Hello from Belgium

jcl

Hello.

This is my first post on the site, probably my first post ever on any kind of forum, so here goes!

We received our visa approval on the 28th of November 2012 and were ecstatic! I was over the moon and have been floating ever since! I consider getting the visa as quiet an achievement.

As we received state sponsorship for Victoria we will be heading out to Melbourne in August this year. It will be a big move as we don’t have any relatives or friends in the area. Hope we can connect to some of you living out that way.

As I’ve been doing quiet a bit or researching the scariest part for me right now is finding employment. I always used to think this would be relatively easy, but having read some of your posts I am getting a bit concerned.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sincerely

John

• Like 3

Hi John

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your visa accomplishment and to wish you well when you settle in Melbourne. I have lived here for nearly 16 years, and think it is the greatest place to be. If you have any questions that need to be answered, feel free to send me a PM, I will attempt to answer them for you.

Good on you mate!! Melbourne is great and the people even more so. What kind of job are you looking for?

Welcome!! Good luck with finding employment - don't give up!

Where in Belgium are you located? My hubby worked there for 3 months several years ago and we LOVED it there.... :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Hey John

Congratulations on the visa and welcome to the forum. We are also a bit concerned about the whole employment thing but I figure that we have come this far by faith we may as well go the whole nine yards. Our date is set and we will be leaving come job or high water. Good luck with the planning and move and I hope things go smoothly for you.

Wow,

What a wonderful, warm welcome, thanks everyone!

@Mara – thanks, we will sure take you up on that, got many questions and will see if I can find any answers first. I’ll only bother you with the tricky ones ;-).

@Neola – I’m a mechanical engineer (CAD design, project engineering, site engineer), so anything in the general direction would be great….. I’m not going to be too fussy for my first job.

@Lynnie – We live in Lokeren, between Ghent & Antwerp. Yeah, Belgium is great, 10 years is starting to feel too long now…:-) Having lived in Cape Town & George for so long has given me a need for open spaces and lots of nature! The ability just to be able to get away from it all, which is hard to do in Europe! Where are you living right now?

@HadEnoughofJuju – Thanks, best of luck for you too. Wish I could have gotten in WA, more work opportunities there for me. We’ll just have to make it work in Vic!

Regards

John

Hey John, welcome :ilikeit: I am sure that we all have the same concerns around employment but don't worry, I am sure that it will all be fine! Good luck and keep visiting here...the information is invaluable (not to mention the support of the wonderful people you will meet!)

Wow,

What a wonderful, warm welcome, thanks everyone!

@Mara – thanks, we will sure take you up on that, got many questions and will see if I can find any answers first. I’ll only bother you with the tricky ones ;-).

@Neola – I’m a mechanical engineer (CAD design, project engineering, site engineer), so anything in the general direction would be great….. I’m not going to be too fussy for my first job.

@Lynnie – We live in Lokeren, between Ghent & Antwerp. Yeah, Belgium is great, 10 years is starting to feel too long now…:-) Having lived in Cape Town & George for so long has given me a need for open spaces and lots of nature! The ability just to be able to get away from it all, which is hard to do in Europe! Where are you living right now?

@HadEnoughofJuju – Thanks, best of luck for you too. Wish I could have gotten in WA, more work opportunities there for me. We’ll just have to make it work in Vic!

Regards

John

We were in Brussels and Toulouse France for a few years but are now VERY HAPPILY living life to the fullest in Brisbane :ilikeit: :ilikeit: