What sucks about Australia?

sammyjo

Shucks, this is off putting stuff, wonder if I'd know all about these things if I would have made the move? Don't like the bogan & hoon thing......sounds simply dreadful!

It would be naive to think that everything in Aus is perfect. I was and I did! Took me a while to reconcile that there are plenty of idiots here who mess it up for the rest as well, just like in all countries.

That being said, they are in the minority and society in general hates them too.

Your reasons for wanting to move here have not changed have they? If not, don't let it bother you.

Life in general is far, far more calm, law abiding and peaceful here than in SA...

Trolleys, the fact that a South African tried to right the wrong and that Aussies dont seem to think that there is anything wrong with crab walking your groceries

Brolies or Umbrellas, cant seem to find a good cheap one....gone through a few, if I had to bring a container it would be tons of good brollies

Kmart, be selective or stand in the returns queue often

Dogs walking the pavements Bondi Beach or parts of Sydney, I love my dogs, must have had at least 10 rhodesian ridgebacks nevermind fox terriers, maltese but to see a dog walking along the pavement and sniffing a lamp posts and corners of shops. Most times there are tied up while owners have lunch or coffee so they are obviously allowed to mess where we walk. Sorry love them like children but on the grass asseblief.

At first I was also amazed that the main bedroom is often at the front door but I have a theory.

In South Africa the bedrooms are always together for security reasons but that is not an issue at all in Australia so people design the main bedroom away from the kids bedrooms. Sound travels through the soft walls here and it is more pratical to have the parents bedroom apart from the kids rooms. When I designed our house it was on a tight budget and I discovered that if you want the main bedroom seperate from the kids rooms it has to be near the front door or alternatively off the living area.

So that is the bigbedroomnexttothefrontdoor theory.

As an Aussie I would say you are on the money. To add to this, in modern homes there was big demand to have all the living areas at the rear of the house overlooking the pool/backyard to create seamless in/out living. This left the front of a single story house for the bedrooms. The parents bedroom would be placed on one side of the house (opposite side to the garage usually) with ensuite, walk in robes, retreat etc etc while the childrens rooms would cluster together behind the garage and/or in the middle of the house - centered around the main bathroom.

Edited by Fish

Shucks, this is off putting stuff, wonder if I'd know all about these things if I would have made the move? Don't like the bogan & hoon thing......sounds simply dreadful!

Like anywhere it is not compulsory to live near the bogans or hoons. :)

Edited by Fish

There are 100x more bogans and hoons in South Africa - you just call them different things - like taxi drivers for example! B)

• Like 1

Jordy I'll take a $3 can of coke over the current food and petrol prices in SA! I'm dying here, considering getting a bicycle!

Petrol is cheap in SA .. filled up with Shell 95 today in Berowra - $1.63 (-8 cents Coles coupon of course)

** You can get cheaper petrol - BP and Caltex - and depends on where you fill up. I prefer Shell and I struggle to throw E10 into my car - I bought so many horses under the bonnet :) and now I have to let them gallop on E10.. no way :)

And YES.. the MEAT is really different, not inedible , but different : PS: the $6/pKg mince at Coles compares to Super Lean SA Woolies mince! Save you money for the Steaks and buy the "Regular Mince"

Love the Trolleys - can move them just where you want them.. but at a 30-degree slope with 180-degree turn - it is a :censored: (but you can work those 4 wheels to your benefit - have you tried walking alongside the trolley and pulling it sometimes - works great... start dancing with it, not it walking you)

I struggle to find value in the $ - let me explain: the price of things don't make sense -

- an OK Take-a-Way meal: $8 - parking at the centre for 3 hours - $5, but a cheap toaster is $30

- Bought a Tie today for an interview (mine is only coming over in the container this week) $22, but a small trampoline for my son was $40

- A slice of Banana Bread $4, but 1Kg of Bananas $2

- a Donut $3 ??? HuH! but 3Liter of milk also $3

LOVE the specials - it really is specials and not jokes - and discounted things after the "event" eg. All Easter candy/eggs/soft toys/etc 50-75% discounted - had a ball today at Target.

I hate the fact you don't get FROZEN pumpkin in the stores - funny thing, I mentioned it to a co-worker this week and he could not understand the concept of frozen pumpkin. Had to explain the ease-of-preparation factor before he could understand that it is actually something that can work.

