IMPORTANT TO ME

JennyG

Please be patient and entertain our questions cos we really do need your support!!

Red - As always you are a mountain of strength!!! I wish I was headed to Adelaide!!!

K

Ditto!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JennyG

• Good Witch

• Karen-in-Brisbane

• Mara

Come on guys - play fair. These guys are not on this side of the water yet. Before we came, other people answered my questions, which I'm sure they found tedious. But: no matter how many times I asked, I always got answered in a helpful manner. It's definitely NOT tedious to the person posting the question.

Also - answers you can 'search' on the forum regarding the move may not be relevant now. Things changed last Oct when the economy crashed and with that, experiences will change.

Completely relevant question, I think.

In short, JennyR, it's not an easy time for migrating.

Jobs are hard to come by, they might not be the jobs you are looking for. It's not as easy as is was 24 months ago. But it IS a great place to live.

Unfortunately living in this great place comes at an emotional price. It's hard being far from family, especially when things aren't going well with them. THe emotional is by far the hardest part of doing it.

If you want more detail, PM me, I'd gladly answer your questions.

L

Legalbuff, what a nice post!! :rolleyes: Thank you! I'm sorry if I irretate anyone with my continues asking of questions, but as you say Legalbuff, things change!

Thanks for the honesty! You see, the fact that you are warning me that things are a bit tight at the moment job wise is something to consider! This is so much appreciated!

And your statement re: 'living in this great place comes at an emotional price' could'nt be more true!

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing your view with me/us! I'll definately PM you if I've got anymore questions!

Keep well!

:ilikeit

couldn'tdefinitely

Well said Andi!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: We feel exactaly the same!!

Another happy family! I'm glad!

JennyR

We all would like that answer based on the current conditions. We will (hopefully) immigrate in the next few monts. But, the thing that bothers me the most, is the jobs. Will we get something, anything. And based on that fear, it is good to hear from people how it is in Aus, NOW.

Old reply's to this question is not relevant anymore. Maybe someone was blissfully happy a year ago, but now, is it still the same story?

All this will not change our minds to immigrate, we are going!!!!!! But, it will help us prepare better.

So, if your oppinion is still the same about Aus, and you do not want to answer again, that is OK, but if you do, THANK YOU.

Ditto!

Hi

Have to agree with LB, the emotional side is the hardest part. Life in Australia is peaceful in that you don't have to constantly be on your guard, you can relax, enjoy life, your money at the end of the month isn't going to large insurance payments on your car, the monitoring of your house alarm etc, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it comes at a price, it isn't what I thought it would be, I wasn't expecting this lack of manners/respect/drinking in the youth and I bought over a daughter of 16, who left behind really nice friends who were well mannered, respectful etc. It isn't only the youth that have a drinking problem, the so called Sports stars are always in the news, for excessive drinking and everything else that goes with it. Where are the role models? Drinking is a large part of their culture, and that came from an Ozzie.

I am talking about the area I live in, which is central qld.

We have been here almost 20 months, we still ride the rollercoaster of emotions, it has its good times and its bad, hopefully the good times outweigh the bad, I think they do, but I still really don't feel I fit in yet, hopefully that will come. At this moment in time I am just looking at citizenship then I will take it from there, whether I want to stay in Oz or not.

My kids will decide what they want to do, they are 21 and 17. My daughter (17) has already told me she doesn't see herself staying in Australia.........so what can you do. I hope she wont return to SA but that is her choice to make.

We don't have a better standard of living here, we have a bond again, food is expensive, things like toiletries, cleaning products etc, eating out is a luxury, so I would say your standard of living in general is better in SA. This is just my opinion.

But at the end of the day, would I do it again, yes I would, we decided we needed to see what Australia is all about, otherwise we would always have said "what if", so now we are here, we have given up too much to go back, so we are really in the position of having to make it work. I also don't want to live in a Crime infested Country, so going back is not an option.

