Which Container company did you use?

belter

I have only heard good things on this forum about Cargopak - do they also operate in Cape Town?

They operate from Durban, and I know for certain that they also do moves from Jhb, but not sure about CT. They are a small team and they all drive up to Jhb to do the packing themselves as they do in Dbn. Don's (owner) email addy is cargopak2@iafrica.com.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can CERTAINLY recommend Magna Thompson!!

Our container arrived today and we had some stuff scratched and 1 broken glass as well as a dent in the tv stand...all minor really!

The guys that unpacked on tjis side (Movers International) were awesome...they unpacked all my cutlery, crockery, kichenware and all the big things and really worked there butts off and were happy to do it!

Magna packed stuff REALLY well in general and their service was very good.

If I did it again I wouldn't hesitate to use them!

• 4 months later...

has anyone used Execu-Move? We got Worldwidemoving.co.za to get quotes for us and Execu-Move was one.

Apart from Execu-Move, we are going to get quotes from:

Magna-thomson

Ags Frasers

Kent

Pickfords

Thinking of also asking Elliots.

Any thoughts/input?

has anyone used Execu-Move? We got Worldwidemoving.co.za to get quotes for us and Execu-Move was one.

Apart from Execu-Move, we are going to get quotes from:

Magna-thomson

Ags Frasers

Kent

Pickfords

Thinking of also asking Elliots.

Any thoughts/input?

Elliots start packing our stuff today - so far they seem pretty good (anyone had any bad experiences with them?)

Wridgways unpack for us in Perth (never heard of them, but so far they also seem pretty jacked up).

Will be able to give full feedback in a month or two.

G

Hi Guys B)

I know the questions about containers have been done before.... but here goes again as I can't seem to find the threads <_< ...

Hubby leaves for Sydney on the 15 May & I'll follow once he has a job (holding thumbs it doesn't take too long :P ) but in the meantime we want to sort out the container cost / companies. Here is a list of companies we going to contact for quotes:

1. Crate & Freight (www.crateandfreight.co.za)

2. Bayley Worldwide Removals (www.bayleyworldwide.co.za)

3. Elliot International (www.elliott.co.za)

4. Crown Relocations (www.crownrelo.com)

5. Biddulphs (www.biddulphs.co.za)

6. Allied Pickfords (www.pickfords.co.za)

7. King International (www.kings-int.com)

8. Magna-Thomson (www.magnathomson.com)

9. World Wide Moving (www.worldwidemoving.co.za)

10. AGS Frasers (www.agsfrasers.co.za)

I was wondering what experiences / costs / quotes you guys had (if any) with them? Who did you deal with personally if you had a good experience with them? What was the insurance costs like? Also what was the service like from them on the other side? Can you recommend any other company?

Also what did you guys take with? We want to take all the sentimental stuff as well has the newer appliances / furniture we have.

Any help & advice will be appreciated :unsure: !

Many thanks!

Our container arrived on 23 Aug in Aus, not a thing broken or missing. I really shopped around before deciding on a "not so well known company". I incidently got their name from somebody on this forum. Price was excellent and service even better. Packaging is their claim to fame and they realy do it well.

I can highly recommend Britannia. We moved from Cape Town, Paarl to Melbourne but I am sure they move from all over RSA to anywhere in Aus.

Good Luck!

Here are their details.

Britannia Aidan K. Movers South Africa

Unit 1-3, 65 Killarney Avenue, Killarney Gardens, 7441

P.O.Box 36836, Chempet, 7442, South Africa

Tel: +27 (0)21 556 9448 Fax: +27 (0)21 556 4483

Mobile: +27 (0)83 457 2482

Email: sales@britannia.co.za

UK: www.britannia-movers.co.uk

SA: www.britannia.co.za

We used LSA Containers. Very personal service. Goods arrived in Sydney 6 weeks after packing with not one item damaged.

Give Gary a call

L S A Containers

083 252 0040

ok, we'll add them to our (ever-growing) list :unsure:

Who does Kent use in SA, or how does it work with them - they seem to be based in Aus?

Now, *n00b question alert* what questions must we make a point of asking? I know from reading here to ask who the agents in Aus are, but what else to ask/confirm/clarify?

Hi Kit

I'm doing the quotes at the moment. Crown, Magna Thompson and Britania.

