• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mara

• Ajay

• Constant

• starfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh Bob, for a young man you are slow, lost the specs about a month ago! I like the 'new look' me, younger you see!

Hi Anyone arriving in Perth

I would be happy to assist anybody with the meet'n greet at Perth Airport. It is very scary arriving in a new country and not knowing where to go. PM if you need my help.

Noele

Hi there

We arrived two months ago from Durban. We are in Sydney.

There was a lot to learn when we arrived, and it really does help to have someone to show you the ropes.

Count me in if you need help in Sydney.

Thanks

Shelagh

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Shelagh!

I'd really like to take you up on your offer. We'll be arriving on 23 June at 13:55. At this point, we don't have a place to stay yet - have had a look at several caravan and camping sites to stay at until all else falls in place. Would be great if someone could greet us at the airport or maybe a day or 2 after we've landed for a cuppa?

Lurinda

Hi Shelagh!

I'd really like to take you up on your offer. We'll be arriving on 23 June at 13:55. At this point, we don't have a place to stay yet - have had a look at several caravan and camping sites to stay at until all else falls in place. Would be great if someone could greet us at the airport or maybe a day or 2 after we've landed for a cuppa?

Lurinda

Hi Lurinda,

We've not been in Sydney that long, but I would definitely help where I can. I can maybe start investigate some accommodation options for you. Do you have work here in Sydney? Would be good to find accommodation close to work if possible. How many ppl? Lemme know and I'll help where I can! :ilikeit:

Cheers,

Marizanne

Hi Shelagh!

Lurinda

No problem! Let us know the details of what you need. Send some info on who is coming and whether (and where) you are working, etc and we will work a plan. I will pm Marizanne and see what we can do together.

Thanks

Shelagh

Dear Shelagh & Marizanne,

You rock (as my daughter would say)!! First of all, we're 4 people (hubby, myself, daughter (16) and son (12)) that would be looking at a place to stay that would not be too expensive for the first 2 - 4 weeks within which time we'd be able to look around at a more permanent place to stay. Hubby might be able to obtain work in Chullora so accommodation nearby (at least not more than an hour's drive) away therefrom would be great. The first 2 - 4 weeks is, however, more important to obtain at this point. Self-catering would probably be cheaper as well. From thereon I'll need you're advices and guidance again on finding good schools for the kids seeing that the next quarter will start in mid July. Any advice, and I mean, any advice, help and guidance with regard to the temporary accommodation, or anything else that you might think of ladies will be greatly appreciated. We've never done the LSD trip and don't know anyone in Aus except for those on the forum, never been in Aus so we're really feeling like we're in way over our heads. Tried to look at the maps on Google Earth but its not the same as actually being there and knowing which areas to go to to find good temp accommodation.

Please keep in touch - PM or otherwise.

Thanks again ladies!!!

Lurinda

• 2 weeks later...

hi there guys

we have booked our flight and are leaving on 26 may. we are finalising the container e.t.d 20 may.

i have not been to brissies before so what i know is purely theoretical. i will start looking at affordabal accomadation - maybe a caravan park- untill i get my bearings. i will rent a car a.s.a.p. as we have 3 young ones. i would definitely appreciate if someone will have some available time on their hands not to chaperone but to assist us in our venture. i am on a 163 visa.

cheers 4 now

andre e

Hi

Just give me a call and I will gladly help where I can. Am not working at the moment, so free to help. Temp accomodation in Brisbane can be quite pricey - so I think the caravan park idea is a good one. You will obviously wait quite a while for your container if it is only leaving 20/5 so you should be able to get a better rate if you book in for more than a month. If you are looking at caravan parks, the Brisbane Holiday Village is one you might want to look at. Did not stay there personally, but know that they offered cheaper rates for people staying longer than a month.

Good luck for all the last minute things.

Regards Alrae

I would be happy set up and do the same in Northern Tasmania. There is a fairly big South African community here with a lot of people willing to help new arrivals. Send me an email

Guest Hopefull
This is a really good idea guys. Here in South Australia there is a scheme like this run by the government where someone will meet you at the airport, take you to furnished and fully equipped temporary accommodation which is provided at a nominal rent for 12 weeks, in a taxi paid for by the government. They will then take you shopping, help you register for Medicare, tax file numbers, open bank accounts etc. We made use of this service (which is free) and it was completely invaluable. It's just one less thing to worry about in an already very stressful process and it is certainly nice to feel so welcomed to your new adoptive country ... :)

Hi,

Does anyone have any more infor on this service in Adelaide please?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Its a great idea and I identified the same need in Brisbane for South Africans who are migrating or just coming to look and see.

