IOM cheap one way flights

Dedrei

It is the Internatinal Organisation for Migration.

I have merged this topic with a previous topic about this, for more info. You can just go to the beginning of this thread.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dedrei

• Ready2go

• Rodz

• Cindylou

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx Deidre, I spoke to Deeksha this moring and it will be much cheaper going through them. Got ± 8 weeks to get sorted. Will only get our passports back next week. Do you think that gives us enought time. I'm so scared the flights will be booked solid. We want to fly on the 30th Sept?

She said we must pay cash, what happens to our insurance, not paying with a credit card. Do you have some ideas for me on this?

Thanx

Julie G

We paid for our flights with internet transfer. Insurance, what insurance, we didn't have any. :D Maybe we should have. Dunno. As soon as you have your passport you fax it to Deeksha, we booked our flights within 4 weeks of leaving SA. Had to move a bit round as these types of seats aren't always available on the day you wish, so work round a week or so for safety sake.

Hi Julie,

Unfortunately you have to take out seperate travel insurance. It is still cheaper this way, than to pay full flight costs! We took out insurance from TIC which is a member of the SANTAM group. We only heard that we neede travel insurance the day before we left, and we took out the first policy that seemed cheap enough. We paid R1360 for 5 people for two weeks.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Seker bietjie van 'n stupid vraag, maar kan mens IOM gebruik as jy weer wil gaan kuier in SA? Sal seker bietjie van 'n mission wees as mens net one way op 'n slag kan book but it might be worthwhile the savings!!!

Rialet

Sadly, you are only able to use IOM if you are migrating :rolleyes:

CHeers

AJay

Seker bietjie van 'n stupid vraag, maar kan mens IOM gebruik as jy weer wil gaan kuier in SA? Sal seker bietjie van 'n mission wees as mens net one way op 'n slag kan book but it might be worthwhile the savings!!!

Rialet

Sadly, you are only able to use IOM if you are migrating :rolleyes:

CHeers

AJay

Jip - very sad indeed!!

Thanks for the info anyway.

Rialet

• 3 months later...

Another question related to IOM....

Are there any of you which used their travel allowance to bring money to Australia. This is a BIG issue for me to sort out since it will determine how I will be going about moving money out of South Africa.

We are a family with 2 kids. According to the Reserve bank regulations I know you can only take R160 000 per adult and R50 000 per kid out of the country with your travel allowance. That is a total of R420 000. Which would cover what I want to take out. BUT, what worries me is:

Will I be able to make use of this allowance when I make use of the one way flights from IOM?

What documents do I have to show at the bank when applying to have the travel allowance paid over to a credit card/overseas bank account/travellers cheques? Do I have to show my VISA (it will be a permanent visa so I am careful who to show it to)? I know I will have to present them with the air tickets. But what if the tickets are one-way and purchased via IOM?

As you can deduct from this...I am either not sure if/how long I will be in Australia permenently (or that is what I want them to think) and I do not want to state my leave as "emigration".

In short: What are the issues involved with using the IOM tickets at the foreign exchange to transfer money?

Guest Bronwyn

Swerver I was also worried about this, but it hasn't turned into an issue.

You go to your bank Forex Dept. with a copy of your tickets (I had e-tickets) and the PHOTO page of your passport. You don't show them the Visa and, they didn't ask me for it. I took photocopies and left the actual passports at home, just in case someone noticed.

They didn't notice or care that the tickets were one-way. This is your Travel allowance, so they assume you are going on holiday.

If any of your children are 12 or older they also get to take R160,000. Under 12 it's R50,000.

Hope it helps, Bronwyn

Just also thought to mention that we get free travel insurance with our credit card. We told them we will be away for at least 3 months (not a lie :) ), and they faxed me proof of cover for 3 months which is their maximum time allowed for free. All our names are listed on the cover, and we paid nothing...but you have to ask.

Bronwyn

• 3 weeks later...

Deirdre

Ek was op die website van IOM, maar kry niks daar ivm hulp nie. My 2 dogters moet oorkom volgende jaar, kan hul net die e-mail adres kontak. Want toe ek 3 maande gelede hierheen gekom het, moes ek R5000 ekstra betaal agv oorgewig bagasie. Dit was op SAA - ek was woedend want ek is 'n top sport persoon en het 'n geldige Internasionale uitnodiging gehad, maar SAA het dit afgelag.

