Is Australia still the lucky country?

Johnno

Hi guys, first of all apologies Johnno, it was not intended to hurt but I intended to let you know my response to your negativity. I feel it is my duty to tell everyone how wonderful it is over here contrary to your negative slant. Don't get me wrong, I still love SA, just do not like what goes on, in my opinion. And yes, I came to Aus for a few months, left and gave SA a 2nd chance but was a mistake. I thought I would slot back in to life in SA which I did, but after a year and a half back I realized the reason for leaving still was not fixed. I felt unsafe, just everyday life felt unsafe. Bear in mind I have had hijackings and home invasions, My neighbour got shot dead. We decided even though we had a house, business etc we would give it another crack. It was NOT easy. It was tough as rocking horse :censored:. Johnno I will NOT keep quiet. My perspective is important to many people on this forum. I still feel Aus is the lucky country. Its not utopia but I sure as hell think its so awesome to feel so safe. I love it more day by day. It is hard and at least 5 years are required to feel like you are starting to fit in.I feel incredibly lucky to be here

• Like 1

Hi guys, first of all apologies Johnno, it was not intended to hurt but I intended to let you know my response to your negativity. I feel it is my duty to tell everyone how wonderful it is over here contrary to your negative slant. Don't get me wrong, I still love SA, just do not like what goes on, in my opinion. And yes, I came to Aus for a few months, left and gave SA a 2nd chance but was a mistake. I thought I would slot back in to life in SA which I did, but after a year and a half back I realized the reason for leaving still was not fixed. I felt unsafe, just everyday life felt unsafe. Bear in mind I have had hijackings and home invasions, My neighbour got shot dead. We decided even though we had a house, business etc we would give it another crack. It was NOT easy. It was tough as rocking horse :censored:. Johnno I will NOT keep quiet. My perspective is important to many people on this forum. I still feel Aus is the lucky country. Its not utopia but I sure as hell think its so awesome to feel so safe. I love it more day by day. It is hard and at least 5 years are required to feel like you are starting to fit in.I feel incredibly lucky to be here

Funtobeausiechick, apology accepted, thank you. Remember that this is a debate, a discussion and people are entitled to have and voice their opinions which depending on their personal circumstances will differ. Clearly we come from very different parts of SA and we have very different experiences. I acknowledge and accept that in many parts of the country crime is at unacceptable levels, it's out of control and as i mentioned in my earlier post, it's indefensible. Truth is, we have all migrated to Australia for the same reasons, some more pressing and personal than others but fact is we all left SA because it is not as safe, prosperous etc as Aus.That's a fact and I've supported that on many discussions, including this one.

My posts about Australia are not "negativity", it's fact and mostly backed up by links to the original source, not to mention almost 14 years of living and doing business in Aus. "Is Australia still the lucky country" is not my words, but those of many economists who are comparing current day Australia to a few years ago. It's fact that those who experienced the uptake of the mining boom were very lucky, in fact the whole country was very lucky. Our property prices doubled or tripled, our salaries shot up and business opportunities came knocking like never before. Fast forward a few years and we have a motor manufacturing industry on it's knees, all 4 major manufacturers are pulling out. Mitsubishi gone, Ford, Holden and Toyota following, a mining boom that is now history and every news paper carries stories of job losses from government departments to banks and manufacturing. Even our own treasurer is warning of dire economic times ahead for the country and on that basis I share an article "Is Australia still the lucky country" and all you can do is make a mockery of it, name calling and all. So yes, I did take offence to your comments as I really do not believe that the Almond nut industry will replace those industries that Australia has already lost. I'm in CT on business at the moment and I can tell you that right now that our African business venture is more than 4 times more profitable (in US dollar terms) than anything we're able to do in Oz (I'm in oil & gas). Trying to secure business in Australia in the once booming industries is pretty damn hard and the flow through to workers will be felt.

Here's another news article from The Courier Mail, not from my "negative spin": If you disagree please write to the editor of Courier Mail and tell him to stop being negative, don't shoot the messenger ;)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/australian-workers-union-campaign-claims-235000-jobs-could-be-lost-when-gas-exports-from-curtis-island-ramp-up/story-fnihsrf2-1227073639579?nk=12b89b1958f4f32bc6f25e68f2ecc57b

The clue in that article is the word "could", Johnno. They have a vested interest, so of course they would paint the worst possible picture to get their point across.

Again, whilst I agree that we are undergoing a period of uncertainty, from a financial perspective, I still think we're pretty lucky to be here, and I'd rather be here than a lot of places.

