SA vs Aus: The Truth Please

WernerS

This is purely for my benefit....

OK, I know what is "wrong" with SA and no, I don't know how to fix it and yes, this is why I am looking at leaving.

But can the expats please tell me what is "wrong" with Australia? In other words, I need the South African's perspective on everyday life and be honest please.

This will make for some very interesting reading...

Everyone's problem or definition of what is 'wrong' is going to be different and much of it is going to be regional vs national.

But since you asked, here are few of mine.

Regionally I oppose the proposed amalgamation of city councils. I think it's costly, and while it helps those who might be under serviced it places a lot more pressure on those that are already working at capacity.

I oppose the proposed WestConnex Highway, I think it's a waste of money and resources, both of which would be better spent in building supporting infrastructure in the Inner West around Paramatta and building a localized hub, much like they are doing with Green Square.

On a national level, immigration laws with regards to boat people/refuges, their detention and the conditions they are living under at Christmas Island is appalling. The new privacy laws that have been passed are in breach of basic human rights and I can't see the Australian people standing behind it, they have already been rather vocal and lawyers have offered services to those that are tried for whistleblowing.

I oppose Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett's descion to close 100 to 150 of the 274 aboriginal homelands in WA once federal funding ends at the end of the month. These homelands are a vital part of their culture and provide a much needed connection to the land and their heritage.

There you go, those are a few to get you started.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks Matt

Do any of the "issues" you have impact you directly? Do you foresee them having an impact in the future?

Interesting we also had "homelands" here and they were also done away with...does this mean that the Aborigines will now flock to the major centres and cause all kind of unwanted behaviour? (geez I hope I at least sound PC here)

One of the major differences between our homelands and the aboriginal homelands and the situation, is that the aborigines are now a small minority, as opposed to the majority that we had in South Africa. So although I also think that taking away their homelands is wrong, I don't think it has the potential for such a large effect on the rest of the country. (Which is probably why someone can propose doing it.)

Here is my question to those already living in Oz, as someone with a 189 Visa already, planning to move over in December...I often read on this site that while we might not have the same standard of living in Australia due to the high cost of living, and that life will be hard, at least we will be safe, our kids will have a future, etc etc. What exactly does this mean? Will we, for instance, be lucky to live close to the Australian poverty line even if we work our fingers to the bone? My husband and I have not yet built up those lasting household treasures, sentimental enough to fork R65k to ship over, so we were planning on selling or giving away everything we have except for the odd piece, and buy all new in Oz. But this seems to be, not frowned upon per say, but rather discouraged, because of the high cost of living in Oz? So will we be lucky to be able to buy beds again? To buy a TV, fridge, kettle? What is the salary that one will need to earn to be able to afford a house again, a car? I read that you should give up the idea of "entertaining", of eating out, of going to the movies? I am not discouraged by a hard life, I just want to know what that means? I understand it is subject to the salary you earn, of course, but if you were to earn for instance A$80 000 to 100k, how far would that get you? Lower Class? Middle Class? I am sure not upper class, but just how hard will life be for a family of 4 on an 80k to 100k salary?

• Like 1

I think city wide amalgamations may effect us directly in service delivery, only time will tell, and I guess is the concern of many.

WestConnex effects the landscape and the park near our home that we love, not to mention added air pollution etc and the associated costs of development, so yes.

Does the way Australia deals with boat people impact me directly, physically, no, emotionally yes, anyone who has compassion towards others is effected by it.

And yes, you are being un PC.

Aboriginal people are the original custodians of this land, their history is over 60,000 years old. Much like South Africa was colonized, so was Australia, tribes were uprooted, relocated and decimated.

Up until the late 1967 they were still classed under the floral and fauna, not Australian Citizens.

Much is being done to be more inclusive of both Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders, starting with acknowledging their traditional grounds, their culture and heritage.

There are also measures in place to find them employment and support through the Local Aboriginal Land Council, Aboriginal Health Services & Aboriginal Youth Service, many of which have offices just a few blocks down from where we live.

Abbots government wants to close down the traditional lands, cutting off support and basic needs like water, forcing them out and into the city to integrate them into Western culture, which I think is aweful in light of what they have already had to endure, the connection with their lands is vital to their history and culture, it should be a choice, not an ultimatum.

