Milo has caffiene in it!

Guest Lara

Jeanne,

in order to have a good and balanced discussion, we have to agree on certain debating standards. To be very honest, I suspect that this is going to be a waste of time, because I'm afraid that in terms of reference points we live in different universes which are not at all parallel.

I have read the websites you list, but have decided not to make a comment on their quality.

I would like to suggest that you read a very useful and interesting book by Carl Sagan, called "The Demon Haunted World". It talks about crop circles, alien abductions, witchcraft, and logical fallacies, amongst others. I mean this is in a very respectful way. It will help you to understand the foundations of a viewpoint which is very different to yours.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Omzig

• polly

• AllisonW

• Cyberdeth

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a wonderful organic household cleaner...actually works better than anything else I've had in the past and smells like oranges...but I go to the doctor when I get sick, hubby drink the milk here and I'm glad to report he hasn't grown any man boobs...my cousin's daughter in Perth drinks Milo, doesn't suffer any negative side effects either.

I'm all for living healthy...but it doesn't hurt to question things you read on the internet. My mother in-law is a micro-biologist and just listening to her telling of all the highly inaccurate things that are out there on the internet is scary, and people take it at face value.

I say be environmentally friendly where you can, enjoy life and everything in moderation.

Just my 2c worth.

The best debating standard is respect for one another despite differing opinions. :ilikeit:

I don't want to judge a book by its cover, so give a brief overview please?

edit: OMzig, Sorry,my post is not very clear: I am referring to the book you mentioned above.

Edited by Jeanne

Jeanne,

For every site you can refer me to i can refer you to a handful of others disputing your view. This has been discussed before and i stand by what I say. Science has shown us that with an improved understanding if immunology, vaccinations can save the lives of thousands of children around the world, prevent pain and suffering. Yet we have to hear crack pot theories around why immunizations are wrong. Vaccination has all but wiped out diseases like polio. You are just wrong and i am not interested in hearing why i would be doing my children a favour by denying them potentially life saving medical interventions.

Finish and Klaar!

I don't want to judge a book by its cover, so give a brief overview please?

edit: OMzig, Sorry,my post is not very clear: I am referring to the book you mentioned above.

Jeanne,

The book explains the "scientific method" to people who haven't had scientific training. The subtitle is "Science as a Candle in the Dark". It's well written, easy to read, presents both sides of the coin, and goes into nice detail on logic and fallacies. Judging by your posts, I have all hope that you will read it and we will be able to continue this discussion later.

Please watch Gatica, National Treasure, I am Legend and Da Vinci Code.

Jeanne,

For every site you can refer me to i can refer you to a handful of others disputing your view. This has been discussed before and i stand by what I say. Science has shown us that with an improved understanding if immunology, vaccinations can save the lives of thousands of children around the world, prevent pain and suffering. Yet we have to hear crack pot theories around why immunizations are wrong. Vaccination has all but wiped out diseases like polio. You are just wrong and i am not interested in hearing why i would be doing my children a favour by denying them potentially life saving medical interventions.

Finish and Klaar!

Please watch Gatica, National Treasure, I am Legend and Da Vinci Code.

LOL those are all fear mongering movies. Next thing you know freddy and jason will be walking up and down your street and in your nightmares. Don't even get me started with Armageddon type of movies with asteroids slamming into the earth. Movies are just that, they display the worst case scenario of any situation. But you have to take it with a whole sack of salt. The real thing though is the internet censoring that happening in aus now. That is much worse than any vaccine. That like building a library and saying you are only allowed to take out the comic books.

ummmmm...doesnt all chocholate have caffeine in it???

aaag shame...no easter eggs for some kids <_<

what did i just say?

There have been far too many blackouts recently in northern towns. Something weird is happening here. Even cell phones wouldn't work? EMP?

LOL those are all fear mongering movies. Next thing you know freddy and jason will be walking up and down your street and in your nightmares. Don't even get me started with Armageddon type of movies with asteroids slamming into the earth. Movies are just that, they display the worst case scenario of any situation. But you have to take it with a whole sack of salt. The real thing though is the internet censoring that happening in aus now. That is much worse than any vaccine. That like building a library and saying you are only allowed to take out the comic books.

I don't know if all chocholate has caffeine in it?

I'm sure you've heard chocolate is harmful to dogs and cats. If you woudn't feed it to your pets would you feed it to your children?

ummmmm...doesnt all chocholate have caffeine in it???

aaag shame...no easter eggs for some kids <_<

what did i just say?

I'm sure you've heard chocolate is harmful to dogs and cats. If you woudn't feed it to your pets would you feed it to your children?