Even though the crime rate is sooooo low here, I will pay more for insurance here than in SA... I don't get it?

Edited by JacoO

Jeeze, never heard of frozen pumpkin either (didn't know you could freeze raw pumpkin actually). But then I left RSA as a smelly 23 year old who could not/did not cook.

ps. I illegally smuggled Boerpampoen seeds into the country last year (in my bra :ph34r: ). Ms Karma must not have been very happy about this, as only one plant made it above ground and did not produce any fruit. Was looking forward to eating it......

Petrol is cheap in SA .. filled up with Shell 95 today in Berowra - $1.63 (-8 cents Coles coupon of course)

** You can get cheaper petrol - BP and Caltex - and depends on where you fill up. I prefer Shell and I struggle to throw E10 into my car - I bought so many horses under the bonnet :) and now I have to let them gallop on E10.. no way :)

Diesel is far cheaper around $1.49 -$.151 and with the 8cents off that comes down to 1.41- 1.43 seriously though no bragging I get around 15km/l around town on a 55 litre tank around 800kms and on the country roads/freeway/highway easily 18-19kms/l = 990 -1045 kms so even though the discussion will be you paid more for a diesel it costs more to service I have a monthly bill of around $ 155 and at the heaviest travel in the city $240 but then thats an average of 1600kms - to 2500 mms so that would be a lot of city driving and the car only gets service on average every 8-10 months, the car is a semi auto dual clutch an no I dont drive like a older person or a hoon but go slow when I need to a speed up when I do. I guess the length of the post is to say yes fuel (non diesel) is pricey but you can buy alternative fuel engines to lower the cost and also some else if you are prepared to do with less "horses under the bonnet" then your economy substantially improves also their are cars out there that are derived from a technology that are a according to (Wikipedia a start-stop system or stop-start system which automatically shuts down and restarts the internal combustion engine to reduce the amount of time the engine spends idling, thereby reducing fuel consumption and emissions. This is most advantageous for vehicles which spend significant amounts of time waiting at traffic lights or frequently come to a stop in traffic jams. This feature is present in hybrid electric vehicles, but has also appeared in vehicles which lack a hybrid electric powertrain. For non-electric vehicles (called micro-hybrids,[1]) fuel economy gains from this technology are typically in the range of 5 to 10 percent.[citation needed]

On a manual transmission vehicle, stop-start is activated as follows: Stop car & depress clutch - move gear lever to neutral - release clutch - then the engine stops. The engine won't stop if the car is moving, even if the aforementioned steps are followed. The engine restarts when the clutch is depressed prior to selecting a gear to move the car. The engine may also restart if there is a demand for power from, for example, the AC system.

Since automobile accessories like air conditioners and water pumps have typically been designed to run off a serpentine belt on the engine, those systems must be redesigned to function properly when the engine is turned off. Typically, an electric motor is used to power these devices instead.) so it is possible to get a car that will be economical and reduce your fuel bill.. Sorry that your finding fuel expensive in the bigger picture its just about choices isn't:)

Apparently the price of rum also suck in Australia. Even when on special!!!post-17558-0-72115400-1365360291_thumb.j

• Like 3

Apparently the price of rum also suck in Australia. Even when on special!!!

Wow, great special, get in quick :)

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

I dont get whats the deal between 5c off the rrp of rum and the special to me a special is special when not only can you get it at a price less than what a competitor would ask for and then some

I dont get whats the deal between 5c off the rrp of rum and the special to me a special is special when not only can you get it at a price less than what a competitor would ask for and then some

Bundaberg Rum is really good though, lol. We stopped at the factory on our activation trip and tasted some there.

Then again, didn't half of Bundaberg wash away now in the floods? So its becoming a rare commodity...

Bundaberg Rum is really good though, lol. We stopped at the factory on our activation trip and tasted some there.

Then again, didn't half of Bundaberg wash away now in the floods? So its becoming a rare commodity...

Being a rare commodity is probably why it's 'special'..... :whome:

Edited by ronfire

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the price of rum also suck in Australia. Even when on special!!!attachicon.gifrum in oztralia.jpg

They could make it $1 per litre and it'd still be too expensive for me to buy .......

Dammit - it's foul.

• Like 1

I'm a Captain Morgan girl myself.......hic

Visa processing times.

• Like 1

Too many low density suburbs causing urban sprawl that is very expensive for our govts to service

Edited by Fish