Mommies chat

Guest natalie3

Guest natalie3

Hello all

I just thought it would be nice to get a chat going about what its like to immigrate when u have babies,toddlers etc..

I just realised that babysitting will be a problem for a long while as i have no family in australia...

All those who can contribute any info about creche, babysitters,au pairs, schools etc please get chatting!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• audz_oz

• Gizmo

• Antoinette

• clarebear

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Natalie,

Child care is very expensive but of outstanding quality. I could not find a crèche in Pretoria where I felt comfortable leaving my child, unlike most places here. You basically have a choice between day care (similar to crèches in SA), family day care (similar to day mothers in SA) and au pairs. I have included a few links.

http://www.echildcare.com.au/

http://www.familydaycare.com.au/

http://www.careforkids.com.au/search/advanced.asp?ct=2

The main problem we had, was finding an opening and this dictated the area where we could look for a house. This is less of a problem for the above 2 year olds.

Another thing I feel that I should mention, is the impact that the whole process can have on a toddler. Our son was 16 months old when we came here. We were so focussed on everything else, that we neglected his emotional wellbeing. We made the mistake to think that he was too young to understand and he was not at home during the packing up, cleaning and goodbye phase. To add to the dilemma, the baby cereals and food he was used too, was not available on this side and the available food tasted very differently. To make a long story short, we ended up with a highly stressed out and traumatised little boy who was almost admitted to hospital within a week. Fortunately kids are very adaptable and he handled the move to our rented house 2 months later very well. This time we made sure to involve him and allow him time to say goodbye. He is now a happy almost 2 year old, is in child care twice a week and enjoys it tremendously.

To make such a big move with a young child can be a rewarding experience and the lack of support can result a strong bond between parents and children, since both parents need to be so much more involved.

Thanks for this topic, one of the things we have thought about alot is if we move and have kids they wont have their grandparents and we wont have any babysitters etc! How do you guys who have moved over cope with not ever getting a break and with no family to babysit??

candice

Hi Natalie,

Child care is very expensive but of outstanding quality. I could not find a crèche in Pretoria where I felt comfortable leaving my child, unlike most places here. You basically have a choice between day care (similar to crèches in SA), family day care (similar to day mothers in SA) and au pairs. I have included a few links.

http://www.echildcare.com.au/

http://www.familydaycare.com.au/

http://www.careforkids.com.au/search/advanced.asp?ct=2

The main problem we had, was finding an opening and this dictated the area where we could look for a house. This is less of a problem for the above 2 year olds.

Another thing I feel that I should mention, is the impact that the whole process can have on a toddler. Our son was 16 months old when we came here. We were so focussed on everything else, that we neglected his emotional wellbeing. We made the mistake to think that he was too young to understand and he was not at home during the packing up, cleaning and goodbye phase. To add to the dilemma, the baby cereals and food he was used too, was not available on this side and the available food tasted very differently. To make a long story short, we ended up with a highly stressed out and traumatised little boy who was almost admitted to hospital within a week. Fortunately kids are very adaptable and he handled the move to our rented house 2 months later very well. This time we made sure to involve him and allow him time to say goodbye. He is now a happy almost 2 year old, is in child care twice a week and enjoys it tremendously.

To make such a big move with a young child can be a rewarding experience and the lack of support can result a strong bond between parents and children, since both parents need to be so much more involved.

This is a great topic to have here. I have 3 kids: Megan 9, Bailey 3½ & Josh 2. Bailey goes to a nursery school & Josh goes to a day mom, so they are both used to having lots of kids around them to play with and interact with, I don't want them to stay at home all the time and not have outside stimulation. :ilikeit:

I am also very worried about the fact that they will not have grandparents there.

We should be in Perth by end of the year and I am so confused as to how to find a good primary school for Megan.

Hopefully someone here will be able to steer us in the right direction.

Thank you for the topic.

Malinda :blush:

We came over last year with a 3yr old and a 6yr old.

We had enrolled the 6yr old in a pvt primary school during our LSD. It is difficult to get info on primary public schools as there are no league tables etc - best way is word of mouth. Our 6yr old was behind in terms of the curriculum, but settled really well. Within 6 months he has a wide circle of friends and is out at a friend at least once a week. He is part of the local soccer team, part of the local church group and very integrated. We had been here a week when he declared himself an Australian and his room is adorned with Aussie flags! Still a challenge in terms of catching up, although the school are pleased with his progress.

