what don't you like about Aus?

monsta

I don't see any hooning in real life either...only see it on the tv news occasionally, usually in the far outer suburbs where there is not as much to do and fast cars seem to be a bigger deal to some.

do you ever see the tyre marks on the road?

do you ever see the tyre marks on the road?

No hooning skid marks, no. I double checked with my wife whether she has seen any around here and she said no as well - in case I'd forgotten. I'm sure it has happened but rare enough that we have never noticed. She said she has seen some skid marks in a suburb about 17km out of Brisbane on a main road down there (Beenleigh Rd). The main issue I have is ordinary folk, rather than hoons, being allowed to drive too fast on back streets.

Interesting about the gym equipment. Maybe Canberra is different but here at the Green Shed, or tip (next to the rubbish dump) there are all sorts of gym equipment to buy for dirt cheap. I think there are about 1000 bikes, lots and lots of dining room sets and chairs, old piano's, lounge suites, clothes, pictures, garden equipment etc. most in horrible condition but here and there still stuff that is near new or usable. I bought a lot of garden implements there for $1 each. Looks bad but does the same job as a new $40 Bunnings pitch fork :)

I am looking for a treadmill and before I go to gumtree I will have a look there as they have many treadmills standing around :)

I maintain that hooning in Aus is so prevalent because of the availability of cheap powerful cars. If SA had as many young people who were able to afford v8 Holdens and Fords, you wouldn't be able to breathe in Benoni because of all the tire smoke!

• Like 2

Wow poor Johnno is definitely the unluckiest person in Australia.

In the another discussion about crime he has been the victim of every crime committed in Australia and now he tells us that every hoon incident that happens in Australia happens within earshot of his house.

Poor guy so unlucky.

• Like 7

Lolz our house has been egged before! I laughed but my husband was so cross...and he had to paint over it because of the protein, or something. Made a big mess.

In the another discussion about crime he has been the victim of every crime committed in Australia and now he tells us that every hoon incident that happens in Australia happens within earshot of his house.

Poor guy so unlucky.

I am wondering, forgive me Johnno but I cannot help thinking that perhaps you may be happier in South Africa as it appears that most of your posts or comments do seem to place quite a negative slant on Australia, much like may expats place a negative slant on South Africa. Or am I reading it wrong? Just seems like this to me

• Like 3

Poor guy so unlucky.

I am wondering, forgive me Johnno but I cannot help thinking that perhaps you may be happier in South Africa as it appears that most of your posts or comments do seem to place quite a negative slant on Australia, much like may expats place a negative slant on South Africa. Or am I reading it wrong? Just seems like this to me

LOL, not quite but maybe I was the luckiest person in SA. Unlike you guys I cannot tell stories where in a 24hr period back in SA I was shot at, hijacked, escaped being murdered numerous times, had my car and household belongings stolen weekly and yet luckily lived through it all to tell the story to millions of Aussies. There, you want sarcasm....you got it :P

This thread is about things you dislike about Aus. I like and enjoy most things about Aus and it's probably the reason why after 13 years it's called home. But, there was one thing that I was very much unprepared for.......the anti SA expat South Africans. I digress but you know who you are ;)

Back to hooning. I can virtually throw a cricket ball from my front yard into Hillary's Boat Harbour. Here's a Google image of the car park at Hillary's. Would you prefer if I lied and said it was all a bed of roses, just turn a blind eye and deny any of what happens? I can but all I'll be doing is joining a bunch of ex Saffa's who prefer not to see or report on the reality of what is really going on. Just the other day (on the other thread) I commented that it was my belief that there is more violent crime happening. Well on the news this evening it starts off with an attempted kidnapping, armed robbery, guy shot at in his car whilst minding his own business etc.I can post the links from Aussie newspapers because I think the likes of people like funtobeaussiechick and Mikej are probably too busy reading IOL.co.za to see what's happening in their own neighbourhood.

Disclaimer: If me posting honest facts all backed up by links to newspaper reports puts a bit of a damper on your rose tinted views of Australia then I'll apologise in advance for being honest, frank and open. Unfortunately it does not change the facts.

Can you make out the tyre marks or should i point them out to you??

