It starts!

mistermoose

Congrats MisterMoose!

I was wondering how you were progressing with your applications. All the best with planning your new life down under.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt! It's been valuable seeing how you and your family have settled in, and the details you've shared have certainly helped me realise that it IS possible and that we CAN be happy over there.

Only just saw this.

Congratulations Mistermoose! That's fantastic news! :)

Take that leap, you won't regret it!

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences and viewpoints once you arrive.

Aaaaah, love it when another one of us gets a visa.

Hansa! You helped steer my ship from very early on in my time on the forum, answering all kinds of lists and questions I was throwing out there, including the dreaded Mel vs Syd debate ;) Thanks for the support and the congrats - feels really good to have one foot firmly on the other side of the fence now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

SO I had my first official Australian interview over Skype this morning. The guy was very down to earth, easy to speak to, and more than happy to point me at other roles if he feels I have more to offer in a different team. It was less technical/detail-orientated than it could've been, but a really enjoyable 45 minute chat about the industry, the role, what I'm looking for, what culture I'd like to be a part of, what my work history has been, and what success in this role would look like (KPIs and deliverables).

Really small world: his wife is from Cape Town, they're coming down on holiday in a few weeks, and their group works with some content providers based in CT - who I happen to know from the industry. The universe, hey?

He said he'd get back to me in 24 hours with news. If we're good to go, there'll be second round comprising of a task that tests general thinking skills, and then a third round being a chat with the director of the team.

This might not be the right role, and they may not even move forward with me, but it felt good to get aboard the train towards Aus and get things moving.

Let's see what happens :)

• Like 5

Wow. You really seem to be moving with this.

Hope it goes well and you get a good job!

• Like 1

Wow. You really seem to be moving with this.

Hope it goes well and you get a good job!

Thanks so much Eyebrow. It's taken over 150 applications to get to an actual interview. So I'm still applying to decent job opportunities while this one's on the go. It's far from being a sure bet, so I have to keep on keeping on in the background.

Thanks, mistermoose, for posting those numbers online. It gives one a bit of perspective. I know some people find work quickly and others take longer, depending on a large number of factors, but it helps to know some real numbers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I didn't get the job. The guy on the other end was very kind about it, and had loads of praise, but shared that he thought the role just wasn't the right fit for me. He offered to keep in touch every quarter, because he sees me joining the company at some point, when the right role pops up. Which is really very generous of him - and them - but it doesn't help me get over to Aus right now.

I've had some encouraging conversations with recruiters and managers I've made direct contact with through LinkedIn. But I'll say this: of the jobs that have come closest to interviews (one actual interview and two very interested but I didn't move forward with them because one wasn't quite right and the other in NZ) none of them were through a special relationship I had developed on LinkedIn. They came up simply through me applying for the job. All of the sidebar conversations I've had on LinkedIn have resulted in responses varying from total silence to 'you're great but we don't have anything right now so keep checking our vacancies'.

So I'm now scaling back on the undercover work and keeping the applications going in. I'm at somewhere around the 170 applications mark on Seek, and that doesn't include the indeed.com.au and LinkedIn applications I've submitted. It's hard going. I've been doing this steadily since mid-July when the visas came through, so that's over three months of solid job searching every day.

Another pattern worth noting: the three positive responses were all companies advertising their jobs directly, not through a recruitment agency. The agencies have really lacklustre in their responses. I'm at the point now where I skip past any ads placed by agencies. There's just no point, because rejections come through almost immediately. They obviously don't want to go through the hassle of trying to co-ordinate offshore non-Aus candidates with their client companies. Much simpler just to bin them straight away and move on with locals they can get an easier sale out of.

Anyway. On we go. I need to find something before the end of November (before holidays arrive and jobs dry up), or I'm going to probably end up flying through in Feb to activate and then have to return to SA to keep job hunting. That's not the way I'm hoping things will go though, so it's full steam ahead!

I have never found the agencies in Australia on a par with recruiters in RSA... I also found my jobs through direct advertising...

• Like 1

The tickets are booked - visiting Sydney and Melbourne at the end of Jan 2016!

Hoping to use them to fly to our new life, but at the very least they'll be an activation trip.

Feels good to have something tangible to look forward to. Aus here we come :)

Edited by mistermoose
  • Like 5

Jip, nothing like a booked ticket to fix your goals. ;)

• Like 1

Jip, nothing like a booked ticket to fix your goals. ;)

Amen! The R10k special at SAA was what I needed to push me over the edge :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for an update on what I've been up to job-wise over the last few weeks. Given the first bit of feedback below, I was waiting to have something signed and sealed before updating my journal here and sharing the good news, but as things usually are, it's a little more complex than that and is taking a bit longer than expected.

