Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne in Feb 2016

Cole

Hi everyone,

I see Qantas is having a sale on their flights at the moment when you fly as a minimum of 2 pax return, very exciting since it covers the period we want to use to activate our visas - Feb 2016. You have to fly in and out of the same airport - we're travelling to Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne, and are considering flying in/out of Brisbane.

We're a family of 4 (kids are pretty well behaved for their age when it comes to sitting still and travelling but are young and I think the flight will be very long for them, they will be aged 3 1/2 and 5 when we travel). Our trip will be for 3-4 weeks, my husband will be job hunting in each region. We're considering flying into Brisbane, and spending a week or so in Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne and surrounds (my husband is in the cement industry). I'd like to make the trip as awesome for the kids as possible, so that they have a very positive view of Australia, and will hopefully be able to connect with other forumites and Australians for play dates, take the kids to the beach, see some kangaroos and koalas etc.

I thought it might be nice to make the trip a bit of an adventure for the kids, and try to see more of Australia than just the airports and cities per se. I thought we could fly in and out of Brisbane, and hire a car or camper van to do a road trip between Brisbane and Sydney, spend a few days there, and then hire another one again for the trip between Sydney and Melbourne, with each route taking 2-4 days so it's not rushed.

The other thing that struck me, is that if we hire a car/camper van and drive from one area to the next, will give my husband quite a bit of flexibility in terms of attending interviews and setting up appointments with recruiters if something comes up at the last minute as he won't be bound by flights.

My question is, do you recommend taking a road trip from one region to the next to see more of Oz and give the trip more of a holiday feel between the job hunting (our kids love camping and seeing new things, so I'm hoping will not travel badly considering their ages); or should we rather head to the airports and fly from one region to the next and save time? What are those routes like between the cities I've mentioned?

It seems a pity to miss out on the route unless it's just highway, roadworks and tollgates all the way (I haven't researched the routes yet because I didn't anticipate a flight special now, so I'm ignorant of the routes and am sure they're lovely with lots of beaches and interesting landscape along the way, but your guidance would be appreciated).

Edited by Weddingtog
  • Like 1

Hi Weddingtog,

I can recommend the camper van road trip, but please do your homework on distances beforehand. Australia is very big, and the distances between destinations can be deceptively far, so make sure you have enough time. We did the camper thing for our activation between Sydney and Brisbane and had a fabulous time. Also, if you have any appointments in Sydney or Brisbane, give yourself enough time to get lost in the city (and hopefully found again) before the appointed time... :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 2

First question: Qantas only flies to Sydney, starting from OR Tambo. So regardless of where you want to start you will enter and exit Aus via Sydney. They connect you on a domestic flight to Brisbane or Melbourne.

Regarding the road trip option: We loved it! In Jan 2014 we flew Jhb-Syd-Syd-Bris, spent two weeks with my aunt in Brissie, and then rented a car. We drove down to Sydney, with a stop over somewhere in between. The motel we booked was clean and neat. We spent half a week in Sydney, and then drove to Melbourne via Canberra. The roads were in good condition. I seem to remember a small section of road works, but nothing major, and not a serious inconvenience. I do have to warn you though, as a South African the speed limit might bother you. It's 90-110km/h, with most at 90km/h, and everybody sticks to it! This makes the usual rule of thumb 100km=1 hr travel time a bit optimistic, so just adjust accordingly. We weren't rushed, and the scenery was lovely, so we actually enjoyed the road trip immensely! I loved the fact that on the whole +2000km length of road not a single car 'sat on my *rse' and nobody got angry, and nobody swerved in front of me. There are also regular passing lanes for passing slower cars, at a safe speed, so you don't need to do the 160km/h-pass-of-a-large-truck that we do on the N1 from Jhb to the Cape every summer. Also, the trucks on Aussie roads are in good nick, and they also drive at the speed limit, so there is often no need to pass them.

We loved it and would recommend it. (We don't have kids though)

• Like 2

Roadtrips in Aus are super exciting for me... just be aware, Aus is big, so lots of driving, speed limit on highways sometimes 110km/h but usually 100km/h.

Even if you book to either Brisbane or Melbourne you will arrive in Aus via Sydney then connect again to whichever city you chose.

