"See you in the Under Down" - our journey of arrival after drifting

Toitjie

26 November

The last 2 days were hectic! Yesterday we went to activate our NAB bank accounts, and that took almost an hour, but the cards were with the CBD branch so after she did all the paperwork, we had to drive to town to get the cards (only mine was there so back again next week for hubby's, but I love my new red NAB card!)

Then we went to Telstra for internet, but was turned down when the credit check was done. Apparently I need a job ;) so...left that...felt naked without internet and still no phone (Blackberry still not working). Then we registered with medicare which was a breeze, took about 10 minutes.

Today I got my care, I absolutely LOVE my Nissan X-trail. It has been well looked after and the personnel at Lennock were so excited, it was really nice having to deal with them. I took my phone to vodafone today to see if its maybe locked or blocked or something...and the problem was.....drum roll........ I put the damn sim card in the wrong way. How on earth do you do that? I blame it on jetlag.

Speaking of jetlag, melatonin is the way to go. I dont think I really had jetlag, we slept well every night (relatively) so far.

I also did some grocery shopping this afternoon and was very surprised at all the specials. Really got some nice ones.

I am really happy so far. I realise its early days and honeymoon and all that but for now I have no intention or feelings of going back. I really enjoy it here. The ozzies are super friendly, and really try to chat with you and help. The poor guy at Telstra did everything he could to help me, which I greatly appreciated.

My biggest worry is still work. I will start sending out my CV today. The friend I have here has advised me to start liaising with other people, there are these meetings, not sure exactly where and when and how it works, but you have to go so that people get to know you. Service meetings or something. Will update about that later.

I have so many ideas but as soon as I start writing I forget ;) I will try to orden my thoughts, Im such a scatterbrain and I forget everything everywhere!

I think we have adapted to the lifestyle immediately! I have a backpack that I watched like a hawk at the airport - in it was my apple mac, camera, 2 GPS's, phone, wallet and and assortment of other stuff. When we got to our rental, we jumped out of the car, leaving all 4 doors open right there in the driveway and went to check out the house. Only a while later went back to the car to unpack, completely unphased that we left it open and of course nothing was taken . Jay for Australia!

• Like 7

Nice to have you 'back', Toitjie !! Seems like you're going to settle quickly and well. Regarding that SIM card, welcome to the human race, hehe. Much worse could have happened ! It gives spice to the stories you'll have to tell someday when you remember these early days again ^_^

of course! I completely forgot I can change my location, will do that now.

A few things I have picked up so far:

People dont really drive the speed limit exactly. They dont race like Pretorians but if the limit is 110 they drive 120 and if its 80 they drive 90. Im usually the slowest car arround..I find this interesting

Bargaining for a discount because I bought 3 large items at The Good Guys did nothing! I got no discount.

Dogs bark at us when we walk past them :)

We got our fridge and washing machine today so Im feeling a little more settled having something cold :) hubby loves the experimenting with beer (but they are not cheap!) Someone told me that if your neighbour complains about your dog barking, you have to have their vocal cords removed. I dont know if this is true because we have heard dogs bark here and there but I will never do that to Lucy. Goodness, its cruel!

Will post some pics later, we live a block from a very nice pond, its gorgeous!

• Like 1

Ha sounds all good, yes they do drive about 10km over the speed limit here.........glad u in one piece

Hi Toitjie,

Thanks for sharing. I think I missed the part where you were able to secure a rental from South Africa. Would you mind sharing how you went about that? I got prices for short term accommodation for two weeks for two of us (leaving the kids with sister in law in Sydney) and more than $2000, that is sharing a bathroom. So it would be much cheaper if we can walk into our rental from the plane. Also are you renting the fridge and washing machine? Did they have problem with rental agreement with no job?

Hi Marilise

no worries :)

I only booked accommodation because I wasnt sure if we would get a rental, so thats a lot of money I lost. They said if they could get people in over that period (now) I can get some of it back but not all. Its a risk and a stressful one at that

What I did was get references. I managed properties for my brother and a mutual friend of ours in Centurion. Both of them now stay in Oz so they wrote lovely references about what a nice person I am :) the fact that they have ozzie contact details Im sure helped a lot

Then I asked my South African landlort for a reference. I explained why and gave her a draft of what I think is important and she put some more thoughts together. Basically that I pay on time and sometimes earlier; that we are good and nice people and that the dog was not a nuisance.

Then I put together a letter where I wrote about our family, explaining that we were home owners for more than 10 years and really understand the necessity of good tenants and that we know very well what damage bad tenants can do, and therefore we ourselves will never do any damage to a property and will look after it as if it was our own.

In this letter I pasted pics of our house, showing how we have renovated, redid the bahtrooms and laid a wooden floor ourselves. Also a cute pic of our Scotty, explaining that she is a sweet little dog and does not damage things. On top of that, we will in any case steam clean carpets just to put the owner's mind at ease in case Lucy or us did get some marks on the carpets.

