what don't you like about Aus?

monsta

Jordy,

The fact that Australia's market is ruled by a duopoly is actually a good thing. Coles and Woolies run a large efficient supply chains. They often pass on the savings.

I am more worried about the companies that are small and inneficient. Those guys charge a fortune and just say there is nothing they can do about it.

Cheers

My list would include:

- The excessive consumption of alcohol by both teenagers and adults

totally agree! The obsession alcohol is a national past time. Add into this drugs!!

- The "Australia tax" (I totally disagree with Fish's reasoning above to justify this but don't want to derail this thread by expanding.)

I preferred the SA tax man, far eaiser to cheat :whome: But I do however DETEST how things are "means tested". It appears that the Aus government awards people for being slack arse and lazy, basically it pays to be a loser!!!

- Hoons leaving tiremarks on roads

It's not the tyre marks, it's the inexperienced tool behind the steering wheel who has total disregard for law and order, respect for others, including innocent peoples lives!

- The weak governmental response to whaling and government killing of sharks in WA

Debatable unless you understand the science but social media is too powerful and too influencing to win that debate

- The fact that Australia's market is dominated by a duopoly.

Agree, and then what is not dominated is a franchise

- Burping in public seems acceptable

as is farting, spitting and all sorts of anti social behaviour.

Funny the things that annoy you when you been here a while, and have forgotten the hell hole that is South Africa. :)

At least in SA you could do something about it like give a guy a snot klup but here you''' be ridiculed for just saying something!!

Johno, the "Australian tax" is a term used, not to refer to revenue collected by the ATO, but rather to the increased price that foriegn companies charge Australians as opposed to Americans. For example a product will cost $100 on a USA based .com site, but $160 on a .com.au What irritates me is that software products that are downloadable and so the increased price is not attributable to shipping costs.

Johno, the "Australian tax" is a term used, not to refer to revenue collected by the ATO, but rather to the increased price that foriegn companies charge Australians as opposed to Americans. For example a product will cost $100 on a USA based .com site, but $160 on a .com.au What irritates me is that software products that are downloadable and so the increased price is not attributable to shipping costs.

yeah, totally agree for downloadable type products where you do not rely on,or expect local support. I run a business where we import products and our cost "on the shelf" is significantly higher than other countries, in particular USA. The cost to run a business in Aus is very high, especially the cost of employment. Added to one of the highest average wages (if not the highest), we have high minimum wages, costly payroll taxes, employer superannuation contributions, insurances and very generous leave, sick leave, carers leave, parental leave etc. Add to that a shortage of workers (retails biggest competitor is our tax funded welfare benefits) and one can easily see that it's pretty easy to be 30-40% more expensive for the exact same item on the shelf in USA. Also bare in mind that items purchased online for less than $1,000 from overseas does not have the 10% GST (and if duty if applicable) component either which really puts the Aussie retailer at a disadvantage.

Jordy,

The fact that Australia's market is ruled by a duopoly is actually a good thing. Coles and Woolies run a large efficient supply chains. They often pass on the savings.

I am more worried about the companies that are small and inneficient. Those guys charge a fortune and just say there is nothing they can do about it.

Cheers

I disagree. This duopoly is far too big to be healthy and it does not encourage competition. It's no longer about Woolies and Coles saving the customer money (although that's their perception) but rather bottom line profit, greed! Their buying power has strangled many suppliers and they import whatever they can, whenever they can. From conning people into discounted fuel vouchers to selling fruit "labelled fresh fruit" that has been frozen for months, we have been forced into being their consumer slaves.

Edited by Johnno
  • Like 1

burping? yeah encountered that in a big shopping centre. In hubby's face no less

as to what Fish said about limit in suburbs - the limit in Nicholls is 60 and IMO is way too fast. Sometimes when a car races past our house I cringe thinking if the dog ever gets out or the kids run after a ball they will be run over. Some people really drive like maniacs. Tradies are the worst. But still not anything what I experienced in Pretoria traffic though

burping? yeah encountered that in a big shopping centre. In hubby's face no less

as to what Fish said about limit in suburbs - the limit in Nicholls is 60 and IMO is way too fast. Sometimes when a car races past our house I cringe thinking if the dog ever gets out or the kids run after a ball they will be run over. Some people really drive like maniacs. Tradies are the worst. But still not anything what I experienced in Pretoria traffic though

Toitjie, I emailed my council about traffic in my road. They called me back 10mins later, logged the complaint and booked a follow up call date with me. Then they sorted the problem about a week later. They rang me about two weeks later to hear how things are going now and if I had anything else to add. I was blown away. Result!

I just wondered... Since Australia's policing is so good. Where does all these drugs come from? And how does it get distributed? Is it made locally?

This is true. A teenage girl burped unbelievably loudly near me yesterday. I was proud of my non-reaction.

Perhaps she should have done it at a more credible level? :)

I just wondered... Since Australia's policing is so good. Where does all these drugs come from? And how does it get distributed? Is it made locally?

Eyebrow - I find this interesting. Just from little things I hear, I will be able to do a good few drug busts but yet I dont hear about it (bust) that often. For example - the youngsters that works with my husband all use drugs. There is someone at work that sells it to them. They can also get it from a few restaurants. Interestingly, they told him to check out the car that the owner of that restaurant drives (expensive), yet his restaurant is rarely busy. I wish I was a detective...I would love a drug-bust

It angers me that the stuff is made and distributed to children. I am always worried about what is available at school.

Interesting - houses blow up and burn down all over as meth labs that "exceeded quality control standards". I don't mean to imply that the entire skyline lights up like Guy Fawkes night .... but the druggies do rent in suburban areas, as well as doing work in rural ares where barns can be destroyed.

In NSW, not so long ago, they were tightening up on ammunition sales and licencing because, apparently, there were more gang shootings. The firearms had mostly arrived "by surprise" - in other words they were not and had never been sold legally in the country. There was (apparently) a collusion between PO wokers, customs workers and a few others where they (the bad guys) were getting posted firearms from Europe. Even the police decided that maybe tightening up on domestic firearms owners was not justified .... for a change ....

Couldn't find recent figures but in the year ended 30 June 2012, police found 160 drug labs n WA alone. That's one state and only what police found.

http://mandurah.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Lab-busts-grow/7645750/

• Like 1

Police couldn't get rid of alcohol in the states when it was banned and I don't expect they will ever get rid of drugs either...not sure the way we go about it is the most sensible but it is a difficult question. The money available feeds all these crime gangs and increases crime. It is also criminalises addicts.

I read the other day that prescription drugs are used by people in a non-medical way (i.e. addicted) more than 21 times higher than heroin.

Loving this thread, worried about the drugs, but highly entertained.

Have to ask - what is a "hoon"?

Loving this thread, worried about the drugs, but highly entertained.

Have to ask - what is a "hoon"?

A windgat driver.

• Like 2

A windgat driver.

more accurately, a hoon is a complete imbecile with no regard for other people, the law and safety. They are a danger to society and should be shot! :angry2: Actually some of them are quite skilful drivers but this is how a Sunday afternoon outing to a local Cafe can become suddenly very entertaining....

PS! Note in the vid, the WA Police Ministers jacket......and we laugh at SA politicians outfits :lol:

here's a TV news report on hooning

Edited by Johnno
  • Like 1

The South African version of hooning.

Like I said, hooning is performed by a bunch of reckless uneducated self centred ass-holes who do not care about their own or anyone else's safety. But it looks like it happens "everywhere", just in Aus it's a daily event!

Interesting - houses blow up and burn down all over as meth labs that "exceeded quality control standards". I don't mean to imply that the entire skyline lights up like Guy Fawkes night .... but the druggies do rent in suburban areas, as well as doing work in rural ares where barns can be destroyed.

In NSW, not so long ago, they were tightening up on ammunition sales and licencing because, apparently, there were more gang shootings. The firearms had mostly arrived "by surprise" - in other words they were not and had never been sold legally in the country. There was (apparently) a collusion between PO wokers, customs workers and a few others where they (the bad guys) were getting posted firearms from Europe. Even the police decided that maybe tightening up on domestic firearms owners was not justified .... for a change ....

it's a very common and must be very lucrative business. Even the WA Police Commissioners son was arrested and charged with running a drug lab...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/five-burnt-in-suspected-drug-lab-blast/story-e6frg13u-1226127169963

Edited by Johnno

Police couldn't get rid of alcohol in the states when it was banned and I don't expect they will ever get rid of drugs either...not sure the way we go about it is the most sensible but it is a difficult question. The money available feeds all these crime gangs and increases crime. It is also criminalises addicts.

I read the other day that prescription drugs are used by people in a non-medical way (i.e. addicted) more than 21 times higher than heroin.

Hubby did recovery at one stage at his work where he basically has to put things in place, check what is missing etc. They make $1.1m per annum in losses. He says in the evening when the store is closed, he finds packets and packets of empty Nurofen packets.