Sorry if this sounds all doom and gloom, it isn't. We have made lovely saffer friends here, I am friendly at work with the ozzies, get along well with them all, wave to the neighbours but that is as far as it goes. No socializing.

Well you asked for opinions, so there is mine.

Jill

z

Thank you very very very much Jill!! I appreciate your honesty! This is exactly what I want to hear! Again you mention things that I did not know or haven't think off. Please you guys, I am not trying to shoot Oz down, I'm just doing a reality check for myself. At the beginning of my immigration journey, I thought Oz was the place of milk and honey, but I soon realize that there is no such place!

Thank you once again!!

:rolleyes:

My husband and I have found our experience in Australia LIBERATING - you can just read some of the former posts of ours on why we decided to move and what our concerns are and honestly, these issues are not things that we have to deal with in Australia. I have found the people to be friendly and have a good support network of South African and Australian friends.

Although times are tough and the economy is in turmoil, we found that we have left a lot of the material "things you HAVE to do to keep up with the Joneses" back in South Africa and thus actually can get by on less here. Our life is simpler and that is the way we wanted it.

I think your attitude needs to be right before you make this move and you do need to realise you are going to take a step back. It is hard and you do miss your family and sometimes if you go looking for negativity, it will find you and bite you in the butt! To go constantly seeking negative feedback may not be a good thing to do but besides that, there are so many postings even since October last year (when the economy went pear-shaped) expressing the challenges that people are having to deal with. It would be unrealistic to think that things here are perfect but for us, they are so much better.

My husband and I are so happy to have had an opportunity to make this move and I have been to two job interviews in the current economic climate that both look promising, so from our side (and no need for me to PM because I am happy to say it out loud), WE LOVE AUSTRALIA!

Cheers,

Liesl

Thanks Liesl! It is always nice to hear happy stories! I'm glad you found happiness in Oz, and yes! Quite a few things you say that is so true! Especially about being negative. So thanks for your honest response!

Its all about doing your reasearch, making up your mind and pack the bags!

Thats the reason for this thread - my research!

Unfortunately all my questions was not answered in previous threads and circumstances tend to change over time!

You make it sound so easy! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response!

I agree with all the posts above. I almost don't want to write about my experience, because it is exactly that: MY experience, which is framed by MY unique backbround and circumstances.

For me the question is: do you feel you want/have to leave South Africa? If so, where will you find a country that doesn't have problems? No where. It is rather a question of: in which country can I adapt the best and make it work? You are guaranteed not to like some of what you see in Australia. But if you open your heart and mind, you will LOVE what you find.

I have somedays been so fed up, but I must tell you, that the positive far more outway the negative. I believe for our family it is so, because we decided we will stay and we will adapt, even if it takes longer than we anticipated. Having said that, I don't for one minute critisize those who feel it's time to go back. We've made huge decisions in other areas of our lives and realised afterwards that it just wasn't the right decision. No shame in admitting that.

You will not know how it is going to be for you until you are here. I can almost guarantee that you will have the same struggles in Canada, New Zealand or USA. Every place will be strange, wonderful, exciting, irritating, touched by the global economy, all rolled into one. It's what you make of it in the end.

Thanks ta'mossie!

Thing is, you start the immigration process, everyone tells you of how wonderful things are and then as you wait your wait and you cool off, you realize that Oz isn't the fairytale land you expect to be. And yes, so is NZ, USA, Canada etc.

Problems are everywhere! I think I should have refrain my thread topic and rather asked: Will you do what you have done if you knew what you know now. Thanks for you input!

:)

Hi Jenny

We have been here about 5 months.

My company transferred me to work in our Perth office, but obviously after discussing it with the family, I agreed to the transfer.

These last few months have been very difficult to say the least (more than expected), and I guess we had it ‘easy’ being transferred (same company / good job) and having the company pay all the costs and facilitate the visa, relocation, temp vehicle and accommodation etc..etc..etc.

I can only guess it must be ‘hell’ if you do it on your own.

