IMPORTANT TO ME

JennyG

Hello forumates!

Now I've got your attention! :)

I recently placed two threads. One was me wanting to pull out of my PR application and the other was asking Saffers who moved back to SA to please come forward and share their experience with me. Well I had quite a few interesting posts and Pm's. Quite a few people ADMITTING they are not happy in Oz. Also telling me things about Oz that no one tells you. Due to their privacy please don't ask or expect me to mention any names because I WON'T!!

Now, I don't want to be thrown with sticks, I don't want to open a can of worms, I don't want to be crucified, I don't want to pick a fight. The only thing I want is for people to be honest about their Oz experience. We is SA don't have eyes to see what is going on in Oz. Therefore we rely on you guys A LOT!

I ask again, to please share your HONEST feelings and experience. Even if you have a close friend, family or talked to someone thats you think their experience is worth sharing, please do so. BAD OR GOOD. You don't have to mention ANY names. I mean, we are not here to lie to each other but to help each other! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! I beg you!

I'm not trying to shoot Oz down or anyone for that matter. I think this thread will just help others and myself. Thanks to all you who always contributes! We appreciate it a lot!!

P.S. I'll be out of the office most time to the day, so if I do not respond to Pm's or post directly, I'll come back in due time :rolleyes:

Have a blessed day!!

Edited by JennyR

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JennyG

• Good Witch

• Karen-in-Brisbane

• Mara

Can I say, please do share your thought about Oz because we all know Oz also has problems, and there should be a need for anybody to fight about it or anything!

I can honestly say, moving to Oz was the best thing we ever did. But I'm not suggesting there are no problems or that the move is a easy one. Far from it, We've been here almost 3 year now and in some ways we're still settling in, Also, I don't think anyone who is being honest would say Oz doesn't have it's share of problems. But you know, I'm very happy to help solve those. Also we did have family when we came (as I've said before) this does make a difference. Even so I have the same feelings of almost guilt about leaving family/friends in South Africa. But then I remind myself that, I must do what is best for my family. And as far as I'm concerned...there is no doubt. This is our home now.

Good luck everyone, give Oz a fair go, in most cases it seems to give us one (generally)

Hi Jenny

I am not realy sure what you are asking from people on the forum, I believe they are telling you what they honestly think of Oz.. At the end of the day YOU are the only person who can make the decision as to whether you are going or not. You cannot rely on other people to make your mind up. If you have decided to go then go, no matter what anyone says, we are all so diverse and our opinions differ greatly. If you are basing your decision on what others say then I do not truly believe you are ready to make the move. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Michelle

Yes, you got our attention, again... I feel a little disturbed that you are assuming that those of us who have said we are happy, are misleading you or perhaps not telling the truth? Sure some are unhappy here, and have the right to change their circumstances - perhaps even go back to RSA if that will make them happy, but you will simply HAVE to eventually believe that some of us ARE in fact over-the-moon, madly-in-love, happy & delighted with our new lives in Australia! Is everything perfect here? Hell no! But, whoever said it would be..? It's as good as it gets, and for many of us that's more than good enough...

I have read what many have said about loving Aus, and I totally relate to them and agree! It is everything that we had hoped for and so much more. Can you accept that some of us ARE actually truly, truly, TRULY happy in Aus, and nobody is trying to 'trick' you into moving to Aus only to find that we have all told lies about the place, and that it is worse than what we left behind in RSA? I too have read the responses on the forum and they seem very well balanced, people HAVE been honest about their experiences from what I can tell, the good and the bad. And why would they not be honest? Perhaps you should take our word for it now, or come to Aus to decide for yourself?

No offense intended really, and no fights are being picked here, but this same-old-same-old question is starting to become a little tedious. I get it! You are nervous! We were all nervous before the move, that's completely natural..! It's part of the process. Emigrating is a life-changing experience and these are seldom 'easy.'