Aboriginals are a minority group, roughly 2.4% of the Australian population, so I doubt you'll see an 'uprising', which seems might be your fear.

Edited by AFreshStart

JEMS,

How long is a piece of string?

I understand the questions but the factors at play are vastly different state to state, city to city. We live in Sydney, it's one of the most expensive cities in the world. Rent is a killer, buying is near impossible without a substantial deposit and even then the prices rocket up daily.

We bought our 2-bedroom apartment close to the city for the costs that friends bought 100 acres of farm land complete with orchard, cattle and freestanding 3-bedroom house, 2 hours outside of the city.

You won't come close to replicating the material elements of the lifestyle you had in SA, not if you intend to buy, not here in Sydney, not in today's market.

The best way to get a basic gauge is to take your current SA salary, divide it by 5, that's what you'd need to maintain a similar quality of life, same house, car etc. So if you earned R1-million in South Africa, you'd need at least $200,000 here.

Bare in mind the national average household income is $75,000 a year and many get by on that, though not sure how in this city, you'd need at least $100,000 - $150,000 combined income for a family of 4 and even then that would leave you pressed here in the heart of Sydney.

RE eating out, great deals can be had, but you need to find them. I love Asian food and you can get amazing deals for under $10, but if you go and have fish on chips on the beach as a family of 4, that can easily cost you $50-$100.

Movies aren't too bad, $13 per person and if you join Optus for either you mobile or cell you can get $10 tickets through their rewards program, which often offers 2 for 1 specials etc.

We live a good life, we want for nothing, it's a simple life, but then we lived simply back in SA. We invested what funds we bought with us into buying our apartment and bought a single car for cash, we are debt free and are able to save a little each month, not much, but we weren't saving anything in South Africa, living month to month.

RE kitting out your home this end, we did, just brought beds and mattresses because they are crazy expensive here, bought the rest, a mix of new and old, largely IKEA, some stuff of FB groups and Gumtree.

You even find stuff offered free or on curb side pick-up. Australia is a bit of a throw away culture... our neighbours threw out their 50" flatscreen TV, fully working, only 2-years old, but they wanted a new one...

Hope that helps?

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

Thanks for your take on things Matt.

Just to help you out here, I don't "fear" an Aboriginal "uprising" ;) as you put it, I wanted to understand your view on it. Why are you so opposed to have them "lose" their homelands. Why do you prefer them staying there somewhere in the sticks in their reserves...

I see that you feel they would be better off on their own lands where they will be cared for and looked after. Do you think that they do not have the capacity to integrate into Western civilization?

So no, reading your answer that I was un-PC is a little unfair, I think. I merely wanted to know.

Thank you

Interesting we also had "homelands" here and they were also done away with...does this mean that the Aborigines will now flock to the major centres and cause all kind of unwanted behaviour? (geez I hope I at least sound PC here)

I'm sorry, but how can this be classified as being PC? You asked, I answered.

You're suggesting that the closure of historical homelands might cause indigenous people to cause 'all kinds of unwanted behaviour'? How is that PC? What would you consider unwanted behaviour?

If you want to learn more about their culture I suggest reading any of these books: The Koori Mail, Blood on the Wattle & The Biggest Estate on Earth, better yet when you get here, volunteer at your local Local Aboriginal Land Council, Aboriginal Health Services or Aboriginal Youth Service.

I don't prefer they 'stay in the sticks' as you put it, I believe they should have the CHOICE.

There are many Aboriginal people who go on to study at Western schools, universities etc and they have all the potential in the world to integrate into a Western culture, should they choose, but cutting off their access to basic human services and needs like water will force them off their land, that's not a choice.

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBMdS4t36c

Its a complex issue. The cosest group we have like this in RSA is the bushman. They were here first, happily living in peace, the European settlers arrived and through a series of truely atrocious acts and policies, during the last century, almost wiped them (and their language, culture, family structures,etc) off the face off the earth. Please take the time to watch the clip above. If you move to a city like Sydney, you will have virtually no exposure/interaction to Aboriginal Australians, unless you seek them out, and trust me they have zero interest in you. They should hardly influence a RSA to Aus immigration decision, besides respecting their status as first inhabitants.

