Why did you come back?

RCJames

Question

I have to ask these question since my wife is asking.

If you have come back to SA, why did you come back?

Where in SA are you staying now?

How long did you stay in OZ and where did you stay?

Look forward to your responses

Perhaps we looking at it wrong? I Often think it's not Australia that doesn't suit p. It's migration. Some people just don't do well with change.

I know of people who have lived in Sa, then England, then Aust then back to Sa as both England and aus were just "horrible"

Turns out the wife prefers both to South africa but longed for the good life; full time maid,gardener and big house.

Guys, what do you think it is that makes Aus a turn-off to some who arrive, and a turn-on to others? Do you think it boils down to the Aus culture? Is it too brash, too ... outback? Too different to the SA/British colonial ways and norms we grew up with

I don't think it's Aus (or any country) that's the problem - I think it's the fact that it's not what people are used to that is the problem. That and your state of mind and circumatances. People look for external excuses to blame how they are feeling.

Surferman, you gest, I trust... 12 to 15 countries? Not that many, only 4, Rhodesia, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia... now only dual with New Zealand and Australia!

• Like 1

I love vibrancy of Australia-the different cultures, their food, their music. Today at school I just soaked in the cross section of beautiful young teenagers (yes I have decided there is such a thing ........haha)Italian,Greek,Congolese,Afghans,Brazilians,Sudanese,Indian,Vietnamese,Aussie-all bubble and noise, hip swinging, joyous young people and I am so grateful to be a part of it.

This is an old post but so relevant to many of us not there yet but starting the whole process. For me, leaving my family is going to be heartbreaking; but my husband and I agree that once we leave we are never looking back. Living in the thick of Jhb I have to agree with SurferMan. We have 3 kids, a boy of 4 and twin daughters who are 2. They have NO future here. For us to keep them in this country will just be selfish and wrong. We need to get out before we are just another statistic. I cannot live in this constant fear every day. I know so many people who are attacked daily. Hubby and I have good jobs, we are okay. But what happens to our children in 20 year time? As is, the large companies are not allowed to employ whites anymore. I cannot allow my kids to live in a shack and be street sweepers (for example) because we decided to stay. I fetch my kids from school after work and shops, come home, lock us all in and switch the alarm on. That is surely not quality of life? My husband works in Mozambique so comes home every 6 weeks and we are going for many reasons but mostly to be together. The crime is a major major issue for me. And I also realise that there is a major chance that one day if we decide to stay our children will not; and they will leave us in SA old, alone and scared shitless. No thanks. We are still in the beginning stages but I want to be out of here in a few months. And if Oz won't take us after all is said and done we are still leaving and going to Europe as we have EU passports. Either way we are outta here!

Edited by jogami
  • Like 3

Just to add: my parents gave us the best start in life. Riding my bicycle in the road in the sunshine, braais and swimming and lying on the hot cement or walking home after school. I had freedom; I think my kids deserve that too. This is not the South Africa of old. It has not lost its beauty, appeal and energy; but it has lost trust and there is a sense of foreboding in the air.

I cannot leave here and mourn. I prefer to take the good moments I have had and move on to my kids futures. I'm going to cry as well and I'm going to get homesick; but not so much for the place anymore but rather my family, friends and spirited people. But so many of my family are immigrating to other parts of the world and doing the same for their kids. I ache for my parents the most. They have a nice simple life, go on lots of holidays and breakfasts and have a manageable pension and house of their own. I will just ache for thelonging; her for her children and me for her.

• Like 5