Maybe book to Sydney from Jhb. Spend some time in Sydney then get the campervan and drive to Melbourne via M1/A1 Princes Hwy, don't forget about the Great Ocean Road. Fly to Brisbane, spend some time there, when you are ready, drive back to Sydney via M1/A1 Pacific Hwy, then fly to Jhb...

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

And yes, as doggit says: Australia is humongous! So look up the distances between places or you might fall short at the end of the day. When we did the trip we got the recommendation that most towns along the way will have an Inn/Motel/BnB that would be able to accommodate us on a walk-in basis, so we shouldn't worry too much about booking ahead. But we're too paranoid/skeptical so what we ended up doing was to research the towns and find the places we wanted to stay based on reviews etc. So at least we knew where we wanted to stay, even if it wasn't booked ahead of time.

• Like 1

Hehe the speed limit won't bother us, we have a Discovery 1, max speed limit = 100 kms/hr when you're feeling ambitious :ilikeit:

I noticed that all flights land in Sydney and then have connections, thanks so much for the alternative route advice @Aneldari, I'll check it out! I'm so glad the idea of a road trip is so well received!

I checked Google maps for approximate durations of trips, have they calculated the trips in terms of local speed limits (I assume so?)

@Doggit I'm famous for getting lost and will defs have to allocate a lot of buffer time :-)

@RedPanda did you find accommodation via TripAdvisor, or other? And where do I look up how long a trip will take, if not Google maps? Now I'm really excited!!!

Edited by Weddingtog
  • Like 2

:D Hehehe...excited on your behalf!

We tried to use booking.com because we've had good experiences with it in Europe, but apparently it's not the best for Aussie? This part of trips is usually my husband's responsibility. But I'm sure other forumites have travelled Aus and sniffed out the good websites!

As far as I know Google maps uses the local speed limits, so that should be ok. And if the speed limit doesn't bother you, I'm sure you'll have a good time! We also stopped at tiny shops/cafés next to the road for snacks etc. My strongest impression of it was just that it's all so peaceful. And quite a bit of the landscape looks similar to the ones we're used to. We took some 'Freestate' photos near Canberra, and laughed at the reaction of family when we showed it to them. Oh, and Aussie roads tend to be a lot more winding than ours. I really liked it, and would do it again.

Oh, before I forget... AIRCON! Your car must have aircon.

• Like 1

If you do the camper thing, most towns have caravan parks of some sort with varying levels of facilities, including things like laundry facilities and wifi. We didn't plan much further than the following day, and sometimes changed plans at the last minute. The great thing in Australia is that as long as you have a smartphone it's easy to make a plan. The other thing to consider is that many national parks allow campers, some of them free or with a simple honesty box in more remote areas. We met some interesting characters in some of the caravan parks - permanent residents of a different type :-)

• Like 1

Considering you'll be there for 3-4 weeks, I think it's well worth getting temporary sims with data options. There are so many things that work on reliable apps that make life easier. I know the public transport app for Melbourne was amazing.

Oh, and while I'm reading your post again. We went to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary near Brisbane with my aunt and it was very enjoyable. They have koalas and loads of other 'locals', and 'roos that you can feed and pet.

• Like 1

Having lived in Sydney for nearly 7 years, may I suggest an absolute gem. Do yourselves a favour and stay in the Lane Cove national park. Is pretty much in the city, but feels remote. You can catch a bus outside the gates to the cbd in no time. They have cabins and pre erected tents, own tent camping, park your campervan, swimming pool, walks, a river with rowing boats, all sorts of nature info talks, etc. Check it out and book early.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/Lane-Cove-River-Tourist-Park-caravan-park

• Like 3

I know I'm going on about this, but look at this price for a family of 4 in Sydney per night, and what it includes.

"My first time camping: 4 persons (2 adults/2 children) daily: $90. Includes pre-erected tent furnished with a table, four chairs, two stretcher beds for adults and two stretchers for children. Linen, food and torch not provided. My first time camping is only valid for two adults and two children, and is not valid for four adults."

There is a fully equipped camp kitchen and laundry you can use. When we were there once, they had a portable pizza oven and was taking orders ( Fri or Sat nights).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Weddingtog - how has your planning come along? 

We are doing a similar trip in March with a 3 and 1 year old. Flying to melbourne, then Sydney and driving to Brisbane with a few stops along the way. 