The biggest difference (to me) living in Aus compared to RSA, is the lack of personal history. It literally does not have any footprints of me before Nov'08. I cant pop to the shops and bump into an old school friend or speak to an old neighbour who knows my family. Quite surreal. Apart from that, no complaints here.

• Like 1

I have noticed a serious concern about lifestyle adjustment from future immigrants, and I imagine it's hard to ask these questions without coming across as snobs. As a self-confessed intellectual snob I understand your concerns and will try be as honest as possible without judging you.

Australia has plenty "wrong" with it. There is definitely a drug epidemic (ice) that us middle-class folk don't see.this is of course a worldwide problem. Crime is on the increase but nowhere near SA proportions and comparing it to many other first world countries Australia is a very safe place to live. I leave my door open for my dog 90% of the time and never feel unsafe nor concerned about theft.

Financially...well...this is a bitter pill that dizzolves quickly. Yes Australia is expensive, even for Aussies, and starting out as an immigrant from a third world country will rock even the most fancy of financial boats,but with time you will be living a perfectly good life with (most) of the material things your heart desires.

The reason I say this is that if you have ambition and are a hard worker, there is nothing, NOTHING, stopping you from making a really good living in Australia. No laws preventing you from becoming doctor, owning a successful business ( or forcing you to share half of it with a partner)..the only thing standing in your way would be the limits of your own self. Many many immigrants have come here with nothing ( far less than many staffers come with) and have thrived. That's why Australia is the lucky country.

There will be sacrifices, you may have to start out living in a cheaper suburb, in a smaller house,renting for 10 years and shopping at target,but,these are hardly depressing compromises when you walk down the street to the local park with the Australian sun on your back,free from any worry about your personal and family safety.

100k a year is sufficient for a family of 4 if they in state schools and living in a modest suburb. A lot will depend on how you handle your money. That income will not put you on the breadline, but if you are a spendthrift you will struggle with that. Draw up a good budget and stick to it.I keep an eye on food prices in SA and for the most part you guys are paying near to what we pay! In some cases even more.so I reckon you will be fine. Remember a lot of the financial pain you will feel is temporary,in a few years you will look back and giggle about how "poor" you were when you first arrived.

I leave you with a little story about immigrants in Coles, looking at the blue cheese,feeling very depressed because $4 was just too expensive.6 years later that same immigrant dropped $40 at the local deli on 3 imported cheeses and 1 chorizo without batting an eyelid....it's all about priorities :)

• Like 6

If you move to a city like Sydney, you will have virtually no exposure/interaction to Aboriginal Australians, unless you seek them out, and trust me they have zero interest in you.

Rozelle, sorry, but I think that this is a rather broad sweeping statement. Our experience of living in Waterloo and neighboring Redfern would contradict it.

We have a fairly high concentration of families that would identify themselves as Aboriginal or of Torres Strait Islander descent here. I agree that they should hardly influence your immigration decision, but they are very much a part of our community here in our pocket of Sydney.

Redfern is home to The Block (not the TV show), which was purchased over a period of 30 years by the Aboriginal Housing Company (AHC) and represents a large part of their ownership and rights to the traditional grounds of the Gadi(gal) people, though while now vacant, still has rich heritage and stories, both good and bad. And what about suburbs like Blacktown, Campbelltown, Liverpool and Penrith?

Edited by AFreshStart

Elleneo,

Well put and a great voice to add to the conversation. As your shared it's all about priorities. I think a budget is crucial to survival here, more so than in South Africa where many people can be rather flippant about their spending, much of it I think is because they have options they don't have here. If they fall on hard times maybe they can lean on family, easily get a loan, dip into their bond or live on credit cards, often living beyond their means.

When you arrive all your wealth is converted to dollars and you realize how little that buys. Property wise and something WernerS can relate to being in Cape Town is that what buys you a small house over looking Camps Bay buys you a 2-bedroom 85-100m2 apartment in 'modest' suburb of Sydney. You want to live in Vaucluse (The Camps Bay of Sydney), no problem, you just need to have the R45+ million you need to buy a 3-4 bedroom house there, or at least the down payment and a job that can facilitate those repayments.