Weet jy of iemand dalk of ek dit kan terug eis van hul af? Dis bloedgeld, veral as mens nou terugkyk en wat dinge hier kos om net 'n visum te kry, die mediese koste vir die visum ens.

Ek hoor graag jul mening....

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put the sceptics at ease;

Booked flights tickets through IOM (Deeksha) for 3 adults and 1 chlid one-way from JHB to Melbourne at R24,000, including 40kg luggage.

Tickets took around 5 days after transferring the funds.

I can also confirm that this is also valid for the 457.

Great recommendation.

Thanks to those that figured this out and informed the rest of us. ;)

A.

• 1 month later...

Ons maak gebruik van IOM se dienste. Ons vlug is Vrydag, 16 Februarie 2007. Ons vlieg met QANTAS via Sydney na Adelaide :ilikeit: .

Vliegkaartjies is R 6300pp lughawe belasting en diensfooie ingesluit. :) Ons mag ook 40 kg baggage saamvat. As ons Sondag (18 Feb) vlieg, sou dit ons R 900pp minder gekos het, maar ons het besluit dat ons liewers Vrydag wil vlieg. Dan kom ons Saterdagaand op Adelaide aan, nog naweek.

IOM het mos nie kredietkaart fasiliteite nie :) , mens moet of met kontant of met ‘n tjek betaal. Dus kry ons nie travel insurance nie.

Kan iemand dalk vir my inligting gee oor waar ek travel insurance kan uitneem vir so ‘n week of 2 en min of meer wat dit gaan kos?

Kontapersoon: Deeksha Bhoola - tel. (012) 342 2789 Faks. (012) 342 0932

Wel, daar het jul dit...

Groete

Aneldari

Hi Aneldari,

Ons gaan vir ons LSD in Maart en alhoewel ons alles met ons kredietkaart gekoop het, het ons besluit om steeds addisionele "travel insurance" uit te neem. We paid R875.00 for the 2 of us and it is very comprehensive.

Ons het dit by Pentravel Menlyn gekoop.

Hier is die kontak besonderhede:

Salome van der Berg

Tel: 012 368 1202

Fax: 012 368 1288

email: salome dot vanderberg at pentravel dot co dot za

Shop 10/11

Lower First Floor

Menlyn Park Shopping Centre

Cnr Atterbury Road & Lois Avenue

Menlo Park

Pretoria

Hours:

Mon-Fri 9am-6pm

Sat 9am-3pm

Sun 10am-12 noon

Hoop julle kom reg! Nogmaals baie geluk! :) Sien uit om julle Saterdag te sien! :ilikeit:

Groete, Pippa! X

Hi!

On 16 February 2007 we are flying with the IOM tickets. We are flying with Qantas. Direct from Joburg to Adelaide VIA SYDNEY. When we land at Sydney, there will be a 3 hour delay before our next flight to Adl. We depart at 17:50 on Friday from Joburg, arrive at Sydney at 14:35 (Oz time), our flight to Adl. depart at 17:25 and we land at Adl. at 19:05 (south oz time). There you have it, hope it helps :ilikeit: !

Greetings

Aneldari

Hi all, do they do flights from the UK to Oz or only from SA? And what sort of price will it be for 2?

Thanks

Mitch

How far in advance should one book the one-way ticket through IOM? i.e. if I plan to leave on 1st of June, by when at the latest should I book the ticket?

Thanks

Charl

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked my ticket through Deeksha from IOM and they were excellent!I only paid R5600 for my one way ticket to Adelaide and get 40kg.Definitely worth it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ons sien op IOM se site dat hulle se hulle gebruik bekende lugrederye. Weet iemand dalk watter bekende lugrederye dit is ? Wat julle tevrede met die vlug? Was daar al enige probleme ? Die rede vir al die vrae is dat my man se hy sit nie sy huisgesin op 'n "swak" lugredery nie, hy's te lief vir ons. :blush:

Groete

As jy uit SA vlieg is dit 99% Qantas, hang af waar anders is dit SAA

Guest Bronwyn

Aniena - Dis beslis die moeite werd om deur IOM te vlieg. Hulle het ons op Qantas geboek, JHB-SYD-ADL.

Dis niks anders as wat jy gaan kry by 'n gewone reis-agent, net heelwat goedkoper en meer baggasie-toelaag.

Moenie twyfel nie! :blush::hug::)

BTW: Jy kan eers 'n 'quote' aanvra en jy sal dan sien deur watter maatskappy dit geboek is.

Edited by Bronwyn