Average middle class people in SA

Smartie

I spoke to n guy now the other day immigrating to Australia like us; he was complaining that with the exchange rate he is losing R1.5 million. I got the idea that he was “bragging†We have to scrape every sent together just to get started when we arrive and we haven’t even paid all the moving expenses. We are sooo scared but positive and reading these threds gives us hope. If others can do it on a budget so can we!!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smartie

• Gizmo

• Navigator

• ronfire

Guest natalie3

Stuff him man!!..he sounds like a T%$ser..

It horrific that the only way to get rid of ticks is to leave africa!

..ag..i just dislike anyone richer or prettier than me... :ilikeit: ..even if it has a beard...

Hi there,

That is exactly what I was trying to get at. Middle class versus the Elite !!!

We ain't even gonna have a million, let alone loose 1.5 million on the exchange rate.

Weppies, you are not alone.

xxxx

Al moet mens maar so bietjie hier en daar afknyp op die luukshede...dink ek dit is die moeite werd. Ek sal defnitief op die kos afknyp :ilikeit: dit kan die figuur net goed doen :ilikeit:

On the Gold Coast there are lots of wealthy ex RSA's, most stay on Hope Island, a gated community. When I see them I wonder if it is any easier for them than the average person like us. I don't know but what I do know is that in my work dealings I meet quite a few average people who have taken this very expensive step and they are doing good. Like someone else mentioned.......the less you have the easier it is to start from the bottom and rise quite quickly, you don't have anything to loose.

I would have classed ourselves as just the average middle class family back in RSA and I had prepared my family for at least 5 years of hard struggle in the beginning. Surprisingly for us a year after landing we bought our first house in a golfing estate, double storey, 5 bedrooms etc. If you come expecting to have it hard and prepared to work hard, before you know it life will be looking really rosy. Worked out that way for us...........I am still surprised we are not living in a hovel somewhere. :ilikeit:

Good luck to everyone, life is what you make of it.

Smartie, sweety,

Don't be scared, we are all here to help. If you come to Adelaide I'll be here We'll share....

I have never in my life seen a million, don't know what it looks like and I don't want it. I can't miss what I do not have. I have coped without it so far and will do so in future.

I am rich in other ways.

In each and every city or town here in OZ there is somebody that will be of help to you.

Regards and chin up!

Hi Smartie

Dont know on what Visa youre coming over, but on Permanent Residency you'll qualify for Centrelink as well. Not much, but every bit helps.

Monica.

Really enjoying this thread, makes us realise we are not alone

Nicki

We have a friend in Melbourne. He is a builder (as in a labourer).

He and his wife have a lovely house and a baby. His wife does not work, but has started studying.

They have saved enough money for him to take a few years off work to study as well.

In SA, they would be nothing and would struggle to earn a living.

From my understanding, the difference between here and there, is here there are more extremes. In SA there are really, really poor people, the middlers and the rich. It sometimes doesn't seem fair. For example, Estate agents (who have no professional qualification) here get up to 10% of the sell-value of your house for just selling your house.

But an Architect (who has a 6-year degree), who will probably spend the better part of half a year designing your house and overseeing it built, will struggle to get 7% of the wet trades part of the house value only (this is lower than the build-value and much lower than the sell-value)!

Estate agents are an example of people who in the past few years, made it bit, purely by being in the right place and the right time.

Such people who make big bucks with no real backing, are the ones who suffer in 1st world countries. Yes, their standard of living will drop substantially and they will get paid what they are really worth! (Apologies to any Estate Agents here - it was just an example to illustrate my point).

In Aus, there extremes are much less. People are valued more equally and fairly. A labourer will get a decent house and a decent living.

His boss will live in a better house (but not a mansion). Here in SA the labourer only earns enough to live in a shack and the boss lives in a mansion. (Note, usually in SA, neither the labourer nor the boss-builder have any qualifications - the boss just owns the backie and the wheelbarrows, but gets to have a mansion... ya that is fair... not!)

So, the people who should be prepaired to make certain concessions will be the upper-earners, as they will earn less in Aus, where as the lower-earners will probably earn more!

(discalimer - apologies to anyone I offended, but these are the basic reality of the SA construction industry)

Edited by Gizmo

Hi all,

I honestly think it's all about one's mindset.

