it should.

• Like 1

Yay Toitjie!!! WELL DONE!!!

Will be thinking of you - keep us posted! :)

Hi Toitjie,

Glad your interview went well!

It has really been helpful following your move to Auz and seeing how well you have settled.

• Like 1

Hi Toitjie

Well done and good luck! I will definately be thinking of you and holding thumbs! Please keep us posted :)

Hi Toitjie,

Glad it went well, holding thumbs for you!!!

trev

Hang in there Toitjie ...

@Bigvan07.

It is now a lot cheaper to take pets over as they have dropped the need to have your pet quarantine for so long. You do not have to do the 6 month here anymore

and it is only 10 days on Aus side.

There are obviously admin to do and still need to do various shots of all kind and the time line is important. As to do what shots when.

From what I understand, from other posting, where it used to cost 50K (I think this is for two dogs) you can now do it for between 15-20K (ZAF)

Hope this makes a difference to many people to take their beloved pet to Aus ....so my dogs are also going to have to do "Vetassess" ( getting there asses over to VET be assessed ) . :whome:

Edited by Marmotte
  • Like 2

1 February

The rollercoaster is picking up speed.....things are a little hectic at the moment. Our container arrived on Wednesday. I have to say i was very impressed with the 2 guys who offloaded. They carried everything, even the bulkiest of furniture, all by themselves. The told me when they pack up a house, its also only them two and it takes them only a day to pack up a house. Efficiency.

Initially i enjoyed the unpacking but now I am just sick and tired of boxes. It just never ends. I had a single door linen cupboard in SA and here is a large one (which Im ever grateful for) but its full and overflowing! I dont know where the hell everything came from! At least Im finished with the kitchen so I can move around there again, the rest I will do in small increments...it will be a while before this house looks remotely liveable again. And of course the more I unpack and try to orden the more the kids discover things and unpack and play :)

Im worried about my daughter. Earlier in the month she fainted which was just horrible. She fell off a chair on her face on the floor, and by the time I got to her she was lying there, eyes open. I also fainted when I was that age, a couple of times, and this was early morning before she had anything to eat so I put it down to low blood pressure and low blood sugar, like I had. But since then I have noticed she is so pale, most of the time and this week she had a rash on her arm tummy and back.

I took her to the doctor who basically said she thinks its a type of skin rash that no-one knows what causes it, no-one knows really much about it, it's not contagious and we cannot do anything about it, it will clear up by itself. So Im wondering if it isn't stress. School starts next week and although they are looking forward to it, I know what it coming and my heart breaks to know that they are going to have a battle, especially her. Her brother can make friends with green aliens if given the chance but she is so shy and the language issue is getting her down. She can understand and read and write English but she still feels nervous about it.

Regarding the doctor - I understand why people prefer a SA doctor. Its not that it's bad, it's just different to what we were used to, and it will take some time I guess to get used to. The doctor was a very sweet lady, I could not have asked for a nicer person, but the consultation was her looking at the rash and then going through her books. She said the one book is very old because it contradicted the other book. I did not find comfort in that at all. I'm just hoping the book diagnosed her correctly ;)

As to the job interviews, I didn't get it but at least they phoned me and let me know. She also said she liked my CV and would keep it on file. Yesterday I went to a recruitment agency that was referred to me by a friend, which was nice. They took the time to do an interview with me and is checking out my references so that they have a better understanding of where to place me, and they will try to find me a job. They are very professional and I'm hopeful.

Today it's off to K-Mart or the like to buy school supplies. I have ordered it online from a company about 1.5 weeks ago and yesterday when I phoned they said the will deliver it 14 Feb - I pointed out that school starts on Monday so I cant send them to school for 2 weeks without stationery. so I cancelled the order and will have to go and search for these strange items myself :)

4 February

Today was the kids' first school day. They look adorable in their new clothes, and with heavy bags full of stationary we set off for school this morning. They were so ready, and talked about school and how they are looking forward to it, but this morning was a different story. The reality kicked in, especially when we went to assembly. I thought the parents would have to leave after depositing them in the assembly hall so we said goodbye and Kayla was ushered to a group where she had to sit and I could see her eyes getting brighter and she looked so lost and my heart just broke. But we saw other parents standing nearby and told her we would be there, which eased her a little.

