Why did you come back?

RCJames

Question

I have to ask these question since my wife is asking.

If you have come back to SA, why did you come back?

Where in SA are you staying now?

How long did you stay in OZ and where did you stay?

Look forward to your responses

Friends of ours went back to RSA before we got to Auz, they were staying in Adelaide, their official reason was that their 1 year old daughter wasn't coping here in Auz, i suspect that they missed their people and lifestyle in RSA, and they didn't give it long enough to settle down this side.

They were in Adelaide for 1.5 years and they are back in Joburg now.

Edited by Nev

I don't know of anyone who has returned. At least not willingly. There are some unsavoury Saffers whom I had the dubious distinction of crossing paths with I could nominate though.... :jester: :jester:

Really dodgy types who cheated me out of quite a bit of cash. :boxing: :boxing:

• Like 3

The only South Africans that I personally know of that returned to RSA were here on work visas that were either not renewed or the company closed. They were all trying desperately to find other jobs in the allotted time, but to no avail and had no choice but to return.

We have had a couple of instances where people just could not settle, but I think, quite honestly, that they did not give it enough time. They say the first two years are the worst, if you can get over that then you will stay, no matter what.

I have personally moved countries five times, and yes, if there is one thing that I have learned, it is that you need to give it time and not make an emotional response. Actually children settle far faster than adults normally.

• Like 5

I know of a couple that returned ( from Melbourne ) after 1 year, the had a 2 year old and said they were homesick and just missed family too much. They said having to Skype with grandparents was " net te erg vir ons" ..

The big move is not for everyone.

• Like 2

An interesting thread. We have been here in Perth for just over a year, have made friends with a few SA families. One of the couples are really struggling and are considering going back, they are tired of the struggle and hard slog of everyday life. I also have a friend who came over a few years ago, her husband was the driving force behind the move. Last year she went home for a holiday with her two kids and told her husband she was not coming back. She stayed in SA got a job, put her kids in school. Long story short, hubby got a promotion to a different part of AUS and with this came more money. They had a lot to sort out but I'm happy to say she's back and they are giving it a good go. Being lonely and not feeling like you fit in can play havoc on ones personality. The emotional rollercoaster you hear mentioned so often is unbelievable. I have seen the effects with my own husband and it came as a big shock to both of us. As long as you are both on the same page and you are best friends, you will help each other through the hard times and love and enjoy the good times.

• Like 11

I have been here in Aus for just over two years.

To say that I have totally lost my sense of self would be an understatement.

I do not recognize the person I have become here, I have not had a single day that I have felt like my old self.

I miss SA, my friends and family, but most of all, my best friend. Someone who was my soul-mate.

Yes, Australia is safe, it is pretty , you can make a good life here.

So many pluses, but it is not home. The colours, the smells, even the sound of the birds, all so alien.

I am giving it 1000 days, and if things have not changed?

Well, I would like to think that I could pick up my old life and find that spring in my step again.

Feel the warmth of the African sun, and once again see the smiling faces of the people I love.

• Like 6

I do hear you, i don't yet have anyone i can refer to as best friends and that is after 2.5 years, we working on it but it is hard,

My only suggestion for if you do decide to head back, make sure you have your visa all sorted so if you return to RSA and realize as quite a few have that it isn't as good as you remember you can return to Auz.

I would guess you will be able to get citizenship around your timeframe, hold out for that and then you have the flexibility to stay there for as long as you want with a rescue option if you need.

• Like 5

There is a formite on here called RosFam. I read in a post of his that they left Sydney after a relatively short time, but is now planning to come back and give it another go. So I asked him why. This is what he replied in July '14:

"We left Sydney late in 2013 and always knew that we wanted to come back . Lots of reasons made us decided to withdraw back to SA, regroup and retink our migration which never really went according to the plan (if there is one). We were stressed , tired and had lots waiting for us back in SA , so the decision back easier and easier.. We went with a "if it works out we will stay" mindset and fell into the trap of thinking it would be easy. It wasnt.

Fast forward to coming back to SA , and realizing that as much as there are great places to go on holiday here , the food is awesome , we have parents here , and we can afford to change our mind, we didnt want this life anymore. So we have spent the better part of the last year trying to recover the energy lost from the emotional stress of it all , and finally , we think we are strong enough to make another go of it. South Africa is a good place, but you have to be a certain kind of person to live here day in and day out. With a long term view , we have decided to make the move back and make it permanenly.

If i have to give advice, i would say ,you have to go with the right attitude. Australia is not South africa and will never be , which has its good but also its bads. You have to be prepared to do whatever it takes to fit in and make a go of it. Hopefully we will land with the right mindset second time around , and may the rest be fireside stories for our grandkids ;) "

• Like 7

Interesting topic indeed! Our case is a bit unique as our main source of income during our time in Australia and still is our lodge in Cape Town. We went to WA at the end of 2007 with the intension to get passports for us and our then 4 year old twin boys. When we received citizenship after just over two years (old system) we decided to stay on, and later moved to the Sunshine Coast to also experience the other side.

