Which Container company did you use?

belter

Hi K,

Wat kos dit om meubels so lank te stoor?

Ek het nogal gewonder of dit moontlik is om meubels solank te stuur as mens weet wanneer jy gaan (kaartjies gebook)...en `n kennis se adres op te sit en dan as mens daar is net shipping adres verander as jy weet waar jy gaan bly... Gaan tricky wees om tyd te skat maar op die manier gaan meubels solank vooruit en is die gewag nie so lank nie... Is dit moontlik of kan mens nie adres verander nie?? Ek dink ek gaan dit nogal nodig he om iets bekends daar te hê soos my meubels..nie dat ek juis baie het nie :blush:

Hoop iemand het antwoord.

A

Hi K,

Ons het ons goed laat stuur op die adres van ons 6-weke kort-termyn verblyf in Perth. En het die adres verander toe ons 'n lang-termyn huur adres gekry het. Ons kon ons adres enigetyd verander het VOOR die container Australia bereik.

Hoop dit help.

Cornel

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi K,

Ons het ons goed laat stuur op die adres van ons 6-weke kort-termyn verblyf in Perth. En het die adres verander toe ons 'n lang-termyn huur adres gekry het. Ons kon ons adres enigetyd verander het VOOR die container Australia bereik.

Hoop dit help.

Cornel

Baie dankie Cornel, dit help baie! :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

A

• 2 weeks later...

DON is the ONLY guy to use, he does the whole of SA except the CAPE. He was like a father to us! Took so much stress off us...

CARGOPAK gets 10 out of 10 from US and we will never use anyone else EVER.

PS: He isn't related to me - ha ha

Britannia are coming today. Not sure what time (hubby emailed last week to confirm that it was to be today and tomorrow, but hasn't heard anything since), so now we're waiting (8:48am)

Rushing to finish our inventory/insurance valuation...

Ready for this day to be done, for tomorrow to be done, for this phase to have passed :)

GOOD LUCK!! Let us know how it went.

We will be deciding today which container company to use - we are leaning towards Execu-Move. Hoping to pack up week of 10 Jan....

Just dont use Elliotts - once they have your business the whole process becomes an absolute nightmare - with charges constantly increasing, payments made and then more demanded, unprofessional packers, rude staff etc etc etc - a total nightmare would never recommend them to anyone.

Right - I can now give input about Britannia: so far, BRILLIANT!

3 guys came on Tuesday, 9:30am and basically got to work immediately. They worked solidly from 9:30 til 4pm, with just 1 smokebreak and a 30mins lunchbreak. And by solidly, I mean there was no umming and ahhing, and dawdling and thinking slowly, they threw themselves into the work 100%.

The entire time, everything felt good - there was no sense of 'omg I have to watch every move these guys make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!', nothing. They were thorough, and the 1 guy even made 1 of the other guys redo an item or 2 when it wasn't up to *his* standard (ie, the guy didn't wrap the potjie up 1000000000% right or something!).

The one guy was a pro with custom-wrapping big/oddly shaped items, the one was the pro with packing up all odds and ends (ornaments/toys/kitchenware etc), and the other guy spent a whole load of time packing up our books and making the inventory!

Wednesday they were there 9am, and same thing: worked solidly with 1 smokebreak and a 30mins lunchbreak. At 2pm, a whole batch of other guys arrived with a big truck, and they started shifting everything that had already been packaged, into the little truck to take out to the big truck. Each time the little truck's load was moved into the big truck, they would lock the big truck (padlocked) and come back to the house for more.

The only occurrence was a problem with our bed. They wrapped the mattress + base up as one item, and then couldn't get it down the stairs/around the corner/out the door: when we moved in, the movers brought it in separately LOL so the Britannia guys had to slit the package open, pull out the mattress, bring the base down afterwards and then repackage it together again. This delayed them otherwise they'd have been finished 100% by 4pm sharp.

All in all, great service so far. The guys were pleasant, clean, listened when you explained something and did a great job (that we can tell) packing everything carefully. Also, they made use of things to put other things into (to save us money on container space), like a bucket filled with padded up trinkets, and model horses in drawers... and MUCH to my amusement, they even put our MOST fragile items, EXTREMELY well padded, into the fridge!!

We've taken the free 1 month storage in CT option, so as to avoid our stuff arriving in Bne before us, and will definitely keep you posted on how the rest of our experience goes. It feels surreal having all our possessions 'gone' and out of our control, but I feel good that it's all in safe hands. Must just get ship/container etc details from them when it ships off...

Yay, glad that's all done :) now it's time to resume rental-house windowshopping!

Sorry if this post is boringly long...

(tl;dr - Britannia gets 10/10 so far!)

We have decided to go with Execu-Move. They will start packing on 11 January 2011...in a week's time and I still have so much to sort and do in preparation!

Will provide update as things start to happen.

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this is being bumped up from the depths but just felt like raving: we got the container tracking details from Britannia (-1 point to them for not sending us the info of their own accord), and I've been following our container's progress as best I can.

Marine Traffic (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/) is like THE BEST THING out there...

Our container's 1st leg ship went 'off the radar' for most of the way up to Malaysia and we've only just got the 2nd leg ship's location today - and I'm ecstatic to report that our ship is near to Cairns now.

Once the ship arrives we have between 5 and 15 working days to wait before we get our stuff - AQIS gets to have a peek around then and I'm hoping that there'll be nothing 'dodgy' in our stuff.