Yes, that's a great action plan! Have you already turfed all your chocolate and replaced it with dog food? I mean, if we feed dog food to our pets, it must be good for our children, right?

I mean, if we feed dog food to our pets, it must be good for our children, right?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This thread should be in the funnies!! :whome:

LOL those are all fear mongering movies. .......................with asteroids slamming into the earth. ......................

On the 'lighter side' - seen as you mentioned Asteroids slamming into earth ....... well not yet ..... but ......

before dawn on 22nd April - tomorrow - the Lyrid meteor shower (stream of dusty debris from Comet Thatcher) will be visible - ten to twenty 'small' meteors should be visible per hour !

for more detail see link below

Ref. http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=8154

Yes, that's a great action plan! Have you already turfed all your chocolate and replaced it with dog food? I mean, if we feed dog food to our pets, it must be good for our children, right?

Omzig, glad to see you can still keep your sense of humour in a discussion... I've been avaoiding posting in this thread... but i just have to appreciate your wit...

:whome:

Thanks for that. I hope I'll be able to see it from here.

On the 'lighter side' - seen as you mentioned Asteroids slamming into earth ....... well not yet ..... but ......

before dawn on 22nd April - tomorrow - the Lyrid meteor shower (stream of dusty debris from Comet Thatcher) will be visible - ten to twenty 'small' meteors should be visible per hour !

for more detail see link below

Ref. http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=8154

Agreed! :ilikeit:

Me too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Many, many studies, hypotheses, prophecies, conspiracies, and whatever "-ies" you want to add, have been brought to the attention of the public at large over the years. What is good today will be bad tomorrow and vice versa.

Caffeine, the substance that prompted this thread, was considered to be "bad" for many years, yet, nobody has ever died from having a regular cuppa. And last year it was announced with a bit of a fanfare that coffee... yes, wait for it... is actually good for you! In fact, it contains a cartload of anti-oxidants and all sorts of other healthy goodies. But, as time goes by, this theory will be debunked again and something else will be exonerated of its "bad" status and be declared "good". And so on and so forth.

Thus, in the light of all this, it is extremely dangerous to look, touch, smell, taste, eat, drink and have sex with everything and anything. It is therefore best to sit yourself down on a piece of virgin soil and die.

For the more audacious type of person, there is the option of continuing with your present, daily activities and live to the age of 70-80 and then kick the bucket with a heavy thud, knowing that not a day in your life was wasted on worrying about all the "-ies" in life.

:lol: :lol: cat turds haaaa haaaa!!!..i havnt heard the word "turd" in ages ....

meooooow...nom nom nom....

...but hey..at least its better for me than coffee :ilikeit:

Edited by elleneo

Potatoes is also bad for dogs, do you feed your children potatoes ?

Many, many studies, hypotheses, prophecies, conspiracies, and whatever "-ies" you want to add, have been brought to the attention of the public at large over the years. What is good today will be bad tomorrow and vice versa.

Caffeine, the substance that prompted this thread, was considered to be "bad" for many years, yet, nobody has ever died from having a regular cuppa. And last year it was announced with a bit of a fanfare that coffee... yes, wait for it... is actually good for you! In fact, it contains a cartload of anti-oxidants and all sorts of other healthy goodies. But, as time goes by, this theory will be debunked again and something else will be exonerated of its "bad" status and be declared "good". And so on and so forth.

Thus, in the light of all this, it is extremely dangerous to look, touch, smell, taste, eat, drink and have sex with everything and anything. It is therefore best to sit yourself down on a piece of virgin soil and die.

For the more audacious type of person, there is the option of continuing with your present, daily activities and live to the age of 70-80 and then kick the bucket with a heavy thud, knowing that not a day in your life was wasted on worrying about all the "-ies" in life.

Janneman for president hahaha

My kids are reacting to the MSG in milo not the caffiene. Glutamic Acid 2611 MG per 100g. Nasy stuff that!

It's a fair assumption, but keep in mind that this is the analysis of the Milo base, the powder. When diluted with milk/water, you are looking at about 250mg per 100g.

For comparison purposes, the foods below also contain glutamic acid in the following concentrations (mg/100g):

Marmite 1960

Vegemite 1431

Roquefort cheese 1280

Parmesan cheese 1200

Grape juice 258

Peas 200

Tomatoes 140

Corn 130

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavor)

So, if glutamic acid is the culprit, your kids should have about the same reaction from drinking Milo as from drinking grape juice. It would be a nice test to perform.

Just as a small side-note, MSG is not really glutamic acid, it's the sodium salt thereof. There is a difference between the two concepts. For example, chlorine (nasty, poisonous gas) also has a mono-sodium salt, and that's the common, essential, useful table salt.