IMPORTANT TO ME

JennyG

Well JennyR, that's up to you. NO ONE will be able to answer you...... Life is what YOU make of it... If you are not prepared to take a few knocks (and not just you, any one) then DON'T do it. If you are prepared to take the risk, then go for it. It's as simple as that - no one is forcing you to do anything? I can give you lists of positive things and negative things about Cape Town that you might not know about either. And of the whole of South Africa and then also of Australia. My list will have things on the negative side that might be on someone else's positive side. Like - I HATE the wind and Andi once told me that she loves it! Each person's perception of things is different. Each person handles things differently. I'm not entirely sure if this was good research for you, because what worked or didn't work for someone else (even lots of other people) might not be the same for you.....You can't base a HUGE decision like this on other people's experiences - not even just a part of your decision. Just know that there is good and bad everywhere. Stand by your bottom line reasons why you want to go and you should just know inside that you are doing the right thing. If you are unsure but still want to make the move because "just maybe" it's the right thing- have a plan B in place.

Also, I bet you if you ask the same question to these people that are unhappy or had bad experiences etc in 10 years time or even 5 years 90% of them will be happy that they made the move and is not in this country anymore - especially with Julius Malema being the president in 15 - 25 years time..... Who knows?.... :blush:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JennyG

• Good Witch

• Karen-in-Brisbane

• Mara

This post is a great example of what works for one doesn't work for another. Or another man's meat is another man's poison. Some people hate the post, others love it. Who's right or wrong? No-one, it's all our own viewpoints, and experience, and value systems. What works for one person, does not work for another. Certainly makes for enjoyable reading! I went "ouch" a few times with some of the comments made here. But just goes to show we are all individuals - what I wouldn't say, others would, what I wouldn't think, others might.

JennyR, I hope you get the answers you want, and by that I mean that you are better able to make a decision that will suit you. It is not easy! I went over for an LSD thinking I would absolutely love this place, and not that place, and came back with a different picture totally. Sometimes it's the fact that you have a downpour on your only day to the beach, and it just seems like such a horrible outing; on another day you visit a city and have such great chats to the locals that you forget the lack of grass and think, wow, such a welcoming neighbourhood.

Good luck!

We are all unique and are all human - thanks everyone who makes this forum such a great and different place! :ilikeit::blush:

LOVE " the lack of grass"!!! That was my thoughst exactly!!! At least the parks seem to have grass and backyards not so much! ha ha! :lol:

Yeah billabong, I'll guess I have to do that LSD trip and experience things myself! Still, I can't see myself moving over within the next year. But only time will tell hey.

I do not regret posting this thread and there is a lot of information that came out it that is very very valuable to me. So many true things been said. I am not gonna mention all the names cause I already thanked them personally! I also made some nice friends - you guys are the :lol:

Cheers for now!

:D

To answer your question Jenny... Life is about taken chances. Nothing is ever 100% sure. I have taken many chances and I don't regret any, even the the ones that weren't so good. Without it my life would have been poorer.

just a few more FACTS !!!

Excuse me ---- Candi, Veiled 'threats' are not nessasary either (pot-kettle-black) - but more importantly - please DONT tell us what our 'jobs' are - people contribute freely of their own will .......... !!!!! and again DONT imply that we dont answer HONESTLY !!! what the heck is with you guys ??? to actually insult the people you expect to help you - sjoe !

Jenney et. al. - you seem to forget that you are asking, and it is you that are relying on the good kind people here, who have the experience, to take their time to answer and help you. You seem to have forgotten this fact, as by your attitude and Candi's telling us what or 'jobs' are above, and on top of that you both imply that we are a bunch of liars - - sjoe .... I can't actually believe you guys can be so arrogant !!!

Antoniette - I FULLY AGREE with you - maybe stay in SA if you can try to justify dishonesty as a 'strategy' or try to justify it (like zuma) by any other name - and don't bring that attitude to OZ !!!!

It wasnt what Antoniette said it was the way she said it, if she had been constructive I wouldnt have taken offense at her at all, and as you can see form most of my posts I dont ever get involved in the politics on the forum, I just feel you should always try be helpful. Being sarcastic never helps anyone.

just a few more FACTS !!!

Excuse me ---- Candi, Veiled 'threats' are not nessasary either (pot-kettle-black) - but more importantly - please DONT tell us what our 'jobs' are - people contribute freely of their own will .......... !!!!! and again DONT imply that we dont answer HONESTLY !!! what the heck is with you guys ??? to actually insult the people you expect to help you - sjoe !

