Milo has caffiene in it!

Guest Lara

I will test your grape juice theory.

I read somewhere that they add some white powder to table salt. I bought some sea salt today - it's better to stick to the unprocessed stuff.

They have so much salt in packaged goods - you just have to read the labels. There must be so many people with kidney problems.

It's a fair assumption, but keep in mind that this is the analysis of the Milo base, the powder. When diluted with milk/water, you are looking at about 250mg per 100g.

For comparison purposes, the foods below also contain glutamic acid in the following concentrations (mg/100g):

Marmite 1960

Vegemite 1431

Roquefort cheese 1280

Parmesan cheese 1200

Grape juice 258

Peas 200

Tomatoes 140

Corn 130

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavor)

So, if glutamic acid is the culprit, your kids should have about the same reaction from drinking Milo as from drinking grape juice. It would be a nice test to perform.

Just as a small side-note, MSG is not really glutamic acid, it's the sodium salt thereof. There is a difference between the two concepts. For example, chlorine (nasty, poisonous gas) also has a mono-sodium salt, and that's the common, essential, useful table salt.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Omzig

• polly

• AllisonW

• Cyberdeth

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be a while before I throw out sunscreen.... skin cancer is a bigger threat to my family.

Sunscreen has a hidden danger. Because you block the sun from your skin, your body cannot manufacture the much needed Vitamin D, activate it to cholesterol, that in turn has the function of cleansing your blood of the 'bad guys', through working it out to your lymph nodes and out through your sweat. Sunscreen blocks 'detox' of your body in multiple ways and then we're not even talking about all the chemicals in sunscreen. Go read the list and search on the web. Your skin absorbs at least 60 % of every thing you put on it. That includes deodorants (containing aluminium), etc. Plain cold pressed (virgin) olive oil serves very well as sunscreen and the beta-carotene in carrots, butternut and mangoes, are brilliant sun-protectors, as it stimulates the production of pigmentation, or melatonine in your skin and prevent you from burning red.

ummmmm...doesnt all chocholate have caffeine in it???

aaag shame...no easter eggs for some kids :ilikeit:

what did i just say?

Welcome back !! Missed you !

I don't know if all chocholate has caffeine in it?

I'm sure you've heard chocolate is harmful to dogs and cats. If you woudn't feed it to your pets would you feed it to your children?

It's not the caffeine that's the problem, caffeine only stimulates your system for about 45 minutes. It's all the stuff that goes with: usually, caffeine is consumed together with sugar. The combination stimulates your heartbeat, metabolism and throws your sugar-levels and consequently, your liver into producing a mega-load of insulin to try and balance the sugar. So everything in your body goes on hyper. And beside the point that refined sugar actively hinders your immune system and prevents your body to effectively detox during sleep, your body goes in metabolic overdrive, thus absorbing the sugar and pumping it into your bloodstream dangerously fast.

You can try to get used to that nice, DARK, bitter chocolate of Lindt, with 75% cacao. Even better, if you can find organic cacao-chocolate, for the oils in commercial cacao is altered to uselessnes for your body by heating it for the sake of longer shelf-life.

Swiss-water-decaf coffee will get rid of the caffein if you like coffee right before bedtime or if you're pregnant or lactating.

It's a fair assumption, but keep in mind that this is the analysis of the Milo base, the powder. When diluted with milk/water, you are looking at about 250mg per 100g.

For comparison purposes, the foods below also contain glutamic acid in the following concentrations (mg/100g):

Marmite 1960

Vegemite 1431

Roquefort cheese 1280

Parmesan cheese 1200

Grape juice 258

Peas 200

Tomatoes 140

Corn 130

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavor)

So, if glutamic acid is the culprit, your kids should have about the same reaction from drinking Milo as from drinking grape juice. It would be a nice test to perform.

Just as a small side-note, MSG is not really glutamic acid, it's the sodium salt thereof. There is a difference between the two concepts. For example, chlorine (nasty, poisonous gas) also has a mono-sodium salt, and that's the common, essential, useful table salt.

It might be that the MSG in grape juice is the original, natural version and the MSG in Vegemite is a sinthetically produced lab-product ? I understand that some people can even react to a 'nature identical', but synthetic version of a chemical compound.

That is so true. I can't eat natural legumes grown in organic soil.

I'm trying to find out if I'm currently reacting to natural potassium sulphate and whether it is causing palpitations and apnea.

It might be that the MSG in grape juice is the original, natural version and the MSG in Vegemite is a sinthetically produced lab-product ? I understand that some people can even react to a 'nature identical', but synthetic version of a chemical compound.

Sunscreen has a hidden danger. Because you block the sun from your skin, your body cannot manufacture the much needed Vitamin D, activate it to cholesterol, that in turn has the function of cleansing your blood of the 'bad guys', through working it out to your lymph nodes and out through your sweat. Sunscreen blocks 'detox' of your body in multiple ways and then we're not even talking about all the chemicals in sunscreen. Go read the list and search on the web. Your skin absorbs at least 60 % of every thing you put on it. That includes deodorants (containing aluminium), etc. Plain cold pressed (virgin) olive oil serves very well as sunscreen and the beta-carotene in carrots, butternut and mangoes, are brilliant sun-protectors, as it stimulates the production of pigmentation, or melatonine in your skin and prevent you from burning red.

You are joking, right? Please see this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/743514.stm

Olive oil is not a sunscreen - it does not stop UV rays penetrating the skin.

"You could argue that olive oil won't do you any harm anyway, and it's a nice moisturiser. But I wouldn't want people to get the impression that if they sunbathe and paint their skin with olive oil they will be OK."

Putting on olive oil while sunbathing is like putting on baby oil. It makes it worse.

My kids and husband's skins are so white, they often overexpose completely in photos. And I look like a galaxy with all my moles. Sorry, no go. Not with the Aussie sun.

Olive oil is brilliant stuff.

Viva Manto, viva!

Natural vs "chemical" potassium phosphate?

Natural vs "synthesized", yet "nature-identical" MSG?

Refined sugar actively hindering the immune system?

Organic cacao beans, with useless oils? Not cocoa, the product?

"Dangerous" sunscreen with 60% body absorption rate... of toxic aluminium?

Olive oil and carrots used as sunscreen?

Dogs and humans having the same dietary requirements?

All hormones are oestrogen? Even rBST, which is actually a protein and has absolutely no effect on humans?

Glutamic acid is same as MSG, and either way is toxic?

Trace caffeine content in Milo poisoning children?

Immunizations more harmful than good?

Eish.

What's your excuse, people?

I know, it's a legacy of apartheid!

I'm trying to find out if I'm currently reacting to natural potassium sulphate and whether it is causing palpitations and apnea.

If your body can tell the difference between natural potassium sulphate and the synthesized one, please take care not to inhale any man-made, artificial oxygen. It's also a molecule, consisting of two oxygen atoms, and is sometimes synthesized by electrolysis of water or as a byproduct of some chemical reactions used in the industry.

When I had my last c-section I tried to push the oxygen mask off my face as I felt I was suffocating. When I came round it took 6 people to hold me on the table. I don't remember it. I only remember my second awakening and seeing my newborn son.

If your body can tell the difference between natural potassium sulphate and the synthesized one, please take care not to inhale any man-made, artificial oxygen. It's also a molecule, consisting of two oxygen atoms, and is sometimes synthesized by electrolysis of water or as a byproduct of some chemical reactions used in the industry.

I saw a program called brainiac the other day where they tested this theory. They wanted to see if you could get drunk without actually consuming alcohol.

1. They pure rubbed alcohol wipes all over his body. Result 0.0% alcohol in his blood stream.

2. He bathed in a tub full of beer for 2 hours. Result 0.01% alcohol in his blood stream.

3. He sat in a sauna where he threw vodka over the coals for two hours, ie inhaling the steam/alcohol. Result 1.78% alcohol in his blood stream.

Using olive oil as protection is simply ridiculous, Think about it, what happens when you heat up olive/sunflower oil, yes it burns and cooks. So using olive oil is a no-no. If you put it on, you WILL look like a well cooked lobster. I think you are just worrying about nothing. Here's a plan, don't go outside.... C'mon guys there are worse things to worry about like spiders, snakes, crocodiles, mosquitos, coconuts (more people are killed from falling coconuts than sharks per year), sharks, driving in the car, etc etc. Just use sunscreen, go for immunizations, and just enjoy your life. Stop worrying about the small things, life goes past waaayyy too quickly to worry about every little thing.

"What's your excuse, people?"

It works.

Don't worry too much, I think we all know stress can affect you negatively. Relax, take your pills, immunization, preservatives, colourants and flavourants and enjoy the rest of your life.

If you come to a day when no pills helps anymore, try to remember that our bodies was, as part of creation, made to use what is part of natural creation. You don't throw methanol into your car's petrol tank, it's not meant to run on methanol, exept when you're a dragster !

Enjoy life, you have to die of something !

Enjoy life, you have to die of something !

True, otherwise we'd be knee-deep in people already!

Well I don't have to worry about the mosquitos as I'm immune to malaria.