To satisfy your quest for the 'truth' that you are after, perhaps you should join the homecoming revolution to find out from Saffers that have left Aus to return to RSA WHY they returned. This might give you another perspective on the issue? One that you probably can't get from Saffers in Aus who are incredibly happy and grateful to be here. Perhaps your thirst for something less-than-perfect about life in Aus will be quenched then?

Oh, and you have probably read this piece of advice (based on experience) on the forum before: Emigrate with your head not your heart. It is true, emigration can be very, very traumatic and difficult for almost anyone. But, if you are firm in your resolve, and if you know exactly WHY you are leaving, then you WILL make a success of it, regardless of what hardships you may face once you arrive. Are you doing this for the right reasons? Is it the PULL of Australia that attracts you? Or the PUSH from Africa that repels you? Are you willing to risk EVERYTHING if necessary to embrace this new life that you are so very, very fortunate to have? So many desperate people will never have the opportunities that you have...

Good luck in your search. And please forgive me if I come across as a little passionate about Australia and the opportunities that we are presented here. I hope that I have not offended you in any way.

Best wishes

Andi

Hey Jenny...

This is how GOOD research is done... hearing the good and the bad. Good for you :)

What I want to mention is that there is ALWAYS going to be two sides to a coin.

And remember BOTH are based on an individual's perspective... and bias.

If you want facts... for yourself... you need to experience Oz yourself... not always possible I understand.

I don't judge anyone wanting to go back, or even disliking Oz... but we all experience things in such different ways.

I was given up for adoption at birth, lived in a hospital for the first few weeks in my life, my adoptive parents later divorced and I fell pregnant at eighteen and had to drop out of University... what would have been a very sad life story for one... has turned out to be an amazing life journey for me.

All the best,

red

I think Jenny - like myself - is concerned and stressed about the prospect of leaving SA. Our HEAD is telling us to GO but our hearts are finding the decision very tough. It is true that the only way we will ever know is if we take the plunge and DO IT!!!! Please be patient and entertain our questions cos we really do need your support!!

Red - As always you are a mountain of strength!!! I wish I was headed to Adelaide!!!

K

No offense intended really, and no fights are being picked here, but this same-old-same-old question is starting to become a little tedious. I get it! You are nervous!

Come on guys - play fair. These guys are not on this side of the water yet. Before we came, other people answered my questions, which I'm sure they found tedious. But: no matter how many times I asked, I always got answered in a helpful manner. It's definitely NOT tedious to the person posting the question.

Also - answers you can 'search' on the forum regarding the move may not be relevant now. Things changed last Oct when the economy crashed and with that, experiences will change.

Completely relevant question, I think.

In short, JennyR, it's not an easy time for migrating.

Jobs are hard to come by, they might not be the jobs you are looking for. It's not as easy as is was 24 months ago. But it IS a great place to live.

Unfortunately living in this great place comes at an emotional price. It's hard being far from family, especially when things aren't going well with them. THe emotional is by far the hardest part of doing it.

If you want more detail, PM me, I'd gladly answer your questions.

L

Yes, you got our attention, again... I feel a little disturbed that you are assuming that those of us who have said we are happy, are misleading you or perhaps not telling the truth? Sure some are unhappy here, and have the right to change their circumstances - perhaps even go back to RSA if that will make them happy, but you will simply HAVE to eventually believe that some of us ARE in fact over-the-moon, madly-in-love, happy & delighted with our new lives in Australia! Is everything perfect here? Hell no! But, whoever said it would be..? It's as good as it gets, and for many of us that's more than good enough...

I have read what many have said about loving Aus, and I totally relate to them and agree! It is everything that we had hoped for and so much more. Can you accept that some of us ARE actually truly, truly, TRULY happy in Aus, and nobody is trying to 'trick' you into moving to Aus only to find that we have all told lies about the place, and that it is worse than what we left behind in RSA? I too have read the responses on the forum and they seem very well balanced, people HAVE been honest about their experiences from what I can tell, the good and the bad. And why would they not be honest? Perhaps you should take our word for it now, or come to Aus to decide for yourself?