By the time assembly was over, she had started chatting to the girl next to her and seemed a little better. Aiden of course was in his own little world, watching everything around him, the people, the walls, the roof.......he didn't notice that his class left so we quickly took him to his class :)

I know everyone says they adapt, even Afrikaans kids, and although that does give some comfort, there will still be the in-between period where they are going to struggle a lot, and Im a little caught up in that. I feel for them, I know that although they understand English, they wont be able to understand all the new words and terminology and I can just imagine how frightening today is going to be for them.

And to top it all off, after weeks of heatwaves, today is rather chilly in Canberra, and the clothing shop where I bought their schoolwear still did not get the jumpers in so they dont have anything warm yet. At least they have winter jackets so that will have to do for now.

I feel a little sad today...I know I said that I was ready for them to go to school because we have been in each others' hair for over 2 months...but seeing them off in a new school, emphasizes the fact that time is marching on.....they are getting older, Im getting older. I miss them already!

ok enough...I have boxes to unpack, I will stop with the being sorry for myself ;)

• Like 1

Just have to share this:

Hubby works at Big-W and as he walked past a manager's office, there sat two skinny thieves. they were caught stealing some Blu-ray DVD's. They were taken to the manager's office and the police was called.

As hubby walked past, the following arrived: TWO plain-clothes detectives and SIX burly uniforms to apprehend the two quite skinny thieves :)

You gotta love this country!

• Like 2

School update

I am one relieved mama. I collected the kids at 2:45 and they were all smiles. They enjoyed their first day, Aiden even had a quick maths test, which he felt went ok :)

Kayla made a friend and it seems they communicated quite well. She has also been informed by her friend which girls to avoid, as the one in particular is a bully. So the school politics starts :)

But all in all, they did very well and Im so proud of them!

Edited to add:

Im really impressed with the school. Apart from recess and a lunch break they also have a fruit break and the kids have to take fruit to school, which is good. And they will be going with the International Baccalaureate from this year.

Edited by Toitjie
  • Like 3

Sounds like an awesome school Toitjie!!!

I'm glad they had such a great first day, I know you were more worried about Kayla but it sounds like she's holding her own :)

Can't they wear other jerseys until the uniform stockist gets more stock? or is there not a second hand shop you could buy from just in the interim?

I know what you mean re time passing and them growing up. I often feel that way these days!

School update

I am one relieved mama. I collected the kids at 2:45 and they were all smiles. They enjoyed their first day...

It always amazes me how quickly children adapt. We as parents are often still teary and heart sore for our kids and they have long forgotten and happy.

Sounds like an awesome school Toitjie!!!

I'm glad they had such a great first day, I know you were more worried about Kayla but it sounds like she's holding her own :)

Can't they wear other jerseys until the uniform stockist gets more stock? or is there not a second hand shop you could buy from just in the interim?

I know what you mean re time passing and them growing up. I often feel that way these days!

Lots of schools have a uniform shop or second hand shop where (if you're quick or lucky) you can get uniforms second hand. And since you use other people's second hand towels ;) it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by OubaasDik

ha ha OBD - yes I wouldnt mind but the problem is that Gold Creek changed their uniforms dramatically. Its being phased out and all new students have to wear the new uniforms.

good on you btw - reading all my other posts, especially about me being a sworn op-shopper :)

ha ha OBD - yes I wouldnt mind but the problem is that Gold Creek changed their uniforms dramatically. Its being phased out and all new students have to wear the new uniforms.

good on you btw - reading all my other posts, especially about me being a sworn op-shopper :)

Bummer .....

Yeah, well had to read them, how else can I embarass you later?

My wife's fave frying pan happens to be the one I bought from Salvos when I got to Perth, which had all the teflon scraped off. Just the right size for a 1kg coil of boeries. ;)

I'm so happy the first day went well, what a huge relief for you Toitjie. I still remember my kids with their huge hats and terrified white faces, shame! I think mom and dad were almost more scared.