There are many very good things about Oz, and yes, a few not-so-good things – but simply put - compared to SA I would choose to stay here, even with a ‘reduced’ life-style, high cost of living and having to ask lots of 'stupid' questions to learn the lay-of-the-land.

If you are looking for reasons to stay – you will find them, however, you will find both ‘reasons’ to come over, and some ‘reasons’ to stay. At the end of the day – you and your family need to decide based on your circumstances, needs, etc...(as migrating is a 'life changing decision for your entire family).

If you do move, you need to research and pre-plan well, set up communications with your family etc..etc.., even if it means setting them up on skype (or equiv.) and teaching them how to use it (as we did). Etc…etc…etc… >

This site is FULL of great advice (and people) to help you prepare for the move ! (if you so choose) - I don't think any one will try to 'convince' or 'deter' you - just plain honest advice based on each persons different situation.

gOOd LucK with your decision

ïŠ

Thank you Patrice, sounds that you are happy so far! I'm glad for you!

-have an open mind and prepare for a tough road ;especially the first 2 years.

Very very good advice! Thank you!

I wanted you to share the stories you have with us

In short, I'm not going to go in detail into every PM I received cause that will take ages! It was just interesting for me that people coming forward and admitting they are not happy in Oz. And this is not hear say! I think a lot of people are scared to voice their true opinions! Anyway, there is stories of marriages breaking up because one of the partners doesn't cope. People having tremendous problems with teenagers. People see that their children is changing for the bad. Some of the schools is not up to standard and some say it is even worse than schools in SA. Some also has a problem with the health system. Struggling to find jobs. Being treated unfairly at work because you are an immigrant. There is also some people that say they wish SA will collapse so that it can justify their move. Some people who was financially strong in SA and lost everything in Oz due to bad business deals. People being affected by crime in Oz. Now I must stop because I'm going to get slammed for this!!

Please people, I'm not sucking this out of my thumb. This is stories from people that PM me. And now you would say that if Oz is so bad why do you want to move over? Because, bad and evil is everywhere. Oz is definitely far better than SA re crime, corruption, safety etc etc. Once again, I want to hear the bad so that I can prepare myself! Thats all!

If you want to hear more than you can PM me. Don't want to give the idea that I'm starting a anti-Oz thing here! :)

Edited by JennyR

Quite a few people ADMITTING they are not happy in Oz. Also telling me things about Oz that no one tells you.

I would love to hear the stories about Oz that no one tells you. Please!!!??? And if anyone don’t want to post it in a open forum, please pm me. It will be highly appreciated.

I'm really not trying to scare people of or to try and make them negative, but just as Cinderella we want to go into Oz with EYES WIDE OPEN!

Once again thank you guys for all your replies and thanks for all the PM's I received! My intention was not to piss anyone off! In Afrikaans we have a saying: DIE SKILLE VAL VAN JOU OE AF. And I don't want this to happen when I am in Oz! I want to go PREPARED! I do not want to ride on the immigration thrill if you know what I mean. And once in Oz I do not want to move back! Once I am there I want to stay!

Now it is back to work again! Last few productive hours on a Friday afternoon! :blink: If I receive any further responses, I'll reply to them in due time! Now I must get my but of this chair and go and earn myself some money! My eyes feels like squares :o Thank heavens I don't work for a boss otherwise he would have shot me! Hie hie!

Have a blessed South African and Australian day/night!

:)

JennyR, I would imagine the BIG question is, are you ready for this roller coaster ride?

With regard to your statement that you do not want your eyes to only open once you are in Aus....well, all I can say is, everyone's journey will be different, that is an absolute given. Regardless of how much research you do, and how much information you have at your fingertips, something may still go wrong for you, once you are here. On the other hand, it could be the best decision you ever made and everything could work out for you! The big problem is, none of us have a crystal ball to know what the future holds. That is why I started this post, by asking if you are ready?

