Mommies chat

Guest natalie3

Hi All

Yes vaccinating your kids is a very personal choice i am very pro vaccination as prevention is better than cure, so my little one has had them all and they are covered by the government and after their 18month jab you get about $200.00 from Australia government. here is the official immunisation chart of immunisations required by the government department of health and ageing.

You are required to have all vaccinations up to date to get yr child into daycare or school, but you will be able to send yr kids without it if you have a valid medical reason, in the long run i know it can be scary and there will always be some who will be worse affected by these things and there will be hundreds and hundreds who aren't.

birth - Hepatitis B

2 months - Diphtheria-Tetanus-whooping cough, Hep B, Haemophilus influenza type b, polio, pneumococcal disease

4 months-Diphtheria-Tetanus-whooping cough, Hep B, Haemophilus influenza type b, polio, pneumococcal disease

6 months -Diphtheria-Tetanus-whooping cough, Hep B, Haemophilus influenza type b, polio, pneumococcal disease

12 months- Haemophilus infuenza type b, measles-mumps-rubella, Meningococcal C disease

18 months - Chickenpox

4 years- Diptheria-tetanus-whooping cough, measles-mumps-rubella, Polio

Not sure if you are aware or if you have heard that there is a new vaccine in Australia which is for cervical cancer and is free to girls from the age of 12- 27, you can get it if you are older but it is pretty costly and there are 3 vaccinations over a 6 month period, this vaccine was developed here in Australia and is considered quite a break through!! although there has been lots of controversy over it as a few 1000 girls have had bad side affects but they say it is a drop in the ocean in comparison to how many girls have received and have been fine.

To give you a first hand experience, i have a sister who had the vaccine last year she is 16 years old and had a reaction to the 1st one, she was vomiting alot and felt very weak, but had no side effects from the 2nd or 3rd vaccine, so it is also a case of how your body is doing when u have them, as when she had the first one, she had just had a viral infection that her body was still trying to get rid of, she suffers with low iron and generally her body was pretty run down, so naturally she isn't going to do well when she gets injected with a virus and her body has to build antibodies to fight it, but with the other two she was fine!!!

Sorry if im babbling on, but i thought i would share this information, oh im 28 so i wasn't covered but i was more than prepared to pay the $250.00 x 3 for the vaccination but my doctor advised me against it as she said i would be wasting my money as i am married and have had the same partner for a long time, i wasn't aware that cervical cancer was a transmitted disease, which i now know that it is , so i am pretty happy not to have it, but if i do have a little girl one day i will be sure to let her get it :whome:

Sorry again for the over share, but i hope this is useful to someone:)

Cheers

Audrey

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• audz_oz

• Gizmo

• Antoinette

• clarebear

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest natalie3

Hi Audry..

thanks for all the info!..there is no such thing as "overshare" on this chat..i started the topic for mommies..so we can talk mommie and girl stuff as much as we want!!

so babble away!

Oh..the cervical cancer vaccine....i saw a show on oprah about it a while back and thought mmm id definitly give my daughter that..the whole contoversy was wether it encouraged casual sex...but like oprah said..its not a vaccine agains aids!

So basically i also believe it want open the door for girls to sleep around..i think its a fantastic medical breakthrough!

Guest natalie3

birth - Hepatitis B

2 months - Diphtheria-Tetanus-whooping cough, Hep B, Haemophilus influenza type b, polio, pneumococcal disease

4 months-Diphtheria-Tetanus-whooping cough, Hep B, Haemophilus influenza type b, polio, pneumococcal disease

6 months -Diphtheria-Tetanus-whooping cough, Hep B, Haemophilus influenza type b, polio, pneumococcal disease

12 months- Haemophilus infuenza type b, measles-mumps-rubella, Meningococcal C disease

18 months - Chickenpox

4 years- Diptheria-tetanus-whooping cough, measles-mumps-rubella, Polio

Interestingly i dont see a TB vaccination on the list?? and they so strict with the medicals (chest x-ray)

Hi Natalie

Cool then i will keep babbling :whome: Heehee, yeah i totally agree i don't think it will encourage girls to sleep around, in fact the exact opposite as it gives a broader education to more young girls that if you do sleep around you are more likely to catch it, and they are also are made aware that it is a vaccine which just lowers yr chances of getting it but u can still get it even if u have had the vaccine.

