Does Australia offer a better life than South Africa?

JuliaClaire

(PS - I LOVE my crocs, hahaha so that makes me *worse* whatever that means ;) )

I hope you took my crocs comment on the good humour it was intended :) If not, please refer to the disclaimer in my signature.

For the record, I hate crocs and think they look silly, but I would never think badly of a person wearing them... or tattoos... because, hey, we're all different. To some people I probably have a silly looking face!

(I don't, I'm ridiculously good looking by the way) :)

That being said, I don't have any respect for anyone who ever handed over money for Ed Hardy merchandise, now that's just stupid!!!

Offended? Disclaimer!!

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 6

Just for the sake of weighing in on something that affects my decision on anywhere I want to move, and I did the comparison based on the two cities mostly being compared (although it of course differs somewhat from place to place)

These are by no means hard and fast stats - but it gives a good indication of the human element.

ScreenShot2013-10-10at92917AM_zps0a02433

Sorry if its a stupid question Hansa, but what is Ed Hardy merchandise?

JuliaClaire

I understand exactly what you are talking about. Last year when we went on the LSD trip I went through all the same thoughts as you.

And since then the longer its been from our return date, it seems that those things that bothered me there is now insignificant to the tings that concerns me here now in south africa.

I am so glad that we had the opportunity to go on a LSD as it gave me a chance to come to terms with the differences, after all that my yearning for freedom is no more than ever.

Good luck

Sorry if its a stupid question Hansa, but what is Ed Hardy merchandise?

Not at all. It was a "fashion" label that only lasted a couple of years and then went bankrupt.

• Like 2

Hansa - LOL, no I was being very tongue in cheek ;) (and I love your disclaimer hahaha)

I have foot issues from too-lax ligaments and crocs are some of the very few shoes that don't hurt my feet. I even have little black ones I wear to work (shock! Horror!) you never see anything but the toes which, since they're matte black, look like lots of other flat work shoes. ;)

wow what a sidetrack :)

anyhoo.

Edited by McCabes

From your post it doesn't sound like you want to emigrate. Either that or you are getting a case of cold feet because it's so much change? I don't know u personally so I'm not sure which is true.

As far as Perth goes, yes, it has a reputation for having lots of bogans, but there are plenty of lovely middle-class suburbs in Perth where any self-respecting immigrant could be happy.

I also have some bad news for you...you could live I the fanciest of suburbs anywhere in Australia and will still have to deal with the odd bogan lol

Heck, you may even find yourself enjoying some of the more bogan things in life, like going shopping in flip flops without make-up on, or not bothering to wash your hair on a Sunday or even eating a sausage on a slice of bread!

Seriously my dear, by asking if aus really offers a better life than South Africa I feel a tad insulted because seriously, yes, we ALL sacrificed and gave up a lot by leaving, but On,y temporarily and Im sure speak on behalf of hundreds of thousands of other saffers who have decided to call oz home.

Just try make up your mind and then put your all into it, get excited and be positive, enjoy the change!

Firstly, no sure why you would find my question insulting. There are many people who live a good life in South Africa and I know one or two who have consciously allowed their australian permanent residency to lapse. So I find it a valid question, not an insulting one. Secondly, for some reason I find being called 'my dear' incredibly annoying!!

• Like 1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and obviously it is a problem to some people on this forum because I don't feel comfortable with people covered in tattoos and want my children to go to private school or want the large house.

We should be allowed to give our views, not feel that if tattoos bother another person that we are not allowed to express it or if someone else lives in a large home and wants that here, that we are not allowed to express our views.

I don't think that I judge people as harshly as you think, but every person is different and has different views.

That is what this forum is for - to put the good and the bad out there for other people to make their own decisions.

Short answer, YES,

Auz is what you make of it,

2 weeks ago we were camping at Bear gulley near wilsons prom for the weekend,

Last weekend's camping was the Deni Ute Muster (Described by many as a bogan festival) it was huge fun

This weekend we are off to Victoria's little desert, for a 8 day camping trip

Then we have a weekend off and we going to mount Franklin for the weekend

(Have a squiz if you want to see some of Victoria - https://www.facebook.com/nfoyn)

We have found some great peeps to go camping with and they trying to convince us to start hiking as well - Not sure im quite fit enough for that tho :)

www.meetup.com

So if you arrive looking for a great new life you will find it

Edited by Nev
  • Like 2

I want to thank everyone for responding to my question, especially those who gave great advice!

I didn't expect some of the negative comments though.