No offense intended really, and no fights are being picked here, but this same-old-same-old question is starting to become a little tedious. I get it! You are nervous! We were all nervous before the move, that's completely natural..! It's part of the process. Emigrating is a life-changing experience and these are seldom 'easy.'

To satisfy your quest for the 'truth' that you are after, perhaps you should join the homecoming revolution to find out from Saffers that have left Aus to return to RSA WHY they returned. This might give you another perspective on the issue? One that you probably can't get from Saffers in Aus who are incredibly happy and grateful to be here. Perhaps your thirst for something less-than-perfect about life in Aus will be quenched then?

Oh, and you have probably read this piece of advice (based on experience) on the forum before: Emigrate with your head not your heart. It is true, emigration can be very, very traumatic and difficult for almost anyone. But, if you are firm in your resolve, and if you know exactly WHY you are leaving, then you WILL make a success of it, regardless of what hardships you may face once you arrive. Are you doing this for the right reasons? Is it the PULL of Australia that attracts you? Or the PUSH from Africa that repels you? Are you willing to risk EVERYTHING if necessary to embrace this new life that you are so very, very fortunate to have? So many desperate people will never have the opportunities that you have...

Good luck in your search. And please forgive me if I come across as a little passionate about Australia and the opportunities that we are presented here. I hope that I have not offended you in any way.

Best wishes

Andi

Well said Andi!! :blush::ilikeit: We feel exactaly the same!!

JennyR

We all would like that answer based on the current conditions. We will (hopefully) immigrate in the next few monts. But, the thing that bothers me the most, is the jobs. Will we get something, anything. And based on that fear, it is good to hear from people how it is in Aus, NOW.

Old reply's to this question is not relevant anymore. Maybe someone was blissfully happy a year ago, but now, is it still the same story?

All this will not change our minds to immigrate, we are going!!!!!! But, it will help us prepare better.

So, if your oppinion is still the same about Aus, and you do not want to answer again, that is OK, but if you do, THANK YOU.

Hi

Have to agree with LB, the emotional side is the hardest part. Life in Australia is peaceful in that you don't have to constantly be on your guard, you can relax, enjoy life, your money at the end of the month isn't going to large insurance payments on your car, the monitoring of your house alarm etc, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it comes at a price, it isn't what I thought it would be, I wasn't expecting this lack of manners/respect/drinking in the youth and I bought over a daughter of 16, who left behind really nice friends who were well mannered, respectful etc. It isn't only the youth that have a drinking problem, the so called Sports stars are always in the news, for excessive drinking and everything else that goes with it. Where are the role models? Drinking is a large part of their culture, and that came from an Ozzie.

I am talking about the area I live in, which is central qld.

We have been here almost 20 months, we still ride the rollercoaster of emotions, it has its good times and its bad, hopefully the good times outweigh the bad, I think they do, but I still really don't feel I fit in yet, hopefully that will come. At this moment in time I am just looking at citizenship then I will take it from there, whether I want to stay in Oz or not.

My kids will decide what they want to do, they are 21 and 17. My daughter (17) has already told me she doesn't see herself staying in Australia.........so what can you do. I hope she wont return to SA but that is her choice to make.

We don't have a better standard of living here, we have a bond again, food is expensive, things like toiletries, cleaning products etc, eating out is a luxury, so I would say your standard of living in general is better in SA. This is just my opinion.

But at the end of the day, would I do it again, yes I would, we decided we needed to see what Australia is all about, otherwise we would always have said "what if", so now we are here, we have given up too much to go back, so we are really in the position of having to make it work. I also don't want to live in a Crime infested Country, so going back is not an option.

Sorry if this sounds all doom and gloom, it isn't. We have made lovely saffer friends here, I am friendly at work with the ozzies, get along well with them all, wave to the neighbours but that is as far as it goes. No socializing.

Well you asked for opinions, so there is mine.

Jill

z

My husband and I have found our experience in Australia LIBERATING - you can just read some of the former posts of ours on why we decided to move and what our concerns are and honestly, these issues are not things that we have to deal with in Australia. I have found the people to be friendly and have a good support network of South African and Australian friends.