As i said i had no idea that cervical cancer was a sexually transmitted disease, not sure if i have been living in a box somewhere? :ilikeit: but with all this info out about it i am more clued up and if this vaccine hadn't come about i probably still wouldn't have known.

Oh i am all about the medical breakthrough's at the moment, they also are pretty near to coming up with a way for being able to do a simple blood test for ovarian cancer as this is apparently the hardest cancer to detect but probably the most curable if caught in the early stages.

Rock on Medical breakthroughs!!...

Cheers

Audz

Yes very interesting but it is because they are so strict about everyone coming over, there is no one here who has it, and if they find somone who has it there is some serious stuff happening, like they picked up that a guy traveling from Bangkok to Australia had it, so they made everyone who was on the plane go and get tested!!!

Guest natalie3
Yes very interesting but it is because they are so strict about everyone coming over, there is no one here who has it, and if they find somone who has it there is some serious stuff happening, like they picked up that a guy traveling from Bangkok to Australia had it, so they made everyone who was on the plane go and get tested!!!

My goodness..every day oz just sounds better and better!!..cant wait to get there..

Shame..little Nika was soo brave today with her shots..didnt make a peep with the hepA..and gave just a little shout and dirty look to the nurse with the chickenpox...

Dat orrible nurse ratchet! :whome:

We are trying to get our kids up to date with vaccines. THe boys are a little behind, so luckily I started early, because it is 6 months between innoculations. Only problem is, my one son had the government sponsored innocolations angainst polio that they did at the schools. So I have no record of it.

Guest The M's
. Only problem is, my one son had the government sponsored innocolations angainst polio that they did at the schools. So I have no record of it.

Polly

I did also ask the clinic sister about the polio drops administered via the Gvt at creche's... and she said those were 'extra's and didn't need to be recorded... as long as your book/card is up to date, they regard the polio drops as just a little something extra.

Thanks! I don't want any last minute problems with something like that! We will only have three months from confimation to leaving, so I won't have time to organise much then. I am trying to be pre-emptive ;) We will only be able to pack up and go.

I am also trying to do extra things with the kids so they can more easily adjust to the english culture. We are reading them more english books and trying to teach the 6-year old to read and write in English.

I have often wondered about how the mommies and daddies cope in Australia when they suddenly find themselves without that support network of grandparents and siblings. For us it is hard.

Antoinette, I know exactly what you are talking about!! I was just wondering if you are in Oz yet?

SueB

I am still in South Africa. At the moment our sights are set on somewhere in the southwest corner of Australia.

Guest natalie3

Hello ladies..(and the odd dad)...

I have had a few PM's from the other members asking how to find this topic..maby we should club together and make mommies chat a subforum..such as "home and hearth" or chit chat?...i think if a few of us ask the admins or hosts like mara, springbok, hendie (via Pm,nicely!)...then maby they will oblige?

I want to ask the ladies a bit of a controvertial question

My nika is close to the age for the MMR shot..ive read soooo many conflicting articles about its link to autism...

does anyone care to share their opinion?..did u vaccinate?...if your child is autistic do u feel it is linked to MMR?..

Hi Natalie

I am definitely sceptical when it comes to vaccinating. I was very hesitant to vaccinate as in my heart I am not convinced that it is the right thing to do. I am very pro natural medicine and will always question conventional medicine. I actually work for a pharmaceutical company and this has added to my conviction that we are pumping crap into our bodies. I did a lot of research when it was time for my child to be vaccinated and I admit that I finally succumbed to the "norm" as it is hard to go against the system if you are not 100 % sure of yourself. I had decided that I would not vaccinate, but then started cross-questioning myself and wondering if I was doing the right thing and if I was putting my child at risk…why is everybody else doing it if it is actually harming us? So, yes I gave in and my child is up to date with all his vaccinations, but in my heart I still feel I did the wrong thing. I also know a lot more now, but these things can’t be undone, and luckily my child has not suffered any ill effects. My cousin’s child was not so lucky. He is autistic, and they have not discounted the MMR theory. There was no indication of the autism before the vaccinations.