You must want to be here, more than you wish to be there

You must decide where it is that you want to grow old

You must decide if staying within your comfort zone and a high crime rate in SA

could be changed for being out of your comfort zone and a low crime rate in Aus

You must decide if there is a future for your children in SA...or would their future be better in Aus

You must be so sure of your decision that even if someone offered you a million rand to stay in SA, you said 'no, I am going to Aus' then my dear, and only then....you are ready to leave!

Unfortunately for all of us, life does not come with guarantees. The same way some of you have been affected by the crime in SA, some of you have not. The same way some of you still live a great and happy life in SA, some do not. The same can be said for the journey that you all face when you arrive in Australia. You are going to have to accept that no one elses journey is going to make your journey good or bad. It is the attitude and the 'can do' decision that sets you on the road and sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time.

I admire you for wanting to know it all...that is far better than burying your head in the sand....all I can add is "Would I do it again, at the age of 44, with the great financial situation we had in SA before we left? Absolutely, in a heartbeat, but then perhaps we were just fortunate, that everything came together for us. Will we ever be able to reach the financial situation we were in when we left SA? No, probably not, but to be very honest, I have never had any sleepless nights about that...as I can sleep without bars on my windows, jumping at any noise I hear at night, going for a walk down the road on my own, watching the neighbour's kids play in the street, and once again, feeling free, to do as I please and not spending every moment of every day, for the rest of my life, worrying about our safety!

JennyR, I would imagine the BIG question is, are you ready for this roller coaster ride?

With regard to your statement that you do not want your eyes to only open once you are in Aus....well, all I can say is, everyone's journey will be different, that is an absolute given. Regardless of how much research you do, and how much information you have at your fingertips, something may still go wrong for you, once you are here. On the other hand, it could be the best decision you ever made and everything could work out for you! The big problem is, none of us have a crystal ball to know what the future holds. That is why I started this post, by asking if you are ready?

You must want to be here, more than you wish to be there

You must decide where it is that you want to grow old

You must decide if staying within your comfort zone and a high crime rate in SA

could be changed for being out of your comfort zone and a low crime rate in Aus

You must decide if there is a future for your children in SA...or would their future be better in Aus

You must be so sure of your decision that even if someone offered you a million rand to stay in SA, you said 'no, I am going to Aus' then my dear, and only then....you are ready to leave!

Unfortunately for all of us, life does not come with guarantees. The same way some of you have been affected by the crime in SA, some of you have not. The same way some of you still live a great and happy life in SA, some do not. The same can be said for the journey that you all face when you arrive in Australia. You are going to have to accept that no one elses journey is going to make your journey good or bad. It is the attitude and the 'can do' decision that sets you on the road and sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time.

I admire you for wanting to know it all...that is far better than burying your head in the sand....all I can add is "Would I do it again, at the age of 44, with the great financial situation we had in SA before we left? Absolutely, in a heartbeat, but then perhaps we were just fortunate, that everything came together for us. Will we ever be able to reach the financial situation we were in when we left SA? No, probably not, but to be very honest, I have never had any sleepless nights about that...as I can sleep without bars on my windows, jumping at any noise I hear at night, going for a walk down the road on my own, watching the neighbour's kids play in the street, and once again, feeling free, to do as I please and not spending every moment of every day, for the rest of my life, worrying about our safety!

My dearest Mara! You always exactly know what to say to make me feel better! What amazes me about you is that although you are thousands and thousands kilometers away from me, you always have a way to touch my heart!

I send you a PM. Hope you don't mind. There's been one or two things thats been really bothering me and I know I'll get a good perspective from you!

Thanks!

In short, I'm not going to go in detail into every PM I received cause that will take ages! It was just interesting for me that people coming forward and admitting they are not happy in Oz. And this is not hear say! I think a lot of people are scared to voice their true opinions! Anyway, there is stories of marriages breaking up because one of the partners doesn't cope. People having tremendous problems with teenagers. People see that their children is changing for the bad. Some of the schools is not up to standard and some say it is even worse than schools in SA. Some also has a problem with the health system. Struggling to find jobs. Being treated unfairly at work because you are an immigrant. There is also some people that say they wish SA will collapse so that it can justify their move. Some people who was financially strong in SA and lost everything in Oz due to bad business deals. People being affected by crime in Oz. Now I must stop because I'm going to get slammed for this!!