So far, Magna was R46k for 20ft container - I'm expecting Crown to be about R40k..... only seeing Britania next week.

Magna said that Crown might have offices in Oz, but that it is different company. That they use standard agents that side who are reliable etc.... I always thought I'd take Crown because it's the same company both sides, but I've had to ask where my quote is....and am still waiting.

The insurance is difficult to compare. They offer completely different options. I'm not a fan of insurance, Magna recommended that I insure 1.75% of value for total replacement & marine insurance (if the ship has to be towed / if whole container gets lost).... as opposed to higher % 2.5, 3, 3.5 with various level excess that will cover breakage / damage of specific items.

Crown didn't explain it the same. The option for full container value was about R14k.... NO WAY! alternatively, list specific items' value and then work out %....

Luckily, my husband has nominated himself to read all fine print, I'm happy with that. :-)

J

Hi,

We are also looking at quotes now for a 20 ft container. Biddulphs also gave a good quote - R43706. Did anybody use them?

I am still trying to get hold of Britania as I would like to get a quote from them as well. Will try Crown now as well. Don from Cargopak came to see us but his quote is quite high compared to the others.

The other BIG problem is to decide what to take with and what to leave behind. I have a beautiful antique piano and a few other sentimentals that I want to take but then there will be no place for the rest of the furniture!

Regards,

Daleen

I am really struggling with deciding whether we should use a container or not. Dont know if the R40000 - R50000 is worth it.

Our furniture is all over 10 years old so that doesnt have to come with.

Basically it would be a few books, files, clothes and sentimental stuff. But that could be about 20 boxes. And hubby wants to take the TV and Amplifier with. Isn't there another option to not have a 20ft container but to ship boxes?

I am really struggling with deciding whether we should use a container or not. Dont know if the R40000 - R50000 is worth it.

Our furniture is all over 10 years old so that doesnt have to come with.

Basically it would be a few books, files, clothes and sentimental stuff. But that could be about 20 boxes. And hubby wants to take the TV and Amplifier with. Isn't there another option to not have a 20ft container but to ship boxes?

We used baggage solutions for shipping boxes - if you have over 100kg it works out a bit cheaper per kg. But why bother with the TV - they are relative cheap here.

Pacman - if your stuff is old, then R45k (+ insurance anywhere between R4k - 15k) will almost replace basic things... I mean, kitchen items can be bought at equivalent clicks etc.... My new gorgeous dining suite, lots of hubby's sentimental tools and 3 expensive bicycles swung it for us, and we're doing the container.

the TV - apparently technology is cheap there.....

I am replacing my mattress and 1 bed here and getting extra fitted sheets to avoid the problem of different sizes and getting new towels.

If buying good second hand appliances works for you, look at Gumtree and bottom right, change country to Australia and select your city.... then you can get an idea of prices and then make a decision.

Serendipity didn't take a container, and replaced everything there. She said it was great to have new stuff with a new start.....

There are also listings on this forum of certain shops so that you can see the prices of their products.

Goodluck deciding - The other side is that when you arrive, you can straight away kit out your house according the Aus fashion / style as opposed to waiting for the container. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

J

From looking online and windowshopping in Aus, electronics are cheaper there (iPhone half price compared to SA), but electrical appliances aren't, nor are "textiles" - clothes/furnishings like couches, bedding, etc.

And for the record: my working+living in Aus book says that importing a fridge is illegal. It's not... basically if it's part of your personal belongings it's fine (as long as it's not CFC gas, as far as I know). We were kinda worried thinking 'no fridge!' and luckily Google came to the rescue.

I'm going to begin round 2 of asking for quotes. So far Execu-Move (very promptly) and AGS Frasers have set dates to come around, Execu-Move even being willing to come at 17:30 to see us.

Pickfords made a time (for today) but left a voicemail for hubby yesterday afternoon saying they can't make it, can they reschedule for another time blabla. We haven't heard anything since (hubby isn't sure whether they are supposed to call back or whether they expected him to call THEM back), which is a bit cruddy cos hello, WE'd be paying THEM massive amounts of money so... surely they should be falling at our feet?

Magna-Thomson just haven't replied apart from an auto-response email.

Elliotts, LSA Containers + Brittania Aidan K is next in my email list.