EEK I CAN'T WAIT!! We're going to have a proper bed again! No more inflata-bed :stretcher: , yippeeeeee!!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow-o, after so long, we finally have our stuff!! Over 3 months of camping without our stuff and IT'S OVER!! Hoorayyyyy!!

I won't go into major detail, but I will just say one or two things (subject to the fact that we haven't unpacked our books or all of our clothes):

- A 'new' cellphone (opened, very lightly used but in box, about 2 years old), was obviously slipped into someone's pocket (stolen)

- Our Weber braai's handles are bent a bit

- Our fridge's 1 hinge is bent/damaged

- An African carved wooden walking stick is 'rubbed' - seemingly not wrapped separately from the weight-lifting pole it was wrapped with

but other than that, everything survived. Yes, not a single broken item of crockery, or damaged ornament (and we have a lot of little ornaments). OSS who dealt with us on this side were fantastic. The only things we had to have treated were 2 straw-seated bar chairs ($180! Otherwise $80 to destroy), and the import permit form we got from QLD police had to be surrendered to Customs for our ornamental katana swords + 'shona' style knife - but ultimately no troubles AT ALL.

We've still gotta finish unpacking, and then get hold of Britannia to give them feedback, so will update this thread at a later stage. The packers were incredibly thorough, though, and I am impressed (apart from the items mentioned above). They even packed a new toilet roll (still in its 4-pack wrapper) we had remaining in the cupboard!

Tonight, we are sleeping IN OUR OWN BED!!!! Yippeee!!!!!!!! And we've been listening to music all day, enjoying the hifi like there's no tomorrow!

Thanks for the update Kit!

I'm glad almost everything got to you in good shape - pity about the phone.

We have been thinking about whether we take the bed or not and your comments on the inflatable mattress (we have one) make me think that we should rather get rid of the bed here and buy one at that end so we hav a decent sleep.

The things we wouldn't have packed are the microwave (we didn't have one in SA so no worries there), kettle, washmachine and fridge. They are more expensive here (as is a bed/mattress), but rather than doing without them or renting (don't even GO there!!), now we have 2 kettles, a bar fridge + normal fridge (hubby thinks we're just gonna keep the bar fridge off and spare in the garage, nuh-uhhh, I wanna fill it up with cooldrinks ;) ) plus we spent a bit on laundromat, which is a pain.

We also didn't have couches (we gave ours in SA away, they were 154th hand or something LOL), so we were able to buy new ones here and it's been great at least having decent couches. And we got a diningroom table set. It's SUCH a bonus that houses here generally seem to have oven/stove built-in, and some even have a dishwasher. Ours does, but we actually haven't used it yet, this after me 'whining' so much that I couldn't wait til we had a dishwasher :whome:

Ahead of us in the next few days is washing all our kitchenware... *sigh* :rolleyes: and catching up on laundry cos we have our washmachine back!! :D Oh oops, plus we have to mow the jungle... it's about 1ft high :blush::ph34r:

It's so exciting! This house is now more like *our home*, with our stuff in it :D

• 2 months later...

Cargopak came and took our goods the other day.

Very impressed with their service and they were really friendly and I felt very comfortable with the team. My only grip and it isn't a big one is just one of the packers who left a few things with big spaces inside unfilled - e.g. big see through tupperware containers with lids which really should have been filed to save space.

I will report back when I get the goods at the other end.

We used Kings, impressed with both them and their agents Grace in Sydney!

Very friendly and professional on the SA side, provided answers to all our questions, our stuff was very efficiently and professionally packed.

Received our stuff a few weeks ago in perfect condition, including a carbon bike, framed art pieces, ardmore ceramics, nothing damaged!! Their Sydney agents were amazing, 3 guys unpacked everything in half a day, and came to collect the boxes and packaging a few days later once we had unpacked everything!

A big thanks to Greg and his team in SA and Thi in Sydney. Great job very professionally handled from end to end!

• 1 month later...

We have decided to go with Execu-Move. They will start packing on 11 January 2011...in a week's time and I still have so much to sort and do in preparation!

Will provide update as things start to happen.

Hi, how did it go with Execu-Move?

We are looking at using them.

• 1 month later...

Crown are at our house now packing up. Yesterday they were amazing. Quiet friendly and ever so effecient. Todays another day...will keep you posted. I am living in a mountain of cardboard furniture and boxes sigh!

hi Betty boop

did you go with Crown? And how is things going there? how are your nerves?????

Our container is still in durban harbour. they said maybe on the 18th of this month...

Hi, how did it go with Execu-Move?

We are looking at using them.

We were extremely happy with Execu-Move (the team who did the packing were very efficient - and it took them 1 1/2 days to finish packing). NOTHING was broken when unpacked, NOTHING was missing (they had even packed the sauce packets you get from KFC, Steers, etc. :lol: ). On this side, they used Overseas Packers. No complaints here either. The guys who did the unpacking was very helpful - they placed all the furniture where I wanted it, they unwrapped everything and when they couldn't take away all the empty boxes on the same day, they collected it at a later stage that was convenient to me. I got a fllow-up email to check if I was happy with everything. So, yes, I would recommend using Execu-Move everyday (we were happy with them from the day they came to quote us)! :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

HI There,

We are using Cargo Pac, they will be packing us on the 22 November, we have chosen them because of there understanding and prices as well as the fact that at least one of the companies owners will be on site when packing.

Will let you know how it goes.

T

Archived