Please people, I'm not sucking this out of my thumb. This is stories from people that PM me. And now you would say that if Oz is so bad why do you want to move over? Because, bad and evil is everywhere. Oz is definitely far better than SA re crime, corruption, safety etc etc. Once again, I want to hear the bad so that I can prepare myself! Thats all!

If you want to hear more than you can PM me. Don't want to give the idea that I'm starting a anti-Oz thing here! :rolleyes:

Dear JennyR

I have read you posts and your questions, my response to your is, that no matter how much "research" you do and this type of research is always based on someone else experience and circumstance, you can never be prepared enough. Some how, I get the impression that you want immigration to come with guarentees that there are not going to be hitches and pitsfalls, ups and down.No one can give you that guarentee. Well I hate to be the one to tell you that everybodies migration experience is very different to another persons. You cannot expect to make a success of immigration unless you give it 110% committment.

Minigration is one of the hardest things that you will ever have to do in your life and my advice to you is if you and your life partner are not on the same page, or if either of you has any doubts and you are not 100% convinced that this is the right decision for you and your family ...............you know what ...do migrate.Its as simple as that.

If you think that you can transpose you life you have in SA and have the exact same life here ...think again.It takes time to get the perfect job, the perfect house , the right school the right friend ...you are in a new country . And if you are being made to feel like an immigrant, its because you are one. In South Africa you are made to feel like you are an immigrant by the wonderful people of the new South Africa.

You need to weigh up why you even thought of migrating in the first place.............answer that question and go back to the beginning .

Just remember, that migration is not for every one and there are going to be people that want to go back to SA, or have to go back because their visas are cancelled. For the other 150 000 or more SA migrants, we are very happy to be here.............but it did not come easy. We all served our 2 year apprenticeship

and got over the hurdles in our way and made a success of our lives.

Good luck with your decision

I have replied before, to some of your previous posts I think. I really am happy here. Kids are happy. Only problems we have are left-overs from SA.... Kids still dealing with that trauma. Honestly, you don't sound very ready for the move. You seem extremely unsure.

My husband is really happy in his job. In a few months he has already got a lot of respect from his colleagues and the clients. The boss even baby-sat while we wrote our IETLS.

The kids are very happy with the school and so are we. They go to a lot of effort with the kids. What the kids need, they get. We have no complaints.

My neighbours are wonderful. Any problem I have they are prepared to help. They often check that we are still ok.

We have found a great church with wonderfully supportive people.

The community we live in is fantastic. People here look out for us.

My one gripe is people parking on the side of the road, not in their driveways :rolleyes: I think this is something I can live with :ilikeit:

If you look for the bad in a place, you will always find it. If you were in limbo with nothing and you had to choose between going to SA and Australia, what would be your choice? 9 months and I am still enchanted with Australia. Yes, I know some aren't happy, but I think Melbourne is awesome. I have decided it will be, and so it has been.

Honestly, you don't sound very ready for the move. You seem extremely unsure.

...9 months and I am still enchanted with Australia. Yes, I know some aren't happy, but I think Melbourne is awesome. I have decided it will be, and so it has been.

Polly, you hit the nail squarely on the head, on both counts above:

Jenny, I also do not believe that you are even close to being ready to migrate to Aus. Both Mara and Enrica have given you great advice on that point, and perhaps - for your own sake - you should reconsider. Just my observation and opinion.

Polly, your second point above is the key (I believe) and Jenny, when YOU can reach that point, when you can turn down a million Rands to move to Aus, when you are willing to RISK EVERYTHING as I said before, then and only then will you be close to ready... you must want it so bad that it is your first thought in the morning and your last thought at night. Also, as Mara mentioned, if you and your hubby are not on the same page with regards migration - forget it. You'll be miserable.

