What sucks about Australia?

sammyjo

No, you cannot discriminate against someone because of body art or the way they dress, unless you have a uniform policy. Remember that you will se a lot of New Zealanders or other islanders with tribal tattoos.

You will also see a lot of spacers through time, the circles that you put in your ears and graduate to bigger ones until you have a huge circular hole in your ear.....not my personal like....but each to their own.

I'm quite into body art, so I've seen some pretty brilliant tattoos, but yes, there are some skadonky home type jobs around.

As for clothing, I'm in trackies and socks and a warm cardigan at the moment, you will soon acclimatise and if the temp drops below about 25 you'll be reaching for the thermals.....lol

No, you cannot discriminate against someone because of body art or the way they dress, unless you have a uniform policy. Remember that you will se a lot of New Zealanders or other islanders with tribal tattoos.

You will also see a lot of spacers through time, the circles that you put in your ears and graduate to bigger ones until you have a huge circular hole in your ear.....not my personal like....but each to their own.

I'm quite into body art, so I've seen some pretty brilliant tattoos, but yes, there are some skadonky home type jobs around.

As for clothing, I'm in trackies and socks and a warm cardigan at the moment, you will soon acclimatise and if the temp drops below about 25 you'll be reaching for the thermals.....lol

I like the New Zealand Maori or Samoan tattoos... but those scribbly rubbish bugs me. When I lived in NZ I saw quite a lot of nice tattoos.

I suppose when I lived in Pretoria I was in shorts throughout winter and didnt get too cold - maybe I have the weird temperature control in my body?

I like the New Zealand Maori or Samoan tattoos... but those scribbly rubbish bugs me. When I lived in NZ I saw quite a lot of nice tattoos.

Sorry, I forget you had lived in NZ. Fontwork, as in lettering seems to be the fad of the moment. I especially see a lot of women have their kids names and dates of birth tattooed an their back or arms.

Sleeves are another popular thing, they look great on young, toned arms but less great when you develop bingo arms....lol

Changing the baby bonus subject. Australian word pronunciation (not all people), some examples:

Word Aus pronunciation

Drawing - Drawring

Nothing - Nothink

Maroon - Mar-own ( here in Qld, please let me know if it is same in other states)

Mayor - Mare

Please add to the list

Just to throw a spanner in the works: how do you pronounce the word "brooch"? Do you say it phonetically or do you say "broach"? Isn't that perhaps why "maroon" is pronounced "maroan"?

Thing is Pygmalion, it seems everywhere else in the world Maroon is said to rhyme with moon, baboon, balloon, yet in Australia it is Marown, funny thing too, ask any Aussie what they call the band Maroon 5 and it is MarOOn 5. And balloon, moon, baboon etc are not said ballown, mown and babown. Just Marown has it's own unique way of being said, perhaps something to do with sport?

Marown is my pet hate... along with HAITCH instead of aitch.

• Like 1

I don't like the 'Haitch' either, but find ( to my horror) myself saying it when going over spelling words with Mr 8, it is probably more phonically correct than ' Aitch' but still feels alien.

Just to throw a spanner in the works: how do you pronounce the word "brooch"? Do you say it phonetically or do you say "broach"? Isn't that perhaps why "maroon" is pronounced "maroan"?

Bloody english for you..... you right on this one

I don't like the 'Haitch' either, but find ( to my horror) myself saying it when going over spelling words with Mr 8, it is probably more phonically correct than ' Aitch' but still feels alien.

Yes another one - "Haitch" , it was picked up by my wife, she has an eagle eye for these things.

Thing is Pygmalion, it seems everywhere else in the world Maroon is said to rhyme with moon, baboon, balloon, yet in Australia it is Marown, funny thing too, ask any Aussie what they call the band Maroon 5 and it is MarOOn 5. And balloon, moon, baboon etc are not said ballown, mown and babown. Just Marown has it's own unique way of being said, perhaps something to do with sport?

Marown is my pet hate... along with HAITCH instead of aitch.

If it makes you all feel any better not everyone is totally oblivious to the controversy. When the Maroons were first formed at the launch of state of origin there was much discussion and argument in the press about the pronunciation. Ultimately the decision was made so the "local" pronunciation is now probably locked in forever due to the state football team. :)

Edited by Fish

Here is another spanner for you. Why dont Aussies then pronounce Baboon as "Baboan"?

Aussies gebruik verkleinende vorm vir baie goed. Soos "tradies" vir Trades Men en "sicky" vir off-sick.

Ek wonder of hulle ook doccy en accy sal gebruik vir gespesialiseerde beroepe soos Doktor en Accountant???

Die ergste is verseker "Freo"

Meskien moet almal net begin Afrikaans praat... al is dit nou plat, Kaapse Afrikaans. Ten minste sal ons lekker kan lag.

Or perhaps they should send Sheldon Cooper a visa so that he can come and correct their pronunciation during every day conversation.

As for the Baby Bonus I fully support the decision even though we plan on starting the family in Aus.

Baby Bonus is $5000 while parental leave pay equates to $10917 before tax. (Still a lot more after tax than the baby bonus)

This implies that they want parents to work and contribute to tax and the economy before they get the benefits. This seems fair.

This means less people just sitting at home, bored, making babies, which they can not afford to care for in the first place as they do not earn anything.

Also, apart from the baby bonus, it will cost the state a lot more to school and care for the babies until they are adults and there is no guarantee they will end up contributing to the economy.

In the long run I think it is a sound decision.

Besides, it is a lot cheaper to import the skills they need, when they need them. Immigrants also invest a lot in visa charges and often bring their savings with them. A real boost to the economy.

I guess we need to acknowledge that South Africans have some strange ways of saying things too. For example, we all fetch our kids from school, don't we? Apparently, using "fetch" within that context is extremely funny because a dog fetches; kids are "picked up" from school.

• Like 1

Actually both are correct but implies possible difference or specifics in method of performing the action.

Fetch - to go to where somebody/something is and bring them/it back (Collecting the children from school in any way. Could be by foot.)

Pick-up - go somewhere to collect someone, typically in one’s car.

Potayto Potato

Here is another spanner for you. Why dont Aussies then pronounce Baboon as "Baboan"?

Cause baboons don't play state of origin :)

I guess we need to acknowledge that South Africans have some strange ways of saying things too. For example, we all fetch our kids from school, don't we? Apparently, using "fetch" within that context is extremely funny because a dog fetches; kids are "picked up" from school.

Yes typical RSA one - "Just now" or "Now now" Duh!

Nothing more frustrating than just now is that 15 mins away , half and hour away or longer equally frustrating is now now is it also 5 mins away but no longer than 10 mins .. So yes there are anomalies in all spoken languages whether they are Strayan or some other off shoot of English