We buy and sell secondhand uniforms and books on the sustainable school shop, everything is online now. Maybe your school too? Take a look

http://www.sustainableschoolshop.com.au

• Like 1

Ah Toitjie...your posts are so heartwarming. I wish I had gotten to meet you...perhaps one day :)

I have had the kids in my hair since 13 December and we are all irritable and impatient with each other. I have to admit that I am looking forward to some kind of routine being restored into our household. Just a few minutes ago my little Amy woke up...she is still doing the midnight jet lag run...and I am up doing a load of laundry in my machine. She wanted to talk for 5 minutes. I can tell she has some anxiety about school on Monday, and keeps asking if someone will show her where the toilet is at school...my heart seriously...we have tried to be very encouraging and talk about all the wonderful things happening there...so I hope it lives up to our stories about it. I am hoping that buying the uniform tomorrow will help her feel more excited than nervous. I know I am going to miss her like crazy...the school day seems so long 9 - 3h30...shoo whee...but guess we will all adapt.

Big hugs your way :)

Thanx Bri - if the school you take her to is anything like ours, and i believe they are all the same - she will be more than ok. I was surprised when my kids told me about the fruit break. Remember to pack her some fruit as they have this break right there in class, where they can eat a fruit. this is before the actual recess break. And the teachers are wonderfull with new kids!

Have you tried melatonin for your family? It works fantastic, makes you sleep deeply and so get rid of jetlag very quickly.

I actually got reprimanded by the teacher with a note left in my child's lunch box because I forgot to give her fruit that day. :P

We both had anxiety about Jessie going to school and she was also a bit nervous but they seem to just adjust and fit in and the schools are great, especially the primary schools. I think it's a lor harder for teenagers to fit in and make friends. Hugs to both of you, it really does get easier with time.

• 3 weeks later...

25 February

Today was a pretty rotten day. My dad visited us and my brother in Melbourne for 2 weeks, and he left tonight to go back to South Africa. I don't know exactly how to put this into words, or why I'm so upset, since I know I will see him again. Its just that the weight of it all came crashing down today.

I'm always careful of feelings on this forum...too negative or too positive. But it's important to realise that there are extremely hard and difficult days too. So far I have been really happy, but today, after seeing him off, I broke down in my garden and just cried my heart out. I so terribly miss my friends, I desperately needed a shoulder to cry on, to be comfortable in someone's company that I have known for years, walking down a street that I know, reading newspaper articles that I understand.

Its as if thing were ok on the surface, but the veneer of the ok-ness was thin, and it took a visit from a family member to scratch at the surface and bring up the uncertainty, the fear, the loneliness.

what makes me feeling worse is that Im really starting to get frightened about the job market in Canberra. The Recruitment Consultant jobs being advertised are all fake, just to keep the big companies in the market, the posts don't exist. And as for other jobs, Im applying but just getting rejections or no response at all. There is a glimmer of hope, an entry level post somewhere, but I will still see, not sure yet. My brother and his girlfriend both got jobs in Melbourne on the first posts they applied for and subsequent interviews. In their line (programmer and auditor). As easy as that. While I am writing personalised cover letters way into the early hours of the morning every night..adapting my CV constantly.

There simply aren't that many jobs in Canberra...Seek is no measure to go by, who knows how many jobs are fake and how many are real. I have started applying for admin jobs and leaving out my MBA, as I was advised that I will never be shortlisted otherwise. But I hate that too...I dont want to misrepresent myself and I have worked hard for that degree.

At this stage, Im feeling pretty low. Things are absolutely great with the kids in school, they could not be happier. Which is one great relief so I dont have to worry about them. But I also and absolutely dont want to move them to another school since they have adapted so well in this small school, but if I cannot find work..I just might have to start looking elsewhere.

I am asking myself why so many visas are being granted if the job market is so slow? Or maybe it's just Canberra..it seems the bigger cities are feeling the crunch a little less.

As for the past weeks with my dad - we really took him everywhere, and I saw a few places I have not seen before. The Royal Canberra show was very nice, the kids went on rides for the first time in their lives and they loved the party packs.

We also took him to the Australian National Library, where there was a fantastic Maps of the World exhibit...very weird to see all the maps in chronological order. It seems the Dutch (my ancestors) were here before Cook :) and they named Australia "New Holland" and Tasmania was known as "Van Diemen's Land". This made me feel sort of home....there are bound to be some Dutch ancestors that settled here...who know...maybe a direct one? Seeing Dutch names that are so close to some of the South African names made it feel as if I really belong here. Its weird....just a feeling

We went to the Australian National Museum today, which was spectacular. I have to say, this is the best and most beautiful museum I have ever seen. There is some Aboriginal art that is so beautiful, i wish I could have it :)

So I will be soldering on...it's in my blood after all ;)

• Like 4