I think the first few years as your shared are about survival that quickly turns to thriving. I notice that transition in our own life over the past 8-months. That said I feel we have had an accelerated experience as we deliberately threw ourselves into assimilating into the culture here and living as Australians, not South Africans living in Australia. We have many Australian friends, we in fact only have 1 South African friend, almost all friends are Australian and embraced us as kin.

As I type my wife is our at coffee with one our Australian friends, my son has a friends birthday party tomorrow, we have friends in our home for a meal at least once a week and it's been a great way to integrate into the culture.

We bought a home, a car and set down roots in our community (as seen above my comments on our suburb). I volunteer at Church, run a local community garden, am available to assist at my son's school etc and so these allow me to be further knitted into the community fabric. We embrace free services like park, the local library and doing so again brings you into the community of others, what a wonderful experience.

It's hard starting from scratch, not having your savings to fall back on, taking risk and establishing yourself, planning for your retirement etc. The younger you are the better, as people like Mara have shared.

But I, like many others would do it again, no hesitation, we couldn't be happier to call Australia home.

• Like 1

I think Rozelle means people that by there appearance are aboriginal.

I have seen very very few aboriginal people in sydney and Melbourne.

People who " identify as aboriginal" and/ " identify with aboriginals" often look very Western in appearance and you have to be very careful not to offend as often you won't realise you are talking to someone who's grandad was aboriginal and they consider themselves aboriginal because if that.

In reality we are talking about 3% of the population. Yes, they are very much part of Australia and we are respectful of that, go to any legal meeting,court session,council meeting etc and the aboriginal owners will be recognised,mentioned and thanked on opening.

Again, 3% of the population, a small ( yes important) but a still a small part of Australia.

• Like 1

WernerS - everyday things that are wrong with Australia (that effect me personally) - the parking bays are generally too narrow, drivers not as courteous as SA drivers (this could just be a WA thing), hoons. I honestly cannot think of anything else...

Things that worry me, but are yet to effect me - drugs (but I'm sure this would be a worry for me in SA too as my boys approach teenagehood), WA mining boom bust (more specifically property prices).

JEMS - we have a much better standard of living here than we did in SA. It wasn't easy in the beginning, but even during our worst periods, we never felt we were doing without. We didn't have an extravagant lifestyle in SA and neither do we have one here, but from a material side of things, we now have more in Oz and most certainly have more in terms of safety etc etc etc. As stated before, careful budgeting and time will see you through.

Having lived in remote Australia where the Aboriginal population was more than 50%, I have witnessed and very much experienced the "unwanted behaviour" you were talking about WernerS - so I understand your concerns.

Having also worked for an Aboriginal corporation, in the finance department, I have also seen, first hand, the government aid and the end results and/or destruction of said aid. So, I can also see where the government is coming from.

It is indeed a complex situation.

Hi there,

Just thought I'd drop something in re the aboriginal communities closings in WA. Collin Barnett is not "taking their homelands away" and he's not going to removing people from them by force. What he is doing is stopping government funding for them. Many of these communities rely almost entirely on welfare. Social issues, domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse are rampant in them. It's no coincidence The Northern Territory has the highest murder rate per capita in Aus, followed by the WA in second place - violent crime and murders in rural communities are a big contributor to these statistics. This isn't racist, it's fact.

The WA government's position is they cannot sustain these "handouts". People in them will need to adjust to being self sustainable or move. Yes these people suffered injustice when the colonials invaded their land back in the day, but the modern day government has it's own issues to deal with and have to make hard economics based decisions. I for one support that.

Back to the topic....

Werner for me increasing congestion, ever increasing cost of living, the global economy and it's impact on Aus, why my favorite coffee place just closed down and when I qualify to upgrade to the new iPhone 6 is what keeps me awake at the moment in Aus. OK, I'm probably coming across as a bit facetious but the point is they're pretty much first world problems. Unlike when I live in RSA the things that don't bother me are that I don't have to worry about getting killed every night I go to bed, the government has its problems but are broadly competent, service delivery is effective (the pot hole that formed on one of the roads I drive to work this week was fixed by that same afternoon) and even though the economy is slow if I get fed up with my job my next steps are limited only by my own potential.

z

Edited by zetman
  • Like 1

The WA government's position is they cannot sustain these "handouts". People in them will need to adjust to being self sustainable or move. Yes these people suffered injustice when the colonials invaded their land back in the day, but the modern day government has it's own issues to deal with and have to make hard economics based decisions. I for one support that.