Then I applied for 3 and got all 3. I believe its because I was sincere and honest in my letter. I was honest that we do not have work yet but I also supplied the last statement from my pension fund that showed that we had enough funds to carry us a little while we found jobs.

I dont know if any of the above were what they looked at, Im only guessing, but thats what I did. There are a lot of properties available in CAnberra at the moment, there isnt really a shortage so I think you will find it easy (I truly hope so)

good luck!

It has been so great reading your story.

I am so happy that things have done really well for you guys. I really hope this keeps going and that you get jobs soon!

Thanks for allowing us to share in your experience!

So glad you settling in nicely. Thinking of you so often!!

Thanks for tips for securing a rental from SA...really really useful!!! Printing it out!

Great reading about your experiences Toitjie. You have been an inspiration to many on this forum, as you shared your journey through your journals. I am sure that you guys will make a success of it and the jobs will come. Now start living and find your happiness!

Awesome posts Toitjie, hoping to join you Canberrans soon.

T

What day is it today? Oh yes... 27 November (going on 28 November)

My head is spinning with what we have done so far, what still needs to be done, what I have told to whom and what not. Its truly a giant move of epic proportions!

I think I said our washing machine and fridge were delivered yesterday? I opted for a front loader and Im so happy. the cheapest on there was but it works like a charm.

A few hours ago I wanted to put in a bundle and here jumps a spider! Can you believe it!! I have killed 3 so far and this bloody spider was on top of my washing, that I put there myself! Ugh....there are many of them and if I look at the vents for the airconditioning all I see are the possibilities of nests!

Anyway...I digress.

Today we slept until 11am which was maybe not a good thing because slowly we are going back to jetlag and switching night and day. With a lot of effort could I get the kids to bed at 10pm and myself - still awake at his witching hour!

I had an amazing experience today. My friend told me about Vinnies and Salvo's. They are second hand shops (Salvo's is short for Salvation Army)

So off we went in search of the nearest Salvo's. Approaching I felt a little silly but I soon realised that this is normal and when we were inside I was amazed at the amount of clothes and stuff! I selected 2 towels and 2 old blankets, a nice book and we got the most beautiful little hall-stand - like a corner unit, but antique. Really really nice. My daughter shuddered at the thought of using other people's towels - I had to smile. Who would have thought we would do this? I find it perfectly normal. I will just give it a good wash, they did seem rather newish so Im not worried.

I have to say - there are a few negatives too. Not too big for now, but something that keeps me awake a little :) The kids here. The youth. I have said years ago when I visited Westfield shopping centre in Belconned that the youth scared me. And I still feel the same way. They are just so very different from what we are used to. I realise that I should not judge a book by its cover, but its difficult not to form an opinion just by looking at them.

At the JB HiFi a teenager walked passed hubby, looked him squarely in the eye and gave a big burp. that is not what I envision for my kids. Most of the kids seem ok, they just dress weirdly.. (sweatpants that hangs on the knees, with a tight toppie and flip flops). Very funny. My children cannot keep their mouths closed as they watch in awe as kids with blue hair walk past them :)

I think why Im worried is about personal stories, and again, I know that personal stories does not mean it will happen to everyone. But a friend has a teenager and this girl met her boyfriend at age 17 and stayed over at his house (in his bed) with his mother's blessing. According to this mom there is nothing you can do and its quite the norm for teenagers to sleep together while the parents are there...from a young age. I think the difference is in SA it was hidden :) :) Please dont think me a prude, but now that I have a tween, Im horrified of thinking her sleeping over at a boy's house at 16 or 17. Not cool. This boy's mom told the girl that her mother was way to protective and discipline was all wrong, and they had a really bad experience.

Is it true that kids from 15 can leave their parents house and claim benefits from Centrelink by saying they are homeless? I really think that so many grants are not good and enables kids and people more to be lazy, instead of helping those that really needs help. This is just observations....I obviously dont know yet how everything works.

Now that we are sort of settled the issue of finding work is getting paramount. We are really stressed about this as our rands are leaving our accounts faster than a spider can jump. I think I will volunteer, but that obviously wont bring in any money, so thats a short term thing.

I really need to get my internet sorted (its still not sorted - Im on bloody pre-paid which costs a fortune) so that I can search the web for jobs in Recruitment.

Thank you so much for all the messages I have received. Its really so heartwarming to hear from everyone. I enjoy writing and this journal means a lot to me. I hope I can keep up.

• Like 1

Toitjie, normally you can ask the landlord to spray for spiders. (it works when you say that you had to kill a redback) Otherwise you can buy a perimeter spray at Bunnings and do it yourself. It does the trick for months. Three spiders in less than a week is excessive. We dont even get three in a year.