We are your typical middle-class family, nothing fancy or to brag about, yet we are dreaming of our new life in Aus. We've lost contact with most friends purely because they don't have any children, yet. We had to change our spending habits, no more dining out so often, no weekends away etc thus resulting in losing friends. (So much for friendship)

We prefer staying home over weekends, spending quality time with the kids, gardening, dvd marathons etc. This results in saving quite a bit of cash. We are so ready for the challenge ahead, not worried about sacrificing luxuries, as long as our kids are fine.

Good to know we are not the only family going through the same process and we also need to sell our house in order to have sufficient funds available. God knows best and my advise is to hold on to Him and trust in Him with everything you've got....you won't fail ! :thumbdown:

I just spent the whole of last night worrying about exactly this and starting over again! Feel much better now :thumbdown:

I'm with you.

We also made the choice to relocate to OZ, but we don't have much in the way of spare cash.

We have spend what we have on getting things in order to make the move.

We will have to start almost from scratch if we don't get a offer that offer to pay for the relocation.

For example, Estate agents (who have no professional qualification) here get up to 10% of the sell-value of your house for just selling your house.

Estate agents are an example of people who in the past few years, made it bit, purely by being in the right place and the right time.

(discalimer - apologies to anyone I offended, but these are the basic reality of the SA construction industry)

Ok...... no offence taken, just want to correct the facts here. I think it's a misconception that is prvelant due to lack of knowledge on how the comm is split. I can't comment on the remax setup as each agent is individually registered a a franchise & they can work in teams. But this is how it worked for me.

Current commission is around 7%, most agents work at an agency like Seeff / Pam Golding etc (like I did once apon a time).

Right so this is how it goes

You sell a prop for R1mil, comm is R70000 (prop listed & sold by same agency)

50% to agency & 50% to agents so agents get R35000, but in general we mostly worked as partners on deals so

it's then split again = R17500 on which my tax diective was 18% R3150 =R14350 in your pocket. BUT

If prop list by eg Seeff agent & sold by Pam Golding agent then the R70000 is first split between the agencies then split to the agents so you would then end up with R17500 or if you have a partnership then R8750.00 (before tax).

Also remember, only get comm once prop has transferred, the quickest I received comm was 3 mnths after sale the longest was 7mnths to wait

I generally sold in the entry level market around the 600-900K range, and had to do min of 2 sales (averaged 3 sales) a month to make ends meet as you have to run around in your vehicle with clients,advertise, supply coffee etc LOTS of time away from family in the evenings & on Sundays all at own expense.

It's not as easy as it seems.........

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread, just had to enlighten everyone. So maybe you'll all take a diff view of agents. I know there are many out there who give the industry a bad rep, but there are also many good ones.

"Middle Class"?

"Elite"?

These words aren't used in Australia among Aussies unless they're talking about Poms, etc.

In Australia, it doesn't matter if you are "battling" for money or if you have just inherited a couple of million from a long lost aunty.

If you're an Aussie, you're as good as anyone else to drink with and sit at a barbeque table with, to talk to and enjoy the company of, to go fishing with or meet for a coffee somewhere.

South Africans and Pommies might put qualifications on who is "good enough" to invite round for a barbie or who to meet for a coffee, but Aussies don't put those restrictions on themselves

So . . . . leave them behind in South Africa.

When you get to Australia and you're mixing with Australians, it's alright to tell them that you're a carpenter or welder and the person you're talking to is a rocket scientist.

It doesn't matter . . . and an Australian rocket scientist won't give a stuff.

You're talking to him, drinking a coldie with him at a barbie and if the level of conversation is at a good level, then you're looking good!

He will most likely tell you that his dad was a welder or a carpenter and that he spent many hours with his old man holding the end of a lump of wood while his dad nailed it in place! . . . . Good times!

That's what Aussies are like.

Now . . . . what's all this worry about????

Sleepless nights worrying about not having enough money for this and for that??

In Australia, what's important is that you are a "good bloke" . . . . not how much money you earn or how much dough you've got in the bank, whether you drive a 1992 Holden you bought for $500 or a new Porsche.

It doesn't matter . . . . not to Aussies.

So . . . stop worrying.

Stop thinking "South African"

Be smart.

Start thinking "Australian"

You will get by, even if you only earn a small wage. Life will be good. Life will be manageable.

Trust me.

I agree with your sentiments Bob - and that's what I really like about Australia so far.

Guest natalie3

Bob..your post was very heartwarming..

Its very class-distinctive here in SA..some people even stop being friends with u if u start to climb financially..as in.,.try to make u ashamed to be wealthy...