Jenney et. al. - you seem to forget that you are asking, and it is you that are relying on the good kind people here, who have the experience, to take their time to answer and help you. You seem to have forgotten this fact, as by your attitude and Candi's telling us what or 'jobs' are above, and on top of that you both imply that we are a bunch of liars - - sjoe .... I can't actually believe you guys can be so arrogant !!!

Antoniette - I FULLY AGREE with you - maybe stay in SA if you can try to justify dishonesty as a 'strategy' or try to justify it (like zuma) by any other name - and don't bring that attitude to OZ !!!!

Patrice

I think what Candi meant by "helpful posts" is that people should not post all these nasty stuff, thats not helpful, whether you liked the question or not. I happen to agree with Candi, and I think you and Antonette are blowing the issue out of the water. Why spend so much energy writing nasty stuff? why not say something positive, or better yet, if you dont like the thread, read something else.

I agree with Omzig, I think jennyr needs to get some professional help to sort out her inner conflict. I think this topic is just getting to the point of ridiculous.

Either you want to migrate ot you dont period. My experience or anyone elses , wheather good or bad are not going help you make up your mind.

If you have doubts dont move.

I agree with Omzig, I think jennyr needs to get some professional help to sort out her inner conflict. I think this topic is just getting to the point of ridiculous.

Either you want to migrate ot you dont period. My experience or anyone elses , wheather good or bad are not going help you make up your mind.

If you have doubts dont move.

Edited to remove my comment. I have said everything I can possibly say on this thread already... Moving along swiftly! :)

Edited by Andi and Gunther

Yeah billabong, I'll guess I have to do that LSD trip and experience things myself! Still, I can't see myself moving over within the next year. But only time will tell hey.

:)

Somehow I doubt a LSD trip really gives you that experience. You can go anywhere on holiday and have a wonderful time.

It is normal to wonder if you are doing the right thing, moving to the other side of the world is an enormous undertaking, but if you don't feel it is right for you, make a decision and move on with your life. As others have already said, each person can only decide what is "right" for them.

No past regrets, no future fears...

The only thing I want is for people to be honest about their Oz experience. We is SA don't have eyes to see what is going on in Oz. Therefore we rely on you guys A LOT!

I'm not trying to shoot Oz down or anyone for that matter. I think this thread will just help others and myself. Thanks to all you who always contributes! We appreciate it a lot!!

Hi,

I thought this thread was started to find out how others experienced Oz, based on some of the quotes above, which indirectly would of course help people make a decision on whether to migrate or not.

There's so much that those of us sitting here in RSA don't know, and would like to. Many people can't afford an LSD, and as Eva so correctly said, an LSD won't give you all that insight either. But yes, it is difficult to quantify an experience in words, as it is so personal an experience for each of us. But this thread has helped me, and I hope others too, to obtain lots of insights.

Jenny, a few more things that struck me on my LSD, which was way too short: it's going to take a long time to find out about the culture in Oz and the workplace environment, in the same way that when you start a new job everything seems fine, then you find out about all the politics - it is a totally different culture and experience, and I am sure even the jokes are very different; value seems to be placed on human life in Oz, thinking about all the pedestrian walkways; a big priority is placed on safety, e.g. all plug points are designed better, so little fingers can't stick their hands in; road safety is important, thinking of all the clear signage, and even signs for "refuge islands", which I think is where people cross roads, and even kangaroo warnings; Oz seems to expect you will play your part and be law abiding, thinking of the fruit quarantine bins when you move in and out of a fruit fly zone (there we were on the side of the road munching all our newly bought fruit, before dumping it). Healthcare is different, as I experienced when having to wait for an appointment, but my child got seen quickly, perhaps because I was a cash client - not fun to be sick whilst on holiday, and even worse to have to travel with a sick child because your trip is booked and your entry by date is fixed! Lots of goods, not so many bads. :)

Hi! Thanks Eva and Nazba!

Yeah Nazba! You certainly mention a few things that I did'nt know. Little things about Oz that will never ever happen in SA.

Deep deep in my heart I know whats the right thing to do. I was so motivated but somewhere somehow I started to feel this overwhelming fear. You know................ I think I'm gonna stop the bus here!!! Some people will analyze my words and make some snotty remarks about something again - not in the mood!

You know what is very interesting for me, and this goes to all the people who contributed making unasked remarks. I can almost guarantee you, if I go back into some of their posts, I'm 100% sure I will also find some 'panic attacks', feeling down, emotionally burned out stuff etc etc etc. But you know, I have better things to keep myself busy with, so I am not gonna start a catfight!

