Meet 'n Greet Service

Ajay

A while ago, Riekie came up with the idea of a Meet 'n Greet service for new arrivers in Sydney - where we could meet ppl at the airport if required, help with some basics on arrival (pots and cutlery for example) and in general, just be around to support in those first few traumatic weeks. Obviously, we could only do this here in Sydney though. The more people we get interested in it, the more we'll be able to do. This was suggested in the early days of the forum though, and I think it was just the 2 of us that were around, so now that our membership numbers are up, it's a good time to throw it out there again.

There are two themes - firstly, if you are already in Sydney, would you like to help out, and secondly, if you are still in SA, do you think that there is value in something like this?

For those in other parts of the country, maybe you could consider something similar?

Let's get those ideas flowing!

Love

Ajay

And all credit to Riekie for thinking this up in the first place :ilikeit:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mara

• Ajay

• Constant

• starfish

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy set up and do the same in Melbourne! That is, if anybody is interested!

Guest colton

I think it's a great idea :ilikeit: From someone coming over it would be great to be able to get the few things necessary to live, kettle, etc. while you look around and get used to the stores. I think it would be good to have someone who knows the value of the rand and could advise you on whether the price is good or the quality is not so great, etc.

Once I have come over I would be happy to help out with the same thing that side. Once again a great idea!!!

This is a really good idea guys. Here in South Australia there is a scheme like this run by the government where someone will meet you at the airport, take you to furnished and fully equipped temporary accommodation which is provided at a nominal rent for 12 weeks, in a taxi paid for by the government. They will then take you shopping, help you register for Medicare, tax file numbers, open bank accounts etc. We made use of this service (which is free) and it was completely invaluable. It's just one less thing to worry about in an already very stressful process and it is certainly nice to feel so welcomed to your new adoptive country ... :ilikeit:

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi there,

I also think it is a fabulous idea - good thinking Riekie and Ajay !! I have been thinking of maybe starting up a "Newbie SA Mommy's" club. Having a baby in a foreign country is really difficult, and so I have thought of maybe starting up a little support network for these ladies. The help could start with an information piece on doctors, check-ups, prenatal classes, aqua-aerobics, etc continue through a little friendly pop-in at the hospital with a little flower when bubs is born and maybe even continue through things like moms-&-tots mornings, playgroups etc. Zana would have been my first victim, but as she got wind of my plans and is suddenly and very surprisingly moving outta State !! :ilikeit: * can't say I blame her, obviously an intelligent gal :ilikeit: * I will have to look elsewhere to see if there is even a need for something like this.

Another idea I have had is to organize a Newbie Coffee. Whenever there are enough Newbies to warrant an introduction, might be nice to invite them over to my house, as a group, with a couple of settled ladies as the guru's, for possible advice. It's nice to meet newbies when you are one yourself as you often share the same frustrations, anxieties and disorientations... :jester: I remember seeing something on the forum that Riekie was uploading (or not) a document (or did I dream this ??) which could be a fantastic supplement to hand out during such a gathering. I might even if you catch me in a charming mood stroll on over to Nando's / Spur / Spar / etc to hear if they don't want to help sponsor something in this line.

All just thoughts. But I really like the concept you have explained, sounds really nice and I am sure there is a need for it !!

Love

SS

:ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! My name is Helena, apparently my husband (Andro) has already registered on this forum, but I don't know how to go in under his name (blonde)!

I know Rieke has mailed him and answered some of his questions.

I have read a lot of the topics on the forum and think it's absalutely great!! You guy's go through so much trouble to help total strangers, (I admire that of you)!!

Anyway, enough of the soppy stuff :whome:

We are really only in the thinking stages of the whole immigrating thing, husband has his own business (financial planning & investments ) and I am a full time student (studying Equine Massaging ). Luckily it is through an international company based in US and they are based in Oz as well!!

We are planning a LSD trip to Oz in March next year. Will propably only have 3 weeks to see as much as we can. While reading Ajay & Riekie's idea about "helping" people that just migrated I got all excited. Putting myself in their shoes I would really appreciate it if people would help us if we were in just arriving in a new country with nothing! I can imagine it must be very tough!!