We didn't want to put the 3 year old into a creche and then move him this year (he goes to a 3-day a week pre-school program at the same school as our eldest now) so we had a nanny. Very expensive ($20 per hour) BUT a lifesaver as she is someone to babysit and has been able to give us a high degree of flexibility. Other less expensive options would include an au pair (if they live with you, you pay about $200 per week) or occassional care (there is one close to us - basically a creche that you can call on the day to use.

Guest natalie3

Im glad to see the topic I started is popular! :unsure:

We will also be arriving in oz end of the year (hopefully) and my little one will be almost 2 when we arrive (her birthday is end of Feb).

My main concern is babysitters...we dont go out alone much as it is and thats with 2 granmas available!

What do we do?...wait till u make a good friend that u trust?..its a bit of a problem..i thought maby there will be the odd student who needs the bucks and can be trusted..just a thought..

As far as schools go ill definitely try word of mouth..ill ask the locals and see what they say..I have read that the oz gov gives a rebate on childcare costs??? anyone know more about this..I also heard about a "baby bonus"..that u get some cash when u have a baby..

One of my reasons for leaving SA is that we cant afford more than one child in private school (unless I work..and cant find a job for 6 months now!).. so it would be a BIG bonus if we could try make a "costs of children" list between all of us..meaning in oz of course...

Hi All (Sorry about being a daddy in the mommy thread :unsure: )

We chose Perth as I have a really good mate there (we grew up next to each other and he has been there for 15+years). We have remained in contact over the years and visited each other (SA and Aus) with our wives and kids. For me the option of having a place where I can drop the kids off when we need to go and buy a car or look for a house is huge!!

My parents are going to follow us but we have to be pr for 2 years before they qualify so there will be a period of time without the grandparents which will be tough on the kids as we see them at least once a week.

Our boys are three and one and a half and my wife will be staying home (assuming I get the job/salary that I should be able to) at least initially to be with them. Our investigations have shown that the cost of daycare (any of the options) would be about what my wife would be earning anyway so the second salary would just cover the daycare :o Made sense to us that she did the daycare job!!!

Rod

i think the mommies chat is a great idea! i am not a mommy yet but hope to be one soon-ish. my hubby and i are hoping to leave for oz by oct this year (depending on how things go) we were going to try start a family before we left and have a baby here, but thought it might be better to have a baby once in oz. i was hoping to have a baby in sa to have my parents around, especially my mommy, but i guess she can fly out and see us? jax

Guest natalie3

Definitely wait till u are arrived and settled!!

The your baby will be a citizen..baby bonus etc..

Also..remember your chest x-ray will be delayed until afer u gave birth..delaying your visa!!

Soo keep drinking those pillitjies ;)

I also would love another one but am also postponing it till we are settled in Oz...

im soo scared i get pregs now i sometimes drink 2 pills a day by mistake!! :(

Hi all.

We have a two-year old daughter (will be three in November).

I am not too worried about the whole baby-sitter thing. I have no real family back-up in SA, and my husbands family all live in Europe.

We have been out twice alone in the past two years (a friend looked after our daughter). This may sound completely :(;) . But it isn't really. A lot of my friends wonder how we cope, but when you are in that situation, you just do.

We go out to restaurants frequently - we just go early so we will be back by her bedtime at 8pm. Initially, it was difficult and she misbehaved, but she got used to it and now loves going and behaves like an angel.

When we go out to friends, we haul with the camping cot and she goes down like a charm. Initially, again, she didn't want to sleep in a strange house, but she soon became accustomed to it and now very happily goes "du-du" in whoevers spare room.

She has a routine and is in bed every night by 8pm (no nonsence), so my husband and I get our own quality time... alone.

Parties are the only difficult factor, but we are not really huge party animals anymore.

Even if you cannot afford, or don't want to use a babysitter, trust me, you will cope and work around it.

What I am most worried about right now is that looooong plane flight. Nina will be three aroud the time we go, and I am not looking forward to it at all. (I won't give her a sedative - no offence to others - just not my thing)

Guest natalie3
Hi all.

I am not too worried about the whole baby-sitter thing. I have no real family back-up in SA, and my husbands family all live in Europe.

We have been out twice alone in the past two years (a friend looked after our daughter). This may sound completely :blink::ilikeit: . But it isn't really. A lot of my friends wonder how we cope, but when you are in that situation, you just do.

We go out to restaurants frequently - we just go early so we will be back by her bedtime at 8pm. Initially, it was difficult and she misbehaved, but she got used to it and now loves going and behaves like an angel.