My honest advice, stay where you are...

Best wishes

Andi

I'm really not trying to scare people of or to try and make them negative, but just as Cinderella we want to go into Oz with EYES WIDE OPEN!

Hi JennyR

You are about to make a life changing decision and you are correct to be very scared. You have no idea what you are letting yourself in for. There are two factors you have to consider. The first is the push factor and the second is the pull factor. If the push factor is not strong enough you will regret immigrating to Aus because when times get tough (and they will) you will need this push factor to fall back on in your mind and to reassure yourself that you have done the right thing. It’s good if there is a strong pull factor also. Like being offered your dream job or having a company sponsor your move. You know, some wonderful opportunity that you just can’t say no to.

A little bit about my situation. This year was my 20th anniversary of being in Aus. I came out with my husband in 1989. We took up citizenship as soon as we could. We also kept our SA citizenship and this has been a good decision for us as we go back to visit quite often. I have never given up my SA roots and never will. It is who I am. My family are all there and they don’t have any intention of leaving and I have never put pressure on them to make the move either.

My only child was born here 14 years ago. I didn't have any more because I couldn't afford the child care. I am petrified that he is going to turn into one of the unruly yobs that I see each and every day. But I don’t think he will because I am throwing every single resource I can think of his way. Like a good education, teaching moral values, manners, monitoring his circle of friends etc. It’s hard work. Especially when you are doing it yourselves as parents and don’t have the family network to support you.

The ‘novelty’ factor of life in Aus has well and truly worn off and I find myself finding fault with the place (exactly as the born and bred Aussies do). Like my taxes being wasted on stupid things and the calibre of politicians we have to vote for. Or all the red tape you have to go through to get anything done. Or the increasing crime and violence.

Just to give you an example this is my life in a nutshell at the moment: I am working full time so that we can afford to send my son to a very posh and extremely expensive private school. My husband is self employed and works long hours and travels a lot. This has enabled us to buy a home (we came here with nothing), go on lovely overseas trips and being able to pay all our bills.

I spend my week-ends shopping, doing housework, phoning family, sorting out paperwork and feeling guilty about not doing a million other things that I have been putting off. I have a few nice hobbies that I very rarely get a chance to enjoy because here just isn’t enough time in the day. We have a beautiful beach nearby but I am too tired to go. It’s a schlep getting the sand out of the car afterwards, washing the towels, cleaning the dog, so I don’t bother. There are beautiful parks to enjoy. They have lots and lots of gumtrees. And I am getting pretty sick and tired of gumtrees. Last night I was ironing until 9.30pm. This morning I will add to the ironing pile again with more washing. We’ll go out to lunch as a family today at a nice cafe with perhaps a glass of wine each and a good coffee afterwards. This will set us back about $150.

Trivial things like if your neighbours are nice or not (you are not always going to have the same ones), or the fact that you can see kids in the street on their bicycles (these same cute kids will turn into teenagers in a few years time and try and explode your wheelie bin or your post box). What I am trying to get at is that things change constantly. You will grow and change as well. Depending on what stage of your life you are in, Aus is not going to satisfy your needs at each and every stage of your life. Bad things will happen to you here too. We have been burgled 4 times over the years, our car windows smashed and I was hit by a car while out cycling. There is risk and danger in each and every country.

Yes there are big gaps in the health system. 95% of government schools are not up to expectations. Some private schools are better but even in these so called good schools your child will be exposed to the ‘great unwashed’. The cost of living is high. The dentists are mostly hopeless. The doctors are inadequate. But on the plus side my son has wonderful opportunities for his future here (I just hope he appreciates it and does something with his life).

Yes we have done the right thing coming here. Yes I would do it again. But the sadness of not being able to drop in at my sister’s house for a cup of tea or sharing birthday parties and Christmas with my family has a huge impact. Depression is a very real risk. Good luck with your decision.

