Is Australia still the lucky country?

Johnno

We're all different. We have different backgrounds, experiences, expectations and outlooks. Just remember, "your perspective is your reality". Live and let live, just respect others opinions ;)

Gee Johnno, I actually agree with you

Well in that case perhaps everyone will play "nice" now?

• Like 1

That great news on Agricultural potential. It a lot of investment to be made. Do you see yourself going to work on a farm? We just need to keep in mind that Oz has a pretty mechanized agriculture industry already so I don't see millions of jobs being created, let's say it won't be on the scale of mining. 2nd don't forget that China reached peak population, 4 grand parents, 2 parents, 1 child. So in the next 30 years it will have half the population of today.

2nd don't forget that China reached peak population, 4 grand parents, 2 parents, 1 child. So in the next 30 years it will have half the population of today.

You just make stuff up. Nothing you say can be taken seriously.

China's population is set to peak in 2050 and slow slightly after that.

• Like 1

Its all about going from the mining boom to the dining boom!!

In 2012/13, WA exported about $6.1 billion in agriculture and food products; an increase of 18 per cent on 2011/12.

This is to double for WA by 2020: Google Royalty for Region grants and Seizing the Opportunity grants

The top WA commodities for 2012/13 were wheat ($2.73 billion), canola ($757 million), barley ($402 million), wool ($397 million) and live sheep ($166 million).

Biofuel from sugar cane is also high on the agenda. Then add the contributions from all the other states........

The challenge is to increase the yield per hectare through science due to the acidity, salinity and alkalinity of soil - i.e low soil quality and low rainfall.

Also many opportunities exists through the supply chain, it is not all about farming labour. Think about transportation, storage, packaging, shipping, milling and food production. Once the basics are in place think about optimisation each entity. This is huge!!!

Further automation leads to precision farming and smart farming which involves engineering, ICT tegnologies, geographical information systems etc

The same practices that applies to mining automation (driverless trucks) can be applied to the farming industry.

This will require more re-skilling and utilising transferable skills.

Therefore almonds is definitely part of the mix :-) ....all good news!

• Like 1

Waaahaa Dono!

@ Mara, Ill bring the bucket so when we are all done tossing our toys, we can pack them away till tomorrow. LOL

i actually said that in a meeting one time to this idiot whose sole purpose in life was to hijack and disrupt meetings with his little self-worth rants. A true prima donna. He was a chef turned SAP consultant. I normally dont dress people down in an open forum but he was testing my authority on the project. Let's just say when I was done he never did it again.

Cant wait for the next episode.

That great news on Agricultural potential. It a lot of investment to be made. Do you see yourself going to work on a farm? We just need to keep in mind that Oz has a pretty mechanized agriculture industry already so I don't see millions of jobs being created, let's say it won't be on the scale of mining. 2nd don't forget that China reached peak population, 4 grand parents, 2 parents, 1 child. So in the next 30 years it will have half the population of today.

You don't know what you are saying. i know a few people who have been employed on farms in a technical capacity who really earn good $.

Even fruit pickers can earn a decent wage, if they are prepared to work but sadly many people shun the work. China population will decrease? really? How? And yes I know a family who do very well with almonds so stop laughing about things you know nothing about

Is Australia the lucky country, yes, of course it is. There is work but be prepared to work. You will not have domestic help but hey its so much nicer teaching kids to be self sufficient and not relying on others to wipe their spoilt backsides for them. I still get help now and then.I honestly still feel that there are 2 individuals who should really be on Homecoming Revolution forum where they can agree with others who are on the same page. We dont hate SA, far from it and it takes guts to make it work in Aus. It is do-able with the right attitude. Some people keep on making it sound as if Aus is a bad choice and they keep on justifying how much better SA actually is. I am not on Homecoming Revolution saying how great Oz is as I do not belong there. The ones on this forum know who they are and they really should take it from us that we wish to be here at all costs! Nothing will change our minds.

• Like 2

Is Australia the lucky country, yes, of course it is. There is work but be prepared to work. You will not have domestic help but hey its so much nicer teaching kids to be self sufficient and not relying on others to wipe their spoilt backsides for them. I still get help now and then.I honestly still feel that there are 2 individuals who should really be on Homecoming Revolution forum where they can agree with others who are on the same page. We dont hate SA, far from it and it takes guts to make it work in Aus. It is do-able with the right attitude. Some people keep on making it sound as if Aus is a bad choice and they keep on justifying how much better SA actually is. I am not on Homecoming Revolution saying how great Oz is as I do not belong there. The ones on this forum know who they are and they really should take it from us that we wish to be here at all costs! Nothing will change our minds.

Ridiculous (and quite narcissistic) that you would think someone is trying to change your mind just because they have their own opinion.

• Like 1

As someone who is still sitting in SA (PR VISA EXPIRES 2016) I am very thankful for forumites like bronwyn&co.

Made me less fearful of sharing my concerns about moving to the 'lucky' country lest I get lambasted.

I would hate to only hear rah-rah stories about life in AUS. I don't think that's a very balanced point if view.

• Like 1

Hi JuliaClaire,

Everyone has opinions, and sometimes people will get upset when a strong, personal or effontrous statement is made. Dont feel like you need to be afraid to air them, and dont worry if someone disagrees. If you KNOW what you like and dont like, their opinion means jack. :ilikeit:

Take B here, she is not afraid to be vocal and bring balance to The Force. :jester:

This is one area where finding middle ground is moot, because that is not the objective. Still, bias old me hopes you come over and it works for you!!!! :blush-anim-cl::whome::ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

• Like 1

in my opinion every country has lucky as well as negative aspects. Many are based on the individual's own circumstances and personality. Imagine a similar debate amongst cities in South Africa!