After 6 years and a fast falling rand/dollar we decided to return to Cape Town and sell our business, with the idea to then return back. The selling has been harder than we envisaged, and we are still here two years later! Fortunately our business is growing well, and we are enjoying many things we have missed. We trust in God to bring the right buyer at the right time, and to then make a decision.

What is interesting is the fact that I was the one keenest to move to Australia. I was then the first one who was keen to return, whereas my wife was keen to stay! Now I am once again the one who is looking forward to our return! I must admit our decisions are being dictated by our kids and their futures. It gets tricky when one has to consider the blend of influences such as schooling, family, religion, finances, freedom and safety. There is however no question that Australia wins regarding the last two!

• Like 4

Hang in there January,

Making it work will be so worth it in the end. In my opinion there is nothing left in SA, property rights are being stripped, crime is not better, the only things that are on the rise are crime, corruption, violence, illegal immigrants and AIDS. If the Zulu king gets his way, KZN will be ceded to him. I always found that a laugh though, since the San and Khoi are actually the best entitled claimants but they are systematically deprived by Stalingrad legal tactics, as are the San in Botswana.

It's not easy to make it here, nor is it easy to push the roots down, but keep at it. I feel we have made it work, but I will consider it a success at this point already. SA is all about me, me, me, me. Give me a job, give me a house, give me a car, give me free medical, free this, free that. You bust your butt to get on top, and some political prick gets behind a mike and says you must be lucky to keep even what you have, cos the poor are losing patience. What the....what a load of bollocks. That kind of mindless greed and hate combination makes me shudder. Eskom is almost down the toilet proper, water is about to circle the drain, SANRAL won't stop until they have a tollgate boom in your driveway, SA has the biggest Cabinet in the world costing gazillions. The list just keeps on going, it amazes me how numb they all have become. Keep ya chin up girl, you can do it!!!!

• Like 4

The thing is-and I think most people will identify with that-is the head versus the heart.

Australia is the better place to be on every level, then why does it feel so wrong for me?

I was super prepared for my move here-followed all the advice, ticked all the boxes.

Did about 6 LSD trip here before we came( we do have family is Aus, but far from where we live now)

I was totally convinced this country was right for me.

My husband was not very keen to go all, so it took some major convincing on my part to make the move.

Now, I have all the guilt to contend with. He was right after all! We both feel lost and alien here.

Why after more than two years here? Does anyone have that same weird feeling of being misplaced all the time? My heart feels so heavy-it is an actual physical feeling.

We have made the effort to integrate into society, the Australians are a friendly bunch.

Will this feeling ever go away? Is it only me? Anyone else out there that feels this way?

• Like 1

Perhaps a trip back is what is needed to show you your options, there are lots of stories of people who went back then changed their minds and came back to auz, and are really happy for it.

Simply having a plan could also make you feel better, i don't know your circumstances but what about figuring out when your citizenship is due then planing a long term trip back to RSA, a holiday wont cut it, while you are on holiday it is all sunshine and roses but you will only understand if you are going to be happy, when staying there again, things like dealing with police, government, telkom, escom will only be a reality then.

Sure it is going to uproot your life perhaps twice, but if that is what is needed for your piece of mind for the rest of your life then it is a small price.

Just make sure you have your citizenship first.

Personally my wife and i have the same dilemma in terms of missing out peeps, fortunately we also know what we have left and never want to go back if we can help it

• Like 5

KarinWise,

I hope things pull right for you, we love it here and didnt feel like that at all. Nev has a good idea, but man its an expensive way to retest SA waters. My toe wont be dipping into there again if I can help it!!!

There was a program the 1st of a 3 part on ABC2 last night, about 9:30pm Sydney time about South Africa and the future for white people. I'm not saying all white people will have this happen, but I certainly think the next 10 years will produce a lot more challenges then oppurtunites.

http://www.jhblive.com/kultcha/features/the_white_squatters_of_krugersdorp/125155

This is what happens when there is no longer Apartheid to protect white people.These people would typically have dropped out of school and got a government job like on the SAR, local council, police / prison services etc.There is no more safety net for the poor and your white skin no longer guarantees you a job, housing subsidy or free medical aid. Sorry to sound harsh but it's true. Many white people were carried by the previous government and now without that helping hand the chooks have come home to roost and it's ugly!

I've watched the full documentary on this. It's called Extreme South Africa - White Squatter Camps by Reggie Yates, a BBC production. These people have no money, homes or even food but they pump out children yet they have money for drink and they all smoke. Other than the colour of their skin they are no different to the low class poor black people. Watch the doco and make up your own mind.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2014/08/20/more-than-45000-south-african-women-raped-so-far-this-month-blow-the-whistle

This is disgusting, but Im glad someone is getting the real stats, despite Gov trying to bury them.