Zetman,

It's very easy to say that when you're not a minority.

Should the ANC take the same approach to the Afrikaners? I mean they are the modern day government and have their own issues to deal with and represent the majority in South Africa. Why should government be paying for the preservation of Afrikaner culture? They should ban the language in schools, the state surely shouldn't subsidize any Afrikaans schools, it's not fiscally responsible or viable. They should start teaching African languages in schools and phase out Afrikaans altogether. While they are at it let them continue to tear down statues, monuments and stop funding heritage sites, or better yet just round up all the Afrikaners and send them to Orania or give them an alternative, come work in the city doing menial jobs and provide employment opportunities as cheap informal labour, much like they did for centuries. Then lets see how many Afrikaners, out of desperation, loss of identity and culture don't turn to drugs, alcohol and crime as they find themselves poverty stricken. It's not racist, it's fact.

Again, it's easy when you're not a minority right?

But yes, back to the topic...

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 2

I was going to comment on the difference in chocolate and the difficulty in getting niknaks, but I think I will just stay quiet......

Joking aside, the grass is not necessarily greener or browner on the other side of the fence, it's just different grass. Most of our problems are pretty first world. After the cost of moving, it will be a long time before we can afford a holiday. But we live 5 minutes from the beach, an hour from the mountains, with loads of parks nearby. Cost of living is high, but you compromise - I buy nightwear at Target, but my sheets from Adairs.

I feel safe at night. We have a family life. My children have freedom and a future. We both have jobs. We have a lovely home, with far too many pets. Actually, we had a lovely home until the dog chewed everything.....

Yes, there are issues. And hats off to the people who have got to grips with those issues so quickly. I am still floundering a bit, but am quite happy to tread water for a bit more before developing a political stance.

The issues mean a lot to some. I was recently told by an Australian that Australian politicians were just the worst anywhere in the world!! Honestly, I nearly ruptured something trying not to laugh!! I guess it all depends upon your perspective.

• Like 2

Matt, your reaction to the issue is a bit disappointing. Why are you so vehemently attacking innocent statements? I asked a question; one of many I still have; and now it seems that you have made it your personal crusade to champion this whole Aboriginal issue. That said, yes, the white South African is in the minority. Yes the ZANC is tearing down monuments, abolishing religion in schools, deleting our heritage from the history books, and it goes on and on. But we are still South Africas tax base whereas the Aborigines propably do not contribute proportionally. To everyone else who gave me some day to day insights thank yoy

• Like 2

Back on the topic....

Childcare is ridiculously expensive.

Holidays in Australia expensive ( but that means more overseas holidays..yay )

Houses are very expensive ( unless u live far out of the city)

It's very hard to find a good hairdresser.

Estate agents are horrible sharks.

Landlords are horrible sharks.

Eating out is expensive and often disappointing.

Dogs are expensive!

Edited by elleneo
  • Like 5

Mine are generally the same as Elleneo's:

Private schools are expensive and if you want religious education you have to pay for it (where as in the UK it was free - my kids didn't go to school in South Africa)

Housing is expensive, we were okay with renting but had to move twice in two years so we bought, which is fine if interest rates stay low but we are worried about what will happen when they go up!

Holidays are expensive and weirdly priced - We paid $268 for one night in a luxury hotel in the city for bed, breakfast for five of us and valet parking. We've paid around the same price for one night in a caravan in Bright.

Flights are so expensive that we can't afford to go visit our family in South Africa. My husband and two older girls are going in September while I'm staying home with the youngest and even that cost over $5000.

Cats are expensive haha!

Eating out is expensive especially with three kids, holiday entertainment is expensive.

Okay my gripe is that everything is expensive!

But I don't work yet so these will be alleviated a bit once my youngest goes to school and I can bring in some money. Actually we're not doing too bad on one salary!

• Like 1

OK, so things are expensive and what I gather is the following:

Houses and housing related such as rent (unless you move further from the metros )

What about vehicles?