WDHaep2.jpg

Edited by Johnno
  • Like 1

Poor guy so unlucky.

Hey Mikej, I figured out why you're not familiar with hooning. As some else pointed out, it must be a pretty expensive "hobby" because first of all you need a V8 or hotted up V6 and then you need cash for burning through tyres. I've just noticed that you live in Albany where half the population is unemployed and living on the dole and the other half is pensioners who are also living on some kind of welfare benefits. The youngsters would have no cash left for a car, never mind hooning after buying drugs and booze for the weekend :wacko:

funtobeaussiechick, you're getting it wrong. If me pointing out facts and relaying what I see (after 13 years of living in Aus) is being interpreted by you as me being negative (as opposed to honest) then so be it. Let me not be the messenger of the news, just read the local newspapers, whatch TV and get out and about a lot more and you'll see for yourself.

Here's just a few links from the weekend. Remember, we're not comparing to SA, we just not ignoring what is really happening on the streets in one localised area, not the whole of Aus.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shop-owner-chases-off-armed-robber-with-knife-20140427-37bp7.html

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/policeman-dragged-by-car-after-liquor-store-theft-20140427-37box.html

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shot-fired-at-car-after-couple-park-in-alleyway-20140427-37boq.html

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/man-critical-after-city-club-brawl-20140427-37boe.html

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/war-medals-stolen-in-embleton-fire-20140424-376kz.html

Edited by Johnno

Guys not sure what's up - but yes Johnno in my view - is rather unlucky in his Australian experience. Many of his posts also suggest to me that, in the interest of his well being (considering my duty of care), he would likely be much happier if he went back to ZAR.

From previously wasting my time reading his posts, I also believe many of his very negative and totally biased posts do more damage than good - in as much as scaring those asking for help, advice and importantly a balanced view which in my humble opinion is soo unnecessary. The move is stressful enough without these type of unnecessary biased views stressing you out.

So .... you will note, I have 'switched him off' - so I don't waste any more time reading his biased negative and somewhat arrogant views.

post-12735-0-09716000-1398617769_thumb.j

post-12735-0-20187400-1398617787_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hey Mikej, I figured out why you're not familiar with hooning. As some else pointed out, it must be a pretty expensive "hobby" because first of all you need a V8 or hotted up V6 and then you need cash for burning through tyres. I've just noticed that you live in Albany where half the population is unemployed and living on the dole and the other half is pensioners who are also living on some kind of welfare benefits. The youngsters would have no cash left for a car, never mind hooning :

No, actually, I pointed out that Hooning is a relatively cheap hobby in Aus, and not an expensive one, which is why it seems prevalent, compared to SA.

That said, I wonder if Aus would class your average SA minibus taxi driver's antics as "hooning" or whether it would have it's own name... ;)

• Like 1

Ah hoons............actually there are just as many hoons in RSA, usually they have some sort of doof doof car with an amp in the boot that would make you deaf at half volume.................didn't any of you do donuts?

Johnno,,,,,,,,tsk tsk, having a dig about Albany, it's a lovely little place and I believe the unemployment rate is around 5.8% which would be the national average, quite good really given that whaling was the major industry up until the early 70's, so the town has managed to re-invent itself in a way.

52.5% of the people living in Albany are employed full time, 33.4% are working on a part time basis.

Albany has an unemployment rate of 5.8%.

57.4% of the people living in Hillarys are employed full time, 33.2% are working on a part time basis. Hillarys has an unemployment rate of 3.7%.

• Like 1

Actually you're right, I did part-take in the odd handbrake turn when I was young and stupid, but sadly my first car, although I loved it, was not powerful enough to do doughnuts and was also front wheel-drive, like most in SA!

By the time I got to Aus and could afford a powerful car, I had grown out of driving like a chop :)

Well I am not going to admit to anything here....but I drove a Ford Sierra XR8, at one time in RSA, I think to anyone that was familiar with them, mmmm, no donuts, but plenty of wheelies!

• Like 5

Well I am not going to admit to anything here....but I drove a Ford Sierra XR8, at one time in RSA, I think to anyone that was familiar with them, mmmm, no donuts, but plenty of wheelies!

Another reputation shattered.