There is no shame in being rewarded for hard work!..however...i also know of wealthy people who become "snobs"..in SA we have a saying "Niks wat iets gevord het"...those are the worst to me..

I have many friends from diverse backrounds...but i did notice some have become rather quiet since we broke the news that we are going to oz...

For the first time since deciding i feel better about this whole moving thing. Money is a big issue and were i'm from there are not a lot to spare. This is by far the most expensive choice we had ever made. Nice to hear that we are not alone.

Ek het 3 kinders ons gaan op my vrou se naam oor sy is in verpleeging ek is onderwyser hoop maar om werk daa te kry. So ons gaan op een salaris moet leef, daar is nie ekstra geld nie, is dit haalbaar.

Great post Bob. With hubby being a tradesman and "looked down on" here I think that attitude is what we look forward to the most!!

Thanks for this post. Signed up with an agent in Jan 2007 with an approved Skills assessment. I just found out that the visa was not approved because I don't have a degree, and that after waaaaaiting :whome: so long. But I will not give up! Just need to figure out which action to take.

This post keep me going. thanks.

Dear FixAte

Can that be right? What do you do for a living? What did your agent say to this news?

Surely when you get your skills assessed there should be no further problems with that area? Not everyone has a degree, hell neither I nor my hubby do.

Can anyone else comment on this as this news is rather worrying for us waiting....

Thanks

Smartie

"Middle Class"?

"Elite"?

These words aren't used in Australia among Aussies unless they're talking about Poms, etc.

In Australia, it doesn't matter if you are "battling" for money or if you have just inherited a couple of million from a long lost aunty.

If you're an Aussie, you're as good as anyone else to drink with and sit at a barbeque table with, to talk to and enjoy the company of, to go fishing with or meet for a coffee somewhere.

South Africans and Pommies might put qualifications on who is "good enough" to invite round for a barbie or who to meet for a coffee, but Aussies don't put those restrictions on themselves

So . . . . leave them behind in South Africa.

When you get to Australia and you're mixing with Australians, it's alright to tell them that you're a carpenter or welder and the person you're talking to is a rocket scientist.

It doesn't matter . . . and an Australian rocket scientist won't give a stuff.

You're talking to him, drinking a coldie with him at a barbie and if the level of conversation is at a good level, then you're looking good!

He will most likely tell you that his dad was a welder or a carpenter and that he spent many hours with his old man holding the end of a lump of wood while his dad nailed it in place! . . . . Good times!

That's what Aussies are like.

Now . . . . what's all this worry about????

Sleepless nights worrying about not having enough money for this and for that??

In Australia, what's important is that you are a "good bloke" . . . . not how much money you earn or how much dough you've got in the bank, whether you drive a 1992 Holden you bought for $500 or a new Porsche.

It doesn't matter . . . . not to Aussies.

So . . . stop worrying.

Stop thinking "South African"

Be smart.

Start thinking "Australian"

You will get by, even if you only earn a small wage. Life will be good. Life will be manageable.

Trust me.

Its gonna be great to not be judged on the area you live or the car you drive. When I told my one colleage that I drive a toyota tazz he turned around and said oh yes thats a teachers car. I did not quite understand him so I said what you do you mean a teachers car? So he said a tazz is known as a teachers car coz most of the teachers are poorly paid and thus can only afford a tazz. I felt like so small in that huge room.

your entertainment could be a walk in the park!! (literally)

So true, its great to be able to do that and go for picnics again. You really dont need much money when you are able to take advantage of all the outdoor activities here.

I reckon u guys should just be positive about the news lifestyle..in oz that is.

Yes...it will take time to adapt when u arrive (financially)..but consider this :

you are arriving with a clean slate...no debt!

you will move up in your job (No AA etc)

your entertainment could be a walk in the park!! (literally)

everything is new and exciting (even buying groceries!)

these are just a few things i can think of...we are also hitting maer dae with the whole cost of immigrating.,.but i stay positive and keep me chin up...

think of it this way..u will end up the same or better off financial in oz..eventually..but if u see how costs of living are skyrocketing in SA...wouldnt u rather be "poor" and safe, healthy etc...than "rich" and unhappy?...and not rich for long..

So true...

Just for info, my friend has been living in the UK for at least 5 years now. She arrived in Namibia over the weekend 'cause she is getting married. The first comment that she made was how EXPENSIVE everything is here compared to London. And might I add, THE PRICE GETS DIVIDED BY 15 SOMETHING!!!!! eish, wena......