I believe the best way to approach it is to list both pros and cons, as many has done. This is certainly a less biased approach and we can all remain friends at the end of the day!!

• Like 2

) I am very thankful for forumites like bronwyn&co.

Bronwyn&co speaks from the heart honestly about her experiences and she does not have an agenda.

There others who do have an agenda and they can't be taken seriously.

Hi guys,

It is almost Impossible to distinguish people with an agenda from assholes or trolls. Lol. The beauty of those for or against SA/Aus is that the sheer dichotomy of views that may result in direct confrontational postulation. In itself this is not a bad thing. Is not the title of this site "SAAUSTRALIA"? That in itself says a lot. But the fact that the Ops allow spirited debate is a testament to tolerance, meaningful engagement etc. Well done Ops.

Being a career contractor I get the dubious distinction of seeing almost every kind of corporate animal there is. One of my key take always is that some people are idiots, some are geniuses, some are middle of the road, some are misunderstood, etc et al. The point is that when people try to articulate their opinions and views, a lot is lost in translation between intent and meaning. By no stretch do I exempt myself from this group. I'm sure I rub some people up just like others will do to me.

I consider myself a reasoned debater but even I fall foul on occasion and response on a more personal level than I should. But isn't that the glory of our brief twinkle on this planet?

My conclusion is: read everyone's view, but never forget that your position is based on your experiences and beliefs, which is a good thing. It means you have balls and a position on what you believe in. The hallmark of great debate is the ability to get the other party's point.

• Like 4

I sometimes give a sigh of relief, when we migrated 21 years ago, there was no Internet, you just jumped in the deep end and started swimming.

My husband once asked me if we should go and check it out before we apply, I just laughed and told him no amount of checking would make it any easier.

All we could do was to go with a positive attitude and make it work, there was no turning back, we were both 45, this was our only chance.

• Like 7

I feel like I just have mention that Bronwyn has been the voice of reason around here. She's someone that's not head over heels in love with Aus, yet made it work for her. That type of person is rare.

I'm in the same boat as Bronwyn and I have learned that I don't have to love Australia to be content. That it is possible to make things work here even if you don't necessarily feel you fit in.

I have met Bronwyn in person and she's very level headed. It's great to be able to speak to someone that understands how you feel.

Keep it up girl!

• Like 3

Nice one Mara,

I'm pretty much the same, deep breath. Leap. Land. Roll. Crawl. Stand. Walk. Run. Enjoy. Lol.

Interesting debate. Glad to see there's still room for rational discussion in this crazy internet-driven world.

My 2c, if it's worth anything.

Short answer? Depends.

For me and my family, it's certainly been that. Is it perfect? Hell, no. Does some crap that happens get the bile rising? Oh, yeah. Is there stuff that makes me cheer wildly? Absolutely. Do I miss some things in SA? Yep. Do I like some things in Aus better? Of course.

On the whole we love being here and hope to live and die here as Australians.

When things are weighed up, I think we made a good choice to move. For us, I doubt we'd have been where we are now back in SA. But, hey, that's just us.

Cheers

• Like 1

I honestly think it depends on you as a person and on your family. You will be happy in some places and miserable in others. The joy of finding a place where you can be content, that is the place to search for. If a place was completely wonderful, with absolutely no bad points, we would all like to live there, but unfortunately it is called "Nirvana" and we all know that it is only in our dreams.

Now if anyone asked me about the USA, and it is a big place, I know, then I would tell them I could not see myself ever living there long time, I would choose Australia anytime, every time. I love to holiday there, and often do, but I love coming home to Melbourne.

Yet we lived in Brisbane when we first came to Australia and although we loved the place and it's scenic beauty we could just not handle the weather, so six months later we moved to Melbourne. Now, although so many people complain about the weather, we can handle that, we have found our "contentment".

I honestly think that people sometimes give up too easily when the going is tough, moving from one city to another or city to country in Australia could make all the difference, to your level of contentment.

There are certainly things I dislike about Australia, especially the medical world, I find the doctors, for the most part, treat you like a number, they have absolutely no bedside manner. That is until I spoke to my GP about it, and since then I have been amazed at how her attitude changed. Then on the opposite side of the medical spectrum, I have my cardiologist, who after my first visit to him, gave me his mobile number and told me to put it on speed dial, his mission was, he said, to keep me alive! He was the one that sat with me for three hours, in the middle of the night, whilst I received blood, to ensure that everything went well.

So... if at first you do not like what you find, look around, Australia is big, you may just have your "contentment" waiting for you around the corner.

• Like 6

So true. You can move within SA and be miserable - transplant my sister-in-law from Joburg to CT and she becomes practically suicidal. Went to the US, liked New York, loathed Baltimore. Love to visit South of England but would rather scrub toilets for a living than live there again. Would move to Scotland in a flash. Have dreams of a snow peak holiday in Switzerland but have no desire to live there. My husband would love to live there.

Is Melbourne paradise for us, full of wild excitement? Absolutely not. But am not actually looking for wild excitement. Am looking for being happily content and, for now, feel that we have found it. Yes, I have my grumbles, the biggest actually being food but that is probably good for both budget and waistline.

• Like 1

Hi Mara,

I just finished reading The Big Fat Suprise. I recommend it. It will turn your thinking on its head.

• Like 1