SA vs Aus: The Truth Please

WernerS

The one thing I am really looking forward to is not getting shafted twice for education and healthcare because that is what is killing us at the moment. We live just outside the catchment areas for decent government schools (There is too much gangsterism going on in the schools around us.) so we need to use a private school (Which also can't be arsed with things like grammar and spelling.) and we also need to pay for medical aid.

That extra R8k is the difference between being comfortable and struggling every month.

I'm going to add my 2 cents for the people who are reading this forum from back in SA would can't afford to get a visa out right and perhaps have an opportunity via a sponsorship. Not to discredit other people's observations. In fact those opinions will be more relevant to the highly educated people on here as that's the (rightly) vast majority of people who can emigrate.

The truth is definitely relative when comparing SA to AUS, depending on where you were on the very visible ladder in SA.

I come from a background of not much money. I'm the first to have a degree in my family. When I was between 10 and 15 years old my brother and I did most of the house, laundry and gardening work after my dad died suddenly. Not that we were very flush before that. Trips to the Eastern Transvaal were the furthest we went. We didn't know people who had been overseas before.

My perspective of Australia is that life is easier here. Much easier. You will never go hungry here. Most people live an excellent lifestyle. SA has a very uneven playing field where people in the white collar professions make way more than anybody else. That's not the case here. Here anybody that puts in a hard days work gets their fair share. And that's the reason why things seem expensive to a Saffa from the middle-upper class. My view is that it's as a first world reality. The way it should be. The labour landscape in South Africa is unique and cannot be compared to in my opinion.

This is true Steve-o but you'll be surprised how many South African's don't cope living in Australia because they like to be in the elite - and the only way that will happen is if they live in a country with a high level of poorly educated and poorly paid people. Pathetic really...

• 2 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 1:40 AM, AFreshStart said:

living as Australians, not South Africans living in Australia

Hey Matt - I know I am commenting on a pretty old post but I read this and I REALLY think this is the best attitude to have!

I can't wait to get there!!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2015 at 5:24 PM, Shellfish said:

This is true Steve-o but you'll be surprised how many South African's don't cope living in Australia because they like to be in the elite - and the only way that will happen is if they live in a country with a high level of poorly educated and poorly paid people.

As sad as this is, it is so true.

Nice post, very interesting.

While I was visiting South Africa at the beginning of the year I had a letter published in Business Day on this topic. See: www.businesslive.co.za/bd/opinion/letters/2017-01-09-letter-sa-far-behind-australia 

From a socioeconomic perspective Australia is in the front of the pack challenging US, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden. South Africa is fighting it out not to get the wooden spoon.  

In terms of education, Australia’s sandstone universities are all in the top one hundred. My old alma mater, Wits, battles to make it into the top 300.

It starts with good schooling. Both my kids went through public schools. My son has just completed 1st year IT and my daughter is completing her 1st year post grad MBA. She went to a performing arts school where weird hairstyles, piercings etc were all the rage but the uniform had to be immaculate. They did stuff in maths that I only learnt in 1st and 2nd year university.

Australia is a highly educated clever society playing in global market places. It’s not for the faint hearted.

Another topic that’s come up in this post is racism in Australia. I am Jewish and my grandparents came to South Africa from Eastern Europe to escape being raped and murdered in their villages. At university and workplace in South Africa I experienced active anti-semitism constantly. Even in the army fighting against Cubans, East Germans, Soviets and the odd Angolan I was told by my comrades in arms how the world would be better if it got rid of al Jews. My brother was set on by a gang of thugs at school who broke his collar bone. I have never experienced anything like that in Australia- in fact it’s a firing offence.

It’s wrong that everything is the same but different, in the beginning...

the shopping trolleys are wrong, an abomination actually.

all international sport is on at the wrong time

and finally...

it it is wrong that I have become a coffee snob and have developed an unhealthy caffeine dependency.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 4:01 PM, blung said:

it it is wrong that I have become a coffee snob and have developed an unhealthy caffeine dependency.

Inevitable when you live in Melbourne - I refer to my profile pic as evidence..

On 11/14/2017 at 7:01 PM, blung said:

the shopping trolleys are wrong, an abomination actually.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Still are!...:stretcher:

:lol:
Can't stop laughing at the last string of posts! Yes, if you live in Melbourne it's an environmental hazard that you will become a coffee snob, it's just inevitable. (unless you turn to some other hipster drink instead. But you'll acquire weird beverage habits...that have to be fed...)

Yes, the trollies are just...no.