Which Container company did you use?

belter

Hi Guys :)

I know the questions about containers have been done before.... but here goes again as I can't seem to find the threads :) ...

Hubby leaves for Sydney on the 15 May & I'll follow once he has a job (holding thumbs it doesn't take too long :P ) but in the meantime we want to sort out the container cost / companies. Here is a list of companies we going to contact for quotes:

1. Crate & Freight (www.crateandfreight.co.za)

2. Bayley Worldwide Removals (www.bayleyworldwide.co.za)

3. Elliot International (www.elliott.co.za)

4. Crown Relocations (www.crownrelo.com)

5. Biddulphs (www.biddulphs.co.za)

6. Allied Pickfords (www.pickfords.co.za)

7. King International (www.kings-int.com)

8. Magna-Thomson (www.magnathomson.com)

9. World Wide Moving (www.worldwidemoving.co.za)

10. AGS Frasers (www.agsfrasers.co.za)

I was wondering what experiences / costs / quotes you guys had (if any) with them? Who did you deal with personally if you had a good experience with them? What was the insurance costs like? Also what was the service like from them on the other side? Can you recommend any other company?

Also what did you guys take with? We want to take all the sentimental stuff as well has the newer appliances / furniture we have.

Any help & advice will be appreciated :) !

Many thanks!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Good luck with your move!

We have previously used Elliots to go to NZ and when we came back from NZ we used Crown.

They were both fine. We didn't have any real issues except that my husband's brand new watch got 'lost' on the way from SA to NZ and our leather jackets got 'lost' somewhere on the way between NZ and SA. A few breakages coming back to SA but we sorted that out very easily through Crown with our insurance we took.

Other than that we found them both to be professional, and I love the way these companies all pack your things up so nicely :) but that's just because I'm a perfectionist - and I like other people doing the packing!

I shudder to think what we are going to be quoted this time 'round, I'm having Elliotts over this afternoon for a quote and Crown next week.

In terms of service on the other side, for both of the companies, we were satisfied with the service. We didn't have any real problems or issues.

We are taking everything. We are paying for the 20ft so we might as well fill it up. We have just bought some new furniture - so defenitely won't be leaving that behind!

Then there's other 'stuff' that is very sentimental to me and I won't be able to replace the things I have sought out for my house with things from IKEA or whatever. :)

As long as there's space in your container, let them load it up! You might as well, and that will be one or two things less that you have to buy once you're there.

As it is, when you arrive, there will be things you will have to buy (that you might not be able to beg, borrow, rent or steal :) ) and these all drain your budget; so if you're wondering about your plastic washing basket or your little bookrack - unless they're really ugly or really falling apart - pack'em in.

That said, it's no use to take 'junk' - as this will just make your unpacking over there that much more difficult!

Hi Sunshine 123

Many thanks for your advice. Much appreciated! Goodluck with your move!

We'll see you on the other side :-)

Belter

Hiya belter! Good luck with the move!!! You sure have done your homework, you have some very good

moving companies there! Do not what ever you do use STUTTAFORDS VAN LINES..........our container

left SA 6 weeks later than it should have......thanks to some office twit....who mixed up our details, could

have been worse, our container could have landed up in Canada.....lol! :)

Wishing you the best of luck!! :)

Erica

I have said this a few times before, but I cannot sing Don at Cargopak's praises high enough.

Give them a call on 031-5693491.

He was absolutely fabulous ~ an island of calm in a sea of chaos!

Incredibly helpful too.

They do pack up in Joburg as well.

I have done a bit of "research" and from what I can gather - get a company that DO NOT USE AN AGENT - in OZ. Get a company that uses the same company from point A to Z. AND negotiate the price! This is something I have learnt in the East - NO PRICE IS CAST IN STONE!!!

Good LUCK!!!

We are going with Magna and so far they have been fantastic.

They even called me before our container left this week to say there was still space if i'd like to add anything before they send it (our stuff was in storage as my hubby went over without a job whilst myself and our daughter stayed behind)

They really have been fantastic...will KUP once we get to Oz etc!

Sadly I would not recomment Biddulphs, they use someone else on this side and it absolutely pathetic.