This is disgusting and you know what PISSES ME OFF about it. Without trying to play the racists card, this is a black community problem! In this add to highlight awareness of the "blow the whistle campaign" there are about 20 people participating in the video of which only 3 were non-whites. One Indian, one black lady and a black man. These rapes and cases of child abuse is taking place mostly in the poor black communities so this is where it must be addressed and addressed by their own. In typical African culture they need an African solution for an Africa problem!

Edited by Johnno

Jonno, It doesn't matter if it is whites, blacks or greens, this isnt a race thing, this is the kind of environment you find in RSA regardless of your color, and this is a part of the reason why we will never go back unless we have no other option

• Like 6

Jonno, I do understand that some whites certainly required that "support" during apartheid. However there is more going on now. The new labor and employment equity laws have all been signed into law this year. That make it much more difficult to be in business and will make it even harder to find a job especially if you are white.

I know of a couple of Indian people that are now struggling to get work, the Banks do not want to take them in, the jobs are for African black males and females only, that is the current view.

So what do you do, try start a business, well guess what, your customers (big and medium businesses) are only prepared to do business with you if you meet a BEE score, why because they get points for buying from a BEE business. So how are you going to become BEE as a small business owner.

So yes your point is valid, but keep in mind, that South Africa is not creating jobs, they losing jobs at an alarming rate, so it obvious that more white people are going to end up out of jobs and will be joining these slums. Yes more blacks will also be out of work as well.

South Africa is currently caught in a vicious cycle at the moment and it is hard to see how that cycle will end.

People are going to adapt to living, they always will do so. But it certainly going to get a lot tougher in South Africa, there are big changes occurring in the country, the political talk certainly seems to say lets get even, it time now... pay back time...

• Like 2

Very emotive topic this one is. As for my own experience, I came to about within a month of joining those k/dorp folks, my fortunes had turned horribly south. God pulled me out of the mire and delivered me to Aus, but I have a close affinity to those people.

My post was more about the shockingly high rape numbers that Gov has up to now lied about, or just too bloody inept to capture and report on.

Rape knows no colour or creed, that fact that one can draw a statistical inference to a certain culture and/or population group does nothing to solve the issue. Off with their willies I say. Guilty=chop chop. I am gobsmacked at the sheer volume. By extrapolating the stats, you can infer an all up rape rate of almost 1 million men and women a year, not even Rwanda comes close.

That country is gripped by violence and greed, and serves up it's victims daily and with no remorse.

• Like 1

There's two topics in one thread.

Surferman, I agree with the rape comments, if found guilty (especially where a child is involved) they should get castrated!

The discussion of the employment in SA and the race based policies is a very emotive discussion and I've had some in depth discussions on this topic with people both overseas and those still living there. In principal I believe that post Apartheid SA needed some kind of AA/BEE policy to assist previously disadvantaged black people into the work place and hence the economy. It should have been capped with a time frame, managed and measured. Instead all we have seen is the politically connected getting richer and service delivery dropping as AA and BEE policies pushed more incompetent and unskilled people into councils and municipal jobs, all in the name of affirmative action.

I still have business interests in SA and speak almost daily to other businesses that we use as contractors and service providers. I can assure you that it is not as restrictive as many like to make it out to be. Yes, if you're in corporate banking or other big blue chip companies you will come up against restrictive policies which are unfair for the white qualified and experienced people and we all know a friend of a friend who's been hard done by by AA. But there are lots and lots of white Saffas that are doing extremely well for themselves and the only thing that will send them to a migration agent interview is crime, not job, career or earning restrictions.

It's swings any merry-go-rounds. If you're a tradesman in SA then you'll be better off as a tradie in Aus or UK. If you're a business owner, executive or entrepreneur then it's much of a muchness from a work and earning point of view. If you were successful in SA there's every chance you'll be successful wherever you throw your anchor. If you were average and just coming by in SA, well then average is much better off in Oz ;)

• Like 3

I was self employed in SA and earned a fortune by SA standards. I came to Oz and now earn more than double my best in SA and for 40 hours a week. I have nothing to whinge about. But yes the policies are ruining what even some of the most resilient of Saffers can come up with. Zooma is as slippery as they come and he will not be caught in this lifetime. The issue is each time a new one steps up they are a better model (meaning more skelm) than the previous one.

Its a shame mate, lots of good people stuck there.

IIts a shame mate, lots of good people stuck there.

and a lot of people who choose to be there, they do not want to leave.

Of course by SA standards you'll earn more in Oz but you also spend more, a lot more. Just take the one thing that we all strive for and need for our families and our future, a house!

Edited by Johnno
  • Like 1

For sure, been here 4 years and still not able to buy yet. but soon.

You'll get there and when you do it will be worth it!!

• Like 1