Dont sweat the teenagers (and the rumours). You will find when you talk to them its mostly window dressing. But yes, they are much more confident and open than their RSA counterparts ( who do the same stuff in secret).

Hi T, hang in there, it is quite a busy time.......we been here for 4 weeks and things still need doing....

I got a 12 gig sim that I got from The Telstra shop in Gunghalin which I use in my iPad when not at home, you got a year to use the 12 gigs and is perfect for basic job hunting, not huge file downs, it was 180$, you need your 100 points of ID, but if you need I can get one for you or ask a friend........the libraries have free wifi too, we pay 59 $ for uncapped ADSL at home through DODO which is a

Telstra company, sure there are better deals around too.....but they have excellent service.

M

Thanx Mike - how did you get a contract from Dodo? The issue is the credit history. Can you maybe tell me where there is an outlet for this company? Or a tel number?

The deal I can get from Telstra seems nice.

Its $120 for 200 GB that includes all sorts of cheap calls and if I pay $15 extra all calls to landlines and cellphones to South Africa are included

Edited by Toitjie

Hi I took over the contract from Cobus and Elizna, they did no credit checks only 100 points of ID is what they wanted, I also set up direct debit so they asked no questions......

I'm enjoying reading your experience of Aus. Congrats on the new wheels! Hope you get a job soon!

Toitjie, I wouldn't get too worked up about the teenagers. A lot has to do with how you bring them up. We've been here 5 years and mine haven't turned into wild children. .... yet ;)

30 November

My brother and his girlfriend is touring from Victoria to Sydney and stopped off here for the past 3 days. They left this morning, but it was such fun having them here.

We decided that it was time for a barbie yesterday. But no barbie in sight so off to some hardware store nearby, I cannot remember the name but a lot like Bunnings - very nice store indeed! But hubby is like a donkey, he has it in his mind that gas is for aliens and he wants a charcoal barbie. So I volunteered to go. Got there, asked the very friendly salesman where I could find a charcoal braai.....a little frown and I realised my mistake...uhm I mean a charcoal BBQ? Oh yeah...we have 2 of them love...

So there is the plain jane one and then there was a nice one with a hood and some nice gadgets, price wise more or less the same so I chose the nice one. Got home - boy was I in for a surprise. There were about 100 different screws and it took all of us to get it set up. We laughed until our tummy's hurt...when all was assembled, the last part, the grill was loose, my brother could not get it to fit and was thinking in the lines of getting a saw and sawing it so it fits. In the end...it just lies on top of the frame, no screws and definitely no saw necessary!

On a side note - my brother told us the story: as they are travelling, they sleep wherever they fancy, in their tent under the stars, and if there are facilities available, they make use of them like a gas BBQ in the outback. One morning there was this gas BBQ, with a hole in die middle for all the grease, and it sort of slopes downwards towards the hole.

They had 3 eggs left and decided on scrambled eggs. He got the BBQ up and running and when it was nice and hot, he broke the eggs into a bowl and poured it onto the flat top of the BBQ. The eggs then immediately run towards the hole in the middle and disappeared! I wish I could see the look on their faces but hearing them telling it was priceless!

anyway...just as soon as we got the coals in the barbie it started raining..but no fear, this model has a hood! In the end it was a wonderful braai, our very first ozzie braai. I will never forget it.

I got insurance for my car through my bank, which was expensive, but very quick. I have 14 days to cancel, which I will do on Monday because I went with AAMI after all, and the premium from NAB is $65 versus $49 for AAMI.

I made a terrible blunder today. I made an appointment with a very special forum friend and then got the time mixed up, plus my phone is not working as it should so we missed each other. For this I feel so bad....so far this was the lowpoint of the week! I will think of something special to make up to you L!

As for the rest of feelings and such - its weird and very difficult to describe. We are sort of settled in that we have all we need for now, and can live comfortably. Work is stressing me out a little. But it is slowly beginning to get through to me that we are in a different country, for good and not just on holiday. I catch myself here and there where it feels like for a moment I cannot breathe. I love the ozzies, they have been so nice to us, all the way. But in unguarded moments I realise that I will forever be a foreigner, I will always be someone from another country. Whether that is going to make a difference or not only time can tell. But emotionally it does make an impact...I realise that I have to keep check of these feelings and let them run their course but not allow them to consume me. I know that there are still a lot of adjustments to be made, but I do not want to become depressed. Hopefully I can manage this :)

Yesterday I went to the mall early to go to the bank. While waiting outside an elderly lady started chatting to me, and my accent did not phase her, she did not even ask where I was from. We just chatted and she sort of told me her life story. She also said that approaching strange people was not really her thing when she was younger, but now that she is relatively old and living alone, she finds she does it more ofter. Besides she said...I have such a nice and friendly smile, she felt she could talk to me. THAT was the highlight of my week! When the banks opened, we went our separate ways... :)

Forgot to add: OMW the spiders! what are they feeding on? We have a light outside that is activated with motion and we were sitting inside as it was a little chilly. There ran this huge spider, so big that it activated the light! And it was on the ground, probably as big as a saucer. Goodness...the critters are scary and I have arachnophobia. I bought some poison to spray on the plants and outside the house and in the airvents. They are everywhere, huge webs on all the plants. And the weirdest creatures inside the house..never seen anything like it...crawly things, buggy things, things with wings.

