Average middle class people in SA

Smartie

Ek dink die meeste van ons hier het maar 'n chip op die skouer weg. Ons is Suid-Afrikaners after all... ons het grootgeword in 'n millieu waar hierdie gedrag aanvaarbaar was. Nou trek ons weg na 'n ander land waar ons moet aanpas. Die dilemma is dat almal van ons in 'n ander fase van aanpassing is. Ongelukkig kyk mense somtyds rond en sien 'n ander ou wat nog nie gevorder het nie en bietjie sukkel. Dan sien jy neer op hom, verag hom. Toon bietjie meer aanvaarding teenoor die ou wat op die oomblik in 'n fase is waarvan jy al wegbeweeg het, mense.

To the average middle class wanting to emigrate I can say that it has been done many times before, even when there is just one income earner and extra mouths to feed. There are many of us who moved here with the clothes on our skin and a few suitcases and who are thriving now. It takes time, patience, courage, endurance, prioritizing, planning, sacrifice... but I want to reassure you: it has been done many times before. Question is: are you willing to pay the price? Because it is emotionally hard and human beings naturally shy away from emotional pain and the discomfort of disconnecting from the past and reconnecting to something new. It is hard. Wether you have lots of money to buy new comfort or not. We all have to endure the discomforts of change. So pick your battle.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smartie

• Gizmo

• Navigator

• ronfire

Mooi so jy slaan die spyker op die kop!!

Dis die woord wat ek gesoek het : KOM MET N CHIP OP DIE SKOUER :lol:

I never had a problem with what others have or don't have - I do have a problem with the attitude of some...

For once I agree with you Renier.

This thread was a question about whether one could make it in Aus with very little to begin with.

Ironically, the people who seem to actually have a problem with who earns what are those who felt the need to enlighten everybody about their success (not those who objected).

This thread is about support, it is not about blowing your own trumpet! I suggest to those who feel the need to make their success known, to launch a new topic, rather than hijack this one.

Materiële rykdom vergaan gou, wel volgens my in elk geval. Laat die wat wil spog met dit wat hulle bereik het toe om dit te doen. Die hoogste bome vang die meeste wind.

Ek en my gesin wil juis wegkom van die alewige kompetisie met ander, ons wil ook suksesvol wees, soos almal, maar nie ten koste van my waardes en normes nie.

My rykdom is my kinders, my huwelik, as ek elke oggend in die spiëel kyk en eerlik kan verklaar dat ek 'n gelukkige man is, ongeag my bankbalans.

Ek glo en hoop dat die meeste van ons die balans tussen materiële rykdom en wat werklik belangrik is kan vind......in OZ !

Verbasend hoe kortsigtig party mense kan wees......

They'll talk to anyone round the barbie, drink a beer with anyone and share a laugh with anyone.

Exactly!

Who cares about a bunch of chops who think/do have more money, and ofcourse have more attitude that you! If the majority of people in Aus are not worried about how much you earn then lekker. The South Afs I know are the same then as the Aussies. Yes I see the snob types around but I dont keep them as mates nor would they keep me as a mate.

I may be repeating what Andrea and Gummy wrote but eish my Afrikaans has gone to the dogs since we moved to Durban and all!

Palms!

I'm not going to even respond to the usual South African aggressiveness or petit mindedness that a few feel the need to impart - this is neither mature nor condusive to debate.

I don't recall me ever mentioning "wealth" I said:

I think a standard of living is relative.
None of you have any any right to judge or be judged. A persons wealth and standard of living are two entirely different things and don't necessarily correlate to one another. And besides none of you have any idea but how the other lives... and I was most definitely brought up not to discuss your salary with another person.

In fact I find this topic a bit ironic considering we are moving to a continent that is supposed to be "all embracing" no matter what your situation, station and whatever else - everyone is equal???

What I find disturbing is that every time a different point of view is given - that person is shot down in flames. I mean it is virtually forbidden to paint any other picture if it doesn't involve seeing Australia with "Rose Tinted Glasses" - but that is a whole topic on its own.

Guest Bronwyn
What I find disturbing is that every time a different point of view is given - that person is shot down in flames. I mean it is virtually forbidden to paint any other picture if it doesn't involve seeing Australia with "Rose Tinted Glasses" - but that is a whole topic on its own.

Exactly why I am seriously considering leaving the forum after a year and a half. No-one wants to hear what they don't like...and I for one am sick of being patronised .:unsure:

I think its great that you are honest with us, i'd rather hear the good, the bad and the ugly, at least we know what we in for.. :ilikeit:

Exactly why I am seriously considering leaving the forum after a year and a half. No-one wants to hear what they don't like...and I for one am sick of being patronised .:unsure:

Bronwyn, being new to this site: are you saying that if one says something bad about Aus do people get upset?