I thought this was a good article - it does have some fluff in it (like technology making our lives better - that's not really an Australian thing in my eyes, it's world-wide) but it does go a long way to point out that considering ourselves lucky is not ONLY about financial prosperity and boom times - there are a lot of other reasons that make this place a lucky place to live, even tough there are warts:

Http://theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/opinion/why-australia-is-still-the-lucky-country/story-e6frgd0x-1226994086615?nk=4003da6c0bdac7ab24c05545449899b1

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 1

Funtobeausiechick, apology accepted, thank you. Remember that this is a debate, a discussion and people are entitled to have and voice their opinions which depending on their personal circumstances will differ. Clearly we come from very different parts of SA and we have very different experiences. I acknowledge and accept that in many parts of the country crime is at unacceptable levels, it's out of control and as i mentioned in my earlier post, it's indefensible. Truth is, we have all migrated to Australia for the same reasons, some more pressing and personal than others but fact is we all left SA because it is not as safe, prosperous etc as Aus.That's a fact and I've supported that on many discussions, including this one.

My posts about Australia are not "negativity", it's fact and mostly backed up by links to the original source, not to mention almost 14 years of living and doing business in Aus. "Is Australia still the lucky country" is not my words, but those of many economists who are comparing current day Australia to a few years ago. It's fact that those who experienced the uptake of the mining boom were very lucky, in fact the whole country was very lucky. Our property prices doubled or tripled, our salaries shot up and business opportunities came knocking like never before. Fast forward a few years and we have a motor manufacturing industry on it's knees, all 4 major manufacturers are pulling out. Mitsubishi gone, Ford, Holden and Toyota following, a mining boom that is now history and every news paper carries stories of job losses from government departments to banks and manufacturing. Even our own treasurer is warning of dire economic times ahead for the country and on that basis I share an article "Is Australia still the lucky country" and all you can do is make a mockery of it, name calling and all. So yes, I did take offence to your comments as I really do not believe that the Almond nut industry will replace those industries that Australia has already lost. I'm in CT on business at the moment and I can tell you that right now that our African business venture is more than 4 times more profitable (in US dollar terms) than anything we're able to do in Oz (I'm in oil & gas). Trying to secure business in Australia in the once booming industries is pretty damn hard and the flow through to workers will be felt.

Here's another news article from The Courier Mail, not from my "negative spin": If you disagree please write to the editor of Courier Mail and tell him to stop being negative, don't shoot the messenger ;)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/australian-workers-union-campaign-claims-235000-jobs-could-be-lost-when-gas-exports-from-curtis-island-ramp-up/story-fnihsrf2-1227073639579?nk=12b89b1958f4f32bc6f25e68f2ecc57b

Yes Johnno it's all a bed of roses... Until God forbid a family member becomes a horrific crime statistic. I feel lucky to be away from that. The crime statistics have you looked recently. Just yesterday I had a call from a dear friend who's mother was murdered. I have to say I was once again gutted. My mother used to live a block away. Money clouds a persons vision. Money does not protect us from the evil villains. Cape Town is lovely and beautiful and yes you may make 10 times what you do in Australia but the risk to your life as well as to your family is higher. So go make millions and good luck. I wish you the best

Gotta love it. I'm with funtobeaussiechick on this one. I reckon even if Australia were Utopia (which to me after 25 years here it almost is!) the likes of Johnno and Bronwyn & Co would emphasise the negatives at any cost.

I remember a forumite who went to Scotland and swears blind she's now as happy as Larry. She probably is, but I'd like to hear from her in a few years' time. After all, if RSA really goes down the gurgler, where would / could one find a refuge as sunny, smiley and easy as this great southern land?

A bit of verbal fencing is all very healthy. Go funtobe: don't let them shut you up.....

Was a very interesting chat on TV last night about youth unemployment in Australia. To be honest it does not look like anybody got any idea what they going to do about it. With the auto industry closing down and manufacturing basically dead in the water, mine building at this time nearing completion. I wounder if Australia will be as a lucky country for the youth of today as it was for their parents. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/christopher-pyne-denies-12-per-cent-youth-unemployment-is-a-crisis-20140930-10nsm2.html

Oh ... how silly... I'm forgetting about almonds, yes everybody can find jobs in the nut business ....

• Like 1

Was a very interesting chat on TV last night about youth unemployment in Australia. To be honest it does not look like anybody got any idea what they going to do about it. With the auto industry closing down and manufacturing basically dead in the water, mine building at this time nearing completion. I wounder if Australia will be as a lucky country for the youth of today as it was for their parents. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/christopher-pyne-denies-12-per-cent-youth-unemployment-is-a-crisis-20140930-10nsm2.html

Oh ... how silly... I'm forgetting about almonds, yes everybody can find jobs in the nut business ....