Although times are tough and the economy is in turmoil, we found that we have left a lot of the material "things you HAVE to do to keep up with the Joneses" back in South Africa and thus actually can get by on less here. Our life is simpler and that is the way we wanted it.

I think your attitude needs to be right before you make this move and you do need to realise you are going to take a step back. It is hard and you do miss your family and sometimes if you go looking for negativity, it will find you and bite you in the butt! To go constantly seeking negative feedback may not be a good thing to do but besides that, there are so many postings even since October last year (when the economy went pear-shaped) expressing the challenges that people are having to deal with. It would be unrealistic to think that things here are perfect but for us, they are so much better.

My husband and I are so happy to have had an opportunity to make this move and I have been to two job interviews in the current economic climate that both look promising, so from our side (and no need for me to PM because I am happy to say it out loud), WE LOVE AUSTRALIA!

Cheers,

Liesl

All the GOOD and BAD is already on this forum - discussed over and over again! As said before .... its what YOU make of the whole experience! No one will lie and mislead you! In my experience ... every one is very honest here! Its all about doing your reasearch, making up your mind and pack the bags!

Edited by Feetjie

I agree with all the posts above. I almost don't want to write about my experience, because it is exactly that: MY experience, which is framed by MY unique backbround and circumstances.

For me the question is: do you feel you want/have to leave South Africa? If so, where will you find a country that doesn't have problems? No where. It is rather a question of: in which country can I adapt the best and make it work? You are guaranteed not to like some of what you see in Australia. But if you open your heart and mind, you will LOVE what you find.

I have somedays been so fed up, but I must tell you, that the positive far more outway the negative. I believe for our family it is so, because we decided we will stay and we will adapt, even if it takes longer than we anticipated. Having said that, I don't for one minute critisize those who feel it's time to go back. We've made huge decisions in other areas of our lives and realised afterwards that it just wasn't the right decision. No shame in admitting that.

You will not know how it is going to be for you until you are here. I can almost guarantee that you will have the same struggles in Canada, New Zealand or USA. Every place will be strange, wonderful, exciting, irritating, touched by the global economy, all rolled into one. It's what you make of it in the end.

Hi Jenny

We have been here about 5 months.

My company transferred me to work in our Perth office, but obviously after discussing it with the family, I agreed to the transfer.

These last few months have been very difficult to say the least (more than expected), and I guess we had it ‘easy’ being transferred (same company / good job) and having the company pay all the costs and facilitate the visa, relocation, temp vehicle and accommodation etc..etc..etc.

I can only guess it must be ‘hell’ if you do it on your own.

There are many very good things about Oz, and yes, a few not-so-good things – but simply put - compared to SA I would choose to stay here, even with a ‘reduced’ life-style, high cost of living and having to ask lots of 'stupid' questions to learn the lay-of-the-land.

If you are looking for reasons to stay – you will find them, however, you will find both ‘reasons’ to come over, and some ‘reasons’ to stay. At the end of the day – you and your family need to decide based on your circumstances, needs, etc...(as migrating is a 'life changing decision for your entire family).

If you do move, you need to research and pre-plan well, set up communications with your family etc..etc.., even if it means setting them up on skype (or equiv.) and teaching them how to use it (as we did). Etc…etc…etc… >

This site is FULL of great advice (and people) to help you prepare for the move ! (if you so choose) - I don't think any one will try to 'convince' or 'deter' you - just plain honest advice based on each persons different situation.

gOOd LucK with your decision

ïŠ

Edited by patrice

Hi There

Firstly MOVING IS NOT FOR SISSIES!!!

Its bloody difficult and very tough.Leaving everything behind ,even though you have all the crap with crime and everything else,is not easy.

its NOt for everyone.But EACH ONE is different and everyone travels his/her own path.You cannot make your decision based entirely on othetr peoples advice.I went thru same battle-and ultimately altho painful and tough it has many positives.

australia ain't utopia--I am amazed how people gush about how great life is;but then its up to the individual.