About two months ago, I applied for one of a number of senior roles at one of the world's largest digital media companies. I made contact with the direct hiring manager (not HR) through LinkedIn and received valuable feedback: as I wasn't in the country yet, I didn't have the relationships needed with Australian agencies and partners. We had a great conversation and I appreciated the honest response, especially as it was given within a day or two of applying. What happened next was unexpected and would set off a number of events that have kept me busy, upbeat, hopeful and then even a little discouraged over the last few weeks.

After clearing up any expectations I had of landing the original job I applied for, I spotted an even better and more relevant role at the company (it's enormous, so they have many concurrent vacancies at any one time) and mentioned it to the hiring manager, who let me know that she'd be happy to share my details and CV with the team connected to the role. I thanked her but didn't really expect very much to come of it, especially given her position on local experience. Two or three days later, the GM connected to the new role connected with me on LinkedIn, got in touch and asked if we could set up a Skype interview two weeks later! I jumped at the opportunity and was more than a little nervous when waiting to connect early one morning on the agreed date.

The interview went very well, even though it was easily the most comprehensive I've had in my life. After a couple of introductions and niceties, they went straight into deep detail. They wanted to know A to Z of everything I did, had done, the achievements along the way - with financial impacts, and my thoughts about their business as well. At the end, they all but said the job was mine and all we had left to sort out was logistics, start date, and offer. Shortly after this, however, they got back in touch to let me know that the process wasn't over. HR wanted to meet with me, in person, and the team also wanted a second interview, where I had to prep a presentation of general industry trends and proposals on improving the business. That session went very well, from my perspective, and now we wait until we get to meet in person when I go over early next year to validate my visa. They're still interviewing other people but have tagged me as a 'strong candidate'. I've put a lot of time and energy (and hope!) into this adventure with them and feel like I'm almost part of the team already. Having said that, it's still a complete unknown as to whether it'll pan out or not. It'll be quite disappointing to have come this far and not make it, but I won't be the first to have gone through such an experience and still not land the job.

If it doesn't happen, I believe very firmly that I've given it my all, and that if this is a company that doesn't see value in me after all this, it's probably an environment that I'd be better off not working at to begin with.

In the meantime, the search continues.

Edited by mistermoose
  • Like 2

Congratulations MrMoose, I do hope this all works out for you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mara said:

Congratulations MrMoose, I do hope this all works out for you!

Thanks for the encouragement, Mara. It would make a wonderful Christmas-in-January present :)

Will be crossing fingers, and praying that this works out for you!! Just shows that perseverance pays.

All the best, and hoping to hear great news soon :D

• Like 1

Hello, Em! So nice to hear from you - and hoping to have news before your crooked fingers and my crooked toes start turning blue!

Popping over to your journal now to ask some specific 'how the hell are you' questions :)

Mistermoose I hope everything goes well for you on the job front. I think there are very good positives to take out of your job search. One is that you were very pro active and networked via LinkedIn which proves Tha approaching companies in this way is good. Secondly you got a skype interview and you must have impressed enough to get a second. Even if the job didn't pan out (I'm sure it will) this is great news and other companies out there would be equally impressed. Good luck I don't think you'll need it though. ?

Oh Emma, if only you could speak to the anxious little voice in my head that makes me ask questions like: if they really wanted me, wouldn't they have made an offer at this point already? But I'll give the mischievous little echo chamber your message. It really does help, thank you!

?

Let me alay those fears MrMoose, Australian companies are known for taking their time over new staff appointments, very rarely do they make snap decisions! So tell that little voice to disappear...and go for a snooze!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mara said:

Let me alay those fears MrMoose, Australian companies are known for taking their time over new staff appointments, very rarely do they make snap decisions! So tell that little voice to disappear...and go for a snooze!

From your lips, Mara :)

???

• Like 1

Things seem to be hotting up on the job front :D I had a phone interview yesterday morning with a giant fast food chain looking to ramp up their digital efforts in a big way, and then got a call out of the blue from one of Aus's biggest airlines, looking to grow their digital loyalty program. Exciting times! :ilikeit:

So now there are three awesome irons in the fire. I haven't had any further feedback from the first, but will have a few more interviews next week and in early Jan for the jobs behind doors number 2 and 3. Not taking any of it for granted, and not counting any chickens anytime soon, but it's nice to have some options presenting themselves after putting all my energy and focus into job number 1.

Edited by mistermoose
  • Like 7

Great news. Hope 2016 gets off to a good start for you:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SDTCPT said:

Great news. Hope 2016 gets off to a good start for you:)

Thanks so much! Right back at you for next year :)

Wonderful news on the progress on the job front !

• Like 1

Wow MrMoose, well done, that is wonderful news... let's be honest, one of the three just has to be "the one" that comes through!

• Like 1