Retrenched!!!!

CandiceM

Question

Hi all

My husband got news today that he has been retrenched or made redundant as the Ozzies call it. We have been in Perth now for nearly 12 month (next week) and this news has come as a big blow to us. We were just starting to sort out our docs for PR, as we were promised sponsorship... Now I don't know. We can't go back to SA as we have nothing left here, but if we don't find another sponsor by 16 January we might be forced to return. My advice to anyone on 457 visa apply for PR asap, as you really don't want to find yourself in this position.

candice

• Answers 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CandiceM

• Eva

• polly

• Terence.H

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all,

Steve went for his interview on Friday, he was supposed to have two, but on the way to the airport we were told the one company had cancelled. Steve said the interview went very well and we will know this week, what the answer is. He also has another interview on Monday morning, its a telephonic one with a company in Brisbane. And he is supposed to have on in Melbourne on Wed, but we have to pay for the ticket and I am a bit uneasy about it, since we don't know if they will offer us relocation, and if they aren't keen to pay $400 for a ticket who knows how they will react to a $4000 relocation bill at least. Will let you know as soon as we have more info.

Thanks guys!!!

Candice

but we have to pay for the ticket and I am a bit uneasy about it, since we don't know if they will offer us relocation, and if they aren't keen to pay $400 for a ticket who knows how they will react to a $4000 relocation bill at least.

That is a VERY wise assessment you made, and it's likely that your gut instinct is correct on that one...

Hi all,

Steve went for his interview on Friday, he was supposed to have two, but on the way to the airport we were told the one company had cancelled. Steve said the interview went very well and we will know this week, what the answer is. He also has another interview on Monday morning, its a telephonic one with a company in Brisbane. And he is supposed to have on in Melbourne on Wed, but we have to pay for the ticket and I am a bit uneasy about it, since we don't know if they will offer us relocation, and if they aren't keen to pay $400 for a ticket who knows how they will react to a $4000 relocation bill at least. Will let you know as soon as we have more info.

Thanks guys!!!

Candice

You may have to look seriously at a job like this even if you have to pay your own ticket and relocation. Unfortunately being on a 457 or looking for a 457 sponsor puts you in a position where you have little negotiating power. At the moment with the economic downturn I suggest looking at all possible jobs.

Hi Candice

How are things going with the job-hunt??

I am so happy in my new job! Whereas the previous job made me seriously re-think our move to Australia almost on a daily basis, the new job is showing me the real Australia and makes it feel more bearable to have gone through the hell and rigors of up-rooting our lives!! Also good to see that there is life after the motor industry and that the rest of the engineering industry seems to still be running on all cylinders. :magic:

There has been a small, but irritating, hick-up in the visa that I only found out about after the visa has been granted. :king: The lady at the office thought that the visa would only be valid for two years and thus only applied for the job nomination to be for two years... even though I indicated on my visa application that I want it for four years, they could thus only grant it for two years. Now we would most probably have to go through the whole process again to extend it to four years. The case officer thought it would be silly, as I have been in the country for almost four months already and would thus be eligible for permanent visa in less than two years... choices, choices, worries, worries!! I can only tackle this in the new year anyway, but it is so frustrating on the 457 visa that there is always these technicalities and red tape to sour things up! :rolleyes:

Anyway... all of the best of luck and hope things work out soon.

Arno

Hi All!!!

Just wanted to let you know that we received a written offer this afternoon!!!!!!!! :) So happy to have this confirmation, of course its not over yet, but at least we have a job. Its in Canberra and the position starts 27 Jan. We have soooo much to do now, pack up house organise flights, temporary accom, movers etc. Its definately a lot more daunting this time then when we actually moved to Perth. They have also given us a relocation amount which makes things easier.

Our PR gets lodged tomorrow, so we are still hoping Steve's current company will continue to employ us until the visa is granted, otherwise we will have to still apply for another 457 visa. We will approach them tomorrow, hopefully they will be more willing to do this since we now have a signed offer on the table.

Thanks again, for all the support and the PM's even now asking if I have seen the latest job offers etc.

Arno, I am so glad that things are looking much better for you, I wouldn't try and convert to another 457 just go for the PR this time!

Candice

Oh wow that is awsome Candice!!!!! you must be so relieved!!!! I am sure once you settle in you will get to like Canberra even though it was not your city of choice. Congratulations on the written offer!!

Canberra was not my city of choice, but then again neither was Perth and I love it here. It will just be like another adventure and I am only 3 hours away from Sydney now, which is where my aunt lives. Its also much closer to all the places we still want to visit on the East Coast. I am sure Canberra will be absolutely great to live in and we can live in a more rural area which I have wanted to do since before we left SA. I know God's plan for my life is good and he will lead me exactly where I need to go.

Candice

Congratulations Candice & Co. All part of the big adventure. We often remind ourselves that we grow in the hard times.

Pity you left Perth :-(

God Bless

Congratulations! Good news for Christmas :) Good luck with the move. Sure you will love Canberra too. All the people we have met from there are extremely friendly and helpful.

I am so happy for you Candice and for you too Arno

I have no doubt that in several months time you will both look back and think, yes that was a stressful time but both be enriched and happier with your new experiences.

Congratulations and a very Merry Christmas to you both.

AndreaL

Great news. Goodluck with the next couple of weeks. I will still keep on praying as this is not over yet, it is only the beginning.

Wilma

Fantastic Fantastic news :thumbdown:

I hope things work out and all goes well.

Good luck with the move and enjoy the new adventures.

Cheers

Narms

So happy that things are working out. This must have been a terrible time for you and your family. But as has been said, it all makes you that much stronger and wiser once you have pulled through it and one day the reason for all this will be clear. You will end up where you are meant to be.

All the best

Candice

I am breathing a sigh of relief for your part, wonderful news, I hope that you are really happy there.

Cheers,

Jeanne

Congratulations! Canberra is a very welcoming city, great sense of community. Look here: http://www.liveincanberra.com.au/events.html - if you register for the welcome events program you receive invitations to complimentary outings. Several South African families belong to the program ..

Have a fantastic Christmas and all the very best in 2009!

Hi Candice ,

I feel for you .My son who is in Melbourne, also got retrenched today !This is not as bad for him ,as it is for you,as he is at UNI but he is still really devastated , luckily is on a permanent visa so will start looking for something else .I wish you all the best with finding ano sponser soon !

P.S.Not that it makes any of us feel better but I also heard that my cousin who lives in South Africa was retrenched today, so I think it is happening everywhere.

Quick update ,my son got a new job ( in fact a better one about two weeks ago) - starts on Monday !

Praise God! That's fantastic! Congratulations! Very glad for you.

Good luck with the move and let us know how things are going.

P & L

Quick update ,my son got a new job ( in fact a better one about two weeks ago) - starts on Monday !

Nice one Donne', good to know that there are still jobs available and good ones at that!!

Great news, Candice!

And what a wonderful Christmas gift to your family...isn't it amazing how things always seem to work out?

Good luck with the move.

zorba

Hey Candice & Donne - I am so pleased for you guys!!!!

I think we should all spare a thought for all those in this situation... The company I work for has folded, and having a South African holding company about 60% of staff are Saffers and probably half of those are on 457's. fortunately the rest of us (incl me) aren't about to be kicked out the country as we have PR - but the current market is dire and it seems finding sponsors is very difficult at the moment.

to add to the stress, about 10 (incl me) have literally just bought houses and moved in over the past 2 weeks.

That said - anyone looking for some very competent engineers (of all disciplines) and designers please contact me. We've all got a strong work ethic and work as a very cohesive team - basically an entire design office up for grabs.

Hi Overtaker

So sorry to hear that you have been retrenched, and that goes for the rest of your department as well. Good luck!

If any of you need to come to Melbourne for interviews, I am always willing to offer a bed for the night, and a shoulder!