RSA is much better. The official rate is 1 in 4 people... a completely dependable statistic too, since it probably doesn't include all the social grant succubuses from up north that have flooded into the country.

But it's okay because there's a competent, rational government running RSA that completely doesn't scare away foreign investment and rob the people blind.

The aus government is also dodgy and we do have some problems (yes problems, not "challenges") on the horizon... but I'd rather be here than in that basketcase.

• Like 1

Hey Dono,

Also remember that SA doesnt have as many pesky tax payers as in Aus, so revenue from this is lower, which in African logic means less paperwork. If you run out of money, you just take it from another source like in Zim. :jester: :jester:

And dont worry, they had AsgiSA, then GEAR, there was Nepad, then a sort of Gear 2.0, SAMAF, Arms Deal offsets, and now, NDP. The lovely voters get strung along and almost never get the promised benefits. :ilikeit:

Australia is a safer (better?) place to live than South Africa.

Australia is not as lucky as it was 7 years ago. This should be obvious if you read the papers, which are not saying that because they are comparing Australia to South Africa.

Let's just keep in mind the corruption. In the arms deal alone how many bribes where paid by Western companies. With all their high morals and instead of competing fairly the showed up and offered bribes. Then you turn around and say Africa corrupt. May I ask how many directors of these 1st world companies have been imprisoned for their crime.... ah yes zero... so those African leaders have been taught their trade not by themselves but by the 1st world.

I agree that it takes two to bribe. I also agree there are some glaring 1st world corruption that never sees the light of day...think FIFA, GFC, Morgan Stanley. Shocking how these folk get to not only stay out of jail as you say, but get bonuses on top of all that! Africa is not immune to this. As Ive said before, money and men make a bad brew. So I guess in that sense there is not difference between Zuma and say a company director. But you have to concede one point, I dont know of a single man who is involved in such a diverse arrary of legal brushes. (rape, fraud, racketeering, improper funds abuse, non-compliance, nukes deal, Chancellor House, Guptagate...)

He certainly has a talent for getting away. :jester:

Gotta love it. I'm with funtobeaussiechick on this one. I reckon even if Australia were Utopia (which to me after 25 years here it almost is!) the likes of Johnno and Bronwyn & Co would emphasise the negatives at any cost.

I remember a forumite who went to Scotland and swears blind she's now as happy as Larry. She probably is, but I'd like to hear from her in a few years' time. After all, if RSA really goes down the gurgler, where would / could one find a refuge as sunny, smiley and easy as this great southern land?

A bit of verbal fencing is all very healthy. Go funtobe: don't let them shut you up.....

Luckytobehere maybe go & read my posts and tell me again if I 'emphasise the negatives at any cost' Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

I am backing Bronwyn here,

She always shares a very balanced and opinionated view on topics, not just the negatives..

@Surferman, while you at it, I would ride a cactus bare ass for a frosty mate. Thanks :ilikeit:

• Like 3

Mate,

First one is on me when your "sorry @ss" lands here. Ive done some hardcore things for a beer, but I have yet to peddle a cactus....LOL. In the famous words of an anon Capie, "Dis so uit soos haai naai innie winter!" I have to say I lean with B's comments on the forum too.

Haha. Can't wait.

Here's my view on all the crime stats et al.

We have only ourselves to blame for all the crime and violence today. We removed all the phone booths and now Superman has nowhere to change.

• Like 1

Luckytobehere maybe go & read my posts and tell me again if I 'emphasise the negatives at any cost'

People only seem to read what they want to read and when they draw the wrong conclusion or if it does not meet their idealism they want to shoot the messenger. Sad but true.

• Like 3

On my count.....everyone draw down and blaze away @ Johnno! :jester: :jester:

@bigvan07, nah, he was hijacked passing through Soweto at Mach 2. Word has it a taxi came up behind him and flashed him to pass, then decided they smaaked his red undies and the rest is history!

Edited by SurferMan

http://chinaconnections.com.au/en/news/blogs/1698-agriculture-the-next-boom-for-australia There are none so blind as those who do not see

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/business/australian-ag-in-hunt-for-17-trillion-asian-food-export-boom/story-fnkeqfxg-1227014432038

yes how silly who would think that agriculture could possible make any money whatsoever. i think i will just eat a slab of iron ore

On my count.....everyone draw down and blaze away @ Johnno! :jester: :jester:

@bigvan07, nah, he was hijacked passing through Soweto at Mach 2. Word has it a taxi came up behind him and flashed him to pass, then decided they smaaked his red undies and the rest is history!

Ready aim fire!

Ready aim fire!

We're all different. We have different backgrounds, experiences, expectations and outlooks. Just remember, "your perspective is your reality". Live and let live, just respect others opinions ;)

Edited by Johnno