When we go out to friends, we haul with the camping cot and she goes down like a charm. Initially, again, she didn't want to sleep in a strange house, but she soon became accustomed to it and now very happily goes "du-du" in whoevers spare room.

She has a routine and is in bed every night by 8pm (no nonsence), so my husband and I get our own quality time... alone.

Parties are the only difficult factor, but we are not really huge party animals anymore.

Even if you cannot afford, or don't want to use a babysitter, trust me, you will cope and work around it.

What I am most worried about right now is that looooong plane flight. Nina will be three aroud the time we go, and I am not looking forward to it at all. (I won't give her a sedative - no offence to others - just not my thing)

Im exactly the same..i take my baby with whenever i can (leave her with family if i attend a wedding or fancy dinner)...but mostly she tags along..I also follow a strict routine for bedtime..no matter where we are...

Im also a bit stressed for the flight..nika will be close to 2 when we go so its terrible 2's the whole way?..im also not a fan of sedatives..but ill ask the pediatrician what to do..maby ill take some along just as a back-up..best to have just in case and not need them..than take nothing and the kid gets hysterical with the air-hostess crapping on u and stuff!! :blush:

im also not a fan of sedatives..but ill ask the pediatrician what to do..maby ill take some along just as a back-up..best to have just in case and not need them..than take nothing and the kid gets hysterical with the air-hostess crapping on u and stuff!! :ilikeit:

Hi there

Just a bit of advice... if you're going to take something along 'just in case', make sure you've tested it out on your toddler at full dose beforehand... I did a 26 hour trip on my own with a 22 month old who went on a 3 hour 'hyper' after I gave her something to calm her down!! I'd given her half a dose at home a few days before and she was fine, so I figured it would be ok. Whoops! Don't worry too much about the other passengers or staff, best advice I was given was "do not make eye contact, you will never see these people again" :blush:

Good luck!

Clare

Edited by clarebear

My main concern is babysitters...we dont go out alone much as it is and thats with 2 granmas available!

What do we do?...wait till u make a good friend that u trust?..its a bit of a problem..i thought maby there will be the odd student who needs the bucks and can be trusted..just a thought..

A lot of the nanny agencies also offer casual babysitters. Not cheap, definitely more for special occassions than every saturday night, but they are very reliable and the staff all have their police clearances etc, plus first aid training. They do charge less for 'inactive' care i.e. when little ones are asleep. Then in time, as you get to know neighbours and make friends, you can decide if you'd feel comfortable asking someone else.

Guest natalie3

MMMm...dont know if the agency is soo cool...u never know with the world full of weirdo's who will do anything to get near children..but i suppose a young lady is better than a hairy old man hey :blink:

Thanks for the tip on the sedatives..ill keep that in mind and will speak to the paed about it closer to the time..my little one is usually "easy" but i have no idea what to expect from her on plane...

I must admit the flight over is my biggest thing. I will be going it alone with my 3 and am terrified that my 2 year old wll try and fly the plane ( he will charm his way in <_< ).

Seriously I am most worried about the fact that if I happen to doze off what they will get up to. :blink:

We are very spoilt as to have a live in granny so we can just up and go when we want.

I know that the kids only go to school later but I still would like them to have as much outside stimulation as they can get.

Any one have suggestions of places to take them to when we get to Perth???

Malinda

Hi all.

We have been out twice alone in the past two years (a friend looked after our daughter). This may sound completely :blush::blush: . But it isn't really. A lot of my friends wonder how we cope, but when you are in that situation, you just do.

I fully agree with Gizmo - you manage around your situation - We also don't have any family nearby and no live-in help. We have two little girls one will be four in April and the other one will be two in October. We do alot of entertaining at home and also go for dinners early and you get to really enjoy the likes of Mikes Kitchen and The Spur... actually thats not altogther true - we have been to some more "grown up" restaurants and generally they are very obliging with the kids. You just sort of adapt really...

With regards to the long flight - understand it from your childrens point of view - it is exciting and they will be completely over awed and thats part of the journey. Don't stress yourselves out - they just react and play-up more.

Hello all

I just thought it would be nice to get a chat going about what its like to immigrate when u have babies,toddlers etc..

I just realised that babysitting will be a problem for a long while as i have no family in australia...

All those who can contribute any info about creche, babysitters,au pairs, schools etc please get chatting!

Hi Natalie

Thanks for this topic dad's don't always understand, so great to chat to mom's who do.

