What sucks about Australia?

sammyjo

Project - Proh-ject

Router - Rooter (a rooter is somethinK else in RSA)

Edited by Sa2Nz2Oz

"How ya goin'?"...uh...by foot :unsure: ??

My very Afrikaans nephew was asked by a teacher, " How ya goin' ", he preceded to tell her that he was going to town and he would be walking.......exit one very confused teacher, who later admitted this to him......he is so thoroughly Australianised now that he is almost unrecognizable.

I find the Aussies pronunciation of the word project correct. Maybe I speak funny English :unsure:

How does a Saffer refer to a professional golfer ? You say he's a pro. Just like the Aussies pro - ject. Sorry - don't mean to nitpic - but I'm with the Aussie on this one

hmm yip but then you get the word yoghurt and sno-gurt...Yoghurt as in Yo and Sno as in Snow...BUT the brits love to say the O as the sound not the letter so my argument is then the o in snoghurt should also be the sound...just doesn't go down well.

Then you get our street...Chiton..now of course in the english language Ch can be ch as in chair of sh as in Charmaine...but get this here sooooo many say K as in Kiton..WTH?

Andrea..I don't know of anyone that likes the redhead...but the competition is just as much of an .......

• Like 1

I find the Aussies pronunciation of the word project correct. Maybe I speak funny English :unsure:

How does a Saffer refer to a professional golfer ? You say he's a pro. Just like the Aussies pro - ject. Sorry - don't mean to nitpic - but I'm with the Aussie on this one

But you don't say PROfessional. You say pruh-fessional. And you don't say PROjector screen. You say pruh-jector screen. But then I guess we do say PROgram. Who knows?!

hmm yip but then you get the word yoghurt and sno-gurt...Yoghurt as in Yo and Sno as in Snow...BUT the brits love to say the O as the sound not the letter so my argument is then the o in snoghurt should also be the sound...just doesn't go down well.

Then you get our street...Chiton..now of course in the english language Ch can be ch as in chair of sh as in Charmaine...but get this here sooooo many say K as in Kiton..WTH?

Andrea..I don't know of anyone that likes the redhead...but the competition is just as much of an .......

Makes sense if you think of the word CHaos.

You know me ;) I like the majority of her policies compared to the opposition policies (though of course there are some duds) and she seems like an intelligent and tenacious person but not the best salesperson and political game player.

The policy havoc Abbott will unleash depresses me...Australia will suck more when he is finished with it...

Edited by Fish
  • Like 2

But I do say PRO - not pruh. Crickey I must speak funny !

On the subject of ranga - another word I'd never heard - pubs (pronounced pu (bic hair) = public servants

• Like 1

...On the subject of ranga - another word I'd never heard - pubs (pronounced pu (bic hair) = public servants

I've never heard that one...do you just have a weird friend maybe ? :) Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

But you don't say PROfessional. You say pruh-fessional. And you don't say PROjector screen. You say pruh-jector screen. But then I guess we do say PROgram. Who knows?!

Makes sense if you think of the word CHaos.

LOL Very true...didn't think of that. Guess it all boils down to the English language being one of the most difficult to learn. Not surprising. My poor 6 year old is really not happy with the kn sound right now like knife..he told me the other day it's stupid lol.

You know me ;) I like the majority of her policies compared to the opposition policies (though of course there are some duds) and she seems like an intelligent and tenacious person but not the best salesperson and political game player.

The policy havoc Abbott will unleash depresses me...Australia will suck more when he is finished with it...

Abbott reminds me of Tony Blair. He even looks like him...and that is scary.

But I do say PRO - not pruh. Crickey I must speak funny !

On the subject of ranga - another word I'd never heard - pubs (pronounced pu (bic hair) = public servants

LOL! Don't worry to much. Everyone has a bunch of words they PROnounce a little differently to everyone else I'm sure :)

LOL Very true...didn't think of that. Guess it all boils down to the English language being one of the most difficult to learn. Not surprising. My poor 6 year old is really not happy with the kn sound right now like knife..he told me the other day it's stupid lol.

