"See you in the Under Down" - our journey of arrival after drifting

Toitjie

So glad Lucy passed all her tests. That must be such a huge relief!! Will be thinking about your little furbaby as she makes her way across the ocean. her very own incredible journey. What a "tail" she could tell if only dogs could speak.

Sounds like things are really falling into place for you all. The volunteering idea sounds like a good one...will def have a look into that.

Sending loads of hugs your way!

• 2 weeks later...

28 December

I hope everyone had a blessed christmas! We were away for a week, to South Durras near Batemans Bay. I am so glad I decided to do this week, I thought about this when we were still in SA and I thought for our first christmas I think we should be in a proper holiday mode, and it was really a good idea.

I dont think I realised just how many trees there are in this country. The forests are huge! Where we stayed was basically in a state forest, and its hundreds and hundreds of square kilometres big. It almost feels like the Knysna woods...sort of. We loved the week there. Apart from not having any cell reception (which is maybe a blessing in disguise), and the sun that surprised us. I burned a lot on my back where I didnt spray. The sun here is no joke, you really have to be careful.

We discovered the most beautiful little beaches. Some very discreet and out of the way, and some so beautiful that you catch your breath. We went to Pebbly beach which is fantastic. We stayed on cookies beach which is an off-leash beach so I know where I can take Lucy next time :) We also went to a few other, I will post some pics later.

Christmas was with us, my brother and his girlfriend. It was really great. We had to drive to Bateman's to get reception and phoned all the family, but generally I didnt feel sad or alone or wanted to go back. It was really just a nice, laid-back week.

I absolutely enjoyed my X-trail! Too much...the gogga has bitten me. The state forest has these off-road trails but in very good condition, but still, here and there a little rough, and up and down hills etc. My X-trail did beautifully and I enjoyed it so much, I just wanted to explore the woods every day. My kids later said, how many more trees DO I want to see!

Lucy is safe and sound at Eastern creek. They didnt phone me, I had to contact them, but anyway, she is there although they are closed now so we will visit her next week 2 January, when they open again. I cannot wait to see her. I have also been informed that our container has arrived and I have to pay $550 inspecition fees.

It looks like we will receive our container and Lucy at more or less the same time!

Now that the holiday is over, I truly realise that we are here, holiday and festivities over. I have to start looking for a job in all earnesty. Im a little stressed about this. Hubby met someone at work who told him that the job market in Canberra is really really slow. He is a graphic designer but will never go back to it. I know its easy to say oh I will work the till at Coles, but its easier said than done. Those jobs are extremely scarce and sometimes not even advertised.

Anyway...will post again later...I hope everyone has a blessed holiday and new year!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

7 January 2014

My first journal entry for 2014. Now that our holiday is over, it feels more like we are here to stay now. Its weird, but because we landed in November and I knew there was a week in Batemans Bay coming up, it all just felt like a long holiday. Well that feeling is gone Im afraid.

Now it's crunch time. Hubby is working every day, we are in some sort of a routine (not the kids though - they still go to bed around 11pm which freaks me out because I always loved those few hours late at night with peace and quiet. Now they just wont go to bed!)

Anyway...I have never worked so hard on my CV as now. Its always open on my computer, I tweak and change it constantly, and I have applied for so many posts. Hopefully with everyone going to work this and next week, I will start getting some responses. The wait is killing me. I won't lie - the issue of being without a job is getting to me. I stress a lot about it, but I know I will find something in due course.

I have phoned the elec company about our high elec bill and they basically said they also think its very high so before they billed they sent someone out again just to double check, but that is the reading so nothing they can do about it. The usage for about 3 weeks was 1100 units. I have checked the meter yesterday and for the 3 weeks after their last reading up to yesterday was only 161 units so I think now its ok. What made the usage go so high in the beginning is beyond me. They started counting 3 days before we landed so Im thinking someone either had keys and did something or Im paying for part of the previous tenants' usage. At least it will look better, even if my first account was so ridiculous.

I have taken the kids to Questacon which was awesome. I really love the place. Science is big for me and I love all the different things they explain to the kids - how a tsunami is formed, how electricity works, how rain is formed, how physics work etc. There are a million things to do and see. We also went to the dinosaur museum. Also nice, but small, and very expensive in my opinion. All these places have a relatively high admission fee and I feel the bite :)

We have been to visit with Lucy last week. It was really awful. She is in a concrete cage with no grass, unlike Keringa. She didn't look ecstatic to see us which of course just broke my heart. Im hoping that when this is all over, she will forget what I put her through and love us again. I have arranged for a dog walker for this and next week, to visit her daily and take her for walks and play with her. I will receive photos today after her first visit. Its expensive but I cannot bear thinking she has to sit there day in and day out without any activity.

Our container will be inspected tomorrow by quarantine officials then we will know if they found anything wrong or if it was cleared. So hopefully by next week we will have the container as well as Lucy. Then I will have everything around me that I missed and needed :)

Our garden is coming along nicely. We have planted flowers and sowed grass seeds which has germinated and is now about 4cm tall. The soil was rock hard...according to a friend due to Canberra being on clay ground and recent droughts. Also it seems the previous tenants did not ever give the garden water and it seems were really filthy people. I have cleaned the oven - it looked like a horror movie was shot in there. Greasy oily red grime everywhere. It took me two days of chemical spraying and scrubbing until it was spick and span.

The meat still taste strange to me. Im not sure if its because there are less hormones or if its just better quality? The mince is ok...Im getting used to the taste although I do use a lot of spices (those I brought on the plane in a large suitcase :) ) and we love the rumpsteak. Its way softer and more tender that what we bought in SA. But the weekend, next to the rumpsteak was round steak, so we tried it. There was no fat on it but it tasted horrible. Will not buy that again. With regards to food, I have found yoghurt, cheese, milk and mayonnaise that I like. No worries there. I still cannot get over the high price of bread! But Im getting there.

Our first inspection is also coming up for next week, which Im hoping will not be the same day that the container arrives...that might be a disaster. But we'll see. Im hoping the agent will se that we are good tenants and that I have cleaned up things that were supposed to be clean when we move in, because I want to request that they trim some of the trees. There is a nice shed but I cannot get in there for fear of death. There are so many spiderwebs and spiders lurking because there is a huge bush overgrowing over the hedge - I want them to cut that away and clean it up. Nor sure how this kind of negotiations work so will know by next week I guess :)

I still haven't gotten round to posting pics to photobucket so I can embed them here...will do that sometime.

I have had a few days of losing my mojo. Like something is missing. Its probably part of the adapting process, but when you have done all the run around stuff, you get those days that feel a little empty. But even so, I still love Canberra. Not just saying that. It really is a beautiful city. I love the view wherever I drive of distant mountain ranges. I would love to explore those mountains.....just drive down gravel roads, discovering little waterfalls etc.

Now...back to Seek to see what they have on offer this morning :)

Edited by Toitjie

Hi Toitjie,

I tried to PM you with some questions I have on Canberra, more the areas in and around Gunghalin, but they do not want to go through?

Shame Toitjie, poor Lucy! I'm glad she will come back to you so soon and then you can bond again. Can't believe they just have concrete :(

Good luck with the job search! Hope you get some interviews soon :)

• Like 1

hi M, I will check my mailbox, its probably full :) sorry about that

Sending you big hugs. I'm sure Lucy will be fine once this is over. They are more resilient than we think and once she is home with you, and loved to bits, and with all familiar things around her, this will all be a distant memory. Hang on to that x

Good luck with the job hunt. I'm sure the right thing will come for you. Remember how far you have come, and what you've put in place so far. A miracle really! Try to relax and be good to yourself. Feel the new job just waiting till you are a bit more rested.

• Like 1

With regard to the job hunting, you need to relax a bit, offices only really take off at the end of January, when the kids go back to school. January is definitely still holiday month in Australia. So do not stress, just go with the flow.

• Like 1

8 Janaury

thanx Mara, I will relax. I know I have to :) Its not like I can start working now anyway, while the kids are at home someone has to look after the philistines...

Today I had one of those "aaaaarrrgggghhhh" moments! The ones that you just know is going to cost you a lot of money. Before the container was packed I had to fill in a form to indicate any items that might be inspected, so I filled in horse equipment. Then I had a change of heard, sold all the horse tack, scratched it out on the form and re-sent it to the agent.

Obviously they never sent the amended form because quarantine inspected my container today and indicated that they will have to do another inspection on Friday for the horse equipment. I told the lady this side that I took it out, they will not find anything! She said well you declared it so they will now search for it (although she will show the officer my email - not sure if that would be enough though)

Does this mean they will now unpack every box until they can verify for themselves that there are no horse tack in there? This is going to cost a lot!

Edited by Toitjie

If I was you I would semd a snotty leter to the shipping company hold them liable for the costs if there are any. You amended the form and sent it back to them (hope youbhave proof of that). It's their fault if they didn't pass it onto customs this side.

• Like 1

I cant find it!!!!!!!!! Have searched all my emails but you know how gmail works, its confusing as hell!

I have just printed the original form again, amended again and sent it directly to this agent. Will see if they accept. In any case, the officer will have to come out on Friday again so there will be costs...consequences....stress...

You are doing so great Toitjie...I am often reading on my phone and don't like to try write stuff with the freaking swipe key (bane of my life I tell ya) so I don't often say what I want to say. But you are one of the inspiring people on this forum that I really look up to. Thank you for continuing to share your experiences there...it is so valuable to all of us still waiting to make the move.

I am sure your little Lucy will be back to her old happy self in no time. She is probably just wondering what the freak just happened to her...major adventure for a little dog to fly across the ocean to a foreign place. Soon everything will fall back into place.

Huge huge hugs!!

Awww...just saw the latest!! Hope you manage to get that sorted!! What a complete pain in the butt!!!!

• Like 3

Thanx Bri, that means a lot to me. I love to write and some days I just don't feel like it. But I remember how I read every journal I could find on this forum, especially when people started working and settling in. I know the ups and downs are necessary and sharing them will help in some way I hope.