I must say, it really does sound like the land of milk and honey, and I know I shouldn't that that the grass is greener on the other side (or is it? haha).

But my husband and I are SICK of SA's voilence and everything that's going on!

Anway, hope to hear from you guys, have a nice day!

Greetings from SA (Rawsonville)

Helena :whome:

HI Helena,

Welcome to our community - I'm happy you've found ithelpful so far! ALthough we've managed to introduce the Coffee Club welcomes quite regularly, we still haven't really gotten much further with the whole Meet 'n Greet thing - formally, that it. I've "meeted and greeted" some people privately though, and if we're still not properly organised by the time you guys get over, I'd be happy to do the same if you're coming to Sydney!

Looking forward to seeing you around on the forum :ilikeit:

Love

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

Thank you! We will definately contact you when we're in Sydney, even if we can just drink a cup of coffee somewhere.

We're very excited about the whole trip and look forward to meeting all of you. Good luck with your starting of the club! You guys are doing a great job already just being there for so many people trying to relocate to Oz! You are all a buch of ANGELS :ilikeit:

Have a nice day! We'll chat again.

:ilikeit: Helena

Excellent - coffee it is. And probably a bit of cheesecake too :thumbdown:

See you soon!

Love

Ajay

• 1 month later...

Annette - I've read about this service that the South Australian state government provides, but have heard that it doesn't apply to people coming in on a skilled, sponsored visa (which is what we're doing). Do you know if this is the case or not ?

Regards,

Scott

Guest Bronwyn

Scott I'm pretty sure you will qualify for the services if you if you are Skilled, State Sponsored :stretcher: . Check out

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/services_meetgreet.php - There is a link to e-mail them and request the service, you must just give them your Visa approval number. They mailed us back in about 3 or 4 days.

I must tell you that the accommodation they offered isn't that cheap though...we were offered accommodation from between AUD100 to AUD180 per NIGHT. This was for a standard 2-bedroom apartment. As we have 3 kids we found our own accommodation for about AUD115 per night.

I do believe it is valuable to make use of the 'meet and greet' service though.

Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn

We're actually being sponsored by a relative - my wife's brother (who has lived in Adelaide for 6 years). I had heard that if sponsored by a relative, one doesn't qualify for the On Arrival Accommodation.

Thanks for the details though - I will email them and pose the question. Those rates sound rather high though - the same SA gov site quotes weekly rates of between $140 -$260.

I see that you will be heading off very soon - when in December are you actually leaving ?

Regards,

Scott

Hello all

Scott you are right you wont qulify for the "Meet and Greet" service offered by the Government in Adelaide if you have a sponsored visa.

We also have that kind of visa, my Brother in Law lives in NSW so will have to find furnished accomodation till our container arrives.

So far I havent had much luck.

We arrive 15th January 07.

Regards Tazz

Hi Tazz

My understanding is that I would still qualify for the Meet-and-Greet service, but not the On Arrival Accommodation service.

My sister-in-law (Lynne on this forum) is arriving in Adelaide on 15th Jan too, so hopefully you guys can meet up.

We're hoping to be there by mid 2008.

A while ago, Riekie came up with the idea of a Meet 'n Greet service for new arrivers in Sydney...

Hi Ajay, Riekie and other Sydneysiders,

I'll be in Sydney for 3 days, probably 17-19 March next year, would be great to meet you guys if you have the time. Will confirm nearer to the time.

Cheers

Charl

Excellent - coffee it is. And probably a bit of cheesecake too :P See you soon! Love Ajay

Did I hear cheesecake?! Count me in!! :hug:

We have friends visiting in March next year - don't have the dates yet, but I'd like to meet you (Newbies & LSD Trippers! :) ) If you contact either me or Ajay closer to the time, we can make arrangements to meet! <_<

Andro & HelenaG, I'll be more than happy to meet you once you arrived to show you around & introduce you to our circle of friends. Even helping out with a few odds & ends until your container arrives. I have an extra kettle, linen, crockery etc. etc - don't be shy, ask if you need help (and if I'm in a position to help, I will)! :D

Hi Riekie,

Dankie man, dis baie nice van jou! Dit gaan egter nie nou al nodig wees nie. Ons het besluit om ons LSD met 'n jaar of so uit te stel. Ons gaan eers Saterdag die konsultant sien om uit te vind vir watter visa ons moet aansoek doen. Dan moet ons eers met die proses begin!