It made me think about a real life story. A girl I knew in school. She was a real bully. She was beautiful, the boys adored her. But she always had something sarcastic to say to other people, always spreading ugly bad stuff about them. 20 years later who is picking the fruit of her bad behavior's? Her little boy? The poor boy got so bullied and teased at school that she had to move him to another school. So what am I trying to say? Be careful what you say and how you treat others - things have a way to come back at you when least expected!

Sorry, I just felt that I have to say this.

Once again, thanks for those who positively contributed toward this post. It helped me a lot and I know now what I should do!

Have a blessed day!

:blink:

Edited few spelling mistakes

Edited by JennyR

Deep deep in my heart I know whats the right thing to do. I was so motivated but somewhere somehow I started to feel this overwhelming fear.

Once again, thanks for those who positively contributed toward this post. It helped me a lot and I know now what I should do!

Hi JennyR,

I, for one, am pleased that you finally gained something positive from this thread. Knowledge is power...

Everything of the best with your journey ahead.

Jenny, I'm going to put my head in the beehive as well, fortunately you took most of the stings already so most of the dangerous bees are ignoring this thread now.....

We've not been victims of crime (yet) and we live in a really peaceful, boring little town. For 8 months you can not imagine an uglier place: burnt wheatfields, draught, dust, flies and mossies (a month ago they wanted to re-assign 5 police officers to Cape Town, because not even the criminals wants to come here...).

But then God remembers us in winter - the most beautiful green wheat and yellow canola fields, white snow on the mountains and lambs everywhere. It's so easy to forget all the bad stuff in the cities and think we live in paradise. If I remember correctly the last strike in our town was Checkin's 20 workers who striked for better pay.....3 years ago...

Anyways, our lives are almost perfect.... Then why do we want to leave?????

It's not going to stay that way! I know I can't keep my children in my safetybubble for the rest of their lives. Yes, it's not always the answer to run away, but reality is, that things are going to get worse. At this moment my husband is really doubting whether we should go, so we decided to buy some more time. Go the 175 route, stay here a little longer and see how fast the wheel of deterioration turns in South Africa. When (if) we get the visa, we'll validate it and have 5 more years to make the final decision.

Things are tight everywhere in the world now and your doubt is soooo normal, but my opinion is that you should rather get the visa for when you really need it, than want it in 2 - 4 years time and not being able to get it...

You are not alone....

jenny,

i think we all have that fear in us at sometime, or we wouldnt be human beings, it just depends on how you deal with it..I asked the exact same questions as you about six months ago, and no one even posted a reply....so why they all getting excited now??? i have been laughing the whole way through reading this....

ahh...human nature!!!!

ps...i am one of those who dont want to ever put my foot back in south africa, even for a holiday...and my partner is counting the days till he can..thats the nature of the beast!

Hi Andi, I'm sure everything will work out for me and others still here in SA thanks!

Hi Miran, I understand where you coming from! Thanks for your support!

Lyall, glad that you are happy in Oz! See you are settled in Tasmania. I've heard some nice things about Taz. I used to confused it with Tanzania and when I told to people I want to go there one day, I got funny looks :hug: No wonder! Thanks for your input as well!

:hug:

I have followed this thread for a while but have not commented. Jenny as a South African still in SA and carrying sudden fear and concern about going in the current economic climate, i hear your concerns and i found some of the info on the thread useful.

But, i think that while people are really honest, the reality is that people in Oz have made the decision to go and they have to make it work for them. So even, if there are struggles for them in Oz, they need to see it positively, as that is the only way they can survive this huge upheaval. So be sensitive about that. Ten years ago i moved from little east london to JHB. For the first year i was miserable but could not allow myself to verbalise that to friends and family back home. I had to make it work and did. Ten years later, this is home to me.

The decision is scary and yours alone. There is no crystal ball. It is hard but no-one can make this decision for you.

Al

Hi JennyR

When we started the whole process of applying for Permanent Residence several years ago, we were not 100% sure it was the right thing for us. We were doing it as a type of "insurance policy" - an escape route for if-or-when things got too bad in South Africa. Even our LSD trip did not fully convince us - and we spent 5 weeks here visiting only two cities. Much to our own surprise and disappointment we did not "fall in love" with Australia. In the end we just decided to "go for it" - making a decision of the head rather than the heart. And since we have been here we are loving it, and each day we are more and more convinced that we've done the right thing.

If you qualify for PR and have the means, I would get it while you can. The day might come when you cannot get it, and are stuck in South Africa.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Scott