My family

ChrisH

Hi guys,

So I've actually posted in a couple of threads, but haven't done an official introduction.

My wife and I (married for 5 years) recently had our lives changed forever with the birth of our son in May.  I've always toyed with the idea of emigration but it has never actually part of any plans until now.  I cannot stand the thought of my kids going through a hijacking or house breakin or some of the things you see in the news on a daily basis.  Don't even get me going on education.

I'm a Software Engineer with 12 years experience and my wife is an IT Project Manager with about 3 years experience (she was a BA before so the experience is mixed).

We're currently in the process of applying for our 189 Skilled Independent Visa based on my skill set.  I am re-writing the Pearson test this week hoping to achieve 70 or 80 points in total as my occupation code has recently been put on the pro-rata list and you now need 65 points minimum to apply.  I'm going through an agent for our application process.

If the Pearson test goes well this week we'll refile our EOI for the first round in August.  

Thanks for all the advise so far guys.  

• Like 5

I'm also a software engineer and recently completed the entire process, due move across to Oz at the end of the year. I first wrote IELTS and sucked at it. Wrote Pearson and aced it. It seems some people do well in the one and other in the other. If you have the cash to spare, I can suggest writing both if you are aiming for 20 visa points from English test.

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything.

• Like 1

Thanks @vitchie.  I'm sure I'll be fine this time round.  I scored full marks for everything except Speaking which I got 55% for so the entire test is technically failed. :mellow:

I've done some research and I think I was focusing to much on content trying to get all the facts in instead of actually just describing the basics.  They don't care about how much you could remember just that you understood what you've heard or are looking at and can recall it to somebody else.  I'm doing the gold preparation pack as well this time to ensure I never have to take this test again!

So I'm re-writing the Pearson today.  Did the Gold test pack and scored enough to get 20 points towards my 189.  Holding thumbs that I'll score similarly in the actual test today!

I'm still waiting for my Pearson results, the latest status is Delivery Successful - On hold.

I am ecstatic, full marks for my Pearson test which puts my 189 application up to 80 points!!! 

• Like 7

Congratulations Chris! All the best with the next steps ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the news, got our invitation to apply for 189 Skilled independent visa!

• Like 5

Congrats!

Congrats. Hoping for success going forward.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, @ChrisH.  It sounds as though our cases are quite similar, although my wife and I have not had any children yet.  We'll probably have our first in Australia.

In case it helps, we lodged our application with 80 points on 19 August, i.e. ten days ago.  I received the first communication about it today.  It basically just told us which processing centre had been assigned our case, and that more communication would be forthcoming.

Edited by Kevin
added point of clarification for posterity
  • Like 4

That's pretty quick, do you have your medicals and PCC sorted yet or do you still need to do it?

We wanted to have everything ready at lodgement time. So we allowed ourselves a bit of delay as we got our medicals done beforehand. Our PCCs were done quite a few months ago, which was actually sub-optimal timing.

One thing of which I was not aware is the need to complete form 80 for every applicant aged 16 or older.  When I discovered that most (or possibly all) people get asked for those, I decided to upload them in advance of first contact. I uploaded those a few days after lodging.

Hi @Kevin

Seems like we are also in a similar situation except i was waiting for our medicals before i lodged and paid but with the rand taking a knock like it has i decided to lodge and pay so now we have uploaded all the documents except for medicals which we have on Thursday morning.

So we pray our application is decision-ready and we dont have any further delays or requirements still...

PS. That Form 80 is a nightmare to complete!!! So much duplication as i am the 2nd applicant and also needed to do Form 1221 as well :( 

All the best to you both and i hope to read some good news soon ;) 

• Like 3