I didn't realize some of us with PR visas who aren't jumping on the next plane to perth are an insult to others out there!

I suppose the subject is an emotive one!

Whats bogan about flip flop shopping lol ?, viva boganville in that case......

• Like 2

I don't feel comfortable with people covered in tattoos

We should be allowed to give our views, not feel that if tattoos bother another person that we are not allowed to express it.

Feeling that you are entitled to go around telling people that their tattoos bother you is OUTRAGEOUS it is insane.

Edited by Mikej
  • Like 1

I think I'm going to get a Tat............who are we to judge what people do with their bodies or how they look, such a Staffer thing.

I think I'm going to get a Tat............who are we to judge what people do with their bodies or how they look, such a Saffer thing.

Particularly with regard to your new hosts, don't judge, they were there first, fit in or ship out

Ok apologies all around I'm sorry I got upset after reading how hurt Andrea was by what was said. Sorry.

Along those lines though... while I agree we all have every right to our opinions, perhaps it would be better if we were all a little more thoughtful when it comes to sharing them. A little consideration can go a long way.

hahaha Mike, that's exactly what I thought. :D

shall I climb out of the closet? :) I have a tattoo...only one but I love it. i have always wanted to have another one but never got around it :)

• Like 5

shall I climb out of the closet? :) I have a tattoo...only one but I love it. i have always wanted to have another one but never got around it :)

Bogan ;)

• Like 2

Hi there I see your concerns about Australia but I firmly believe that it is a better place for your family to grow but the actual process is more complicated than what is best for the family. Immigration is hard.

As for Prissymissy I would like to give you a taste of your medicine. I judge you as being an ignorant cow that has little idea of what people are all about. We are not merely physical vessels. I only hope your children are not as ignorant as you and that life teaches them the error in your judgmental ways. We dont need more people like you.

We all allowed an opinion and if that is yours ..... this is mine.

• Like 3

Whilst we're making confessions....I had a tongue piercing for a few years. Yup. Dumbest thing I ever did, but I enjoyed the shock value and loved it at the time...

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 1

LOL, and it all comes out.

I don't have a tat but will confess to a belly ring :P

Bogan ;)

:P

LOL, and it all comes out.

I don't have a tat but will confess to a belly ring :P

he he...I had one but when I got pregnant with my oldest it chafed against my denims so I took it out. Never put it back but I still have it. Maybe when I hit 40 I will put it back, get another tat and start wearing crocs :)

• Like 2

:P

Maybe when I hit 40 I will put it back, get another tat and start wearing crocs :)

LOVE it!!!

Exactly the reason I have been staying off these boards lately.

Julia, I believe Australia lets us have a better quality of life, but it comes with sacrifices. For me that's leaving my widowed mother in RSA, and the guilt I live with is very hard somedays.

My only advice from your original post, it does sound like you are not committed to the move, and I would strongly urge that both you and hubby are 100% committed, that you are both on the same page. You must both want this equally, as there may be days when your marriage will be tested.

Most people do this for their children - which is understandable, but be aware too that children grow up and may not want to live in Aus, or may not go on to become highly educated members of the community, some parents get very disappointed that they uprooted their lives and their kids did not turn out the way they would have wished.

Aussies are a very open minded nation, some may say a little rough around the edges, many swear, many have sleeves, many smoke a bong, or chose to wear uggs and denim diapers, but they don't harm you. They are just different people, going about their daily lives as best they can. It is not our place to judge. If we don't like it, we have the choice to move on.

Just be certain that this is the life you want, because even if you are determined to make it work, there will be days when you will wonder what the heck you are doing.

All the best with your decisions, I can say that after nearly five years of ups and downs the move has been worthwhile.

• Like 4

HI Lyn...so good to "See" you! I was wondering where you were...OBD for that matter too! I missed seeing you

Missed you too my friend, but have kept up to date with your journey.

Wonder where the semi naked Greek god is ? It is school hols, not that he has school aged kids, but maybe he's down at Baremans Bay !

• Like 1

I think you are a bit over sensitive , I did say a TAD insulting ..think about why? We not all morons for emigrating, we had very valid and real reasons, don't minimise them. I don't go onto rainbow nation and tell people they stupid for staying...just a thought...

And don't worry yourself, I won't be calling you "my dear" again..which is just a habit by the way...

And don't concern yourself with the advice of a bogan lawyer,with 2 tattoos who has lived in oz for 4 years, been to Perth and Brisbane and lived in Sydney and Melbourne ..

May I call you Mate?

Edited by elleneo
  • Like 6