Guest wilna
Bronwyn, being new to this site: are you saying that if one says something bad about Aus do people get upset?

PalmsZA, lyk my daar is altyd moeilikheid as mense oor geld praat...... :unsure:

Soek bietjie op die forum rond, die slegte kant van Aus is al baie bespreek (sonder die groot baklei). :ilikeit:

Edited by wilna

OK - where and who said that we only want to see the "rose-tinted" version of Aus??? :thumbdown:

PalmsZA, lyk my daar is altyd moeilikheid as mense oor geld praat...... :)

Soek bietjie op die forum rond, die slegte kant van Aus is al baie bespreek (sonder die groot baklei). ;)

Dankie Wilna, ek sal so maak!

Ons is ook maar die gemiddelde mens op straat in SA, maar ons wil baie graag Aus toe gaan, nie vir die feit dat dit dalk soos 'n nice nice vakansie vir die res van ons lewe gaan voel nie, maar vir die veiligheid en sekuriteits aspek ook t.o.v. wat van jou pensioen geld oor 'n paar jaar gaan word eendag en of jy dit ooit gaan sien wanneer dit pensioen tyd is.

Als in ag genome is dit nog steeds maar "scary" om te dink jy moet eintlik al die uitgawes t.o.v. betaling vir medies, visas, Engelse toetse ens uit jou sak betaal en dan het jy feitlik net jou huis se geld oor om daar ander kant mee te begin lewe. Ons huis is klaar betaal maar as ons die geld omsit in $ het ons nie eers 'n derde van 'n huis se geld in Aus nie :whome:

So ja dit maak mens bang, want jy gaan regtig weer moet begin, maar aan die ander kant is, wat help dit jy bly die kant, jou huis is klaar betaal en die elektriseteit en erf belasting is so hoog dat jy jou huis moet verkoop.

Smartie ons het op die 2nd hand car sales op die net ingegaan en jy kan nice karre da koop vir 'n goeie prys! Ons glo as jy jou kop net reg kry, fight vir survival, dit sal nie maklik wees nie, maar ons almal volg en MOET dit net maak werk :ilikeit:

He he. :whome:

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can. A Wizard of a song. :ilikeit:

Hey Bron,

Please don't leave the forum, it's people like my family who value your input as you are sitting right where we aim to be. I think to bash anyone about their financial wealth and/or income is rediculous, we are all doing the best we can with the lot handed to us by society, when a sportsmen is paid millions per year and a nurse very little, nothing will make sense. If someone is carrying around bags loads of money here in RSA or in Oz, I want to sit next to you at the next get together and here how you did it. (well done to you, and I need to get off my rear)

Lots of love to all (my cardboard box is waiting for me in Adelaide)

B

OK here goes,

In order get back on topic, here the 2c worth.

As professionals we have managed to make a living in RSA against some of the worst odds. Irripective of how many times the petrol, food, housing and general prices have gone up we have survived.

I should imagine that Australia doesn't dish out money, but with the odds that we have defeated, I reckon we have a fair chance (fair go) at cutting a good slice of the pie for our family. Each one of us has been able to scratch the money together (a whopping sum) to immigrate. Some struggled and some didn't as much. But we will make it, look at those that have gone before us.

B

Edited by Just B

OK here goes,

In order get back on topic, here the 2c worth.

As professionals we have managed to make a living in RSA against some of the worst odds. Irripective of how many times the petrol, food, housing and general prices have gone up we have survived.

I should imagine that Australia doesn't dish out money, but with the odds that we have defeated, I reckon we have a fair chance (fair go) at cutting a good slice of the pie for our family. Each one of us has been able to scratch the money together (a whopping sum) to immigrate. Some struggled and some didn't as much. But we will make it, look at those that have gone before us.

B

I am with you on this one 'Just B'. Our family made a choice to start all over 7 years ago when we moved to Pta. We had nothing but our two student cars on our name. We made it in these difficult situations in SA. God blessed us with a sound mind and health to work for what you want in life. I am so positive about starting over again and face new challenges that will grow us as a family.

Cheers and may Gad bless all of you in your own situation over this easter weekend.

Vlam

Smartie, hier is baie mensies wat sal help, vra net, PM my as julle Sydney toe kom. Don't worry to much at this stage, just get out and be safe. Here you can start again, all you need is your husband and your kids.