YES! Foreign language learners must think it makes no sense that 'fat chance' and 'slim chance' mean the same thing :)

I've always tried to keep an open mind on the Ranga, girl power and all that good stuff, and I agree that I'm not sure what to think of a guy who is all ears (not sure he uses them half the time), but the last 6 months has made it very hard not to say "can we please just have a change".

Australia is in the unfortunate position of having two pollies (see another shortened word, and I think so apt as they do seem to get stuck in sqawking soundbites that someone has taught them without thought) who are equally uninspiring. I know its a first world problem, but I would so love to have an inspiring leader who has some vision. I worry that we will spend so much time navel gazing worrying about a few asylum seekers that the bigger issues will engulf us. What are we going to do about productivity, rising costs, our dying manufacturing sector, bridging the two speed economy, improving infrastructure and so much more.

While I do hope that we have our citizenship by the election so that I can vote, part of me is glad that I can't vote as I'm not sure who I would vote for.

• Like 1

Going back on PROnuciations, Ok, lets confuse it a bit further - pronounce the word Naked, now replace the N with a B - what do you get? English is a fantastic language, kom ons praat nou afrikaans - Kaalgat Gebak!

your kidding right here in aus charmaine can be pronounced as carmaine

Fish, I dislike the redhead, but I dislike Abbott more, I lived here when that mob were in power......I remember Workchoices and what it did to people, so I think we are between a rock and a hard place and don't know how I will vote........I honestly don't think I can vote for him or the party.....

It is tough I don't think either are capable .. Throwing my hat in the ring however, joe hockey now that's the one reason ... The voice of fiscal reason that will catch me at the polls

I can't help but like Joe Hockey too, he is a lot more colourful than Wayne Swan

Joe Hockey seems like a down to earth bloke but that kinda worries me. He doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. I don't really want to trust him with my money to be honest.

I'm definitely more in favour of liberal policies, but geez, their leadership doesn't fill me with confidence...

• Like 1

What sucks?

1. The huge coins as small change. Not much place in my purse.

2. Agree on the pronounciation of Majji ( and not Maggie).

We went to Pizza Hut on Friday night and the young guy behind the counter kept on saying, "Hi Harry!" to every single person coming in. We gathered that he must possibly be saying, "Hi, how are you going?" but just very fast!

Then on the "How are you going (sometimes sounds like doing)", we've been answering back "Fine and yourself?" ...........with no response...... We've decided to not say anything back anymore - we end up feeling sheepish!

Still learning......

What sucks?

1. The huge coins as small change. Not much place in my purse.

2. Agree on the pronounciation of Majji ( and not Maggie).

We went to Pizza Hut on Friday night and the young guy behind the counter kept on saying, "Hi Harry!" to every single person coming in. We gathered that he must possibly be saying, "Hi, how are you going?" but just very fast!

Then on the "How are you going (sometimes sounds like doing)", we've been answering back "Fine and yourself?" ...........with no response...... We've decided to not say anything back anymore - we end up feeling sheepish!

Still learning......

Agree on the "How are you going", we also answered "Fine and yourself"

Also agree with those huge coins - need a wheelbarrow!

• Like 1

I buy one of those savings tins and throw all my change in it, you'd be surprised how it adds up.

I must admit that I usually get a response when I say " Fine and you" but that might be because people are used to me now. Otherwise I will "great", or " I'm good, how about you?".

Remember that for most people working in the service industry, they have to use a greeting, It's part of the training, but becomes automatic, so some people get a genuine shock when you ask how they are.

• Like 3

Its funny, here on the Gold Coast the weather at the moment is still very good but then you get people here on beach with woolies on and beanies or then a girl with shorts/jersey and Ugg boots - here I am in my baggies and T shirt! Its really not cold enough for that kind of clothing. But really some of the people have bad dress sense here, my wife saw this aswell. I have nothing against tattoos but everybody has one here and some are just bad bad artwork and they are thinking they are unique? So to be unique here dont get a tattoo. Does having tattoos on your neck and face here jeopardize your career selection? because I wonder if these kids have thought about this for their futures?

Have I started another topic now - Tattoos?

Thanks Andrea! Must admit, we've had two or three people replying with "Fine, thanks! (accompanied with a huge smile). It makes sense when you say it might be out of habit, that they greet and are surprised with a response! :-)