Meet 'n Greet Service

Ajay

Righto, then perhaps I should start a new business! LOL

I am always happy to meet someone at the airport, after all, I live close by, but I do not have access to a mini bus or a car that can take heaps of luggage, only 4 people and a little luggage.

I can always give suggestions and help to find initial accommodation and always happy to assist with what ever information I can lay my hands on. I have certainly done this for many forum members and I agree, it is always good to find a friendly face at the start of an overwhelming journey!

The best of all is, the price, free of charge!

PM or email me, if you have any questions.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mara

• Ajay

• Constant

• starfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Righto, then perhaps I should start a new business! LOL

I am always happy to meet someone at the airport, after all, I live close by, but I do not have access to a mini bus or a car that can take heaps of luggage, only 4 people and a little luggage.

I can always give suggestions and help to find initial accommodation and always happy to assist with what ever information I can lay my hands on. I have certainly done this for many forum members and I agree, it is always good to find a friendly face at the start of an overwhelming journey!

The best of all is, the price, free of charge!

PM or email me, if you have any questions.

Hi Mara

We are moving to Melbourne end of this year (2011). My husband flies 17 October, and I will follow with the kids end November. We need to find somewhere for him to stay, and then all 4 of us to stay. Our container will only arrive in Jan/Feb. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, is it viable to try and line up some housesitting when one has just arrived in Australia?

I would appreciate your input :)

Thanks

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie

I suggest you check out the link below, it is information covering Melbourne, you will find accommodation ideas there. If you do not find anything there that interestes you, then let me know via PM, and I will do a further search for you.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/5497-melbourne/

As far as housesitting goes, not sure if you would be able to secure that on arrival, I have never been involved in that area, so have no knowledge about it.

Remember with all of the accommodation, if you see something you like, but that the per night price is way too high, then call or email them and tell them you want it for a couple of months, they are more often than not happy to negotiate a special price for long stay with you.

Hi Jacquie

I suggest you check out the link below, it is information covering Melbourne, you will find accommodation ideas there.

Uhm Mara...am I being totally blonde? Where is the link below on your post :unsure:

Oh my goodness, now I know I am getting old...my apologies, I have now added the link :whome:

Dear Jaquie

It would be quite difficult to organize house sitting on arrival, as they require you to have a police clearance......an Australian Police clearance.

Most house sitter also only want singles or couple to house sit, not families, unless you organize this privately with some one how nows some one.

Good Luck.

Hi Jacquie

I suggest you check out the link below, it is information covering Melbourne, you will find accommodation ideas there. If you do not find anything there that interestes you, then let me know via PM, and I will do a further search for you.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/5497-melbourne/

As far as housesitting goes, not sure if you would be able to secure that on arrival, I have never been involved in that area, so have no knowledge about it.

Remember with all of the accommodation, if you see something you like, but that the per night price is way too high, then call or email them and tell them you want it for a couple of months, they are more often than not happy to negotiate a special price for long stay with you.

Thanks Mara, that is very useful. I will do some reading :)

I contacted "AussieHouseSitters.com" and "housecarers.com" who both confirmed that police clearances are not required. It may be worth our while to give it a go, it might save us a lot of money!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Annette, thanks so much for the advice, did however look into it, and have discovered it is no longer available. Do you perhaps know of any alternatives, or whether something similar has been made available again. It's such a wonderful idea and would be enormously helpful. As far as I know we at this stage, we'll be landing in Adelaide, but will be heading to Gawler, and haven't as yet found any South Africans out there. Would be enormously grateful for any advice in relation to this. Many thanks in advance......

This is a really good idea guys. Here in South Australia there is a scheme like this run by the government where someone will meet you at the airport, take you to furnished and fully equipped temporary accommodation which is provided at a nominal rent for 12 weeks, in a taxi paid for by the government. They will then take you shopping, help you register for Medicare, tax file numbers, open bank accounts etc. We made use of this service (which is free) and it was completely invaluable. It's just one less thing to worry about in an already very stressful process and it is certainly nice to feel so welcomed to your new adoptive country ... :ilikeit:

Thank you so much Mara, you're a real gem!!! However, just as I explained earlier, navigating around here is taking some time......blush.gif

Hi Claudia

I had a chat with my friend "google" and he/she recommended the following site:

http://www.adelaideb.../onarrival.html

Hope it helps.