I know for a fact that the pharmaceutical industry is a huge money making industry, and both the industry and government (both local and international) will put money before truth and dangerous side-effects are often covered up because huge profits can be made. I also know that a lot of potentially life-saving research never gets funded as simple cures don’t generate big profit. Sorry I am starting to wander off-topic; I could get carried away here, which is why I resisted replying to this when I first saw it, and I didn’t really want to open a can of worms. Then this article landed in my in-box today and I felt that I had to voice my opinion, because most people really don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. This is from a newsletter I subscribe to.

The Truth about Vaccine Damage

Next week, the case against the doctors who first identified that the MMR or measles vaccines could trigger autism in a sub-set of children is about to resume at the General Medical Council. In my opinion, this is one of the most appalling attempts to cover up an important discovery, one which will be familiar to anyone who has worked with autistic children. In one survey of 825 parents whose children had symptoms that would classify them as autistic, 55 reported clear signs of regression following the MMR vaccine. That's 1 in 15 children. I personally have encountered many parents who reported their children rapidly regressed, developing symptoms in the autistic spectrum, following the MMR vaccine.

Given the alarming increased incidence in autism, this is an important finding - but one which both the Government and the medical profession have attempted to suppress, possibly because it flies in the face of an intended strategy to produce a single multiple vaccine containing several viral strains.

The lead doctor in this case, Dr Andrew Wakefield, is a well-respected academic gastroenterologist. He won acclaim for proving the mechanism for Crohn's disease. The trouble began when he published a paper in The Lancet describing 12 children with gastrointestinal difficulties and behavioural problems that have been labelled as regressive autism, most of whom had been said by their parents to have reacted adversely to the MMR vaccine.

Wakefield's science respected

In the GMC hearing, Richard Horton, the then editor of The Lancet, said Dr Wakefield's paper was an excellent example of a 'case series' and that he had the highest regard for the method which the case series used and the way in which it was presented. It was a standard and entirely reputable way of reporting on a possible new syndrome. Horton said unequivocally that the science reported in the 1998 paper 'still stands'.

Dr Wakefield had alerted the Department of Health (DoH) to what he considered to be a public health crisis, and asked for a meeting with the Health Minister and with the Head of Immunology. It took months for the DoH to answer his first letter and almost six years for them to organise the meeting.

Wakefield's hypothesis can be summarised as follows:

There exists a subset of children who are vulnerable, for immunological reasons, to developing a particular form of developmental regression following previously normal development, in combination with a novel form of inflammatory bowel disease. Onset, which may be acute or insidious, may be triggered by exposure to a measles-containing vaccine, predominantly the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine (MMR). Exposure leads to long-term infection with measles virus within key sites, including the intestine, where it is associated with lymphoid hyperplasia and acute and chronic mucosal inflammation.

Further research supports Wakefield's theory

Neither the Medical Research Council nor any Government agency has replicated the clinical research of Dr Wakefield. However, despite the unscientific propaganda of the lobbies, the Government and the vaccine industry, a growing body of scientific evidence is supporting Dr Wakefield's proposition. Click here for more details. And to see further research papers that that are gradually proving Wakefield's proposition, refer to the three studies listed on the bottom of page 7 in the 'Road to the GMC' report by Martin Walker (Click here to access this file).

MMR vaccine damage is one of those politically hot potatoes such as electromagnetic radiation damage from mobile phones, Gulf War syndrome or dangers from genetically modified food, where both the Government and industry would like to pretend they don't exist. What appals me is the length that the GMC and the Government have gone to vilify Dr Andrew Wakefield and his colleagues to achieve political goals. He effectively had to leave Britain to continue his research. The GMC hearing, which started in July 2007 and is not due to end until 2009, is an attempt to get him struck off and thus discredit his research.

US courts agree compensation

In Britain, all court cases on behalf of vaccine-damaged claimants have been stopped by disallowing legal aid. However, in America last November, a judge in a Federal Vaccine Court awarded an out-of-court settlement of a life-time care compensation package, to a child in a test case for 4,900 children. It was agreed that this child had been damaged by vaccines and is now autistic. Pharmaceutical companies agree out of court settlements for only two reasons. First, they see that they are facing defeat on the science at trial; and second, faced with defeat, they prefer not to have a Judge make a legal ruling that will act as a precedent for future cases.

This out of court settlement - the first to acknowledge the link between vaccination and autism - is bound to have a considerable effect upon the way in which Wakefield's work is now considered.