Who would have thought Mara of all people a hoon. :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Haha, Mara, that's the post of the day. I knew you had it in you. My dad had the V6 - what a machine! But he was waaaay to sensible to ever rev the thing, let alone gooi a "broadie"...

I think if the Commodores and Falcons we have here in Aus were available so cheaply in SA, the road toll would be double.

Guys not sure what's up - but yes Johnno in my view - is rather unlucky in his Australian experience. Many of his posts also suggest to me that, in the interest of his well being (considering my duty of care), he would likely be much happier if he went back to ZAR.

From previously wasting my time reading his posts, I also believe many of his very negative and totally biased posts do more damage than good - in as much as scaring those asking for help, advice and importantly a balanced view which in my humble opinion is soo unnecessary. The move is stressful enough without these type of unnecessary biased views stressing you out.

So .... you will note, I have 'switched him off' - so I don't waste any more time reading his biased negative and somewhat arrogant views.

Yip, that's what many people in SA do when they do not want to face the truth......switch off by putting their head in the sand. Patrice and people like him are no different with the way they choose to handle things that they do not want to see or admit to in Oz.....just switch them off :D PS! The only duty of care you have is to be honest and truthful when posting and it appears that by hiding from the facts you're not even being honest with yourself. I'll leave it there, arguing with fools has never been my strong point ;)

Edited by Johnno

Moving to Australia is a bit like getting married. You are stepping off into the unknown with stars in your eyes and hoping for the best. The honeymoon phase of any marriage is great and we probably wish it could stay like that. If we are lucky then there might only be a few small bumps in the road.

This is what the move to Australia is like for at least half of us - smooth-ish, freeing, exciting and remembered with bliss. We have not come across any of the crimes in our daily lives and are grateful for that. Nobody says it doesn't happen (just like unhappy mariages) - just that it hasn't happened to us.

• Like 3

I'm still in the honeymoon phase then because I'm still loving it. :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Yip, that's what many people in SA do when they do not want to face the truth......switch off by putting their head in the sand. Patrice and people like him are no different with the way they choose to handle things that they do not want to see or admit to in Oz.....just switch them off :D PS! The only duty of care you have is to be honest and truthful when posting and it appears that by hiding from the facts you're not even being honest with yourself. I'll leave it there, arguing with fools has never been my strong point ;)

Again, not fair.............it is very frustrating that when people have not had the same experiences as you, that you suggest they do not want to face the truth or are burying their head in the sand.Johnno, are we all wrong and you are right? Not one person has suggested that there is no crime in Australia...................but most of us feel pretty safe and happy here..................our opinion about crime in Australia is different to yours and that does not make us fools.

Patrice is not a fool, he is well educated and well travelled..................it seems that if people don't agree with your viewpoint, that you have a go at them....................or suggest that they are bashing RSA, or wearing rose tinted glasses...............................geez, are you this frustrating in your everyday life?

Hitting people over the head with your opinion, is not going to make people change theirs............

• Like 4

Thanks Andrea. Dunno where he was getting the idea everyone was somehow leading newbies on ....

From the crime post also on the go, this is just as relevant here:

I have been following this post and johnno is exhibiting classic symptoms of being an internet troll,

He joins threads and posts stuff that by now he knows is going to get people riled up, then posts a pic of /popcorn when the drama starts, tells everyone he wont be giving any more advice and a few posts later is back with a article highlighted with words like "Given our extremely high offending rate around Theft from Motor Vehicle at present".

Having fun mate?

• Like 1

Johnno wants the honest truth and what is the truth? Ah I feel the old philosopher in me stirring.

"How was the meal?"

"Well to be "HONEST" there was a little too much salt in the sauce. However if you want the whole truth the meat was juicy and tender with the fat nicely crisped and the desert was heavenly. And in addition to that the company was warm and friendly and we had a great evening"

• Like 3

Johnno wants the honest truth and what is the truth? Ah I feel the old philosopher in me stirring.

"How was the meal?"

"Well to be "HONEST" there was a little too much salt in the sauce. However if you want the whole truth the meat was juicy and tender with the fat nicely crisped and the desert was heavenly. And in addition to that the company was warm and friendly and we had a great evening"

Hands down the best post I've read this week.

• Like 2