I just wish I could meet everyone that I chat to on this forum. Everyone is so far away and the chances of most of us ever meeting is slim...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

18 January

This week we had our first inspection from the agent. It was a breeze. I was halfway cleaning our bathroom when we got guests so I forgot about the bathroom and when she arrived it was still not completely tidy. I also forgot to wash the windows as they had some water splatter from watering the garden, but the agent was more looking at the inside walls for holes and marks etc. She was extremely happy, and said the place looks great. I pointed out a few things that was not completely working and she promised they would be replaced or fixed. I can honestly say i have the best agent in Canberra! :) I love PRD, such great people and if you do your bit, they do theirs.

the container will be delivered 29 January which Im happy about. I am extremely frustrated with the way some people communicate. I was told by the agent that the cat carry box was an issue for the quarantine officer. This was after he had an issue with the horse equipment i declared and in the end, he said I have to complete a statutory declaration that there is no horse tack in the container. So I did and he released it, except for the cat box. I remember now that Execumove's guys told me to wash the box, which I did. But I guess this is what worries them the most. Not our wooden furniture or the wicker basket or antiques. but if there is anything to do with an animal, they question it. Had to pay $80 for that mistake but no worries.

i have interrupted myself :) I wanted to say about the communication....Im trying to ask the agent so what is the procedure from here? I mean, will the cat box delay the delivery or will they wait and what will it cost if they deliver seperately? Her reply is "they will deliver seperately".

I dont know if this is a universal thing or maybe just the environment in which I used to work, but because I worked with unions so much and people from all walks of life, i learned to answer an email or any query properly. I answered in full sentences and explained everything, different outcomes or scenarios and implications for all of them. So that it would not be necessary that the person keep on sending me questions, I tried to answer them all. Not so in this case, so I still dont know when the cat box will arrive, whether I have to collect and if they deliver, whether I would pay for it and how much. Hpmf....

On Tuesday afternoon I went bundu-bashing, the kids and me alone. In the mountains. A bit scary actually since the moment you leave any city, there is just no cellphone reception. Apparently the guys work with radios so I will have to get me one of those I guess...if I want to do more of this. If we had a breakdown it would probably have been a disaster..since no-one really knew where we were. Next time I will prepare better. But it was such fun! The 4x4 guys are making fun of me and my mock 4x4 (X-trail) but Im so happy with it. I dont care that I dont have that little low range lever thingy... I dont want to put my X-trail in those type of situations anyway...Im happy enough to do some off road and fire trails and the like. I will leave the dongas for the real guys with their toys :whome: but it's all good...I kow its just joking around

And today......was a big day. Little Lucy came home. Finally. I cannot describe the emotions I felt. I can see she is a little flustered, its all so much and she probably does not know what is happening. But she is exploring the whole house and garden, comes when we call her so i think it will be ok.

All that really worries me is that she cannot bark. She tried to bark when we took her for a walk to the pond, and she saw the ducks, but she could not get a sound out! I was alarmed, I cannot imagine that they will give me back a sick dog? or worse.....

Im still volunteering...and there are 2 or 3 positions that look promising. Hopefully they will see me around and get used to me, and when they see my application, they might just give me a chance. Lets hope.

The heatwave that Australia is currently experiencing is terrible. I have never felt so listless in such heat. And Canberra is not near the 46 of Adelaide or Melbourne. Dare I say I cannot wait for winter :)

20 January

I might have a bite...the suspense is going to kill me. While I was sitting and applying for 2 jobs on Seek, my phone rang but I missed it. The message said to call her back, leaving the name of the company and a number.

But....when I phoned back they said they dont know a person by that name, but would give my name to the recruitment people and they would phone me back. So hopefully this is an interview? goodness......my heart is beating so fast....Im not used to this anymore :)

Ok the lady phoned back, from Perth...helping out a Canberra colleague..or something. But I have an interview and its tomorrow!

I have been caught off guard completely. She asked me a lot of questions like have I booked a holiday for this year etc. She also asked what my minimum salary expectations were, and here I blundered a bit. I told her as Im new to the country I dont have a job yet so I dont really have a minimum that I cannot live without. Maybe I should learn to keep my mouth shut when I dont have a good answer? Anyway...I have been studying everything about nurses, the awards and workplace agreements etc since this job is about placing nurses in the surrounding hospitals.

The other thing that I have noticed in many (if not most) companies is that they appoint you as a casual for 3 months. That way, if it does not work our or they dont like you they can let you go with minimum fuss. Im not used to this approach as I come from a very unionised environment.

• Like 1

Good luck Toitjie, I am sure you will land a job soon. Holding thumbs for you!

• Like 1

Good luck Toitjie!

It seems best to be humble, so don't beat yourself up it might just turn out to be the "right" thing and not the "wrong" thing.

Holding thumbs!

• Like 1

Good luck with the interview. Will be holding thumbs that it comes through for you.

Goodluck, I really hope you get the job. Let us know! Holding all my thumbs

• Like 1

thanx guys..I appreciate this so much. I will let you know how it went. I have made notes on pages and pages of paper. Not typed, but handwritten, just feels more comfortable to see my own handwriting (not that anyone would be able to read my scribbling). But for now, Im going to bed, to let everything just "percolate" in my head :)

• Like 2