Stand up for vaccine damage

At the GMC, the case for the prosecution is now over and on Thursday 27 March, the case for the defence begins. I am going to attend a demonstration to add my support to all the parents whose children have been damaged, and to Dr Andrew Wakefield and his team. If you feel strongly about this issue, and other important health issues that get suppressed, and don't feel that we, the public, should be hood winked, please come and join me. The rally starts at 8.30am at Euston Road, opposite the General Medical Council. For more details go to www.cryshame.com, an organisation set up by parents of vaccine-damaged children. They need your support. I'm lecturing at the Vitality Show at 4pm that afternoon at Olympia, so why not make a day of it in London?

More information on vaccines

Coming soon. Special Report: 'Should I vaccinate my child?' - an in-depth report on childhood vaccinations for 100% Health Members. To receive this - and all the other benefits membership can bring - click here for details and to sign up.

Read more on a series of investigations into all the commonly used vaccines, in Dr Richard Halvorsen's facinating book - The Truth About Vaccines

Wishing you the best of health

Patrick Holford

Food for Thought.

Guest natalie3

Thanks for that article!..this is exactly why i am not keen on this vaccine, i have read so many conflicting articles, yet my gut is telling me to avoid the MMR..and just do the normal measles vaccine which the government provides..i am not anti-vaccination, nika has had everything.including previnar, chickenpox,rotarix and all the government issued vaccines, i just feel that where there is smoke there is always fire..my daughter is completely normal..and id like to keep it that way!..

Now plenty of moms are going to reply and say that they gave the vaccine and that im paranoid..but i have done a lot of research on this (not just word of mouth) and i definitely smell a rat...

I am a very, very paranoid mother. I disinfect the handlebars of the shopping trolleys before I put my babies in there. My take on vaccination is as follow's:

Vaccines are a great medical discovery. If it was not for vaccines people would still be dying of smallpox. This disease is eradicated thanks to vaccines. (It is kept in a tube in a P4 lab in France)

Your grandparents probably lost one if not more babies and children to childhood diseases. (Sometimes the parents succumbed as well) Thanks to vaccines you do not have to fear this anymore. As medical science advances so peoples' expectations increases. It is not good enough anymore to be spared the high risk of death/maiming of a child due to polio or any other childhood disease (3 Generatons ago it was probably a 1 in 10 chance). Now people want to be spared the 1 in a million chance of a serious side-effect that occurs from vaccination. There is no pleasing them.

People who do not vaccinate their children are able to do so with relative low risk to their children because the greater majority of children (in a first world country that is) are vaccinated.

Not to vaccinate your child at all is downright stupid. Polio occurs just across our borders.

Guest natalie3

Antoinette,.I think u may be misuderstanding us...like i said before ..i have vaccinated everything up to now..even the "private" vaccines that are very costly..i merely want to find out what moms think of the MMR vaccine...this vaccine is a private vaccine...the measels portion is government subsidised, yet the mumps and rubella are not.

Now..mumps are not fatal (the mumps vaccine didnt exist when i was a child,,,i had it twice and im fine)...with boys...in severe cases it can cause infertility..but my hubby missed a year of school due to mumps and he is VERY fertile ( the little bastard!)..

Rubella is available as a separate vaccine later on..what i am asking is what do other moms out there think of the MMR=autism debate...is it worth it to risk this for diseases that are far from deadly?....

Every single form of medicine has side-effects.

All of the vaccines available have side-effects - ranging from mild pain onwards.

Heck, next time you take a aspirin, read the bottle for the side-effects first.

Nobody would deny that there are side-effects, however, the effect of not getting immunized could be far worse, it could result in death.

Mumps, rubella, chickenpox are not deadly. They can cause sterility (but obviously not in all cases).

Measles is a killer.

If in doubt about vaccines, just do the measles one. An irritable bowl symptom (which probably only occurs 0.001% of the time), is preferable to death (which is a much higher percentage).

The article posted on the evils of vaccines has two major problems. No doctor would take it seriously as firstly, it has almost no references and secondly where are the numbers, and percentages??? Also please note the use of terms "hypothesis" and "theory"- ie hasn't been scientifically proven, it is what he thinks, not knows. Just because somebody writes an article doesn't mean that they are right! (Just like because it is on TV doesn't make it real)

Edited by Gizmo

Guest natalie3

Thanks Gizmo..u made a good point..

I think ill play it safe and do the measels shot and then later the rubella.

Ive done chickenpox already and luckily no side-effects..i have been lucky with nika,,no problems so far with any of the vaccines..

There are many articles out there about the autism-link..and its easy to get lost in the "he-said..she-said"..thats why i prefer to hear from moms who have kids of a similar age and what they think about the MMR vaccine..

I could always do MMR at a later stage when there is more data available and the case against the doctor involved is closed..

I have been reading through this post, and it's great to see how many mothers talk about the thing I have been wondering about. I have 2 boys, 9 and 13, and the eldest of 13 has all his vaccinations up to date, so no problem there. I don't know if any other vaccinations will be required for him before going to Oz.

My problem is the youngest one. He received all his vaccinations, except the one for 5 years. When he had to get that, he was very sick, and we left it, and when he was better, he was screaming and hysterical, so the sister said we can leave it. So I did. Will it be a problem when we enroll him at a school, or should I just do it now. A sister here told me it won't really do any good, it was only boosters, and will not really have any effect now. Is there anyone who could help me on this, please?

Apparently there is a new law in RSA for all children to be immunised again at 12, and the sister advised me to just take him when he is 12. By then we will surely not be here anymore! What should I do?

Thanks Gizmo..u made a good point..

I think ill play it safe and do the measels shot and then later the rubella.

Ive done chickenpox already and luckily no side-effects..i have been lucky with nika,,no problems so far with any of the vaccines..

There are many articles out there about the autism-link..and its easy to get lost in the "he-said..she-said"..thats why i prefer to hear from moms who have kids of a similar age and what they think about the MMR vaccine..

I could always do MMR at a later stage when there is more data available and the case against the doctor involved is closed..

Measles is the most important one.

You can skip the rest or do it later.

My daughter never had any reactions from any of her vaccines. At nine months she had the measles on - no problems.

However, at 18 months (or was it 16 months?) she had the MMR and she reacted badly to it. I think the combination was just too much. I asked the doc, as she was grumpy and had a rash and temp and he said that the reaction to the MMR can last for up to three weeks after! :blink: My poor bubs was grotty for just over a week or so. :thumbdown:

If I had known what we were going to go through, I would definitely have split it up. But, then again, that is just my experience. Loads of peoples kids have it with absolutely no side-effects at all!

Guest natalie3

I wouldnt stress too much now..im sure the ozzies will be very quick to tell you what shots he needs to get before u enrol them in school...

the shots are differents to a certain extent from what i can see they dont do TB like we do..yet MMR is Gov sponsored..

best to find a mommy in oz who has had a similiar dilema...lets hold thumbs!

I think i will just get him his 5 year shots before we leave to be on the safe side. Can't do him any harm now that he is 9 years old!

Natalie, I wasn't criticising you. I read the links on the MMR debate and their are some points there. It frightened me a bit. It is known that viral infections can trigger auto-immune reactions i.e. Guillian-Barr syndrome after a simple upper-respiratory tract infection. The doctor might well have a point. Until then I will not take my children for the booster MMR. My second child also had no reactions to any of the vaccines but with the MMR she got red spots on her skin and was very irritable.

Guest natalie3

Great!...so it seems us ladies are understanding each other.. :rolleyes:

Thats exactly what i was trying to say..after reading many articles (some say no link..some say a link..some say they dont know yet)..i am also just plain too frightened to take the chance...obviously if MMR is on the oz vaccination list..i might have to still give it to my daughter before they let her into school (maby im lucky and the measels shot is sufficient)..but by then she is 5..way over the age at which autism is diagnosed..

..i also know autism is more common in boys..with around 1/4 of autistic kids being girls..but this is still not enough to make me say "oh...it wont happen to me"....

And talking to our peadiatricians wont help...there is no way they will give us their honest opinion..for fear of being attacked by HUGE medical companies and being associated with that doctor who is now on trial...

Its a tough one..but if u consider none of us had mmr ...and we are fine?.,,

Im glad that us ladies are making sense..if im makeing sense that in :)

Whoa Natalie! You don't look older than 25! Surely you had the MMR?

It started here in SA in the early 1970's. I checked my innoculation card and I had it (I was born in 76).

Some general info about the MMR from a realiable source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine