Jump to content
  • 0

New member with some questions :)



Hey everyone!


My name is Uli and I'm from Cape Town. I have recently decided to move back to Australia permanently, if possible.  When I first moved to Australia, I lived in Melbourne, specifically Brunswick. Loved the city, but I was on a Working Holiday Visa and needed to do the mandated 88 days of rural work. I moved to King Island and worked at the King Island Dairy cheese factory. Fantastic cheese and awesome little island! Seems like there were more cows than the estimated 1000 people on the island. I ended up liking the island even more than the city, so I staying there for just about 7 months before travelling Asia.


Since then, I've lived in London (didn't like it) and in Vietnam where I worked as an English teacher. I quite enjoy teaching, so I've decided to dedicate myself to that career. I am back in SA now and have applied to get my PGCE done through UNISA next year. This should have been done already but they completely screwed me last year due to the strikes.


Anyway, I've got a few question and would love to get some advice from you!


Does Australia recognise a PGCE from UNISA?

I have searched the forum but the threads only speak about degrees.


I currently have a B.Psych degree and can work as a counselor in South Africa. Counselling is on the Skilled Occupation list, so this is another option I have when applying, assuming that I would be recognised as a counselor in Australia too. Does anyone have experience with this?


Which option is best or could I apply more than once using the two different routes?


I also hold a German passport. Would it be easier applying with that passport or is there no difference? The Australian government seems to like Germans more as Germans are able to go over on the Working Holiday Visa.


As for points, I only have 65 at present (I turn 28 tomorrow, superior English, degree). That's assuming I would get a score of or higher than 8 in the IELTS test. I am fairly confident that I'll manage a score of 8 or above as I have taught some IELTS classes.

Is the test really that difficult??

I am unsure if they will see my years travelling and working as experience, so I just assumed I'd get a 0 for experience outside of Australia. I also assumed that the time spent working on my Working Holiday Visa doesn't count for anything.


Are 65 points enough to be successfully invited to immigrate to Australia? I understand that this depends on the job. After doing some research, I have found that teachers are in high demands. They were, supposedly, the third highest on the list of needed professionals. I am not sure how high up the ladder counselling is.


I am quite confused about the whole VATESSESS process? I understand this a skills assessment, but what exactly do you do?


Sorry for the long post!


Picture taken on King Island


Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hi Uli, 


Welcome to the forum!  It's awesome that you've already experieced Australia and want to come back.  


I cannot answer your questions but I know there will be someone who could at least explain some of the processes to you.  We also have a few amaxing migration agents who may be able to answer your question on the German vs South African application.  


With a skilled visa you generally require a certain qualification plus a number of years experience.  It's probably a good idea to find which Visa class you will be applying for and then get the skill requirements for that and how you must have your skills assessed.  


A few handy sites to get you started:










Good luck - hope you find your answers 😊





Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thanks a lot for your answer and I'll be sure to check out the links you've provided!

I also found out that being fluent in German may help me out. I'd have to do the NAATI para-professional interpreter or translator test. This would give me another 5 points as German counts as a community language.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi Uli


If you want to go over to Australia and teach, bare in mind that the different territories have different regulations.  Some territories accept certain documents whilst others do not.  Unfortunately the key is RESEARCH, RESEARCH and more RESEARCH.  I'm in the middle of a visa application now, but my husband is the main applicant.  I've made contact with Randstad, a recruitment company for teachers, and they are very helpful.  



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...