Here is one line of thought:

Olive oil sun protection is a misleading phrase. Olive oil doesn't protect against skin damage caused by the sun, but it does go to work repairing damaged skin and protecting against skin cancer.

http://www.amazingoliveoil.com/olive-oil-sun-protection.html

I saw a program called brainiac the other day where they tested this theory. They wanted to see if you could get drunk without actually consuming alcohol.

1. They pure rubbed alcohol wipes all over his body. Result 0.0% alcohol in his blood stream.

2. He bathed in a tub full of beer for 2 hours. Result 0.01% alcohol in his blood stream.

3. He sat in a sauna where he threw vodka over the coals for two hours, ie inhaling the steam/alcohol. Result 1.78% alcohol in his blood stream.

Using olive oil as protection is simply ridiculous, Think about it, what happens when you heat up olive/sunflower oil, yes it burns and cooks. So using olive oil is a no-no. If you put it on, you WILL look like a well cooked lobster. I think you are just worrying about nothing. Here's a plan, don't go outside.... C'mon guys there are worse things to worry about like spiders, snakes, crocodiles, mosquitos, coconuts (more people are killed from falling coconuts than sharks per year), sharks, driving in the car, etc etc. Just use sunscreen, go for immunizations, and just enjoy your life. Stop worrying about the small things, life goes past waaayyy too quickly to worry about every little thing.

You are brilliant! :ilikeit:

Well I don't have to worry about the mosquitos as I'm immune to malaria.

Here is one line of thought:

Olive oil sun protection is a misleading phrase. Olive oil doesn't protect against skin damage caused by the sun, but it does go to work repairing damaged skin and protecting against skin cancer.

http://www.amazingoliveoil.com/olive-oil-sun-protection.html

They don't have malaria in Aus, they do carry the following though :

Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes in Australia include Dengue fever, Australian encephalitis, Ross River (RR) virus disease and Barmah Forerst (BF) virus disease. Dengue is the most important viral disease transmitted by mosquitoes afflicting humans in a world context. Clinical symptoms range from mild fevers, to a severe and potentially life threatening haemorrhagic disease. In Australia, Dengue fever is restricted to Quensland where the major vector Aedes aegypti occurs. "Australian encephalitis" (AE), or "Murray Valley encephalitis" are synonyms for a clinical syndrome caused by infection with Murray Valley encephalitis virus or Kunjin virus. Symptoms are variable, from mild to severe with permanent impaired neurological functions, to sometimes fatal. Cases of AE occur sporadically in northern Australia and especially in the northwest of WA, but there have been no cases of MVE recorded in southeastern Australia since 1974. Ross River and Barmah Forest disease have been collectively known as "Epidemic Polyarthritis", however the two diseases have a slightly different clinical picture. A wide variety of symptoms may occur from rashes with fevers, to arthritis that can last from months to years with RR virus infection. RR disease is the most commonly reported mosquito transmitted disease to humans (over 6,500 cases in 1997) and occurs in all states of Australia. There are occassional local epidemics with hundreds to thousands of infections, with many going unreported. BF disease occurs in most states of Australia, although the annual number of cases are around 1/10th that of RR disease. A series of outbreaks during the early 1990's has highlighted the increasing importance of BF disease. Malaria in Australia has been endemic, but was declared eradicated from the country in 1981. However, approximately 700-800 cases are imported annually from travellers infected elsewhere.

so yeah, malaria is the least of your problems in Aus.

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/arbovirus/mosquit/mosqfact.htm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have solved a mystery for me.

Nickel, G6PD, immunisations and dengue feverlike symptoms are all interlinked.

They don't have malaria in Aus, they do carry the following though :

Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes in Australia include Dengue fever, Australian encephalitis, Ross River (RR) virus disease and Barmah Forerst (BF) virus disease. Dengue is the most important viral disease transmitted by mosquitoes afflicting humans in a world context. Clinical symptoms range from mild fevers, to a severe and potentially life threatening haemorrhagic disease. In Australia, Dengue fever is restricted to Quensland where the major vector Aedes aegypti occurs. "Australian encephalitis" (AE), or "Murray Valley encephalitis" are synonyms for a clinical syndrome caused by infection with Murray Valley encephalitis virus or Kunjin virus. Symptoms are variable, from mild to severe with permanent impaired neurological functions, to sometimes fatal. Cases of AE occur sporadically in northern Australia and especially in the northwest of WA, but there have been no cases of MVE recorded in southeastern Australia since 1974. Ross River and Barmah Forest disease have been collectively known as "Epidemic Polyarthritis", however the two diseases have a slightly different clinical picture. A wide variety of symptoms may occur from rashes with fevers, to arthritis that can last from months to years with RR virus infection. RR disease is the most commonly reported mosquito transmitted disease to humans (over 6,500 cases in 1997) and occurs in all states of Australia. There are occassional local epidemics with hundreds to thousands of infections, with many going unreported. BF disease occurs in most states of Australia, although the annual number of cases are around 1/10th that of RR disease. A series of outbreaks during the early 1990's has highlighted the increasing importance of BF disease. Malaria in Australia has been endemic, but was declared eradicated from the country in 1981. However, approximately 700-800 cases are imported annually from travellers infected elsewhere.

so yeah, malaria is the least of your problems in Aus.

