Is Australia still the lucky country?

Johnno

I feel like we should add a separate subforum for people to have this argument. It's the same thing over and over again.

• Like 2

Coal is not coal is not coal, you really have to know the difference between black coal (black gold) and brown coal.Thermal and Metallurgical.....and like any industry, prices fluctuate, world markets change etc.

The largest buyer of Australia's thermal coal is still Japan, where prices are largely based on long-term contracts and annual pricing is determined near the start of the Japanese financial year on April 1. The latest contracts were fixed at about $US73 a tonne.

As for metallurgical coal, which includes coking coal, some analysts were optimistic the price would pick up. According to Citi's commodities research desk, the price of metallurgical coal was likely to rise to $US139 in 2015 and $US150 in 2016.

"We believe that metallurgical coal prices have bottomed and are likely to rebound over the coming months," Citi commodities strategist Ivan Szpakowski said in a note. The price was likely to be supported by improving Chinese demand and increasing cutbacks by miners, he added.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/coal-prices-feel-the-heat-as-china-mulls-import-ban-20140915-10ha2z.html#ixzz3DXP7Cr4Y
China accounts for about a quarter of Australia's coal
exports. It took 54 million tonnes of thermal coal and 30
million tonnes of metallurgical coal from Australia in 2013. All
the thermal coal exceeded the new ash limit, while the
metallurgical coal was below the limit, according to consultants
Wood Mackenzie.

It is why we have CHP plants........the coal gets washed until the ash content is what the buyer requires for their needs/industry....

Much of the high ash coal from Australia was developed
specifically for the Chinese market and could now be washed to
meet the tighter limit on ash, said Rohan Kendall, Wood
Mackenzie's metals and mining manager for eastern Asia.
"The uncertainty is whether the Chinese market will be
willing to pay a bit extra for that lower ash product from
Australia," he said.
When the regulation is implemented, Australian and South
African coal with a heating value of 5,500 kcal/kg will be worst
hit, since their ash content hovers around 23-25 percent and
they contain sulphur of 0.8-1.0 percent, traders have said.
Top steam coal exporter Indonesia, which largely ships fuel
with low heating value, sulphur and ash content, could be the
least affected.

But I think Indonesia are cutting their coal exports by 2.4%..............quick, move and supply that gap.

Our coal exports are only worth about 13% of total exports, but still has a value of about $23 billion....If you look at the little map I provided, te mies with round red circles produce met coal which is used in the iron and steel industry in Asia, India, Brazil and Europe......unless another way of manufacturing iron and steel is found, we're good....

Angloamercican is the worlds number 3 producer of met coal, that is why we have 2 new mines opening up,one being commissioned at the moment, and the other in the next year or so...

LOL, I sound like a spokesperson for Anglo, but Grosvenor and Moranbah south are our 2 new projects.....http://www.angloamerican.com.au/our-operations/projects.aspx

We produce more high quality met coal 19 Mt than China, Asia and India combined........

Eek, sorry Dononvan.......As an aside, everytime we travel the 200km to Mackay...........shadowing the Goonyella rail system, filled with trains bearing coal, hubby always says sarcastically, 'There's no money in coal"..............Then we both say, "Black gold"......And if you get out to the Hay Point or Dalrymple Bay coal terminals, ships are lined up way out on the horizon to collect that coal.

Perhaps we are not in "that" boom, but we are still booming.

Current EIS projects ( projects at EIS stage)..........http://www.dsdip.qld.gov.au/assessments-and-approvals/current-eis-projects.html

• Like 1

The original post concerned an article highlighting the potential fragile Australian economy.

I cannot fathom how this turns into a topic on whether South Africa or Australia is better?

These are unrelated issues.

As a permanent resident of Australia, I study the Australian newspapers and economic articles daily,

to gather as much insight as possible due to;

a) Timing of moving business infrastructure is crucial.

B) The currency fluctuation requires monitoring, as huge savings / losses can be incurred when transferring funds.

c) I would rather purchase a property in the through of a cycle, than at the peak.

d) Location is critical to establish a business, and therefore one needs to determine potential growth areas and visa versa.

I regret not moving 10 years ago when the exchange rate was more favourable, and the economy was booming.

However this current economic situation does not deter my desire to relocate, it merely makes me more aware of the

current market.

I believe it to be of assistance to new immigrants to have knowledge of the good and the bad aspects of relocation.

Edited by BrianJ
  • Like 3

Has anyone noticed the agricultural boom? I live in an agricultural area and almonds are being exported at a rapid rate, as are citrus, saltanas worlds best. Like I said Saffa mug and and Cheezy can smoke their SA is better pipe

http://www.smh.com.au/national/tertiary-education/boom-times-in-agribusiness-20140205-320pn.html

• Like 1

Sorry guys, ignore my previous story... I said something bad about Oz. I'm turning over a new leaf... will only report positive stories and stories that promote Australia.

Lol Chzaau. No offence but you might be a 'glass half empty' type of person. But you are consistent, I will say ?

Ps....Other people are allowed to be consistently 'glass overflowing' but they don't see the irony in that.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Leave me out of this one guys. I need only positivity this weekend, so I can create a Karmic environment in which to win the $20 million lotto, and join the in crowd and get me a butler................hey Surferman?

You can call yours Surferman, mine will be the Silversurfer.............

