Meet 'n Greet Service

Ajay

Yes, I would love to meet with you when you're here. Dural is part of "The Hills" - my valley - so, it will be no problem to meet you somewhere and have a good chat. I do have kids and they attended Afrikaans schools in RSA. Will chat some more when you get here - if you have any Q's in the meantime - just ask! :ilikeit:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mara

• Ajay

• Constant

• starfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a million!

We're landing on the 19th and departing on the 28th (May), so we should be able to organise a get-together at a time that will suit you.

P.S. Hiring a car at the airport to drive through to Dural - is that a good idea for someone who does not know the area? (I am used to Jhb traffic)

Your hired car should come with a UBD Streetmap (ask when you book your car). That should get you to the Hills. When you book your accommodation in Dural, ask them for their UBD reference (a page number followed by a grid number) - then work your way from that to the airport (UBD Reference 275 D7) to get a sense of direction. In the front of your UBD Map book would be a layout of all the pages. There's basically two options of getting here from the airport: M1 through the city (views) or via the M5 & M7 around the city (quickest).

If you don't want to drive here, you can book an airport shuttle which cost on avg $49 per person to The Hills. They pick you up at the airport when your flight arrives and take you to the front door of your accommodation. You need to book them a day or two in advance - just do a search on the forum for "airport shuttle" to get details of the different operators. If you get stuck, shout...... :whome: (Alternatively you can just get a taxi - usually a few waiting at the airport for business - or you can phone one from the airport : 13 10 17)

PM me a week or so before you leave to remind me of your visit, and then we can set a date to meet. ;)

Hi Constant,

If you get together with Riekie over a weekend, then I ca also join in (I work fulltime ;) )

I also have kids (14 and 11 now) and although I'm not Afrikaans, I've been through the whole immigration thing as well. .

Let me know

Cheers

Ajay

Thanks indeed

(There are so many friendly people on this forum - it seems like I am saying thank you more than anything else!)

I will contact both of you again a little closer to the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ajay,

I think that is a brilliant idea !!!

When you arrive in a new country you find it very confusing so if someone is there to guide you it really helps.

Cheers

Candi

• 2 weeks later...

This is really a stunning idea! And maybe greet the newcomers with a little home-made infromation kit with all the "emergency" numbers and places.

I remember our first night in AKL! Luckily my parents came over a week before we did to assist and my dad was so kind as to follow-up everything we might need landing with an 18 month-old!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

Everything is set on our side - we are arriving on the 19th (Saturday) and staying until the 28th.

If you have a little time that we can maybe have a little coffee somewhere, we would love to talk to you.

We are staying at the Dural village and plan to explore especially Cherrybrook and vicinity.

Ajay also offered, but I thought I would ask you first - not just because you offered first, but because you also have (had?) the Afrikaans kids issue.

Best regards

Constant

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I think this is a brilliant idea...

Hubby and I have just started the immigration process, so we have a far way to go, but the idea of a friendly 'meet and greet' sound like loads less stress on landing...

So, should it happen, please let me know...

And should we end up in Sydney, I would love to be a part of the meet and greet team!!!

It would be really helpful to have 'friends' waiting, and a helping hand on advise, etc.

GREAT IDEA!!!!

Regards!

Lynnette

Hi there

Isn't it wonderful the way you guys go out of your way to make it less stressful for other hopefuls arriving in Australia ? I must say I have hope for humanity when I see how you guys offer help etc..... Would be interesting to know if other forums also have such nice people...

I know I would definitely make use of a meet and greet service when we finally make it to Australia. And will be willing to offer some help once we are settled.

A very good idea :D - pleace keep us updated on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Mara

Have you setup this service yet? My husband and I are thinking of coming over to Melbourne for an LSD trip. We are thinking of immigrating, but not 100% sure. So many things to think of and wondering if it will be the right thing to do.

