2016-09-21

Medical outcome positive

2016-10-04

Responded to CO

2016-11-11

Visa granted

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I knew this would happen.... since getting the visa I've planted the seed that we should maybe move sooner than Jan 2018.

So my wife tells me this morning that she thinks instead of going over for an activation trip before September and then moving in Jan 2018, we should rather go over in June and stay there and then come back for the wedding.  Watch this space, at this rate we'll be there in Jan 2017!

• Like 4

I like where this is going.

That's awesome!  We're hoping to go over at the end of next year, but my brother in law is getting married in 2018 so we'll probably have to do the same as you.  

• 1 month later...

Man oh man, the itch to leave is getting worse!

We actually had our minds set on going over in June until we saw what air fares would be to visit for the wedding on the 16th of Dec.  Depending on when you check it ranges between R50k and R100k for the three of us.  Paying for tickets that expensive when we are still finding our feet in a new country is too risky.  I guess it depends on how long it would take me to find a job and that is not something you can guarantee.  It seems like only going over in Jan 2018 is going to be the most logical decision.

• Like 1

Would the 2 sets of tickets be cheaper the other way around? As you would be flying at similar times anyway? or are you then buying a one way?

The most expensive time to travel anywhere in the world is in December, ticket prices could double from the normal prices. Regardless from where, or where to, you are flying!

If you live in the southern hemisphere, high season is also June July if you are flying to the northern hemisphere.

Best months to fly anywhere is Feb - May, but excludes the month in which Easter falls, either March or April.

Best months to fly anywhere is Sep - Nov, and sometimes starting mid to end August.

• Like 2

@wonderer if we go for a visa activation visit in June it will cost us less than R25k return.  Going in Jan 2018 means we can wait until the peak prices fall.  There is about a month window from the 11th of Dec until the 10th of Jan where the prices are insane.

@Mara I was expecting an increase, but checking a year in advance I didn't expect the prices to be x4.

Seems like your best bet would be to get your brother to move his wedding date out of silly season :P

Edited by wonderer
  • Like 2

Hey @ChrisH - we are also going to Brisbane. When I got flight quotes, return flights were not so bad, I think it was R50k vs R38k for a family of 4, and that was direct (well most direct, stopping via Sydney). When I looked at Emirates options, it was way cheaper. Even though Emirates is via Dubai, it is still only one stopover as there is a direct flight from Dubai to Brisbane. The only reason we didn't go for that option (and we have a 2 and a 3 year old!) is because we are stopping in Perth to spend over a week with my family there, then Perth to Brisbane (so SAA was the best option). You definitely wont need to pay 100k. I think affordable return flights for a family of 3 are definitely attainable.

Not trying to throw a spanner in your planning or tempt you haha...But it is really hard holding out for that long. We also just want to get started on getting jobs and careers restarted as soon as possible. We aren't getting any younger! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Activation trip booked for June!  With the current Qantas sale it worked out to R17800 for all 3 of us!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

Activation trip booked for June!  With the current Qantas sale it worked out to R17800 for all 3 of us!

Wow! Where did you book and what dates? if you don't mind me asking. We played around with dates around June and the cheapest we could get was R8700 pp. Unless your little one hardly pays for the ticket, our kids only gets R500 off the adult price.

@ChrisH - awesome. We are also going in June however found that SAA was the cheapest. We are flying from Durbs so I had to take that into consideration as Qantas only fly's from JHB. 

It is just a short activation trip for us and we will be visiting family in Brisbane.

Now it is just the count down to June. Once we get back, we will then start clearing out and selling stuff in preparation for our big move next year.

@wonderer, there is a Qantas sale running this week: http://www.qantas.com/za/en/promotions/companion-sale.html?int_cam=za:en:homepage-promotion:it-takes-2-to-save-to--australia:en:nn

My son is still under 2 years old so his fare is very low.  We're flying out on the 3rd of June and back on the 15th of June. Visiting my mate and his family in Brisbane and then spending two nights in Sydney on the way back.

11 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Tx, yes thats were we looked as well, maybe the kid's tickets makes the big difference.

• 1 month later...

This last week has brought up one massive question mark over our heads. Why wait any longer...

All of us with assets in ZAR have lost 10% on the dollar this week! My wife and I are now seriously considering not getting on the return flights when we go for our activation trip in June.

If it's meant to be we will find work and be in a position to come back for the wedding in December.  

• Like 8

I am also thinking along these lines. I think it was @RYLC that mentioned finding a job as a teacher (and probably most other jobs as well) being much easier in the second half of the year, rather than January. Well then, why wait to see out 2017 in RSA? 

Something good could happen to the rand in the meanwhile, but probably not :( 

• Like 1