Hallo Smartie, ons is ou mense en die immigrasie gaan amper al ons geld vat. Ons gaan gelukkig by my dogter bly wat nou agtmaande daar is, en net haar man het 'n pos. Dit gaan wonderlik goed met hulle en sy het besluit dat sy eers 'n jaar by die huis gaan bly. Hulle het so pas huis gekoop omdat dit moes om vir ons te borg. Gelukkig het die huis verkoop hier vinnig gebeur en kon hulle die geld gebruik as deposito daar.Volgens haar en die drie kinders is alles beter daar en die skole is goed en almal voel baie tuis daar.Hulle hoef gladnie die belt in te trek nie. My man sal maar weer moet gaan werk as ons nie kan deur kom met ons bietjie geld wat oor gaan bly nie.Maar ons is vol moed want almal wat Australie is , is baie gelukkig en ek is seker julle sal ook wees groete

Smartie,

Problem is, no amount of money in SA can buy and guarantee safety, so what's wealth, riches or possessions really worth ? Nothing ! I wonder how many other South Africans would be doing the same thing, if they could just scrape enough together to do this, or if they didn't have pre existing medical conditions preventing them from obtaining a visa ? Seems to me, we are lucky. I am just closing my eyes and trusting that all will be well. Friends of ours are going to Wales, their conversion rate for us, is A - not an option, B - at least the weather in OZ is great !! :)

Hi

Someone once said: " It's not how much money you make but rather how much is left at the end of the month that makes you rich" If you want to save a lot on groceries go buy at Aldi's and the markets. Clothes you can get for nothing at all the op shops like salvos. Transport - get n month ticket for travelling and if you are on a 457 visa I heard about a take home allowance that you can claim on taxes and save a lot there. Pretend you are 21 and starting your new life and then it will be easy. Dont buy the merc and 5 bedroom house straight away. Most of all work out a budget as you go and revice it every month. Do not multiply everything with 7 !!!

Good luck!

All that I can add is also that one must live according to one’s means.

In my opinion, if you arrive in Oz (lets say on the 175 visa, without an immediate job) with about AU$50 000, then you should be pretty OK if you live frugally until you land a job. You can make it even with a bit less than that, but keep in mind housing is quite expensive nowadays, even here in Adelaide.

In our first 3 or 4 years over here we made do without luxuries but as we gradually settled in we could recoup on some material things that we lost when we made the move.

Our only major expense was buying a house, as we felt it was prudent to have a house and also to pay it off ASAP. At times we were what the Aussies refer to as Battlers, but we survived.

So, my point is that it can be done, to arrive here with only a few suitcases, your family and about AU$50 000 (it could be more, taking inflation into account since we arrived). You only have to be determined to make it work, don’t fret about what you left behind in South Africa, as over here, you will HAVE to look forward in order to move on.

I have “forgotten†that I was a school principal in South Africa, as in my particular profession, it counts for little over here.

Only my 2c worth

Dax

Thanks for this post. Signed up with an agent in Jan 2007 with an approved Skills assessment. I just found out that the visa was not approved because I don't have a degree, and that after waaaaaiting :) so long. But I will not give up! Just need to figure out which action to take.

This post keep me going. thanks.

This is weird. Did the agent just tell you, or did you get an official letter form DIAC. I suggest you talk to one of the agents on this forum. Alan or ptlabs.

If you used a South African based agent are you sure they know what they are doing?

Edited by LeeInOz

Sambo yes I do understand that you feel most of the ppl here mostly post only the possitive things about Auz, but if think

real hard, do you think there is any of SA's Tint left considdering all the crime and issues just watching Carte Blance, you will be rudely awake checking out the facts!!! Then I myself will leave for Auz and support all they've got to offer me and my family and be thankfull for that.

The Income issue: I didnt see anyone mentioning their income here and I think the only thing most ppl want to find out is, if they leave with a certain amount of money from SA to Auz, if they are going to survive. Thats only natural. I must say there is a lot of SA ppl who in their hearts want to leave but dont have the guts to do so, because they are scarred they wont make it. I take my hat off to the ppl who move there, built their new lifes and make a success out of it, if we cant make a change in our lifes we stay behind even if we dont move to Auz, the only change we have to get use to in SA at this stage is Secure yourself and your family, learn to stay without Electricity and pay an encridible amount of Tax on the property that you've worked hard to obtain. So why not move to Auz, can it really be that much worse :)

Guest natalie3

That is how I see it..I cant possibly see how oz can not be better than SA at the moment..this is if i take my reasons for leaving into consideration..one of the major reasons being that i cant get a job here in SA..that alone means i will never be "financially free" as suzi ormon says...im sure i will get a job in oz..a decent job...not as a waitress or cleaning lady...

so yes,.,,its all in the "attitude"..i think to make it work in oz, you have to have the most positive attitude possible about your new country..even if it means being a little unrealistic at times..