If possible, I would recommend doing an LSD trip, just to get a feel for things in general. Then one can come home again and let thoughts settle. I must admit after being home in South Africa for a week, I am a nervous wreck again worrying about crime, and on my holiday in Oz this was not much of a worry, except occasionally. Things are different in Oz, like the style of housing, and even the sky sometimes seemed very different - the way I feel when I get to Cape Town on holiday, ha, ha, but it's to be expected, but is it okay for You.

Oz is a different country, and totally different culturally, but I don't even know how different yet, as I haven't experienced much of real Australians. I just hope there are only a few Australians like some of the rude adults I experienced on my plane trip home, that whinged and gave dirty looks each time a child bumped their chairs (which I know would irritate anyone). And we did speak to quite a few Australians, when we filled up with petrol, who seemed very friendly and down to earth too - but put them on a plane perhaps, hmmm...

At the end of the day it comes down to what is important to you, something someone always wisely tells me are "Values". As an example, if crime and safety are concerns to you here, then rate these Values across the two countries, and Oz will come out tops on this score. But if you have lots of family here, and family is a number 1 Value for you, then you might be desperately unhappy in Oz. I'm still going to have to do this exercise myself, but it is actually quite a difficult thing to do - it helps one in trying to be a bit more objective. So list those Values, then rank them, and rate them.

I loved the analogy about the push / pull factor. I think this is a great way of looking at it!

And I wish there was a crystal ball. I recommend reading www.news.com.au daily, to keep up with some of the news happening in Oz, especially where you are planning to settle.

Good luck! :hug:

I have been reading this topic avidly! I tend to agree with Hansie, Red, Polly well the list goe's on!!! JennyR I am still in SA, I have 3 daughters under 10 and when I look at them the answer of what I need to do is plain as day!!!

Take a step back and look around you will new eye's B) Thing's are not getting better here!!

We will be leaving family as well, but what I will miss the most is the nature! The wildlife, the fact that my kids might not see an elephant in the wild again But when I weigh it up! Really!!

We are English speaking South Africans ( :lol::holy: Gonna open a can of worms) apparently we are not really african or worthy of being here according to our "future President"!!! So what is left for us in this country! I like many others before me and many to come will take my chances and VISA with open hands, and if I someday have enough money for a trip home so be it!!!!

My 2c!!! :hug:

Joanne

At the end of the day YOU are the only person who can make the decision as to whether you are going or not. You cannot rely on other people to make your mind up. If you have decided to go then go, no matter what anyone says, we are all so diverse and our opinions differ greatly. If you are basing your decision on what others say then I do not truly believe you are ready to make the move. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I agree with this 100% and it's been my advise to everyone who asked me for my opinion over the last almost 5 years. You'd be a fool not to do your research and talk to others who'd been there. That's why this forum is here after all, and it's good that you want to know everything about emigration (the good, the bad & the ugly).

What you can not do, is base your decision on what other people tell you. That's where the wheels usually come off... No one can guarantee you success, happiness and a good life. If you decide to stay or go, based on what you read on this forum, you're setting yourself up for a rude awakening.

Before you even start to think about life in Australia (the good, the bad & the ugly). You must sit down and think long and hard about your decision to leave South Africa. If you are not in your mind convinced that it is the right thing to do for you and your family, you are not ready. I know it sounds harsh, but that's the reality.

Once you've made that decision, stick to it and go for it (the good, the bad & the ugly). Don't worry about all the rest if you haven't yet come to a decision. It is much more important that you are realistic about your move and that you prepare yourself emotionally. You need to sit down as a family and discuss your fears and anticipation and decide how you will deal with it when it comes to any of that. Prepare yourself for a worst-case scenario and know that it IS going to be difficult and painful and emotionally draining and challenging at times. Decide on a "time-out" action plan when things DO go pear-shaped and you start to doubt your decision.

The biggest road accidents are made because of indecision. Either "go" or "stop". If your reason for leaving is serious enough, it does not matter where the road takes you.