@Daleen - our friend who moved in March recommends avoiding Biddulphs as firstly, they did such a bad job packing his stuff that they had to redo it. Then his container got 'left behind' in Sydney (where they re-route them) instead of being sent off to Brisbane... and after the delay, he's had a number of his (expensive) books damaged, and a number of small but useful items stolen. Lovely. Overall not a great experience with them, and they weren't the cheapest (nor the most expensive of the quotes he got).

Hi Kit, thanks for the info on Biddulphs. I was a bit worried as they sent an email quoting on a 20 ft container but did not contact me afterwards to make an appointment - nothing but the email. I have an appointment for tomorrow with Britannia, really want to finalise this now! Will let you know how it goes with Britannia. Crown also phoned me today and will send someone the 29th but according to the estimate that he gave me over the phone their quote will be one of the highest. Elliotts also gave a reasonable quote and was very prompt - I think for us it will be between Britannia and Elliotts. Will keep you posted.

we used Elliots.

Stear clear of them.

Lots of breakages and we are still fighting about the claim.

Pickfords seems to be the best.

Also to use Wridgways this side as a subcontractor is OK because they are very nice peopl and go out of their way with extras.

We used Elliots still waiting for stuff to arrive (groupage) so cant talk about breakages but not very impressed with their South African service. They sent an inexperienced crew who were having fun making boxes - stuff was travelling empty etc etc then they wanted to charge us double the quoted volume. When friends packed up their company advised them of little things like repainting a ladder which would make it get through inspection easier - Elliot staff seemed clueless. I kicked up a big fuss about the additional costs and got it reduced and the stuff repacked (supposedly) but overall not very impressed with them and wouldnt recommend them to anyone else. We were told that as we were going groupage they didnt bother to pack efficiently and that they only did this if one took a whole container - not the sort of thing that you tell me and expect me not to blow my top. Landed up contacting the managing director to get action.

We used Elliots still waiting for stuff to arrive (groupage) so cant talk about breakages but not very impressed with their South African service. They sent an inexperienced crew who were having fun making boxes - stuff was travelling empty etc etc then they wanted to charge us double the quoted volume. When friends packed up their company advised them of little things like repainting a ladder which would make it get through inspection easier - Elliot staff seemed clueless. I kicked up a big fuss about the additional costs and got it reduced and the stuff repacked (supposedly) but overall not very impressed with them and wouldnt recommend them to anyone else. We were told that as we were going groupage they didnt bother to pack efficiently and that they only did this if one took a whole container - not the sort of thing that you tell me and expect me not to blow my top. Landed up contacting the managing director to get action.

Elliots packed up our stuff from Tuesday to Thursday this week, and I must say that I was quite impressed. Their first impression was good and their staff were excellent. Just hope the stuff arrives in Perth without damage or breakage.

G

The person from Crown told me that it's cheaper if you can specify a general area in your city - otherwise they quote the highest rate.

And that she would ask for discount, their quote was much cheaper than Magna Thompson....

Make sure your'e comparisons all include / exclude the insurance.

The person from Crown told me that it's cheaper if you can specify a general area in your city - otherwise they quote the highest rate.

And that she would ask for discount, their quote was much cheaper than Magna Thompson....

Make sure your'e comparisons all include / exclude the insurance.

We used Crown and I can say their service both in SA and here was really good. Had a minor breakage, but it was something that I actually thought I'd thrown away!!

They have their offices here as well and the service was great!! I would recommend them!

J

Brytons Britannia came to see us today and I am quite impressed with them. Got a very reasonable quote and very good advice. I think that we will definitely go with them - so, now, it is all set and done - the container will be packed on the 1st of December, just after my twins finished their matric exams and we will be off on the 8th of January! We only have to think the insurance through - total loss or the 3.85% or no insurance? I think maybe the total loss will be the best - not sure. Any advice on that?

Don at cargopak came to pack up 13 boxes for me. I sent them ahead as i know from the forum that stuff takes 2 or 3 months to get there! Woops ! surprise. It only took 29 days and it is there ! and I only get there next week !

Thanks to Don, this has been a painless experiemce, from getting a quote, to getting the stuff packed, to getting it there !

Joanna

6 more sleeps only !

Archived