There are great points and negatives as well.You have to make that decision yourself-have an open mind and prepare for a tough road ;especially the first 2 years.

But at the risk of sounding like a broken tape recorder-there is a peaceful,relatively uncluttered good life that can be had.

Each to his own.....if you dont try you will never know!!

good luck--hasta la vista

Hey guys and girls! I'm back!

First of all, sorry for the 'serious' thread topic. I didn't want to worry anybody but I planned it that way so that I could get a lot of views and responses. So mission accomplished! :rolleyes:

I'm going to reply to each and everyone who responded to this thread just so that you can see that I really appreciate your response and that I did take note of whats been said!

So this might get a bit lengthy, but hear we go...........................................

Can I say, please do share your thought about Oz because we all know Oz also has problems, and there should be a need for anybody to fight about it or anything!

Hi Martinp, not sure I understand. Are you asking me to share my thoughts or telling the others to share their thoughts?

I can honestly say, moving to Oz was the best thing we ever did. But I'm not suggesting there are no problems or that the move is a easy one. Far from it, We've been here almost 3 year now and in some ways we're still settling in, Also, I don't think anyone who is being honest would say Oz doesn't have it's share of problems. But you know, I'm very happy to help solve those. Also we did have family when we came (as I've said before) this does make a difference. Even so I have the same feelings of almost guilt about leaving family/friends in South Africa. But then I remind myself that, I must do what is best for my family. And as far as I'm concerned...there is no doubt. This is our home now.

Another happy family! :rolleyes:

It definitely helps if you have family there. But than, I've heard of people having family there, but because Oz is so stretched out they don't see them often. It is killing me and surely others to leave our family behind. But like you say, we must think about our own now!

Thanks for sharing! :rolleyes:

Hi Martinp, not sure I understand. Are you asking me to share my thoughts or telling the others to share their thoughts?

Haha, don't know what I wrote there.

I wanted you to share the stories you have with us and also wanted the people with negative thoughts, to share them as well!

Hi Jenny

I am not realy sure what you are asking from people on the forum, I believe they are telling you what they honestly think of Oz.. At the end of the day YOU are the only person who can make the decision as to whether you are going or not. You cannot rely on other people to make your mind up. If you have decided to go then go, no matter what anyone says, we are all so diverse and our opinions differ greatly. If you are basing your decision on what others say then I do not truly believe you are ready to make the move. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your response! Nope! I'm not going to base my decision on what others say. I'm merely trying to put down a list of all the bad AND good of Oz. At the end of they day if I decided to immigrate to Oz, I want to know what I am letting myself into. So, if I am unhappy, there is no one else to blame! Off course people will experience the same thing differently, but by posting this thread at the end of the day, I do get a clearer picture of what to expect and what is going on in Oz. Remember, you guys are our eyes there!

Thanks Jenny :rolleyes:

Quite a few people ADMITTING they are not happy in Oz. Also telling me things about Oz that no one tells you.

I would love to hear the stories about Oz that no one tells you. Please!!!??? And if anyone don’t want to post it in a open forum, please pm me. It will be highly appreciated.

Yes, you got our attention, again... Sorry Andi, I did not mean to upset you by my threads topic. Thought this is the only way I will get a lot of responses and it worked!! I feel a little disturbed that you are assuming that those of us who have said we are happy, are misleading you or perhaps not telling the truth? [/b]No, I am not assuming and don't think that you are misleading us! It was just interesting that when I posted the thread re wanting to pull out of my application, I received quite a few PM's of people telling me that they think it is a wise move. People who admitted to me in person that they are unhappy! Sure some are unhappy here, and have the right to change their circumstances - perhaps even go back to RSA if that will make them happy, but you will simply HAVE to eventually believe that some of us ARE in fact over-the-moon, madly-in-love, happy & delighted with our new lives in Australia! And I am very happy for you! And yes, it makes me happy too to hear positive stories! I know there is a lot Saffers being happier in Oz than they've been is SA. Is everything perfect here? Hell no! But, whoever said it would be..? It's as good as it gets, and for many of us that's more than good enough... Now that is the things that I want to hear about! What is bad in Oz that I do not already know off. And you know Andi, with my little research I found out a lot of stuff that I did not think about before or didn't knew!