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/arbovirus/mosquit/mosqfact.htm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have solved a mystery for me.

Nickel, G6PD, immunisations and dengue feverlike symptoms are all interlinked.

Lara, just out of curiosity, are you just a carrier of G6PD, or, are you actually also affected by it?

I'm asking because I'm assuming that you are a woman. In this case you have two X chromosomes, and G6PD is only present in the X chromosome. It's also a recessive gene, meaning, if one of your X chromosomes doesn't carry this particular allele, then you are not affected, however you are still a carrier. The chances that both of your X chromosomes are carrying the G6PD allele are very slim. In fact, since 6% of the population are affected by G6PD, your chances of being affected are 0.36% and that's really small odds...

Lara, is this some kind of joke? Do you really believe all this nonsense that you are writing here or are you having us on? do you really live in perpetual fear of everything around you and everything that you consume? do you really have nothing better to do? I keep on waiting for Leon Schuster to pop up somewhere? No vaccines, no chocolates, no milo, no sunscreen? What planet are you from? I have three words for you: Get a Life! Are you going to go Michael Jackson on us and walk around with a mask on?

No man, i must be getting punked!

AllisonW, Your post was REALLY uncalled for and a personal derogatory post like that is something that you are not worthy of. In your other posts on this forum these kinds of low-blows is frowned on and YOU have told other people not to do so, so please don't do it yourself.

Respect other peoples' right to an opinion, if you don't agree there's no reason to get all patronizing. Who knows maybe she is right and you the ignorant one....

No Louw, i stand by what i said. I really get the sense that this person cannot be serious. As i indicated my family is largely vegetarian and we try to live a healthy lifestyle. I am really amazed that someone would really say things like "dont use sunscreen - use olive oil". Especially in a country like Australia. Or for that matter advocate that people should not vaccinate their children.

I read the entire post and Lara has flucutated from every single item under the sun. It started off with the milo and then ranged a huge list of items from grape juice to chocolate. I really want to know is this for real? Can people really exist like this? Is this a joke? She seems to just move from one paranoia to another. I am all for debate but this seem so to be a joke. Can one really function like this?

A debate on a healthy organic diet, free range meat and eggs etc, that is fine, but I am cannot fathom what Lara would like out of this thread? Furthermore, Lara seems to just google random food items and post these links.

So i ask again, am i being punked? Or Lara, do you really live your life like this? Ready every single label, then googling every additive, avoiding every chemical, not vaccinating your children? Do you make use of medication for your children?

I am not going to feed into this behaviour and normalise it Louw. People who do not vaccinate their kids, dont use sunscreen etc? I am going to challenge these views because i believe that they are harmful.

Al

Just to further support my concerns please read the following from http://www.coolibar.com/australian-experience.html

Australia has the highest incidence of skin cancer of any country in the world. Two out of three Australians will be treated for some form of skin cancer during their lifetime and melanoma is more commonly diagnosed than lung cancer. Factors contributing to Australia’s skin cancer rates include the generally light skinned population, the active outdoor lifestyle, the country’s relatively clear skies and depleted ozone layer, and the country’s location close to the equator.

Data from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare/Australasian Association of Cancer Registries shows the incidence of melanoma in Australia had been on the rise since the 1930s. In 1997 the raw incidence was 50.5 per 100,000 in men and 39.9 per 100,000 in women. Queensland, the state with the highest incidence of melanoma in Australia, had rates almost 30% higher. Raw melanoma mortality rates for Australia in 1997 were 6.3 per 100,000 for men and 3.5 per 100,000 for women.

This is furthermore supported by the Australian Cancer Association: http://www.cancer.org.au/Healthprofessiona...tfactsheets.htm

Skin cancer is the most common cancer

diagnosed in Australia. More than 430,000

Australians are treated a year for skin cancers.

Of these, over 10,500 new cases of melanoma

are diagnosed. Each year there are around 1600

deaths from melanoma and non-melanoma skin

cancer. Australia and New Zealand have the

highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

However, in retrospect, if i was overtly rude to you Lara, i apologize. I just cannot understand your viewpoints. These things save people's lives.