IOM cheap one way flights

Dedrei

This is really a life saver to a lot of people migrating to oz.

Look at http://www.iom.int.

What they do is offer cheaper (sometimes 50% cheaper) to immigrants with 40kgs baggage allowance (normal flight is 20kg) per person and this is only a one way flight. You will need to have your visa in your passport already before you contact them, but you can contact them if you need more info.

This is not only for PR visas, people with 457 visas can also get these cheaper flights.

Contact person:

Deeksha Bhoola at IOM - Deeksha Bhoola (DBHOOLA@iom.int) on 012-3422789.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dedrei

• Ready2go

• Rodz

• Cindylou

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dedrei

Are their return flights cheaper also? Can you go from Aus. to Sa? (with the same baggage allowance)

You can only fly one-way with IOM - no return flights. They require a visa proving status before they are able to issue the ticket as well.

The contact number in Oz is +612-6257 1173 / +612-6249 1583

• 3 weeks later...

When I booked our flights some 5 odd years ago I simply phoned the airline, mentioned I was migrating and asked for double the allowance. They asked for proof which I supplied and my request was granted.

As we came over on a 457 Visa we were not allowed double allowance cause our passprt did not show that we were migrating

As we came over on a 457 Visa we were not allowed double allowance cause our passprt did not show that we were migrating

Did you try to use IOM and they said you can't get flights with them?

got a quote today from quantas, just under R9k, incl 40kg plus 7kg hand luggage. IOM was under R5k for the same thing.

Gulp!! Wow, big difference.

Flying QANTAS is off course the shortest route but flying other airlines such as Malaysia Air or Singapore Airlines allows for a stopover which is often needed after the hectic 'getaway', and pricewise normally quite cheap.

i'll check and add 40kg unnaccompanied baggage costs and let you know

cHECK ON THE RN FORUM , I LOOKED THERE FOR QUOTES TO SA AND FOUND THEM VERY CHEAP.

• 2 months later...
Guest colton

Don't know if I'm posting in the right place but I read somewhere about flights with IOM and the fact that you can get 40kgs luggage allowance? Also something about sending goods via air freight if you aren't taking too much with you instead of part container etc. Worked out cheaper? Can't find it anymore and a friend is leaving in two weeks and the info would really help her. Need one way tickets and as much baggage allowance as possible.... :ph34r: Thanks!

You're on the right track wrt IOM. According to my records their contact number is 012 342 2789 - speak to Deeksha Bhoola.

From what I've read to date I don't think you'll get that lined up in two weeks. Sure it is worth a try.

Can't help on the air freight issue though.

We used deeksha from IOM, you need your visa in your passport before you can book with them. I see you are from Durban. Just make 100% sure that all your tickets are booked correctly. We learned a dear mistake, arrived at Cape Town Airport and just to find out that our CT to JHB flight was not booked correctly, with having proof of booking numbers and everything. So, just double confirm everything.

I will be merging your post with my original post on IOM.

We're going to be investigating airfreighting as we have stuff on 2 continents.... We were advised to try two online places for quotes - worldbaggage.com and excessbaggage.com or I think they could be .com.au - not sure..... haven't got round to checking yet.

Also check SAA Cargo, or other airlines that fly regularly to Oz - most have Cargo divisions. I think they can take a max of 300kgs.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know whether it is possible to leave RSA for Oz on a one way flight and not officially emigrate ? What is the procedure at passport control in RSA and do they automatically asume you aren't coming back if you leave on a one-way ticket. (RE: freezing bank accounts while I still have property/expenses in RSA)

Thanks

Steve

As far as I know, it is okay to leave on a one way ticket. Your could be buying various tickets overseas to travel around the world before returning from another country for all they know. It is usually the country you arrive in that may have a problem letting you in on a one way ticket if you dont have the correct visas.

Hi Steve

All you need to qualify for IOM is a visa for Aus. All Deeksha requires is a copy of the visa faxed to her and a date and she will make the bookings.

If you have more questions PM me and I will gladly assist you. Being through the process yesterday.

Hi there

We got tickets trough IOM, one way flights, and we are on a 4 year visa. Go figure! So just fax your visa that is in your passport to Deeksha and she'll be able to help you.

Thanks, thats good news. There's an enormous saving in the IOM flights, and they are direct. Don't fancy flying via Dubai and Singapore again.

Hi Steve,

As the others have said, you do not need to formally emigrate to qualify for the one way tickets from IOM. Your bank accounts are not frozen. We came over on the 457, bought our tickets through IOM, and are still using our SA bank accounts.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi guys

Don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but what does IOM stand for. We've heard 4 days ago that our PR has been approved and I want to book our tickets in the next few days and this sounds like something I can use.

Thanx

Julie