Edited by Toitjie

hi Eyebrow..no we got a rental without anything in it. We brought blow up mattresses, and the rest is on loan to us from various friends. I am truly blessed and lucky to have friends here who did all this for us.

• Like 1

3 December 2013

Hubby got his license yesterday and I got my car registered on my name. Boy was that expensive! Over $300 just for stampduty...rego still to do in a couple of months.

My favourite place at this stage is CanberraConnect. I have never experienced such efficiency. This is where you go for your car license, driver's license, proof of age cards, rates and taxed and a hundred other things. When you enter there is a touch screen computer with all the options in big colourful blocks and you just choose the option you are there for and a little piece of paper with a number prints. Depending on the service you need, your number can start with A, B, C etc and then your number in the queue. Then you choose a nice comfy chair and wait for your number to appear on one of the overhead electronic screens.

No need to queue. If I think back when I had to do my license at Waltloo in Pretoria I shudder. I never knew exactly where to go or what to do (and I worked there!) and the queue's were horrendous. Here I did not wait more than 5 minutes, while sitting comfortably.

Unfortunately I did not get my license yesterday due to name confusion :) My SA license had my previous married surname on it. I just did not have the energy to change it - ever - and why would I? Who cared? As long as it was valid right? Well not if you emigrate apparently. So this morning, armed with my birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce papers, new marriage certficate, passport, rental contract and just in case - all 3 my SA ID's - I went there again. This time - all was well and I got my license!

I am over the moon. Of all the docs I got and things I have done the past 10 days, today was the highlight. I feel as if I belong now that I have a valid ozzie driver's license.

we borrowed a queen size bed from a kind forumite which I am eternally grateful for. I bought nice blow up mattresses but did not take into account that Im not 20 years old anymore. Our backs just did not want to take the abuse anymore :)

Tomorrow we have to register with Centrelink and then all that is left is to finalise the school. I have filled in their electronic forms but have not heard anything yet. I will maybe phone them tomorrow.

I forget that its school still and whenever we are in Coles or somewhere, people ask the kids if they are taking the day off :)

I am also in the process of getting my registration done for volunteering at Communities @ Work. Hopefully volunteering there will lead to a job in the near future. Working on that one.

Finding a temp job is not as easy as people has told us. Everyone says there are many casual jobs for shelf packers or night packers but when we enquire, they are filled. I think these kind of posts go very quickly and you have to know someone to get it *hint hint* :)

When I wanted to get my car on my name I was supposed to have a roadworthy certificate with me, but didnt, so back to Lennock Motors who quickly arranged it. We picked it up from a busines nearby, Michelin business I think, and when the owner handed me the certificate he greeted me in Afrikaans. What a surprise! The business is run by 2 South Africans who have been here more than 14 years. It was so nice to meet them, they were so friendly and helpful, gave me a bunch of numbers, and people to contact for possible jobs and just to chat.

I honestly cannot say that we dont feel welcome. I still love everything here. The strangeness you have to take in your stride, and mix it with the positives such as the scenery (if you drive on one of the highways in the South - the view looks like the Western Cape -absolutely gorgeous) and the relaxed and friendly nature of the people. I am stunned everyday by how calm and friendly people are to us.

Oh...and for the first time we have done the self service check-out. Awesome! Its so easy I dont know why I was scared. :)

• Like 4

I just have to add: Everyone on here has said that the word "shame" does have a different meaning and should not be said...at all costs. My mouth has a will of its own and I find myself saying "shame" all over the place! As soon as I utter the word I could literally clamp my hand over my mouth and kick myself! Very weird for me, because I mean it so sincerely. The once or twice I have said it while have a nice chat to a salesperson, they have not batted an eyelash so Im hopeful maybe they didnt hear me? Anyway...just a little piece of useless info :)

I found the more I restricted myself from using the word "shame", the more it slipped out! So, I decided that people accept the Scottish referring to "Wee lass/lad" and have learnt what it meant, I'm sure they'll figure out or even ask if they wanted to know what we meant with shame. Nobody at work lifts an eyebrow either when I use it.

I agree about the self service check-out: so intimidating at first, but now I prefer them!

Had to laugh about all your identification documents! At least it all went well! :-D