*Removed by Host*

Let me know if you need help. I love to help out wherever I can.

Veronique

This is a brilliant idea!! We are coming over with the company so will be put in accommo etc but would love an opportunity to meet others. In this light, give us a couple of months to get settled and I would be very happy to get involved in doing the meets and greets!

Does anyone have details for the woman who logged on as a guest re the baby club? I have a forum for South African moms around the world and would love her to let the other SA Moms in Aus know on there too if she does go ahead but I don't know how to contact her. Thanks a mil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I received the message below form Demi on this forum and am posting on her behalf. This is a great offer to people moving to Perth.

"Hi Andre,

Just a little note: We are in Perth and help ppl who are immigrating with rental accommodations, including pick ups form airport and info booklets...

Please forward my details off to anyone interested to contact me PM on the forum...

Thank you

DemiK"

• 3 weeks later...
Its a great idea and I identified the same need in Brisbane for South Africans who are migrating or just coming to look and see.

*Removed by Host*

Let me know if you need help. I love to help out wherever I can.

Veronique

We may just take you up on that Veronique!! Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone..

Anyone done the meet and greet service for South Australia recently???? What is the accommodation like?? Any info would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

jmaggs

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a LSD trip for September to Adeliade and we have to book accom etc. Any suggestions on the nice places to see (and stay) in and around Adeliade ?

Are there an active group of saffers in Adelaide to meet for a flat white and a chat while we are there ?

thanks for the help in advance.

Ian

Hi Ian

I suggest you PM 'Dax' he is our resident host in Adelaide and I am sure he will set you right!

I have started something similar in Launceston. If you are flying into Northern Tasmania send me a PM. We have a good network in place in the north and can help any new arrivals with airport pick up, networking and getting through the first few weeks.

Edited by eugene roodt

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a LSD trip for September to Adeliade and we have to book accom etc. Any suggestions on the nice places to see (and stay) in and around Adeliade ?

Are there an active group of saffers in Adelaide to meet for a flat white and a chat while we are there ?

thanks for the help in advance.

Ian

Hi Ian

May be a good idea to post similar "request" on the Communities Forum - Adelaide SA

Let me know what type of accommodation you are looking for (price range etc) and number of people.

We will gladly meet with you for a flat white or a long black :thumbdown: during your visit. Also happy to help for one day as a tour guide, Adelaide Hills, Barossa Valley etc.

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

Hi Ian

May be a good idea to post similar "request" on the Communities Forum - Adelaide SA

Let me know what type of accommodation you are looking for (price range etc) and number of people.

We will gladly meet with you for a flat white or a long black :) during your visit. Also happy to help for one day as a tour guide, Adelaide Hills, Barossa Valley etc.

Enjoy!

Manny

Hi Manny,

I will go and post on the communities forum - thanks for the tip. It's just me and my wife coming over and we would like to stay in a self catering unit. Hotel food gets me after a while ... We will rent a cheapy to drive around in and see the place and me doing a few interviews etc.

And thanks for the tour gide offer, we will take you up on it - I will sponsor the flat whites/long blacks and make all the ooo's and aaah's about the beautiful places. Hope they are as nice as what you see on the web.

thanks for your time

cheers

Ian

• 4 months later...

Hier in Brisbane (Queensland) doen ek al vir 11 jaar lank "Meet & Greet". Asook menigte ander hulp : verblyf, werk soek, inburger, jy noem dit. Kontak my gerus op coertbotha@hotmail.com as julle weet van nuwelinge hier in Brisbane of in Queensland.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if such a "Meet and Greet" service is available in Melbourne? Will be arriving April 2011.

Thanks

Pete

Mara (one of the hosts) is probably the best person to ask..

I am also interested in knowing,just the idea of a friendly face waiting at the airport is so re-assuring.

Hope there is such a service! I would be willing to pay for it.. :ilikeit:

A