It starts!

mistermoose

It's definitely calling me, like a watery siren from afar! I'm doing everything I can to answer :)

Hope your plans are coming together nicely too, @Chips!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mistermoose said:

It's definitely calling me, like a watery siren from afar! I'm doing everything I can to answer :)

Slowly but surely things are coming into place thank you.

4 hours ago, mistermoose said:

When you get here,  take a trip along Parramatta road during peak traffic. You might just hear the South African sirens calling while you wait in the carpark they call a road.  :wacko: 

But at least they don't rob you while you are parked on the main road..  And if they did,  seven news would be all over that.  They would make your isolated case sound like a crime wave.  Nothing happens here,  so nobody watches the news.. Seven News have to boost ratings somehow. 

18 hours ago, mistermoose said:

What a crazy, amazing, astounding, beautiful week it's been.

and we've just signed the offer to purchase an hour or so ago.

they want to buy as much of our furniture as possible (discussing prices now),

only too happy to keep our two kitties here in the home they know

The future is happening right now.

Wow - just wow!

So happy that you are being showered in Blessings!

It certainly has all fallen in place for you in the last few weeks - those planets must have lingered in alignment a little longer just for you :ilikeit: 

• Like 1

Thanks, Em! Have set our speed to full steam ahead. Can't wait to move now :)

Job hunt still in full swing. Just need ONE yes.

• 1 month later...

I had really been looking forward to posting this update, but the universe must have something much more exciting in store for me, because it's turned out to be bad news instead of good.

Two weeks ago, I signed an offer of employment at one of the best news organisations in the world. The role itself was amazing and suited my experience and expertise perfectly. Since then, we've been agreeing on dates and making travel arrangements, until the 190 visa status was highlighted as an issue. I was happy to contact my sponsoring state (SA), who were very kind in their reply, and put in writing their support of me taking the job on offer if the only choice was between no job in SA or a job in NSW. I sent this through to the company and they seemed more than satisfied. Until today, when they gave me a call to confirm that they were unfortunately forced to withdraw the offer after receiving legal advice not to proceed. So even though there isn't a legal obligation for me to live in the sponsoring state, and even though the sponsoring state put in writing their support of my move, and even though none of this should be of any concern to the employer per se, they have now withdrawn the offer. And the job search starts from scratch. Again.

Before this, there had been 2 opportunities that were very close to written offers, but this one was the first in 9 months of solid searching that had panned out. Until today. Imagine if I had resigned already, which I had only planned to do next week. Something told me to have the booked flight to Sydney (which they kindly offered to pay for, along with the first week's accommodation) before resigning. I guess it really was too good to be true.

Many people on forums have said (and DIBP itself confirms it on their site) that, when checking the visa status, if the employer sees 'permanent resident', there's nothing else for them to be concerned with (or about). I just happened to find a company who was concerned - with a head office outside of Australia - and who chose to err on the side of caution. I really believe that things work out the way they should, though, and clearly this job was not for me.

But it leaves me wondering whether I'll ever get to Australia. As I sit here now, I don't see it happening. There is quite literally 1 job in the digital field (which is very broad, and not all digital jobs are relevant to me) in Adelaide for every 50-100 in Sydney and Melbourne posted on job boards (Seek, Indeed and LinkedIn) every day. I just did a search now and there were 4 jobs in the last 14 days posted on Seek, not one of which are vaguely related to the work I do, even though it's in the same industry. I don't think it's worth applying to anywhere outside of Adelaide again, because I might find myself in the same 190 position with an employer again. In which case, it could genuinely take another 2 or 3 years before I manage to land a job. If I'm lucky. The irony is that I've just heard back from a job in Sydney that I've been shortlisted for. I'll see where it goes, but if I'm not selected, I won't be applying outside of Adelaide again.

The other reason for me not posting was that my golden retriever, my beautiful 4 year old best friend who slept on my bed at night and followed me everywhere, had an epileptic fit and drowned in our pool. This news I received by phone three days after the job offer. It's been so hard not having her with me. She had her microchip all set and her rabies test will be arriving back in a couple of weeks. When I heard the news I thought to myself that I'd swap the new job offer in Sydney to have her back. I really would've. And now they're both gone.

So as always, for every up, there is usually a down. This month has just been very difficult with one enormous down, and a very unfriendly reality check. 

Edited by mistermoose

Hi @mistermoose,

When they say immigrating is all about highs and lows they do really hit the nail on the head. I'm so sorry to hear all of the above, terrible string of bad news, not only the perfect job not panning out because of a technicality but the terrible news about your beloved doggy. My thoughts are with you and I know there will be some good news soon! Rest in peace golden friend!

Edited by Moose2014
  • Like 1

Hi @mistermoose I feel for you, especially about the passing of your furry friend, that is heart breaking... been through that as well... not good!

