Which Container company did you use?

belter

@Bullebak - I will then definitely get quotes from Britannia and ExecuMove. Have already submitted a request for a quote on the Crown website - will wait and see what (or if) they come back to us. Hopefully, we will also soon be moving to Brisbane (busy with a 457 application).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add, Crown and Brittania were almost the same price. However, Crown put insurance as compulsory, at very least, to cover marine insurance,.. when packing, I called Brittania again, and insurance is not compulsory with them..... we decided on NONE......we wouldn't take insurance to replace a broken item, really just the all replace..... and I'm prepared to take my chances on that.....

They have had one container fall into the water at the harbour......but it's pretty much unheard of.

Otherwise, I'll post asking for donated items....:-)

Hey, trust your gut feeling, just make the choice and do it. It seems monumental now, but it's just one step of the process.... don't over analyse. Decide what's important criteria, and don't put so much value on so and so's bad experience - they've all had them I'm sure, some more than others though.

Follow your intuition. It's the best judge in the end.

J

Bullebak - we found Britannia to be good (just plain facts), where Execumove seemed a bit overkeen to prove themselves (phoned us every couple of days). They were also quite a bit more expensive than Britannia. They did not mention the cost of insurance anywhere on their quote, which seems a big oversight.

Regarding Biddulphs - our friend who moved in March is still unpacking damaged books. He's a comic book collector, so some of his stuff is priceless. When I asked him 'what about claiming from insurance?', he replied that he doesn't have enough to make a claim - I'm guessing he means the excess just makes it not worth it. But generally, he's had quite a lot of stuff damaged/missing. Plus, they packed stuff they weren't supposed to, so he got junk from his parents' garage included in his shipment. Yes, I suppose it could have been more 'clearly' separated (and it's really not the moving company's responsibility), but still... he could have been walloped by customs/quarantine!! You'd think a moving company of their calibre would have 'awareness' of major countries' requirements!

Sounds like a few of us heading off to Brisvegas!! We should have a get together once we've all arrived :ilikeit: We all seem to be moving around the end of the year?

Just an update - also requested quotes through the worldwidemoving website yesterday and they sent my requests off to Execu-move, Magna Thompson, Pickfords and Stuttafords. I emailed Crown through their website yesterday. Thus far, only Execu-move contacted me today, :) and I made an appointment for them to come out to us next Wednesday, still waiting to hear from the others. I have also just sent an email to Britannia letting them know I would like to get a quote from them. Will keep you posted.

We are also going with Brittania - they will pack on the 2nd of December, also to Brisbane. They have the best quote and I like their personal service. Still thinking about insurance - don't know if we must take the all insurance or none! When we were looking for quotes Crown came back to us 2 weeks after I mailed them and make an appointment for a further 2 weeks down the line. When I asked them what their quote will be more or less it was R10 000 more than Brittania. The quote more or less the same as Brittania was from Biddulphs but due to what we saw on the forum we decided rather to go with Brittania! It seems to me that we will be quite a few people arriving in Brisbane in January - maybe we must arrange a get together at the end of January!!!

@ DaleenB - if we are in Brisbane in Jan then we would love to meet all the other newcomers! :ilikeit: Definitely "Yes" for a get together end Jan!

Well, today I got calls from Stuttafords and Britannia and will also be seeing them next Wednesday. So, 3 moving companies for next Wednesday!! And, Magna for Thursday.

Pickfords called to make an appointment and I told them when we could see them and am now waiting for them to confirm. - Have still not heard back from Pickfords!

LOL wait for me!!!!! We're only arriving end of Jan... so can we have the meetup only in Feb pleeease? ;)

LOL wait for me!!!!! We're only arriving end of Jan... so can we have the meetup only in Feb pleeease? ;)

Can definitely be arranged for early Feb - gives us some more time to settle in!!! The more the merrier... :ilikeit:;)

Why is it such a schlep to get quotes from these companies??

I have had Crate and Freight, Elliots and Bayleys at my house a week ago and haven't receive a quote from any one of them yet.

I phoned Crown twice and filled in the form on the internet but to no avail, still don't have an appointment with them.

I've emailed Brittania and asked them to contact me but also no answer. Question - Does Brittania only work out of Cape Town?

This isn't fun when you struggle to get some kind of service from these people.

My container left my house today, I used Magna Thomson (the Pietermaritzburg office even though I am in Durbs???) They were really great, a competitive price, the packers were so fast and efficient and fingers crossed my stuff arrives in good condition in a few weeks time. All in all it has been a pleasant experience so far.

Hi Pacman,

We are in Pretoria and we are using Brittania. They got back to us very quickly. I don't have it with me now but I can give you the cell phone number of Johan, who helped us. Will be back in Pretoria tomorrow and will send you the number.

Regards,

Daleen

I don't know why it's such a shlep getting quotes, but it really is!!

We're having our stuff out end of the year, will keep you posted how it goes.

Pickfords called to make an appointment and I told them when we could see them and am now waiting for them to confirm. - Have still not heard back from Pickfords!

I wouldn't recommend Pickfords. They seemed to be professional when they did the quote but that's where it stopped and my trouble started... :ilikeit:

I was sponsored (fortunately) but unfortunately was forced to use them.

Hi Pacman,

We are in Pretoria and we are using Brittania. They got back to us very quickly. I don't have it with me now but I can give you the cell phone number of Johan, who helped us. Will be back in Pretoria tomorrow and will send you the number.

Regards,

Daleen

Thanks Daleen, will appreciate it.

Thanks Daleen, will appreciate it.

Hi, the guide who helped us from Brytons Brittania is Johan and his cell phone 083 258 4642 and email address johan@brytons.co.za. They quoted R41 300 for a 20 ft container from Pretoria to Brisbane.

Regards,

D :ilikeit:

Just got our quote from Magna - R47 522.00 Full 20ft (1050cbft)

R43 094 - shared (800cbft)

Waiting for Johan from Brytons quote :ilikeit:

I got a quote from Johan at Brytons which was really cheap compared to the other 5 that I got. Johan very friendly and willing to assist and advise and give various quotes just to compare. I was happy with him and their price so will be using them.

Moving end of January 2011 - getting really nervous now. :-)

I got a quote from Johan as well - was R5k cheaper than Magna

Really liked him and we will be using them too

Our house will be packed up beginning of Jan and furniture stored with them whilst we stay with family for the last few months till our visa comes through :ilikeit:

Brytons is coming to pack on Thursday - will let you know how it goes! Getting really nervous now!

I got a quote from Johan as well - was R5k cheaper than Magna

Really liked him and we will be using them too

Our house will be packed up beginning of Jan and furniture stored with them whilst we stay with family for the last few months till our visa comes through :ilikeit:

Hi K,

Wat kos dit om meubels so lank te stoor?

Ek het nogal gewonder of dit moontlik is om meubels solank te stuur as mens weet wanneer jy gaan (kaartjies gebook)...en `n kennis se adres op te sit en dan as mens daar is net shipping adres verander as jy weet waar jy gaan bly... Gaan tricky wees om tyd te skat maar op die manier gaan meubels solank vooruit en is die gewag nie so lank nie... Is dit moontlik of kan mens nie adres verander nie?? Ek dink ek gaan dit nogal nodig he om iets bekends daar te hê soos my meubels..nie dat ek juis baie het nie :ilikeit:

Hoop iemand het antwoord.

A

Hi K,

Wat kos dit om meubels so lank te stoor?

Ek het nogal gewonder of dit moontlik is om meubels solank te stuur as mens weet wanneer jy gaan (kaartjies gebook)...en `n kennis se adres op te sit en dan as mens daar is net shipping adres verander as jy weet waar jy gaan bly... Gaan tricky wees om tyd te skat maar op die manier gaan meubels solank vooruit en is die gewag nie so lank nie... Is dit moontlik of kan mens nie adres verander nie?? Ek dink ek gaan dit nogal nodig he om iets bekends daar te hê soos my meubels..nie dat ek juis baie het nie :ilikeit:

Hoop iemand het antwoord.

A

Dit hang af hoeveel jy het om te stoor - maar vir +- 'n 20ft container hoeveelheid is dit tussen R700-900 per maand. Jy kan jou eie versekering gebruik of hulle sin (maar hulle sin is duur)!!

Solank jy die visa in jou paspoort het kan jy jou container aanstuur.

Ons gaan ons sin vooraf stuur en sorg dat teen die tyd wat ons daar is dit reeds in Aus is of redelik amper daar is.

Gaan probeer daar wees vir so twee weke voor die container kom sodat ons 'n rental kan soek..

Nog nie seker hoe alles sal werk nie, maar dis die idee :ilikeit:

I'm starting to feel a bit anxious now, 3 weeks before our stuff is packed up!

Hubby and I each have 25kgs of checked-in luggage and 7kgs of handluggage for our flight, and I'm just wanting to know: what all should we pack that "could" go into the container but you'd rather put in luggage because you need them ASAP/they're valuable and don't want to risk losing them/things to keep you entertained while you wait for the container etc... what did you regret not taking with you in your luggage?

Any suggestions would be awesome LOL. I know jewellery you need to keep on you, and obviously passports and road mapbook you need to keep with you... and PSP is important, as well as iPod - but what else?

EEKEEEK, 56 days til we fly!! :):whome::holy::wacko::blink:

We made use of Seven Seas Worldwide. We have chosen them as they have received excellent review all over.

We decided not to bring any furniture or white goods over to Oz, thus only having books, toys, kitchen stuff, personal effects, golf bags, paintings and clothing. In total we had 84 boxes and 13 loose items. They supply the boxes and packaging materials, you pack yourself (or can ask them to pack), they collect at your doorstep, they can store your stuff for 1 month for free, or longer at a rate, they deliver to your doorstep.

When you pack yourself, make sure you pack your glassware and breakables carefully, otherwise you might have lots of breakages.

Seven Seas Worldwide kept us up to date all the way. You could also track your shipment by accessing their site. They delivered excellent service to us. Our boxes left Johannesburg end Sep 2010 and we received it 1 Dec 2010 in Perth, WA. The total cost was ZAR30,000 and an additional AUS$198 (Customs Goods Examination Fee).

We can really recommend Seven Seas Worldwide. Their teams in South Africa, Australia and their Call Centre Staff delivered excellent customer service.

You can also use them to send excess baggage. Their site have an instant online shipping quote facility if you want to compare costs.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com

Hope it helps those who do not have lots to ship, and do not want to pay full/half container fees.

Kind Regards

Cornel

Archived