Where do we start. I want to book our tickets, we want to go over end of Oct. this year and thinking of taking the kids with as well, cause they are 3 years and the other one will be 10 months in Oct.

Don't really want to leave the baby at home for 10 days....BUT don't know if it might be worse for us to take them with. (considering taking my parents with to baby sit, while we look around)

I need HELP, ..... sommer with everything...he,he :blink:

Mel

Hi Mel

Sorry I did not see your post this morning, but received your email and have replied to it!

Mara

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

I also think it is a fabulous idea - good thinking Riekie and Ajay !! I have been thinking of maybe starting up a "Newbie SA Mommy's" club. Having a baby in a foreign country is really difficult, and so I have thought of maybe starting up a little support network for these ladies. The help could start with an information piece on doctors, check-ups, prenatal classes, aqua-aerobics, etc continue through a little friendly pop-in at the hospital with a little flower when bubs is born and maybe even continue through things like moms-&-tots mornings, playgroups etc. Zana would have been my first victim, but as she got wind of my plans and is suddenly and very surprisingly moving outta State !! :whome: * can't say I blame her, obviously an intelligent gal :whome: * I will have to look elsewhere to see if there is even a need for something like this.

Another idea I have had is to organize a Newbie Coffee. Whenever there are enough Newbies to warrant an introduction, might be nice to invite them over to my house, as a group, with a couple of settled ladies as the guru's, for possible advice. It's nice to meet newbies when you are one yourself as you often share the same frustrations, anxieties and disorientations... :holy: I remember seeing something on the forum that Riekie was uploading (or not) a document (or did I dream this ??) which could be a fantastic supplement to hand out during such a gathering. I might even if you catch me in a charming mood stroll on over to Nando's / Spur / Spar / etc to hear if they don't want to help sponsor something in this line.

All just thoughts. But I really like the concept you have explained, sounds really nice and I am sure there is a need for it !!

Love

SS

:P

We had our first mums and baby get together on the Gold Coast today and was very successful..

good luck with yours

Heather

• 1 month later...

Hi Riekie,

Dinge is besig om hier by ons te ontwikkel, ek het werksaanbod en die 457 applikasie proses het begin. Die kantore sal in Chatswood wees. Ons druk om Februarie volgende jaar daar te wees. Ek beplan om tussen 10 en 15 November hierdie jaar te kom om die huur mark te bekyk en sommer ook bietjie navorsing oor winkels en kostes van dinge te bepaal. Hierdie navorsing sal bepaal wat ons gaan verskeep en wat sal ons maar daar koop. Ek sien almal verwys na die Hills area, ek dink maar om daar rond te kyk en afsprake met die agente te maak gedurende my November trip. Ek verwys na die "meet en greet" diens wat jy en Ajay voorgestel het, bestaan dit en as wel, wat is die koste daaraan verbonde? My seun is 4 jaar oud en 100% Afrikaans, ek sal meer inligting wil he oor kleuterskole en speelgroepe, nie net vir hom en die taal nie maar ook om my vrou te help om met mense te meng om haar te help om te settle. Kan jy asb. aandui waar ek met iemand daar meer oor algemene dinge kan gesels een dag gedurende my November trip?

Beste wense,

Gert :unsure:

Ons sal ongeveer einde Januarie in Sydney wees. Sal graag wil hoor hoe vorder die meet & greet planne.

Weet enige iemand waar ons vanaf 24 Januarie tot +- 8 Februarie teen 'n redelike prys in 'n gemeubeleerde tuise naby die CBD kan bly? Dit is net my vrou en ek. Ons sal dan permanente huurhuis soek gedurende die tyd. Die trek behoort teen middel Februarie daar te wees.

Dankie, ek waardeer julle terugvoering.