I would not give up on a job outside of Adelaide, you already have state permission to accept a job elsewhere and honestly, this is the first time I have heard of a company worrying about the said situation... my guess is that it was perhaps an American company? Great chance there lawyer reference was not from an Australian lawyer....

Just keep searching, it will happen...

• Like 1

Hi Mr Moose, I am so very sorry to hear that your dog died. It is heartbreaking when your beloved pet who you consider to be part of the family is no longer with you. Animals are a great joy in our lives that give us comfort and unconditional love , and are quite happy with a tummy rub.

As for the job front I am a great believer in things happening for a reason. At times we may think that we have been hard done by, but when looking back we find out we missed a bullet and this job was not for you. Where one door closes another opens and so be a little patient and the right job will come along.

My husband also applied for jobs from South Africa and had all of interest at one point we thought they would make an offer and we would be on our way, but unfortunately not. He did get a job eventually and now he is working for a firm that is just the right fit for him. Don't get despondent just keep trying, sometimes the miracle happens when were just about to quit.?

Edited by Guest

I'm so sorry to hear re your dog and also the job. Don't give up! Hopefully the perfect job will come along soon. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moose2014 said:

Hi @mistermoose,

When they say immigrating is all about highs and lows they do really hit the nail on the head. I'm so sorry to hear all of the above, terrible string of bad news, not only the perfect job not panning out because of a technicality but the terrible news about your beloved doggy. My thoughts are with you and I know there will be some good news soon! Rest in peace golden friend!

Thank you, fellow Moose. I'm sure she's running free somewhere and loving it like crazy. I just wish it was down here with me.

10 hours ago, Mara said:

Hi @mistermoose I feel for you, especially about the passing of your furry friend, that is heart breaking... been through that as well... not good!

I would not give up on a job outside of Adelaide, you already have state permission to accept a job elsewhere and honestly, this is the first time I have heard of a company worrying about the said situation... my guess is that it was perhaps an American company? Great chance there lawyer reference was not from an Australian lawyer....

Just keep searching, it will happen...

It's a horrible pain to work through, but thanks for the chin up, Mara! The head office situation probably did complicate matters, but I'm already back in the saddle, job-wise, and applying for more. I may be opening myself up to more potential rejections, but I can't really stop trying now...

9 hours ago, emmayenkanna said:

Hi Mr Moose, I am so very sorry to hear that your dog died. It is heartbreaking when your beloved pet who you consider to be part of the family is no longer with you. Animals are a great joy in our lives that give us comfort and unconditional love , and are quite happy with a tummy rub.

As for the job front I am a great believer in things happening for a reason. At times we may think that we have been hard done by, but when looking back we find out we missed a bullet and this job was not for you. Where one door closes another opens and so be a little patient and the right job will come along.

My husband also applied for jobs from South Africa and had all of interest at one point we thought they would make an offer and we would be on our way, but unfortunately not. He did get a job eventually and now he is working for a firm that is just the right fit for him. Don't get despondent just keep trying, sometimes the miracle happens when were just about to quit.?

Thanks, Emma. She was such a ray of sunshine - even me just waking up in the morning would send her spinning and jumping in excitement. She knew all the small routines, like when I'd get changed, when I'd make lunch, and she was there whenever I turned around to do something. And all she wanted in return was love, a throw of a ball, and food. She had an amazing heart and spirit, which is why the whole house feels so empty now. I'm actually grateful to have sold this place already. I can barely even look at our pool anymore. And all the rooms are so empty. Anywayyyyyy.

Agree with everything you said about the job search. The universe never gets it wrong. It's just sometimes damn inconvenient and disappointing and confusing at the time. I'm going to carry on searching and applying. Let's see what the 'yes' is that's waiting after all these 'no's'.

6 hours ago, SML said:

I'm so sorry to hear re your dog and also the job. Don't give up! Hopefully the perfect job will come along soon. 

High five, SML. Appreciate it!

6 hours ago, Shellfish said:

So sorry for both losses :(

6 hours ago, DXB2OZ said:

So sorry to hear your devastating news

Thank you guys. It's been rough. There are worse problems out there, but relative to me and my life, the last couple of weeks have been super high and terribly low. Now it's time to pick myself up, dust myself off, and carry on in the general direction of this journey.

Mistermoose,

I'm sorry to read of both your loses, particularly of your four-legged friend, I can't begin to imagine the loss you feel.

Matt

• Like 1

Heartbreaking news :(

We're still reeling from the loss of our furry purries six months ago,  so can understand what a hole there must be in your life right now....... 

One thing this emigration process has taught me is the power of resilience and perseverance.  The job search can be frustrating and even demoralising. However your 'yes' and right employer is out there.