And what? Cats & dogs? Are you being serious? Or is it the cost of ownership? I am looking for an excuse to leave the Yorkie (its getting more attention that I :angry2:)

But people, from what I have seen from the comments so far is that all you expats are a bunch of sissies!!! Some, like Matt, even have to dig very deep to complain about something (still love you mate :P)

Keep the comments coming please

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WernerS, not sure what the sissie comment is for. Until you have walked in our shoes be careful of branding us sissies.

I agree with Elleneo and Sibella, it is very expensive and that is very hard to deal with when you haven't really had to budget before.

Biggest gripes:

1. you have to have a budget or else an impulsive splurge can cause pain when you $700 gas or electricity bill (for a quarter) arrives.

2. Buying a home is difficult even if you can afford it. It is a whole different ball game to SA if you live in Melbourne or Sydney - we bought in Melbourne. It's not just the cost its the intense competition. One of the most stressful experiences.

3. We as a family of 4 struggle to afford overseas holidays and limit our local holidays. We are not great campers... but we like the fact that when we do camp the facilities are generally pretty great.

4. Coles and Woolies are a rip off. I've become a market fan (not only due to price but also the quality is better and lasts longer) I only get dry goods and cleaning stuff from the super market. Market shopping is also less stressful.

5. Parking in the city is very expensive. If I wanted a car park in my building it would cost $800 per month. So we made a point of living close to public transport and I take the train - no traffic jams and I read the paper before getting to work.

6. Hairdressers are plentiful but most are rubbish. So I pay more but have a low maintenance hair style.

7. Cars - not sure what you want to know about cars. Pricing is about the same. Servicing costs depends on the car. One of our cars is a Tiguan. A service recently cost $400 at VW. fuel is currently around $1.34 a litre (taking the train I only fill up my diesel once a month or so, so I'm not so on top of fuel prices as I used to be).

8. Pets are expensive. A mutt or a rescue or pound dog costs about $500. A pedigreed dog $1400 to $5000 or more. Dog health insurance is $500 per annum. Vets are very pricey, they charge as much as the doctors but there is no medicare for pets (your dog health insurance doesn't cover vaccinations, deworming or general vet stuff). A bag of dog food costs between $25 and $45 a bag and that is for a small 3kg bag. Our pug eats 1 bag of Blackhawk ($25) every 3 to 4 weeks.

If you are looking for issues around racism or violence or drugs, yes all exist. We haven't been affected for which I am very greatful. Choose your neighbourhood carefully. There was a program on SBS about Mt Druett in Sydney. If you want to see how the other side live you can watch that. That for me showed what i believe the consequences of long term social welfare are. Australia's biggest issue is the dependancy on social welfare by so many. The government has to cut back on the handouts - won't happen as these are also the swing voters that our pollies have to get onsides.

We have had a home invasion - it was 3 weeks after moving into our first rental. We lived in a good area. It was opportunistic. The police responded really fast and the guys were convicted. No jail time but 300 hours community service - if they do it again they will get jail time.

• Like 2

I am looking for an excuse to leave the Yorkie (its getting more attention that I :angry2:)

But people, from what I have seen from the comments so far is that all you expats are a bunch of sissies!!! Some, like Matt, even have to dig very deep to complain about something (still love you mate :P)

Keep the comments coming please

WernerS, with your charming demeanor is it any wonder the Yorkie is getting more attention? ?

DBX2OZ, Elleneo, Sibella, Sunnyskies, thank you for your input, it's really helped a 'sissie' like me see that many of us share the same struggles and fears, that we are not alone and that many of the anxieties we face are temporal and that we can all hope to over come them.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

Okay guys,

Let's pick up the toys. :jester: :jester: Just ribbing ya'all. Okay Matt, hmm.

• Texting while driving is a national sport (yeah not just in Aus I know)
  • It is expensive here, to own a house I am going to have to stretch myself a little.
  • Ice/tik/crack/whatever is out of control. WA peed their boom money into the wind, thanks Barney! Went from $3billion debt in 2008 to $36 billion.
  • I still CANNOT fathom how its cheapers to fly to Bali than to Brisbane, does my bloody head in!
  • Umm, err, Perth drivers cant merge or stay in lanes on roundabouts.

Thats about it!

I love Aus. :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 3