He also regularly finds old shoes where someone has parked them and got new ones instead. He says their policy is (or law) that they may search handbags but not your clothes. They did search people at one time and were taken to court. Now they may not search anyone's person. the losses they make are huge...I just dont get it

And they throw literally hundreds of thousands of items away like packets of chips etc. I suggested that it be donated to charity but the bosses says the paperwork is just too much schlep, they rather bin it. And it gets crushed and thrown away, no-one can take it.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but every time I hear of these losses and how people steal I wonder why the companies take this. I'm sure I could lessen their $1.1m losses (this is for one store only) by appointing better security systems that would cost less than that

And they throw literally hundreds of thousands of items away like packets of chips etc. I suggested that it be donated to charity but the bosses says the paperwork is just too much schlep, they rather bin it. And it gets crushed and thrown away, no-one can take it.

Totjie, on the subject of throwing things away, wastage is one of the things that I really don't like. I know we live in a totally different environment to what we lived in back in SA but there very little went to waste. Wheteher it was a few sarmies that you did not manage to eat at work or left over dinner there was always someone who could do with a meal, probably the only one they would have that day.

I went to look for boxes one Saturday afternoon and landed up at the back of a Woolworths store.WOW!!!!! I could not believe my eyes! The amount of food stuffs that was dumped was incredible. I queried my nephew who was working for Woolies in their management program and he rattled off a whole lot of reasons as to why the food cannot be sold at a reduced price, never mind given away. In fact there was a documentary on TV not too long ago where a couple ate only from local supermarket disposable sites. They showed what they ate and if no one told you where it came from you'd never know the diffs.

Sticking to the topic, I also dislike how 2nd hand goods like mattresses can not be given to charities. We replaced our kids beds and tried to give the mattresses to The Salvation Army (they normally collect old stuff for charity) but was told "sorry, mattresses not allowed for health reasons!" We then tried dropping them off at the local recycling station and they do not take them either. It's no wonder when I go bush riding with my son on our dirt bikes we see so much illegal dumping!

Oh, I almost forgot. I had a home gym, good condition, hardly used (trust me, like new) so I loaded it up and took it to the recycling depot where I was told, "sorry mate, we cannot take gym equipment". I asked why and was told that the municipality could get sued if someone hurt them selves using the equipment so from a liability point of view, they could not take it. I would need to dismantle it and throw it into the metal recycling section! Luckily some bloke saw it and asked if I could give it to him to which I agreed, we were both happy but I drove away shaking my head.

Edited by Johnno

That's pretty bad Toitjie. Where I used to work we searched prams a few times...I wonder what the law is on that?

I just thought I would mention that I've never actually seen any hooning in Australia (been here 7,5 years now). I've seen a few skid marks on the road but nothing more.

I just thought I would mention that I've never actually seen any hooning in Australia (been here 7,5 years now). I've seen a few skid marks on the road but nothing more.

I have also never seen hooning in Aus, only the odd skid mark. Guess thats one of those first world oroblems where the hoon can buy himself new tires. When living in the UK, the youths (much used word there for obvious reasons) would always throw eggs at each others or pelt the public at bus stops etc. I always thought how that just illustrates the difference of the "baddies" of UK vs RSA. In RSA egg were for eating! Things would have to be pretty good for you to throw food.

I have also never seen hooning in Aus, only the odd skid mark. Guess thats one of those first world oroblems where the hoon can buy himself new tires. When living in the UK, the youths (much used word there for obvious reasons) would always throw eggs at each others or pelt the public at bus stops etc. I always thought how that just illustrates the difference of the "baddies" of UK vs RSA. In RSA egg were for eating! Things would have to be pretty good for you to throw food.

I hear hooning quite often, mainly Thursday nights (late night shopping) and Fri/Sat nights as we live quite near the beach and the car park at the beach seems to attract some late night hooning antics! I laughed at the "egging" comment. A few years ago my wife and I were invited to dinner at a very fancy home in upmarket Cottesloe and whilst we were enjoying our meal and conversation we heard "doef doef doef" on the large glass bi-fold doors. I had no clue what it was until the host jumped and said "blood kids egging us again". We all rushed outside but the kids were long gone, the only indication that they were there was the splatted eggs on the doors and walls!Unlike our host, I thought it was quite but when he said it happens at least once a month I could see why he a sense of humour failure.

Edited by Johnno

I don't see any hooning in real life either...only see it on the tv news occasionally, usually in the far outer suburbs where there is not as much to do and fast cars seem to be a bigger deal to some.