Raising a glass to special pets and to great future prospects........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AFreshStart said:

Mistermoose,

I'm sorry to read of both your loses, particularly of your four-legged friend, I can't begin to imagine the loss you feel.

Matt

Thanks Matt. If only we had periscopes that could see around corners, hey? That wouldn't change the things that come our way, but at least we'd be prepared for them.

59 minutes ago, EmNew said:

Heartbreaking news :(

We're still reeling from the loss of our furry purries six months ago,  so can understand what a hole there must be in your life right now....... 

One thing this emigration process has taught me is the power of resilience and perseverance.  The job search can be frustrating and even demoralising. However your 'yes' and right employer is out there.

Raising a glass to special pets and to great future prospects........

So sorry you went through the same thing, Em. But thank you for the belief and encouragement. It helps a lot.

So sorry mistermoose hope some good news job wise will come your way soonest you definitely need that to cheer you especially after your dog. Hugs and kisses 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chips said:

So sorry mistermoose hope some good news job wise will come your way soonest you definitely need that to cheer you especially after your dog. Hugs and kisses 

Thank you for the hugs, Chips ... I feel like I need them this weekend :stretcher:

As far as the job goes, although it would've been an amazing role, what's really getting to me most right now is the fact that it may be months and months and months before I get offered something else. The house is already sold, we have to be out by 1 June, and everything in my head was already resolved. I had a plan. I had already mentally resigned and just needed to make it official with management next week. I've already checked out, of this house, of my job, of South Africa. For all intents and purposes, I'm actually in Australia already. But now, I'm not. It's like telling an astronaut the night before takeoff to Mars that they're going with someone else and he can just, I dunno, go back to the canteen and carry on doing paperwork for another 3 years until the next Mars mission comes along.

Edited by mistermoose

Hi, Mistermoose,

considering what Mara has said, and that you already have permission in writing, if I were you, I would now be applying for those jobs in Sydney and Melbourne! Anything to increase your chances of hearing that final "yes".

Lots of "sterkte" with this difficult time for you.

• Like 1

Aw Mistermoose. I'm so sorry about the furry friend, and also the job. It was so close..... don't give up.

• Like 1

On 2016/03/30 at 10:01 PM, RedPanda said:

Hi, Mistermoose,

considering what Mara has said, and that you already have permission in writing, if I were you, I would now be applying for those jobs in Sydney and Melbourne! Anything to increase your chances of hearing that final "yes".

Lots of "sterkte" with this difficult time for you.

I like your thinking, Panda. I actually put together an evidence pack for the potential employer, that shows even the state itself said that the 190 visa allows me to live and work anywhere in Australia. Their lawyers are seriously misinformed. So the search continues!

On 2016/03/30 at 10:49 PM, Mel-B said:

Aw Mistermoose. I'm so sorry about the furry friend, and also the job. It was so close..... don't give up.

Thanks Mel. My best friend is still the biggest hole in my life right now.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi @mistermoose

Only read your journal for the first time now and was wondering whether there has been any progress on a job? Have you thought of making the move regardless?

Sorry about your golden girl. We have a golden boy and I cannot imagine losing him.

Take care x

• Like 1

Hi @Husky. Thanks so much for the note :)

I still miss Lula so much. Just this morning, I saw an old photo of her on an old phone I still have. It feels like she's still here, just in another room, waiting for me to open the door so she can come rushing in, wagging her crazy tail, and ready to play. It's hard knowing that no such room exists. 

The job front has slowed right down as the months have gone by. I still apply to a few roles a week - I choose them carefully now, and only apply for jobs that I'd really like to do and that would allow me to grow my career - but the responses have been few and far between. A few weeks ago, I heard from a mobile operator in Sydney to say that my application had been shortlisted, but when following up with them by mail, I hear nothing back. So something may come of it, or not. I have another role that matches exactly what I'm doing right now, and would at least be a way to make the move happen, so I'm expecting to have something positive back, but not attaching myself to it. 

I can't afford to risk our savings by moving over without a job and hoping for the best. That's not going to change. So the only thing I can do, right now, is keep on keeping on with the job I have on this side, apply for interesting new ones on the other side, and wait for the stars to align when the right one comes along.

Don't lose hope and try open your perspective to different avenues. So perhaps instead of only looking at jobs in an area you currently work in, what about those in a skill set you have from earlier in your career. Also, what about opening a small business or doing some freelance work. You've probably thought of all this. Keep going and remember the stats on these things, e.g. 100 applications filter down to 10 responses filter down to possibly 1 interview. This is a quantities game as much as it is about the quality of your applications. 

Sending positive energy for those stars to get aligned ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the good wishes, @Husky. It sometimes feels like a lonely journey, but if we're cheering each other on, the path doesn't seem all that daunting. I hope your plans are coming along nicely and that you'll soon be waving hello to us all on the other side :)

• Like 1