Ons het gedink dit sal beter wees as ons eers die LSD doen nader aan die tyd. Ons sal julle defenitief op hoogte hou van hoe dinge gaan en wanneer ons dit beplan!

Mooi bly,

Helena G & Andro

Hi Tazz

My understanding is that I would still qualify for the Meet-and-Greet service, but not the On Arrival Accommodation service.

My sister-in-law (Lynne on this forum) is arriving in Adelaide on 15th Jan too, so hopefully you guys can meet up.

We're hoping to be there by mid 2008.

Looking forward to seeing you in ADL.

Re the Meet-and-Greet service...All that they will provide is a taxi ride from the airport and a basic orientation of where to find things.

Hi Everyone

We'll be on a trip in February and land in Brisbane 6.30 in the morning of the 7th Feb...if anyone is able to meet with as at any time during the first week that would be great to meet some people that side and go out or whatever that would be really great!?

Hi all Sydneysiders,

My mom and I will touch down in Sydney on Saturday 17 March at 10:30 - will be great if any of you guys have the time to meet us at the airport and maybe help us find our way to the city.

I'm still looking for a place to stay, thinking of close to the CBD as we will spend most of our time there. We'll probably drive out to the Hills on the Sunday. Monday I'll go for interviews in the CBD while my mom goes on retail therapy, before we head back to Brisbane the evening.

Thanks

Charl

• 1 month later...

HI AJAY

I THINK YOUR IDEA SOUNDS BRILLIANT!! WE ARE ARRIVING IN SYDNEY AT THE END OF THIS YEAR, MY HUSBAND WILL PROBABLY ARRIVE BEFORE US AND WITH THE LIST OF THINGS I WILL BE GIVING HIM TO DO, EG FIND HOUSE, ENROL THE KIDS AT SCHOOL, BUY A CAR...HE WILL DEFINATELY NEED SOME SUPPORT, EVEN IF JUST TO PICK UP THE PHONE AND ASK SOMEONE SOME ADVISE!!

ONCE WE ARE THERE, IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL TO MEET UP WITH ANY NEW ARRIVALS....SO PLEASE KEEP ME IN MIND

THANKS

ROBYN

Robyn,

O boy!

Not another poor hubby who gets a "list" of things to do by his missus. . . . . to think I was the only one????

I had to chuckle at that!

Without that list, he might forget to arrange for a house to live in and sit in a car to get him around!

Edited by Bob

Hi Charl,

Would be glad to help out! Just PM me with all your details and I'll make sure we are available to come and get you. I'll let you have my cell number as well.....

Just may have to make a BIG NOTE that we will be meeting you :ilikeit: Things tend to get a little hectic every now and again.

Groete

Tania

[Hi Bob

I promise you without the list, I dought he would even leave the pub!! We came over in August and stayed with my brother...who is a batchelor!! and I think that the most we say of Sydney was the pub below where my brother lives!!! We met allot of people so guess it did have some advantages.....unfortunately!! Luke will be staying with my brother when he arrives there...hence the list!!! Us wives know our husbands very well.....would love to be the one who comes over first but I just can't imagine my hubby alone on an aeroplane with two small children!!!

Robyn

• 2 months later...

Hi Ajay & Riekie

We are coming through to Sydney for a few days near the end of May.

I would dearly love to talk to some people that will be able to give us some advice and information as we are still trying to make up our minds on if we should make the move. (I am leaning to yes, but she is leaning to no)

I would especially like to talk to someone with kids (Afrikaans originally if possible)

I have accommodation (Dural) and am planning to get a car.

Can you help at all?