Sydney  
Port Stephens/Nelsons Bay 2h30
Port Macquarie 2h41
Coffs Harbour 2h08
Byron Bay 3h00
Gold Coast 1h10
Brisbane 1h00

Just deciding where to stay in Sydney - CBD or outskirts - want it to be pleasant for kids. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have just arrived back from Oz. We flew Qantas to Sydney and stayed at Lane Cove National Park. We rented a cabin. It was amazing!  We made use of Discovery Vitality when booking Qantas as you can get discounts and we flew in to Sydney and a week later caught Qantas flight to Brisbane as part of the booking with Discovery. We hired a car and drove down to Gold Coast. Try Paradise Country to hold a Koala and meet kangaroos. It is one of the theme parks along with Sea World and Wet 'n Wild but much smaller and not as busy. We discussed the road trip but 2 of my 3 kids get car sick......and air sick....happy travels!

Never made it to Melbourne this time.

But be warned....the traffic in Sydney is something else. Avoid driving anywhere near the CBD and definitely NOT around peak time. Google maps took us on a route close to the CBD and it was 3:50pm.........rather slow going.

Lane Cove is near North Ryde train station which is also useful.

I have been told there is a wonderful train that runs from Sydney up to Brisbane and that is a wonderful experience. But that was from an acquaintance without any kids.

If you hire a car in Brisbane we found Apex to be the most reasonable.

Again, big thumbs up to Lane Cove!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Trying to decide.... 

After staying in Melbourne for 6 days and Syndey for 2 ... we're road tripping from Sydney to Brisbane... quite like the sound of the Gold Coast - however have a 3 years old and a 1 year old... SO

Staying in Post Stephens 1 night, then Coffs 1 night and then trying to decide whether to stay in Gold Coats or just power through to Brisbane??? 

My dilemma is that drive from coffs to brisbane will be too long for kids - but we'll also get over packing and unpacking and living out of a bag everyday? 

Any advice here would help. TIA

It is only around 83klms from Gold Coast to Brisbane, all highway, so I do not think it will make such a difference.

Depends on how long you want the kids in the car.  It is about 5 hours to Brisbane from Coffs and the highway along Gold Coast into Brisbane can be like a car park in the afternoon.

if you have the time spend a night at Byron Bay, it has a lovely beach and a very different atmosphere to Coffs.  If you decide to stop in Gold Coast then just try and avoid staying in Surfers Paradise (it gets very noisy as bogans, backpackers and bikies like Surfers and with little ones that can be problematic). I would suggest you stay in Coolongatta (first stop as you cross the NSW/QLD border, it is a bit sleepier than some of the towns further up the coast.

• Like 1

My eldest daughter (5) woke up this morning shouting with glee, "only 3 more sleeps until we fly to Australiaaaaaa!", before she and her sister (3) ran around the house whooping with glee! My husband and I feel the same - we're all fizzing with excitement and our bags are already packed - we land in Sydney on Sunday afternoon :-) We'll be staying in Darlinghurst while there.

We'll be in Sydney until Wednesday morning, and will fly to Brisbane for 5 days, staying in New Farm (I heard there are all sorts of lovely markets and the ferry etc is close - found a fabulous little place to stay via Airbnb).  From there, we're winging it and taking things as they come.  I definitely want to go to Byron Bay, and we're hoping to take a slow drive as far as time allows - Melbourne if possible.  If anyone is keen for a meet up, please let me know, we would love love love to connect with as many people as we can :D

See you soon! :-)

Nicole

AH SO EXCITING! 

We leave in 31 days time. Unfortunately having a bit of trouble finding accommodation in Gold Coast over Easter so we're going to have to go straight to Bris-vegas and do a day trip to GC.  

Keep us updated with your experiences. 

Weddingtog

Brisbane is beautiful. While you're there try and do the Explorer bus tour, it's a hop on hop off similar to Cape Town's red bus tours. It also includes a shorter trip to Mt Coot-Tha with a beautiful view of the city. You go past the botanical gardens, where you can get off. Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary where you can hold a koala and see wallabies and kangaroos. Drive out to  Tamborine Rainforest Skywalk We also went to the Glo Worm Caves a bit further but also in the vicinity. North Stradbroke Island is beautiful and you cross with a ferry.  On the Sunshine Coast its worthwhile to visit Montville and the Australian Zoo famous for Steve Irvin is on the way.

Hehe, as you can see I really enjoyed my visit.

Good luck and enjoy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

22 days to go! WOOP. Just booked a car from Apex as well. half the price compared to avis.