I don't have small children but I have a 18 year old child (adult) and a 13 year old. I also have concerns

I am doing this move mostly for them and yet I feel I am unfair to my 18 year old as she has been involved for

a year with a very nice boy they seem to be in love, "I think" 1st boyfreind 1st love and this move is going to force them appart I am affaird she may blame me when she hurts. We had started with the move before they met and when they

met I did warn both of them not to get too involved but you know how it happens. He has said would like to come over but very attached to his mom and also may not be excepted will have to decide when we are settled I have told them I will help any way I can.

My son just started high school and doing very well and already popular as he is very small for his age. He was selected as mascott and all the kids high 5 him when he arrives at school. Worried he may not fit in so well and also I heard kids

move up a grade in Ozz as they start at a jounger age don't know if he will cope as he is the size of a 9 year old in a

class with 14 year olds.

It just doe's not end with kids weather they are 1 or 30 the worries are arround every corner.

With the baby sitting problem at least my 18 year old will be kept bussy by the sounds of things.

I just keep telling myself the move to Ozz is for a better life and a safe one and hope one day they

will understand when they need to protect their kids.

Cheers

Charm's

Guest natalie3

Hi Charms

I can imagine that the older the kids get, the more impact the big move has on them..this is because they have friends,boyfriends etc..

Just rest assured that although your daughter will miss her boyfriend etc she is at the age where she will make news friends quickly and will be very excited when she gets off that plane!

If I were in your shoes I would think long-term...when your kids are in there mid-twenties they will be eternally grateful that u took them out of South Africa!..now they are young and think SA is all hunky dory...but as they grow they will understand politics better and will be able to relate when they read the SA news..

Keep working the "he can visit" line and internet access etc and then just load her on the plane!!..I bet within a month she will be settled and enjoying the new,safe and prosperous future you have given her..imagine how wonderful when she gets accepted to study medicine?..or accepted to become a barrister?...all these careers are becoming AA...

As for your son...im sure there are all different shapes and sizes in Oz and he will adapt just fine!!!

Hi Charms

I can imagine that the older the kids get, the more impact the big move has on them..this is because they have friends,boyfriends etc..

Just rest assured that although your daughter will miss her boyfriend etc she is at the age where she will make news friends quickly and will be very excited when she gets off that plane!

If I were in your shoes I would think long-term...when your kids are in there mid-twenties they will be eternally grateful that u took them out of South Africa!..now they are young and think SA is all hunky dory...but as they grow they will understand politics better and will be able to relate when they read the SA news..

Keep working the "he can visit" line and internet access etc and then just load her on the plane!!..I bet within a month she will be settled and enjoying the new,safe and prosperous future you have given her..imagine how wonderful when she gets accepted to study medicine?..or accepted to become a barrister?...all these careers are becoming AA...

As for your son...im sure there are all different shapes and sizes in Oz and he will adapt just fine!!!

Thanks for the encouraging advise from your mouth to Gods ears.

Let you know as it pans out

Charm's

Hi All

I am also a mum to my 18month old little boy, although i was lucky enough to have him here in ozzie :cry: so he was a true blue before we became citizens i can understand the concerns you all have for your kids as it is a huge thing and every mum wants to make sure her children all well looked after and protected.

I can recommend for those of you who are coming over and will have little or no family or friends to get in contact with your local child health clinic their services are for free and they have heaps of information with regards to children.

If you are worried about your kids not having any friends there are plenty of playgroups you can join and different activities for them to do, for example i take my little one to gymbaroo once a week where he can run around and also learn new things for 50mins and plus it gives me an opportunity to meet new people, there is a gymbaroo in every state of Australia i think and it is for children from 6 months to 4 years, then for the older kids there is Jungle Jims, This is just what i know from living here in the northern suburbs of Perth but i am sure there will be similar stuff in the other states.

Just remember that Australia is a great place to raise kids!!

So i hope this information helps, please feel free to pm me if u want to know any more info.

Cheers

Audz

Guest natalie3

Thanks for the playgroup info..I take my 1 year old to "moms and babes" which sounds like its similar to what u r describing..

The biggest reason for us leaving SA is our child..a better ,safer future with all the opportunities the world has to offer..regardless of race..

Also..we realised we cant afford more than 1 child if we stay in SA (private school and medical costing what it does and seeing as i cant get a job!) ..so as soon as we are settled in oz its time for number 2..which makes me think..u said you had your little one in oz..what was your hospital experience like for the birth?..gov or private? and was it clean etc etc..i know oz is a first-world country..but id like to hear this directly form a mommy who gave birth in oz herself..hope its not too personal??