ASK YOUR AGENT who is their party on this side. If it is Chess Hanley moving - STAY WELL CLEAR.

Hi Guys :blush:

I know the questions about containers have been done before.... but here goes again as I can't seem to find the threads :ilikeit: ...

Hubby leaves for Sydney on the 15 May & I'll follow once he has a job (holding thumbs it doesn't take too long :P ) but in the meantime we want to sort out the container cost / companies. Here is a list of companies we going to contact for quotes:

1. Crate & Freight (www.crateandfreight.co.za)

2. Bayley Worldwide Removals (www.bayleyworldwide.co.za)

3. Elliot International (www.elliott.co.za)

4. Crown Relocations (www.crownrelo.com)

5. Biddulphs (www.biddulphs.co.za)

6. Allied Pickfords (www.pickfords.co.za)

7. King International (www.kings-int.com)

8. Magna-Thomson (www.magnathomson.com)

9. World Wide Moving (www.worldwidemoving.co.za)

10. AGS Frasers (www.agsfrasers.co.za)

I was wondering what experiences / costs / quotes you guys had (if any) with them? Who did you deal with personally if you had a good experience with them? What was the insurance costs like? Also what was the service like from them on the other side? Can you recommend any other company?

Also what did you guys take with? We want to take all the sentimental stuff as well has the newer appliances / furniture we have.

Any help & advice will be appreciated :whome: !

Many thanks!

We had an excellent experience with Bayley's. Helpful, friendly, priced well, great on the SA side and great on the Australian side. Also received many helpful little hints about what to bring with and what to leave behind. They were also very flexible and fitted in with our various changes and indecisions along the way. All in all, can't fault them.

• 3 weeks later...

We used Pickfords. Very good on both sides. Nothing broke and nothing went missing.

Hi all

We got quotes from Elliott and Crown for our move this time 'round, and we have decided to use Elliott's.

As in my previous post, we have used both Elliotts and Crown before for our move to NZ and back, but we had things stolen with both companies. But other than that - we didnt have too many issues at all with the container being shipped, our storage, unpacking on that side etc. They were both fairly good. We did claim for some of the things that got lost and a couple of things broken from Crown and got that sorted fairly easily.

This might not be a problem with a specific company but rather the staff who work for the company. Unfortunately one cannot be in many places at one time, but it is best to try and have a few people around while packing takes place to ensure that small things don't get 'lost'.

Packing day is such a frantic and stressful day - try and plan to make it easier.

Remove ALL your small valuables that you will be taking with you in your suitcases. As for other valuables - if possible - why not put them together in one room of the house so that you can ensure you are there watching them when they pack those.

Mikej - sorry to hear about your afwul experience - it's so unfair to be 'taken' like this during such a stressful time.

Remember also that the Sales person who comes to see you and give you a quote - might not always be the reflection of the company's service as a whole - because he/she just sells you the product - and they can be very charming, talk very fast and make your head spin. From there you deal with administrators, packers etc. I would contact their offices and talk to the person who will be doing your paperwork etc. to also find out how helpful he/she is and how prompt they are with responding to queries.

It was nice to know what to expect this time round, because I was prepared when they came to see me, and did not listen to them drab on about all the unimportant stuff, but rather had certain questions prepared and items I wanted them to agree on - that way they saw that I knew how the process worked and were more upfront with their answers.

My thoughts are with you.

Perhaps get a second and even a third opinion in RSA.

Perhaps phone/email medicare to get direct feedback from them.

Blessings

The problem with packing it yourself is that the box gets marked "packed owner". My understanding is that those boxes are not covered by your marine insurance and they are a bit of a red rag to a bull for the customs guys. I packed a lot of my stuff but told the movers I would not accept anything marked pbo. They opened the boxes but didn't repack them. When I moved some stuff from the UK though they unpacked and repacked every box.

Hi all

We got quotes from Elliott and Crown for our move this time 'round, and we have decided to use Elliott's.

As in my previous post, we have used both Elliotts and Crown before for our move to NZ and back, but we had things stolen with both companies. But other than that - we didnt have too many issues at all with the container being shipped, our storage, unpacking on that side etc. They were both fairly good. We did claim for some of the things that got lost and a couple of things broken from Crown and got that sorted fairly easily.

This might not be a problem with a specific company but rather the staff who work for the company. Unfortunately one cannot be in many places at one time, but it is best to try and have a few people around while packing takes place to ensure that small things don't get 'lost'.

Packing day is such a frantic and stressful day - try and plan to make it easier.

Remove ALL your small valuables that you will be taking with you in your suitcases. As for other valuables - if possible - why not put them together in one room of the house so that you can ensure you are there watching them when they pack those.

Mikej - sorry to hear about your afwul experience - it's so unfair to be 'taken' like this during such a stressful time.

Remember also that the Sales person who comes to see you and give you a quote - might not always be the reflection of the company's service as a whole - because he/she just sells you the product - and they can be very charming, talk very fast and make your head spin. From there you deal with administrators, packers etc. I would contact their offices and talk to the person who will be doing your paperwork etc. to also find out how helpful he/she is and how prompt they are with responding to queries.

It was nice to know what to expect this time round, because I was prepared when they came to see me, and did not listen to them drab on about all the unimportant stuff, but rather had certain questions prepared and items I wanted them to agree on - that way they saw that I knew how the process worked and were more upfront with their answers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I have been meaning to give feedback on our move for a while and haven't got around to it, so thanks for your post because it has spurred me into action!

We have been in Sydney for 3 months now and our stuff was packed and moved by Kings - from Cape Town. I would not recommend them and was sorely disappointed by the end of the experience. It started out all rosy - their quote was the most reasonable and they seemed friendly and on the ball, with personalised service and loads of reassurance. All my questions were answered promptly and fully and I felt that we were in good hands.

When the packers arrived, the supervisor was apparently sick so one of the packers supervised. I didn't see this as a problem at the time, but realised afterwards that there wasn't a whole lot of supervision happening. Although the packers were there for four days, the pre-arranged supervisor never did arrive. Once we paid and the container left our house, it was as if we dropped off Kings' radar entirely. Any contact with them (e.g. re tracking our container) was initiated by me. Their agents on the Sydney side (Grace removals) were excellent - three guys did all the unpacking and they were so helpful and obliging. There were a number of breakages and Grace did all they could to help with this, even sending a carpenter to repair some items.

Once we started unpacking I realised that quite a bit of pilfering had taken place and I was pretty disappointed by this. The things that were taken were all small enough to fit into the packers' backpacks. We needed to claim from insurance and Kings were so unhelpful about this - emails and phone calls went unanswered and eventually I stopped using them as middle-men and dealt directly with their insurance brokers, who were not much better - the claim took forever to get paid out (and umpteen emails from me). Some of the things that were stolen could not be replaced (e.g. pillow cases from duvet sets).

I eventually emailed Kings to complain about the lack of service and the total disinterest in the fact that their employees had stolen our stuff (they barely acknowledged that this had happened - no apology or sympathy - which was all I wanted!). Needless to say, this final email did not receive any response at all, which to me just signals really shoddy and disrespectful customer service. I would not use them again and I would not recommend them to the forumites.

Good luck to anyone who is busy packing up - it's a real rollercoaster ride! My only advice is be very present while your goods are being packed, and be aware of what is happening. Having said that though, I think it is very difficult to remain vigilant over a four-day period (which is how long it took us to be packed up), esp with all the emotions that are being triggered by the process.

I hope this helps!

Buzzbee

Hi,

We are rolacing interstate but they do International as well. We are using "Kent" and I have received many good stories about them from Saffers moving from RSA to Oz. I must say, the experience we have with the quote, questions and admin work has been very impresive!! They are well prised and do everything for you. All in all we can not complain.......YET! :ilikeit: Don't know if somebody else has used them, please let us know of your experience. We will give feedback once we finalised the move.

Good luck!

We used Cargopak. Good personal service (small family owned and managed company), not a thing stolen or broken.

We used Kings to get ourselves from Jhb to Adelaide. They were the cheapest of the 3 quotes (others were Crown and Stuttafords) by a good few thousand. We have just finished unpacking, having received our container 10 days ago and I would put forward the following based on our experience.

1. You need to be there constantly when the packing takes place - we made a big mistake in this regard. There was a good supervisor on the first day and he made sure the lounge suites and all large stuff was properly packed. After that things went a bit downhill and there were guys all over the place packing. As a result we still have not accounted for all the jewellery, IPod, other sentimental stuff. They also seem to discard some stuff arbitrarily

2. Get a lock box for valuables from the movers and make sure it is there on the first day of packing and fill it up early on - see above point. We only got our lock box as they finished loading the container and some stuff that would have been placed in the lockbox was already hidden (or liberated)

3. Compare the quotes on an apples for apples basis and check what is excluded. Quarantine charge std is $770 which can make a one quote look cheap (luckily all of ours had the same exclusions which made it easy to compare). Make sure you budget for these on the Oz end.

4. If you have a piano - sell it unless it has sentimental value, or is a fancy make. A piano can add $300+ to the cost of the move, and if the keys are ivory you need some kind of exemption certificate. We sold ours in SA and Kings delivered it free to the buyer - they offered this as a service to help secure the contract. You will probably replace the piano here cheaply if it was a 'standard' one.

5. You will need to unpacked every single box / item here even if you only intend to repack and store - labelling is very deceptive and the label may be based on the top item in the box, or what the major content is. Very little thought is applied by the packers as to logical packing of boxes which I put down to dodgy supervision.

6. Allow for additional expenses for unloading on the Oz end if you land up in a rental that has difficult access - steep on long driveway,etc.

The above points notwithstanding we had very little breakage and it is just the stuff listed in point 1 that is causing the most irritation.

When moving from Botswana back to SA 15 years ago we had to use Calverts. They recruited labour off the side of the road for the loading and these guys nicked anything they could lay their hands on - we lost ALL of the liquor stock, most of the food, cameras, cutlery and a host of other stuff which the insurance did not cover. Relatively speaking this move was not bad - we just hope the insurance plays ball with regard to the missing stuff.

Hope this helps

Buzzbee - I should have paid some more attention to earlier writings in the thread. Any one thinking of using Kings should have a good read of yours and my posts. Something that has iritated me is the lack of response to my emails from Kings since we left SA, even to acknowledge payment or to acknowledge my concerns on the packing process. Having said that we had all our stuff within 8 weeks of loading and the customs peoples here acknowledged that it was one of the better shipments from SA

I often search on www.hellopeter.com before using a company for what-ever. I also comment on positive and negative service.

Use them and list your company there.

Dawid

I have used Kent twice and they were excellent.

Diveup

I have only heard good things on this forum about Cargopak - do they also operate in Cape Town?

Hello Guys ............. we used CRATE AND FREIGHT ............his service was good - on time, lots of comunication - but on the day - he did not show up and his packers- TITIAN PACKAGING - ROBBED US BLIND !!!!!! and packed really bad .......... lots of boxes had no paper in them and others were just filled with paper.............. all my "open spaces were not filled with linen as promised .......... so we ended up having a "part load" at BIG BUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sons XBOX - GONE

A Nokia N95 - GONE

the X box games - all the cases are here but NOT 1 game in them - STOLEN

My new perfume - all boxes here but NO bottles in them - STOLEN

CD's and DVD's - GONE

So a lot of the small expensive stuff got legs and disapeared ................ I would not use them or recommend them again

Thanks

Simone

4. If you have a piano - sell it unless it has sentimental value, or is a fancy make. A piano can add $300+ to the cost of the move, and if the keys are ivory you need some kind of exemption certificate. We sold ours in SA and Kings delivered it free to the buyer - they offered this as a service to help secure the contract. You will probably replace the piano here cheaply if it was a 'standard' one.

We have a piano, a 1904 Bechstein, bought it for R8000 a few years back, but found that the replacement value would be closer to R40000!, so we decided to rather bring it along as we could not afford to replace it with a similar piano here. It did not add any cost to our move as we did not share a container, and getting the permit for the ivory keys was a breeze. Think it cost us R125 for the permit. Piano arrived here in the same condition as it left SA.

Archived