Good luck! It's not easy, I know.

Dear JennyR

I have read you posts and your questions, my response to your is, that no matter how much "research" you do and this type of research is always based on someone else experience and circumstance, you can never be prepared enough. Some how, I get the impression that you want immigration to come with guarentees that there are not going to be hitches and pitsfalls, ups and down.No one can give you that guarentee. Well I hate to be the one to tell you that everybodies migration experience is very different to another persons. You cannot expect to make a success of immigration unless you give it 110% committment.

Minigration is one of the hardest things that you will ever have to do in your life and my advice to you is if you and your life partner are not on the same page, or if either of you has any doubts and you are not 100% convinced that this is the right decision for you and your family ...............you know what ...do migrate.Its as simple as that.

If you think that you can transpose you life you have in SA and have the exact same life here ...think again.It takes time to get the perfect job, the perfect house , the right school the right friend ...you are in a new country . And if you are being made to feel like an immigrant, its because you are one. In South Africa you are made to feel like you are an immigrant by the wonderful people of the new South Africa.

You need to weigh up why you even thought of migrating in the first place.............answer that question and go back to the beginning .

Just remember, that migration is not for every one and there are going to be people that want to go back to SA, or have to go back because their visas are cancelled. For the other 150 000 or more SA migrants, we are very happy to be here.............but it did not come easy. We all served our 2 year apprenticeship

and got over the hurdles in our way and made a success of our lives.

Good luck with your decision

Hi Enrica! Thanks for your response! No guarantees! Yeah, I guess you are right! And I do know people experience immigration in different ways.

Be 110% committed - true also! Yeah, I do get the feeling sometimes I'm not wanted in my own country!

I have replied before, to some of your previous posts I think. I really am happy here. Kids are happy. Only problems we have are left-overs from SA.... Kids still dealing with that trauma. Honestly, you don't sound very ready for the move. You seem extremely unsure.

My husband is really happy in his job. In a few months he has already got a lot of respect from his colleagues and the clients. The boss even baby-sat while we wrote our IETLS.

The kids are very happy with the school and so are we. They go to a lot of effort with the kids. What the kids need, they get. We have no complaints.

My neighbours are wonderful. Any problem I have they are prepared to help. They often check that we are still ok.

We have found a great church with wonderfully supportive people.

The community we live in is fantastic. People here look out for us.

My one gripe is people parking on the side of the road, not in their driveways :hug: I think this is something I can live with :lol:

If you look for the bad in a place, you will always find it. If you were in limbo with nothing and you had to choose between going to SA and Australia, what would be your choice? 9 months and I am still enchanted with Australia. Yes, I know some aren't happy, but I think Melbourne is awesome. I have decided it will be, and so it has been.

Thanks Polly!

You sound very happy and positive! Thanks for sharing your experience and view with me!

:holy:

Polly, you hit the nail squarely on the head, on both counts above:

Jenny, I also do not believe that you are even close to being ready to migrate to Aus. Both Mara and Enrica have given you great advice on that point, and perhaps - for your own sake - you should reconsider. Just my observation and opinion.

Polly, your second point above is the key (I believe) and Jenny, when YOU can reach that point, when you can turn down a million Rands to move to Aus, when you are willing to RISK EVERYTHING as I said before, then and only then will you be close to ready... you must want it so bad that it is your first thought in the morning and your last thought at night. Also, as Mara mentioned, if you and your hubby are not on the same page with regards migration - forget it. You'll be miserable.

My honest advice, stay where you are...

Best wishes

Andi

Thanks Andi! I'm gonna be honest with you! In you previous post you sound a bit irritated with me! But as I said, no worries! :hug: You must understand that it's ALWAYS been difficult to immigrate, but now the current economic climate it is even MORE difficult!

At the beginning of my application I was so thirsty for my new life in Oz, but as time passed it changed. Don't know if this is a normal feeling one goes through?

Anyway, thanks for being honest! I appreciate it!