• Like 3

As long as we dont go any further err, south on this topic AndreaL and B....you will make me blush. Will they surf together? :jester:

• Like 1

Another butler thread!!! :jester: I couldn't like your post Andrea, reached my positive like limit for the day, but here it is anyway... :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

The original post concerned an article highlighting the potential fragile Australian economy.

I cannot fathom how this turns into a topic on whether South Africa or Australia is better?

These are unrelated issues.

As a permanent resident of Australia, I study the Australian newspapers and economic articles daily,

to gather as much insight as possible due to;

a) Timing of moving business infrastructure is crucial.

B) The currency fluctuation requires monitoring, as huge savings / losses can be incurred when transferring funds.

c) I would rather purchase a property in the through of a cycle, than at the peak.

d) Location is critical to establish a business, and therefore one needs to determine potential growth areas and visa versa.

I regret not moving 10 years ago when the exchange rate was more favourable, and the economy was booming.

However this current economic situation does not deter my desire to relocate, it merely makes me more aware of the

current market.

I believe it to be of assistance to new immigrants to have knowledge of the good and the bad aspects of relocation.

Well said, I'm too a bit confused as to how this becomes a SA vs Aus competition. But hey, thank goodness for almonds! According to some experts like "aussiechick" it's going to replace iron ore and the property boom and save Australia's economy...hahaha!

Anyway peeps, sitting here in CT for the last week I see people enjoying their lives, the outdoors (CT seems to be on a mad fitness regime, cyclists everywhere) and the rugby is a sell out for Sat night. The vibe is magical, the food, service and atmosphere......well there's nothing like it!

Edited by Johnno
  • Like 1

Well said, I'm too a bit confused as to how this becomes a SA vs Aus competition. But hey, thank goodness for almonds! According to some experts like "aussiechick" it's going to replace iron ore and the property boom and save Australia's economy...hahaha!

Anyway peeps, sitting here in CT for the last week I see people enjoying their lives, the outdoors (CT seems to be on a mad fitness regime, cyclists everywhere) and the rugby is a sell out for Sat night. The vibe is magical, the food, service and atmosphere......well there's nothing like it!

Enjoy Cape Town Saffer mug and I am enjoying a cloudless evening 22 degrees having a lovely barbeque/braai and no fence across my front yard,,,ah the freedom, love it, no car guards, hijackers, street sellers with coat hangers, imagine how many passers by would stroll in if it was SA. saffer mug, this IS freedom. The vibe, the food, nothing quite like it. Now slot back in to your saffer life for a year or 2 like i once did and tell me you still feel the same. Its called honeymoon period
  • Like 1

Can't we all just get along fellas? Johno loves SA...... Aussiechick hates SA. We get it. All this because Australia's about to go into an economic slump. Name calling, SA bashing and bickering.

• Like 2

It really does depend on what you experienced in RSA versus what you have experienced in Australia. Bad experience in RSA so automatically Australia is better and visa versa. If I remember correctly AussieChick had an horrific experience in RSA and so naturally Australia feels safe and free. I feel the same way about Australia - safe and free and never want to go back to RSA.

For those who had a good life in RSA at the top of the economic tree with everything that opened and shut then moving here will be a step down due to the costs of moving, regaining your economic status taking time etc. I also think that the more often people from that situation keep visiting RSA, the more they remember how much they liked it and want to go back because a holiday is doing all the fun things all at once in a short space of time.

Just like some people loved school while others hated it: It really depends on how it was for YOU.

• Like 3

Enjoy Cape Town Saffer mug and I am enjoying a cloudless evening 22 degrees having a lovely barbeque/braai and no fence across my front yard,,,ah the freedom, love it, no car guards, hijackers, street sellers with coat hangers, imagine how many passers by would stroll in if it was SA. saffer mug, this IS freedom. The vibe, the food, nothing quite like it. Now slot back in to your saffer life for a year or 2 like i once did and tell me you still feel the same. Its called honeymoon period

Okay, no real reason to call names.

• Like 1

A bit off topic, but may I ask some of you guys update your Oz location? It is always interesting to see of those with a strong Ozzieland opinion actually stays there yet. I noted a few times in other posts as well that the little info below the avatar/ photo still have their SA location, but they are already in Oz for a while.

Thank you, after updating your detail you may continue ...

(I cannot insert smiley faces on the I-pad, but just imagine one at this spot, yeah?)

one thing that is clear is that there is a lot of passion on either side of the fence ;)

@funtobeaussiechick, you mention that you went back to SA (once/0 to slot back into your SA and life ... I have a personal story that is similar to that and woudl really like to know your story. Why did you go back, what made you wanna come back to Aus... and finally , what gave you the strength to get back on the plane and do it all over ?

Okay, no real reason to call names.

Thanks, it is unnecessary. The topic is "Is Australia still the lucky country" and nowhere does it talk about hijackers, street vendors or home security yet some people feel the desperate need to bring this into every discussion.

@funtobeaussiechick, here's a tip. If you are happy in Oz, have a great job, have made lots of genuine friends and love everything about Oz then brilliant, YOU HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR YOU and we are all very happy for you! So please, it's not necessary to use every thread to justify your decision to everyone else. I can only think that the person who needs justification is you so please spare us the agony and remember that 100% of the people who decide to give up their country if birth, their families, their homes, jobs and businesses to leave SA make the decision for the same reasons as you. The difference is most do not have the need to keep justifying it, they just get on with it. So please cut the name calling and nastiness, there's really no place here for it. Thanks!

Edited by Johnno