Please indicate what i need to do to meet someone in Sydney to assist in a few questions we have about settling in - this meet and greet service sounds fantastic, is there a cost involved? We will be coming to Sydney and this type of service will really add value - please respond. :ilikeit:

Hi Slingshot and Oppad

Sorry, but I don't think this idea went any further than an idea in Sydney. I know there is a meet and greet service in Perth, and there have been offers from the Brisbane people, we try our best in Melbourne. I may be completely wrong, but I do not think it has taken off in Sydney. Sorry......

You may try to PM the following member, if there is anything, she may know about it.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showuser=42

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mara

Thanks for the pointer. I will PM the user for more info. Once in Sydney one can start working with the hosts and try to see if it can work. We surely need to communicate with the other communities to get some advice.

Thanks anyway and enjoy the weekend. ;)

Etienne

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on a LSD trip with my father in law during the first week of December. We are going to Brisbane/Gold Coast. Any recommendations in terms of what we need to squeeze in during this short stay ? :(

Hi Johan

Depends what you are looking to do. PM me and we can meet personally.I have lived on the Gold Coast for 6 years.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I love the idae of a meet 'n greet service. :ilikeit:

Specailly for the wife and kids it would make a wonderfull experiance. I'v allready been in Brisbane and a few places in Oz and Tasmania but, for a wife going to the unknown with siblings seem to be harder than for the men. So' I'm all on it and when I'm setteld I would love to go and meet other newcomers and offer my help where I can.

I think a collum dedicated to new arrivals, names, date, time and flight numbers would be great!!

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anyone arriving in Perth

I would be happy to assist anybody with the meet'n greet at Perth Airport. It is very scary arriving in a new country and not knowing where to go. PM if you need my help.

Noele

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, I love the idae of a meet 'n greet service. :ilikeit:

Specailly for the wife and kids it would make a wonderfull experiance. I'v allready been in Brisbane and a few places in Oz and Tasmania but, for a wife going to the unknown with siblings seem to be harder than for the men. So' I'm all on it and when I'm setteld I would love to go and meet other newcomers and offer my help where I can.

I think a collum dedicated to new arrivals, names, date, time and flight numbers would be great!!

Martin

Hi Martin

Think its a great idea, I am also in Brisbane, not quite on my feet myself, but have a spare room for those in need when they arrive. Would love to help if it is needed. My Hubbie is an Aussie, and nows the country like the back of his hand, and would be able to give good advise. He can also advice on cars and anything that has wheels and knows his way around in that department. Will be glad to help out.

Steph

Hi there,

I also think it is a fabulous idea - good thinking Riekie and Ajay !! I have been thinking of maybe starting up a "Newbie SA Mommy's" club. Having a baby in a foreign country is really difficult, and so I have thought of maybe starting up a little support network for these ladies. The help could start with an information piece on doctors, check-ups, prenatal classes, aqua-aerobics, etc continue through a little friendly pop-in at the hospital with a little flower when bubs is born and maybe even continue through things like moms-&-tots mornings, playgroups etc. Zana would have been my first victim, but as she got wind of my plans and is suddenly and very surprisingly moving outta State !! :P * can't say I blame her, obviously an intelligent gal :blush: * I will have to look elsewhere to see if there is even a need for something like this.

Another idea I have had is to organize a Newbie Coffee. Whenever there are enough Newbies to warrant an introduction, might be nice to invite them over to my house, as a group, with a couple of settled ladies as the guru's, for possible advice. It's nice to meet newbies when you are one yourself as you often share the same frustrations, anxieties and disorientations... :D I remember seeing something on the forum that Riekie was uploading (or not) a document (or did I dream this ??) which could be a fantastic supplement to hand out during such a gathering. I might even if you catch me in a charming mood stroll on over to Nando's / Spur / Spar / etc to hear if they don't want to help sponsor something in this line.

All just thoughts. But I really like the concept you have explained, sounds really nice and I am sure there is a need for it !!

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Hi

I think its a stunning idea. Where are you living in Australia?

Hi Moegeploeg

Just thought I would let you know that SS is no longer a member on this forum, she lives in Sydney.