Average middle class people in SA

Smartie

Wow, this was quite a discussion....Smartie, this was a really good topic... We did the hard slog, arrived with not too much in the bank - luckily we came on the skilled migration and were PR straight away. We still had a house to sell in SA and virtually gave it away in the end a year after arriving here. We were lucky that hubbie found a job within a day and was earning dollars straight away as I arrived a month before with the kids and seemed to flow through money - (no...did not spend on shopping ...:whome:... it was just I had to pay for holiday accommodation, 450 a week (8 years ago) but I needed furnished accommodation and that was the cheapest I could find. Then I had to book the kids in school (all four of them), buy uniforms, books etc and of course rent a car as I didnt want to buy the wrong one before hubbie arrived. The centrelink payments were paid fortnightly and even if you did not request this, it was automatically paid. That was then... Just some little tips... if you shop at Coles just before closing time at 9 - they mark all the cooked chickens down to $4.50 - buy a few, make chicken pie one night, chicken stew the next, chicken stir fry etc etc.. cheap meal.. Also the bread, rolls, cakes etc all marked down just before closing time..so you will not starve. They also do cheap pizza's on Tuesdays $5.95 for a large pizza. At a lot of churches, they have bread from the bakeries from the day before and you can help yourself.. (and if you come to the Gold Coast, I will even shout you some boerie for your bread rolls!!) Entertainment - parks - great places to go, most have gym equipment so you can do a workout while the kids play ..I agree, buy one car (you can get finance pretty easily - bring a letter from your existing finance company to say you were a good client- always helps) - dont buy brand new - that can come later... If you cant make ends meet, dont panic as you or your hubbie can always pack shelves at night time while the 3 year old is sleeping - they pay well as it is after hours and it pays the bills...always work in this area.

On the bright side...its been 8 years, we are happy, healthy, still married, good jobs, happy happy kids and those are the important things...

you are making the right choice....

Heather

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smartie

• Gizmo

• Navigator

• ronfire

Wow thanks Heather. That was what I needed to hear - How to get by on a limited budget and I think you have helped alot of people that are worry worts like me.

Thanks again

xxxx