Hi

No not at all, just glad to be able to share my information with everyone, i had my baby in the private section of the hospital, at Joondalup Health Campus the main reason for going private was that it was my first baby and i wanted to be able to have my privacy and my husband was able to stay with me in the hospital for the 7 days that i was in hospital and it was covered by our medical aid. The other reason is that i got to see my own obstetrician and knew that she would know my history through out my pregnancy going this route was also a little more expensive as when you get to about 27 weeks you have to pay the obstetrician her delivery fee which was about $700.00 which is covered by Medicare for an amount of about $250.00 and you also needed to pay the gap on the anesthetist bill which was about $200.00

The public part of the hospital is just as good as the private and is literally down the corridor the elevators are what separates them, so the main difference is that when you go public you generally see your gp and midwifes at the hospital you are going to have your baby at, you share your room with another person and you get which ever doctor is on duty that day at the hospital to deliver your baby. Plus you have no extra out of pocket expenses as Medicare pays for everything. My friends from our mothers group who went to the public section of the hospital had no problems at all.

So overall it is a good experience no matter whether you go private or public and it is pretty much equal in terms of what you getting with regards to the food, cleanliness and level of service.

So at the end of the day it is just up to you and a personal choice on how you feel, when we have our 2nd one i will go private again as i just love the double beds :unsure:

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask anymore questions

Cheers

Audz

So glad to hear about the occasional day-care thing. In our case both grandparents are deceased and siblings, nieces and nephews are far away. We are a real nuclear family reliant on ourselves and I find it TOUGH. Really tough. Parents need a break from their children! I am hoping and praying for super duper neighbours! I am sorry if I scared any of the mommies and soon to be mommies. You might find it easy. It depends on your personality a lot. I am a person who needs "time-out". But I am coping and I did eventually built up a support group of really super people. People that I can call any time of day or night. I only ask them to babysit occasionally as they have lives too. I've never had the "luxury" of a grandma who can look after my children every Saturday or Sunday like some people do and I envy them. Many a weekend my husband and I will be exhausted and yearning for that oppertunity. It is terrible. In the 22 months since my second child has been born the two of us have been to dinner 3 times! I cannot leave my children with anyone. Many have offered but if they have swimmingpools or if they smoke I will not leave my children there. The closest thing mommy gets to a break is when she goes to the gym and leaves them there in the care-area. Sometimes I just order a coffee and sit watching them from my chair. It is bliss!! As it is I am stressing extra about the countdown to departure because I am going to do all my arangements with a two-year old around me. Like I had to last week when I went to the bank to transfer money to Oz. It takes about half an hour. During that time she cried to get out of the pram/out of my arms/of the chair, climbed on the table and chairs, tried to grab every pen and scribble on everything, walked out of the office and drooled on a chair. Coping without my support network in Oz really frightens me because I know what it is like. When my first child was born, my husband picked me up at the hospital and with that amazing lack of sensitivity that only men are capable of went back to work until 9 that night. There, I was, all alone, a clueless, scared, overwhelmed mom with baby and a caesarian wound. No mother or sister. I had pizza for supper. (Needless to say, he has been in debt ever since) So girls, if you are ever in my area and you need help with baby or children, I would love to offer my help! To my husband's defence, I think he had a major panic attack about having to provide for his new family so he went back to work. He is better than any dad I could possibly have imagined for my children and he accepts me warts and all.

I have often wondered about how the mommies and daddies cope in Australia when they suddenly find themselves without that support network of grandparents and siblings. For us it is hard.

Edited by Antoinette

Guest natalie3

I completely understand your position..eventhough i do have grannies (for now)..i only leave my little one with them on certain terms..my terms!!

Mom-in law has only babysat once (and nika just turned 1) because she insists i drop her at her place...whereas my mom comes to my house and sleeps over..so i time our dinners in a way that its bedtime when we leave so my mom just reads a book on my bed while nika sleeps next to her in her cot..

Babies and everything around them is about comromise..but on some things i am just not negotiable...like the smoking as well..i am a smoker myself..but NEVER smoke in the house!..in the car or within 10 metres of my baby...

My mom -in-law tends to be very lax...as in does not watch her properly..that fa la la attitude nearly got my niece killed (she fell into mom-in-laws simming pool and spent a week recovering in hospital..nearly drowned)..so im sure u get my drift..

Whereas my mom (and we have our own problems) is anal!!..soo scared something happens to nika..and scared of me!!

So eventhough for a long time we will have no-one to babysit in oz..it wont faze me much as im very picky even here in SA on who gets to babysit nika...if im not happy with the available sitter or the arrangement ...then tuffies for me i stay home!!