I have read what many have said about loving Aus, and I totally relate to them and agree! It is everything that we had hoped for and so much more. :rolleyes: Can you accept that some of us ARE actually truly, truly, TRULY happy in Aus, and as I said, this makes me happy as well, because this is what I want to hear! and nobody is trying to 'trick' you into moving to Aus only to find that we have all told lies about the place No Andy, nobody is trying to trick me into moving to Oz. This is my decision and my decision only!v, and that it is worse than what we left behind in RSA? I too have read the responses on the forum and they seem very well balanced, people HAVE been honest about their experiences from what I can tell, the good and the bad. And why would they not be honest? Because they don't want to be smacked down by the pro-immigration group! Perhaps you should take our word for it now, or come to Aus to decide for yourself? That is the thing Andi! Even if I do a LSD trip, I'll still not know what Oz is really all about. It is different than to holiday in a place than actually living there. We in SA don't have eyes to see what it is like living in Oz and thats why we ask you guys! :rolleyes:

No offense intended really, and no fights are being picked here, but this same-old-same-old question is starting to become a little tedious. I get it! Perhaps I did not get my answers from previous threads posted. If the thread annoys you, than please skip it and move on to the next. :rolleyes: You are nervous! We were all nervous before the move, that's completely natural..! It's part of the process. Emigrating is a life-changing experience and these are seldom 'easy.'

To satisfy your quest for the 'truth' that you are after, perhaps you should join the homecoming revolution to find out from Saffers that have left Aus to return to RSA WHY they returned. [/b]Already did, thank you. I'm trying to gather information on ALL sides. This might give you another perspective on the issue? One that you probably can't get from Saffers in Aus who are incredibly happy and grateful to be here. Perhaps your thirst for something less-than-perfect about life in Aus will be quenched then?

Oh, and you have probably read this piece of advice (based on experience) on the forum before: Emigrate with your head not your heart. It is true, emigration can be very, very traumatic and difficult for almost anyone. But, if you are firm in your resolve, and if you know exactly WHY you are leaving, then you WILL make a success of it, regardless of what hardships you may face once you arrive. Thanks, good advice! Are you doing this for the right reasons? Is it the PULL of Australia that attracts you? Or the PUSH from Africa that repels you? Are you willing to risk EVERYTHING if necessary to embrace this new life that you are so very, very fortunate to have? So many desperate people will never have the opportunities that you have... Yeah, something to think about! You see, never thought of that!

Good luck in your search. And please forgive me if I come across as a little passionate about Australia and the opportunities that we are presented here. I hope that I have not offended you in any way. No worries mate! I'm glad that you are so passionate about your new country!

Best wishes Ditto

Andi :ilikeit:

Edited by JennyR

Hey Jenny...

This is how GOOD research is done... hearing the good and the bad. Good for you :rolleyes:

What I want to mention is that there is ALWAYS going to be two sides to a coin.

And remember BOTH are based on an individual's perspective... and bias.

If you want facts... for yourself... you need to experience Oz yourself... not always possible I understand.

I don't judge anyone wanting to go back, or even disliking Oz... but we all experience things in such different ways.

I was given up for adoption at birth, lived in a hospital for the first few weeks in my life, my adoptive parents later divorced and I fell pregnant at eighteen and had to drop out of University... what would have been a very sad life story for one... has turned out to be an amazing life journey for me.

All the best,

red

Thank you Red! And this is exactly what I am trying to accomplish! Trying to hear the good and the bad!

Most definitely people experience things in a different way!

Your experience in life made you such a nice person! I do not know you personally but I've been following your posts and you are indeed a very passionate, caring lady! Thanks for all the good advice you give your fellow countrymen! :rolleyes:

All the best for you 2!